PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Glow & Gas to Electric Conversion forum on WattFlyer.com

admin
07-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the Giant Electric Aircraft forum on WattFlyer.com

Post & talk about your latest projects, building techniques, setups, power tips, photos, etc

James J. Keeney
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Just saw the thread. Glad to find interest in giant electrics. Sure seems to be growing of late. When I first decided to convert to electric I was in a quandry as to where to find enough power for my IMAA interests. That is no longer a problem. I even wheedled a raise in my allowance from my money manager (otherwise known as a wife). I told her that while this hobby is indeed expensive, it's a lot cheaper than chasing women and drinking whiskey.

I built and flew the SR Batteries Fokker E-1. Beautiful kit! Used an ACTRO 40-6 with 9s3p TP 6 A/hr LiPo battery swinging an 18-8 wood prop. Lifts off in about 25 feet at 16 pounds.

Currently finishing a 96" ws Kangke Rearwin Speedster. It is using a Plettenberg 370/50/A3 w/170 Amp ESC by Schulz. I have a wooden 20*10 prop on it. Just have to install the windshield and battery restraint. Also decided to change those horrible Chinese wheels. Already changed out the control rods. They would not thead into the supplied clevises properly. Other than that the big ARF is just fine. No wrinkles and everything fits well. Looks pretty good too in cream w/red trim.

Their 98" ws Monocoupe is next. Will try an AXI 5330 in it.

As I described in another thread, I am also building a FunAero 1/4 scale British WWI SE-5a biplane. I'm looking at an AXI 5330 for that one too.

Just got the plans for an 80" WWII British Mosquito. This will require two AXI 4130's I think.

If you think I like Model Motors AXIs you could be right. They are relatively inexpensive and have a terrific warranty from Hobby Lobby. I very foolishly burned up two 4130s by pushing them too hard. Hobby Lobby replaced both of them (including one way postage) even after I explained how I had abused them. It seems that their warranty is UNCONDITIONAL! I buy as much of my stuff as I can from Hobby Lobby now.

So, all you big airplane nuts, lets hear from you and get some dialog going.

Mike Parsons
08-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Hello...my name is Mike Parsons and I am a big plane-a-holic :D.

Good to have you here Jim! Do you fly with the Friendly Flyers in Jerzy? My In-laws live right off of HWY 81 and 138. Right down from where the big pig used to be :).

Cheers,
Mike

James J. Keeney
08-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Hi Mike,
I used to fly with the "Friendly Fliers" until they became not so friendly and refused to follow AMA rules. Now I am with the Newton County R/C Fliers. They (we) are a real nice group with a lot of diversified interests.

I live on Lake Jackson about 12 miles South of Covington. Our field is on Lackey Road just off GA 36 about five miles South of Covington. Stop by any Sunday after noon. Earlier if you are only electric. Gas and glow are too noisy for the churches nearby. Sunday is a sure thing for flying activity. Most late afternoons also has a few fliers, weather permitting. The field has a big sign out by the Lacky Road entrance that says "Home of the Newton County Radio Control Fliers" and the field is named for the head of the county commisioners which I am embarrased not to remember at the moment (politically incorrect?:o ) I'm getting pretty old so I am allowed a few "senior moments";) .

Whatcha flyin'?

Mike Parsons
08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I am familiar with the NCRF and Varner Field. I havent been down there yet, but have kept up with you guys via your website. I have only been the the Friendly Fliers one time for a fly-in when I first started in this hobby a few years back. I hate to hear that about them.
My main bird is an Extremeflightrc 50cc Yak-54 http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20. Lots of fun. I am on the prowl for a pattern ship to convert. Also dabbling in the possibility of converting a 100cc plane for SEFF with the same power setup that is in the 50cc Yak.

-Mike

James J. Keeney
08-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Hey Mike,
I saw your Yak at SEFF I think; and in the other thread. Very impressive! Those Cyclon motors spark a lot of interest. The price you mentioned for the tandem twin is not bad compared to some other EP systems. At least for the motor part.

I know what you mean about figuring up the total cost of an airplane. I did that once and was never able to enjoy flying it after that. One cannot put a price on ones enjoyment. I allocate a budgeted allowance per month and consider it spent as soon as it goes in the "hobby fund". Sometimes there's a surplus and sometimes there's a shortage, but I never worry about it. If I see something I want, I buy it, if there's enough in the fund. If not, I wait awhile. Converting to Giant Scale Electric put a pretty big dent in the old strongbox. Selling off a forty year accumulation of gas and glow stuff has helped a lot.

The wife once wondered if I really needed that much stuff. I told her that if I wanted it, I needed it. Problem with that is, she has adopted the same philosophy. Oh well, these are supposed to be the "Golden Years" anyway.

Keep your batteries charged.

Matt Kirsch
08-05-2005, 08:59 PM
James,

It's okay if she adopts the same philosophy, so long as she adopts the ENTIRE philosophy right? As in, if she wants something that exceeds the budget, she waits and saves up, or sells off some of the other stuff to make up the difference!

SteveD
08-28-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm considering getting into giant scale electrics.I have lots of experience with big gassers and would like to try something like a big Hosteller 108 Stinson.I haven't seen the plan but apparently it's designed with electrics in mind.I have no experience with electrics yet but may give it a try.Anyone see this plan and have any comments on it or the power requirements?..Steve

Joacim
08-28-2005, 10:53 PM
Have been flying some big birds and are curently involved in som big projekts, best motors for big planes have been the Actro Köhler, 32, 40 and 60, testing setups and new systems for big epower planes. I need bigger stuff... ;) (big plane-a-holic )

:rolleyes:

pardus
09-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi all, I'm looking for some info on a large profile Yak 54(?) that I saw on some photo's of SEFF '05. It has an Axi 5330 in it and had a Hobby Lobby sticker on too. Anyone know who it belongs to or where I can get some more info on it?

thanks
Graham

Mike Parsons
09-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Hi all, I'm looking for some info on a large profile Yak 54(?) that I saw on some photo's of SEFF '05. It has an Axi 5330 in it and had a Hobby Lobby sticker on too. Anyone know who it belongs to or where I can get some more info on it?

thanks
Graham
Graham,
It is made by Nikitis Aircraft Company (http://www.nikitisaircraft.com/). I am not sure it is released yet, but I understand Hobby Lobby has plans to carry it.

pardus
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks Mike
Myself and a friend are in the process of building something similar, so just scouting around for info. Love to know what it's weight is.
Can't find anything on the nikitas website and nothing (yet) on Hobby Lobby.

cheers
Graham

Mike Parsons
09-01-2005, 03:44 PM
No problem. From the conversations I had at SEFF, it was still in the beta stage. Might be worth a phone call though. Weight if I recall correctly was 10-11 lbs.

A10FLYR
09-01-2005, 07:16 PM
If you think I like Model Motors AXIs you could be right. They are relatively inexpensive and have a terrific warranty from Hobby Lobby. I very foolishly burned up two 4130s by pushing them too hard. Hobby Lobby replaced both of them (including one way postage) even after I explained how I had abused them. It seems that their warranty is UNCONDITIONAL! I buy as much of my stuff as I can from Hobby Lobby now.

Jim, I've had the same GOOD experiance with HL. Fantastic company! It seem that every time they do good on a warrenty for me I end purchasing another motor or two! I've had real good success with AXI as well. (They can take a lot of pushing!).

.60 size U-CAN-DO AXI 4120
Excite .90 AXI 5320
Frontier Senior video plane AXI 4120
Arianne motor glider AXI 4120
A few 2826 size planes, Magic, Sweet Stick, motergliders.

Milton
09-08-2005, 03:32 AM
Jim
Just seen this thread and see that you are converting a Rearwind Speedster, I have converted one and flew it for the first time last Sunday and all seems to have gone well. Had it a little tail heavy which made the elevator and trim a little sensitive.
Set up is a AXI 5330/18, 8S lipo batteries and a CC HV 85 ESC with a 20-10 Zinger prop. Had plenty of power for sports flying.
Below is a link to a video a club member made
http://whodafigured.com/drones/milton.wmv

Hope to go out this weekend and try to fine tune to get a little better flight.
Milton

SteveD
09-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Nice bird Milton,I would like to do a Turbo prop Beaver or something that has a turbine in it like a Turcano in giant scale.I would also like add something that simulates the whistle of an turbine without actually installing the real one.Any ideas out there ?I think an electric system that simulates a turbine could be very scalelike indeed. Maybe there is something off the shelf thats available?

James J. Keeney
09-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Looks good Milton, I've been out of the shop for a while but your video got me re-enthused. Hope mine flys as well as yours. Or is that dependant on pilot skills? Mine are deteriorating rapidly with age. I can honestly say "The older I get the better I used to be."

Milton
09-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Jim
Mine set in the garage for 1 1/2 years and your post got me fired up. I had it set up with a 46cc gas engine and took it of and converted it to electric.
When you get yours set up come and visit with us at the Drones. I know it is a ways for you dirve but would be nice to see them side by side.
Next time you see Dave tell him that Milton said hey. When are you going to have another flyin.
Milton

Electrick
10-09-2005, 08:50 AM
I dunno if it qualifies as 'giant scale', but i'm doing an electric conversion of the one-fifth scale Great Planes PT-17.

Redoing some of the not-so-scale bits like landing gear, wing struts, flat plate tailfeathers and such. Recovering in an all-yellow Navy scheme. Planning to use a Feigao 540812XL brushless with 5.2:1 gears and an 8S2P LiPo.

Work is underway.

Rick

Twmaster
10-09-2005, 05:50 PM
So does a 72 1/2" Sig Rascal count as 'Giant' Scale? She has a Kontronik 600-17, Jazz 40 ESC, Inner Demon 3:1 gearbox and Kokam 4S1P 2100 Lipos.

I just acquired her after her previous owner got fed up with her as a result of another crash (see port wing LE) and made me a deal.

Sexy birdy!

http://www.twmaster.com/stuff/big_rascal.JPG

ragbag
10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I didn't know that the forum was changed to Giant Electric Conversions.
Guess my LT 25 Doesn't count either. It's only 63".

Mybe we can start another forum for the mid size Glo & Gas Conversions.
By George

ragbag
10-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Ohio Model planes has several Yak profiles, kit and arfs.

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/

Phone orders 9am-2pm M-F ET 937-429-3056..For other info please contact us.

79" Yak-54 P ARF

Actual trim scheme shown.
The 79" Yak-54
Profile ARF

Wingspan: 79"
(Two piece wing!)
Wing Area: 1580 sq in
Length: 72.75"
Approx. Weight: 11 lbs
Engine: 1.4 - 1.8 2-strk,
1.8 4-strk, 30cc gas

- Review Coming Soon

- Pilot Testimonials

Trim by John McNees.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click To Enlarge NOW INCLUDED WITH 79" Yak-54 ARF

Hand picked by OMP's Chief Engineer as only the best for the best. Nuts and bolts by USA Hardware. The tailwheel is by Ohio Superstar and the remainder is by Dubro. An OMP exclusive is the carbon fiber composite control horns which are the best found anywhere. These things are light and like steel.

Don't forget, Tetherite landing gear is also included too!

Construction is all wood built up 2 piece wings, tail feathers, and a foam core fuselage. The outer wing panels are removable for easy transportation. We use a quality aluminum wing tube instead of wooden splines and slots to assure a solid and dependable wing. A wide variety of engines offer good performance including the OS 1.60 FX. However, add the YS 1.40 and you have a true 3D monster.

More info on the YS 1.40 FZ Super SizeYour Order

Add a YS 1.40 FZ for only $769.95 combined

NOW AVAILABLE
OMP 79" Yak-54 ARF for AeroFly Pro

Download It Now!

Don't have AeroFly Pro? Get it here.

MORE PICTURES & VIDEOS

Buy Now
ARF Price: $329.95

SOLD OUT
Next shipment unknown

Shipping ARF or Combo:
$39.95

We accept these payment methods through our Merchant Account, PayPal. PayPal account not required.

Order 79" Yak-54 ARF

Order 79" Yak-54 ARF
With YS 1.40 FZ Engine

Phone, fax or email us your order click here. For bulk orders click here.

We can ship this ARF anywhere in the world. All orders outside the lower 48 USA must call or email us for a shipping rate quote. Please include your City, State or Province, Country and Postal Code.

turnwaldw
10-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Glad to others converting large scale planes I am currently working on a GTM DVI that I am going to electricfy. Wife dont understand why I like big airplanes when there are so many cute small ones she says. At the recent Dayton air show Balsa USA had there 1/3 scale DVII there wife said thats would be a nice one to have:D maybe its in the future since she likes it I wonder what it would take to get a 40-45lbs plane in the air with electrics.

ragbag
10-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Here is the LT 25 that I am working on. Came in at 4# 8 oz. loaded for flight.

By George

2624 2625

2626 2627

jb48
10-23-2005, 01:38 PM
What was the weight before conversion? I too would like to convert my Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer .40 to e-power. What would be necessary for a good conversio? Any suggestion?

ragbag
10-24-2005, 12:08 AM
It started as a kit. The following is the specs for a fuel set up airplane. 4# - 4 1/4#.

KADET LT-25
Recommended Engines:
.25-.32 cu. in. 2-Stroke
.20-.26 cu. in. 4-stroke
Wingspan: 63 in.
Wing Area: 724 sq. in.
Weight: 4 to 4 1/4 lbs.
Wing Loading:12 to 13 oz./sq.ft.
Radio Required:4-Channel

My weight is with both batteries fully charged.;) Go to the thread I started on the LT 25 and you can glean the necassaries from it.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012

In the thread I stated that I am using a 11x7 MAS prop, that will be a 13x8. I thought I was going to have a clearance problem, not so though.

By George