PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: Defective HobbyZone (Firebird Freedom) Electronics

cbatters
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Playing around with a defective HobbyZone Firebird Freedom receiver and would like to get a couple more defective receivers to use for spare parts.

Happy to pay shipping and handling to get a fwe more receivers to see what parts are failing.

TIA,

Clint

cbatters
11-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Update:

All I really need is a functioning replacement PIC chip or a binary file of the program in the PIC and I will burn one myself. (I haven't checked but I am assuming that the copy bit in the PIC is locked.)

I may have to buy another "dead receiver" Freedom and see if it has failed in the same mode. Seems odd that the PIC is functioning well enough to center the servos but is not responding to what appears to be valid PWM signals from the transmitter.

Clint

Sparkycp
12-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Have 2 That Are Doing the same thing I have replaced the ceramic filter and whatever that silver thing is that selects the channel but no change this seems to be a common problem I also have a commander 2 with the same problem if you figure it out let me know I want to fix them.

cbatters
12-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Have 2 That Are Doing the same thing I have replaced the ceramic filter and whatever that silver thing is that selects the channel but no change this seems to be a common problem I also have a commander 2 with the same problem if you figure it out let me know I want to fix them.

Not sure from your description if you are talking about the ceramic resonator for the CPU or the ceramic filter for the RF section. The right place to start is by looking at the PWM input to the CPU. If the PWM signal looks good, there is no reason to touch the RF front end.

Mine resets fine on power up and centers the servos, has a valid PWM signal on pin 7, but does not respond to changes in the PWM signal.

I have fixed a couple Commander receivers by fixing bad solder joints and one of them needed to have the quadrature adjusted in the demod section. If you send me one of the defective Freedom receivers for parts, I'll see if I can get your Commander receiver running.

Signal description of the CPU to make it easier for you to check signals with a scope.

1 - Servo potentiometer wiper (L) (linear 0->VCC)
2 - Servo potentiometer wiper (R) (linear 0->VCC)
3 - 35% of Battery Voltage (voltage divider with small filter)
4 - ACT input (voltage divider between upper / lower sensor)
5 - VCC
6 - CN4 jumper (10K to ground - jumper to VCC)
7 - PWM input (also pin 3 of xport)
8 - 1000 Ohm to pin 2 of xport / Motor FET (combat module grounds this line to disable motor)
9 - Resonator (xtal)
10 - Resonator (xtal)
11 - Power on reset RC
12 - GND
13 - Forward servo FET drive (L)
14 - Reverse servo FET drive (L)
15 - Forward servo FET drive (R)
16 - Reverse servo FET drive (R)

Clint

cbatters
12-05-2006, 01:56 PM
BUMP BUMP

Still looking for some more defective Freedom / Challenger receivers to figure out what is failing.

Happy to pay S&H to get my hand on a few more receivers (Freedom / Challenger or any 3 channel receiver)

Clint

Sparkycp
12-06-2006, 08:11 PM
Just put a freedom motor in a commander II with a 10.8 batt. what a kick. First flight was a little rough as it went striaght up of about 50 ft. After that I lowered the throttle to about 1/4 and it was still wanting to climb but would stall and dip. So after bringing it in for a picture perfect landing ha-ha. I shimmed the wing and it flew great. Very fast.
By the way I will see what shipping is on one of the freedom boards I have and you can pay me through paypal for the shipping. I will send it if you want it. Its a channel 4

cbatters
12-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Just put a freedom motor in a commander II with a 10.8 batt. what a kick. First flight was a little rough as it went striaght up of about 50 ft. After that I lowered the throttle to about 1/4 and it was still wanting to climb but would stall and dip. So after bringing it in for a picture perfect landing ha-ha. I shimmed the wing and it flew great. Very fast.
By the way I will see what shipping is on one of the freedom boards I have and you can pay me through paypal for the shipping. I will send it if you want it. Its a channel 4

Even the stock Commander motor generates too much speed / lift at full throttle with the high lift Commander wing. I bet you had your hands full with the larger motor.

RE: RECEIVER
That would be great. Just PM me your PayPal address.

Clint

Sparkycp
12-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Just got done flying it again it flies great. It will do a full loop with that motor but you are right you have to really control the throttle. It takes off in 6 ft. with no wind. Brings 2 channel fligh to a whole new level.

cbatters
12-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Just got done flying it again it flies great. It will do a full loop with that motor but you are right you have to really control the throttle. It takes off in 6 ft. with no wind. Brings 2 channel fligh to a whole new level.

Freedom with a 10.8V battery would be a handful as well! What capacity / weight is the 10.8 battery?

Clint

Sparkycp
12-07-2006, 01:44 AM
The batt is one from the parkzone p-51 its wieght is 7 oz and cap is 1000 mah just about 4 total oz added to the commander 2 with all the upgrades Freedom motor only weighs 1 oz more than the original 380 This thing is a hoot.

cbatters
12-08-2006, 01:14 PM
The batt is one from the parkzone p-51 its wieght is 7 oz and cap is 1000 mah just about 4 total oz added to the commander 2 with all the upgrades Freedom motor only weighs 1 oz more than the original 380 This thing is a hoot.

Sounds like a blast! Let me know if you see any good deals on 9.6V or 10.8V battery packs that would fit in a Freedom.

Clint

Sparkycp
12-12-2006, 05:00 AM
Check Out This Item On Ebay Item number: 120063493865
3 battery packs