PDA

View Full Version : Decathlon's near demise

Duster52
07-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I was having a ball flying my Wattage Decathlon ep ARF. It's a tiny plane with a 28 inch wingspan. I have it powered with a BP-21 Brushless and Kokam 1500 11.1v Li-Po. With this setup the plane was zipping thru the sky and going vertical! I got carried away and let it get too far from me, to the point that I could no longer tell what was what! It seemed no matter what control I tried it was the wrong one! I just let it go, hoping for a little luck, maybe, by it leveling itself out before hitting the ground. Naw, that was too easy! It chose to dive straight in!

It looked bad, but I was able to repair it and fly again!

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Ouch! I have been in that predicement before and it is a terrible one. Nothing seems to respond the way you want it to.

For such a tumble out of the sky, it doesn't really look that bad though. Glad to hear you were able to repair her.

Duster52
07-27-2005, 03:37 PM
It is a little heavier now, due to all the new glue!:)

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Yeah - I know how that goes - My first E-Starter gained considerable poundage due to her eventually being about 50%foam and 50%epoxy. Haw.

Duster52
07-27-2005, 03:56 PM
For that matter, it's the same thing with my stearman. It was just getting too heavy. I put many hours on that plane. Wrecked it on the maiden, you know, the ole reversed aileron syndrome! I swear I checked everything ten times before I took off! I had a brushless setup on it and it took off like a bat outa you know where at a 45 degree angle and at about 50 feet I turned to the right.....................broke it in half and broke one wing into two pieces!:eek: First flight! Sorry, no photos! I didn't wreck it again for a long time, which ended up being a tree magnet! Broke up when it hit the ground after I knocked it down.:D

The last time it went down was the first time I took it to the club and forgot to take out the Feather receiver and put in a good one. Yep, shot out of the sky, spiraled out with no control. I just took the electric's out and retired it.:( I want to get another one some day.