PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about motor requirements

bdane
09-15-2005, 01:52 AM
I am completely new to RC planes however thats not what I'm here about. I am here because I am doing a scratch build of an experimental plane the Coast Guard will be using in the next few years or something like it (it's still in testing, hence experimental) anywho, I would like to make it a scale build but for that to be true I would have to run two 3 blade 20-8 props. First off I dont even know if such a thing exists. And second I havent found a motor that will turn those behemouths. So my questions are does such a motor exist (I am almost certain this is yes or there wouldn't be a thread about giant scale planes) and what other components would be needed. Speed controllers, batteries and the such. Thank you

aeropal
09-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Wrong approach . . begin with a trainer aircraft that you can realistically build and fly . . progress to your "dreams" as your knowledge and flying skills allows.

bdane
09-15-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm not sure, I don't feel like spending $500 on a trainer that eventually will just sit around my house after I build my dream plane.

aeropal
09-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Detroit area resource: Electric Flyers Only (http://members.aol.com/KMyersEFO/)

Steve
09-15-2005, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't be looking for any electric plane to drive props that size! Yikes...you're talking about a huge project that will demand a great deal of building skill, technical knowledge and MONEY. Are you being paid to build this monster? I mean....is it your job to build this thing, or is it just something you want to do on your own?

Twmaster
09-15-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure, I don't feel like spending $500 on a trainer that eventually will just sit around my house after I build my dream plane.

Not to sound harsh but with that approach you are setting yourself up in a hurry for a rebuild of your dream.

Crawl, walk, run then fly.