PDA

View Full Version : Plane Stuck in Tree - HELP!

frvrngn
09-15-2005, 07:37 PM
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif Took my Stryker out today to maiden its new voyage after just last night fixing up everything. Flew great right up to the point that it stalled and dove into a tree. How do I get this bird down?!? I guess its 40-50ft straight up. I can see it clearly and its inverted in a "v" of a branch with the motor side down.

Tried:
1) Rocks/Sticks - not even close. I am still way off the mark height wise. Problem is throwing nearly straight up. Thought about going back with a baseball or something I can get a better grip on. I dont know if I hit it if it would even come out though.

2) Long extended pole tree trimmer. No luck, at full extension I am still not even half way. The branch is too thick to cut and I cant get any leverage at full extension any ways.

3) Went to Walmart and got folding slingshot, 3/4 size teardrop lead weight with swivel, 30# test line and 100 ft of nylon rope. - No Luck. I dont know if there is too much weight or drag, but it wont even come close to clearing the plane. Even if I pull all the way back on the slingshot (and I'm 6'2" with some long arms) its just doesnt go. Smaller weights/lighter line?? Even tried to go mediavel on it and wrapped the rope around a rock and tried to spin and fling the rock over. And noooo....

4) Thought about going back to Walmart again and getting a kids bow set and trying to send an arrow up an over. Problem is getting the arrow at enough of an angle to go over and clear foliage. Bigger problem is its in a city park and I dont know how they would feel with me walking in there with a bow! Before I get flamed - this is in an abandoned area of the park way back. I honestly dont even know if its part of the park, it looks like waste land that might be used for a development soon (they are building next door to the park). I wouldnt be able to hit a person with a bow or anything else back there if I tried. Its a hike just to get there from the parking lot. There are a lot of wild deer and even turkeys so I dont want the park people getting all bent out of shape thinking I am going hunting with a kids bow set.

5) Last - I have a 20ft ladder. Getting to the tree would be interesting, and then getting the ladder up the tree would be even more interesting. There are no branches until about 10ft up then its thick. I am thinking if I can get to that point to just try and climb the tree. That would be a last resort, the branch its on is quite ways out from the main trunk and even if I could get up there I dont know if I could shake the branch enough to get it loose.

So, with all the knowledge on here I have to be missing something, right? Any suggestions, jokes, or laughs are welcome at this point...

bsoder
09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
potato cannon? I've not heard it suggested before, but I built one a year or so back that would chuck potatoes ~400 yards. Should be easy to build a smaller one that would throw perhaps a balled up sock or two (soft enough to not destroy things?) plenty far.

frvrngn
09-15-2005, 07:51 PM
:eek: That would be funny. I bet it would work though. I built them way back in science class that fired tennis balls. Ohhh, that brought up another idea. The petstore sells these HUGE slingshots for firing tennis balls. Not only might that knock my plane down, but my dogs would like it. Hmm, may have to go shopping yet again.

bsoder
09-15-2005, 08:30 PM
the tennis ball slingshot is probably the best idea. If you DO go with the potato gun, you'd probably want to do a fair amount of testing first. When we built ours, we tested it with some limes, firing across my backyard (~ 50 feet) on an absolutely flat trajectory into a block wall. The limes simply disintegrated against the wall, leaving a large wet splat. :) Probably too much force for gently knocking a plane out of a tree. ;)

John Seidelman
09-15-2005, 10:54 PM
My Niehbor had one that shot 16 inch softballs almost out of sight using a small shot of either for fuel. (TO MUCH POWER TIM ALLEN)

bsoder
09-15-2005, 11:06 PM
ever seen the guy who uses a piece of pipe (thick wall, no idea how thick) as a mortar, to shoot 16lb bowling balls? he gets 800-1000 yard range. :)

kinda OT but still funny... and heck, if you get a cessna stuck in a tree, who knows, mabye you'll need a bowling ball cannon. :)

klangooooo
09-16-2005, 02:40 AM
How about go to the people who keeps up the park and ask for their help. Might get a few chuckal's but they might be abel to help. Or see if you can bring in some sort of lift that will go up that high or a tree triming out fit might help.klangooooo.

soarr
09-16-2005, 02:50 AM
Can you hire a tree trimmer? they may have equipment long enough to reach. you may have to pay for the service but it might be cheaper than buying a new plane. Get it approved with the park first.

flashover
09-16-2005, 02:54 AM
I've climbed a tree a couple of times for my planes.

Tinlid
09-16-2005, 11:26 AM
TREE'S TREE'S TREE'S what is it with tree's first flight first plane teaching myself feeling real proud got it up in the air manage to keep it there then the esc cuts's in no problem it's gliding nicely just turn the plane in to the wind and try some sort of landing starting to turn then CLUNK i'm sure the plane was in front of that tree when i started that turn but oh nooo! lesson number one the tree is always closer than you think.

Steve
09-16-2005, 11:34 AM
I've seen a lot of these posts. Looks like the most successful retrievals were using a fishing rod with a sinker. Cast up and over the branch. Get the sinker hung up on the branch and start shaking it to loosen the plane. Be ready to catch it when it drops!. You could also tie on a heavier line and pull it up and back over the branch if the fishing line proves to be too weak.

Good luck

frvrngn
09-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Its stuck up there pretty good. We had a small weather front roll through about 2 hrs ago. The wind kicked up nice so I went out to watch for the plane. Well, it moved - its now down a few feet but wedged in even better. The vertical stabs are now straddling a branch. We had some pretty strong gusts come through that shook the tree more than I could hope with a line. It didnt budge.

Since its all foam I think I am going to just try and spear a wing with the arrow/line and see if I can get it that way. Its still too high and far out to climb and I tried a 20 ft tree trimmer pole with a broom handle threaded into the end and that was still way short. It got rather wobbly as well. I dont think I could climb to where i can and use the pole to poke out at it.

I went looking for the park people today and they were not in the office. I am going to go tomorrrow to talk to them. They have to have a lift or something to change out the lightbulbs for the ball fields. Those are higher than my plane is. I just hope they can get to the tree...

Utahflyer
09-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Why not try climbing the tree and bringing an extendable pole with you (the kind you can buy to change lightbulbs on high ceilings)? It sounds like once you get past the first 10 feet you should be fine.
I have some experience here...When I first started flying, I went to a local park on my lunch hour to fly my J-3 and flew the plane directly into the top of a large pine tree. I had to pull a large garbage can over based on the fact the first 7-8 feet of the tree had it's branches cut off. I managed to climb the tree and get the plane down without any harm to me or the J-3. The funny part of the story is I was wearing a full suit and tie at the time! I no longer fly any of my planes around trees while wearing a business suit!

JWN
09-18-2005, 10:17 PM
I had to climb a walnut tree to retrieve my Jumping Jack on it's maiden flight. It was about 20 feet up trying to nudge it out with a long dead branch didn't produce any results. If you go up in the tree, go slow and be careful. You're back/neck/life is worth far more than that model.

ForestCam
09-18-2005, 11:11 PM
I've always looked at it like this, if what's inside the plane is worth more then the plane itself aim directly for it instead of over it. You have a much better chance getting it down with your weight and string through the plane.

The trick with a wrist rocket is to use a 1 oz. weight and 10 lb. test line. lay out enough line to more then reach the plane in large loose loops on the ground as to cause as little drag on the line as possible.
And remember when laying out the line lay it out the way it'll uncoil or you'll just end up just shooting a big rat's nest of line into the tree.

frvrngn
09-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Its down! I ended up using a 10ft a-frame ladder, stood on top of that and grabbed the limb the plane was on using 2 extended tree trimmer poles and a long fiberglass pole all duct taped together and pushed up through the branches. Once high enough to reach the bottom of the branch it was snagged on, I used the tree trimmer hook to grab the branch and shake the heck out of it. Down it came. Its in decent shape and found all the pieces. Nose cone was off, one vert stab was off, and there are two decent sized dents/gouges in the LE of the wing on both sides. Not bad, just needs some good and she'll be ready to fly in no time!

Utahflyer
09-19-2005, 03:40 PM
How about the battery? Is it completely dead from being plugged into the receiver all this time? Hope it's not irrepairably undercharged due to the constant draw of power all this time.

frvrngn
09-19-2005, 05:47 PM
Havent had a chance to check the battery yet. I had some relatives in from out of town over the weekend so I just brought it home and its back on the shelf. Need to work on it tonight and really give it a good going over. Its just the original NiMh that came with the plane, so its not a huge deal if its dead.

Steve
09-19-2005, 11:07 PM
Good for you!. I had a similar experience....twice. The first time, everything worked out well. The second time....not so good. Had to beat my plane to death to get the electronics back.:o

margotcopeland
09-20-2005, 12:05 AM
I've treed more planes then I care to mention...it seems to be a fact of life with RC planes :-)

I keep 4-5 10' sections of PVC pipe, starting at 2 1/2", then getting progressively smaller in diameter so each fits inside the next one and I get a telescoping pipe that gives me a total of 40'+ (you lose a bit due to needing to put each length inside the other enough for stiffness). I duct tape them together to the length I need when I get to the tree that ate my plane.

The cool thing is that I can put it in my car with just a bit of overhang. You'll probably need help after 2-3 lengths due to the weight and bend of the pipe.

This has worked every time, including a what seemed impossible 45" pine tree...they seem to be worst because of those little scraggly branches.

And whoever mentioned to ask the park manager for help...I've gone that route to much success! The one at my local park is a sweetheart and he loves RC planes! After he saved my Easy Star, I brought him a starter plane I wasn't using...now RCers have a fellow flyer and a super advocate :-)

Sometimes what seems to be a bad situation can turn around in the nicest ways.

Wattwhere
09-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Please forget the ladder. The risk of a broken back is not worth the cost of anything. The arrow is a good bet. Put a rubber eraser over the point and attach enough light nylon line near the tip with duct tape to allow the arrow to go over the branch and back to the ground. You can then hold both ends an bounce the branch to dislodge the plane.
Good luck.
Tom

John Seidelman
09-24-2005, 03:34 AM
You can use a bow and arrow with a fishing pole and reel. Just open the bail on the reel before you shoot and then after the arrow is up there you can tug away. It might help if you go to the archery store and get a fishing arrow that is designed just for this type of deal.

watt_the?!
09-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Nah none of this works...i tried it...you gotta get out the BIG GUNS like we did... we got the TV News down to ours as well...

this is where you'll need an essential accessory (that actually gets in the way of building and flying)- children. Use these to divert blame and potential costs...works a treat.

NitroCharged
09-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Go Tim!... takes a real man to blame the kids ;) I still use a Bow and arrow with line string tied to the arrow. Last time I got a model stuck in the tree my accuracy had become so good I actually speared the model straight thru the fuselage just behind the wings :)
I left the hole there as a momento of the 'incident'. :)

Soupcue
04-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Cut the tree down that way you dont have to worry about it next time.

Rosie
04-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Years ago my Livewire trainer landed in a very tall tree along the Columbia
river across from Vancouver, Wn . . At the time I coudn't find it but later in
the season when the leaves had fallen and I was driving across the bridge
I spotted it in the tree. Well, this tree was too tall for me to climb so I called
a tree surgeon who came out and rescued my plane for $5.00 . The best
$5.00 I have ever spent. I have had planes fly into trees a number of times
and have rescued most of them throwing ropes with weights into the trees,
but every case was different ...... I wouldn 't make any recommendations, but
if all else fails call a tree surgeon or the hydro guys with their cranes .....
but in any case ..... Good luck !

Rosie

vax6335
04-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Nah none of this works...i tried it...you gotta get out the BIG GUNS like we did... we got the TV News down to ours as well...

this is where you'll need an essential accessory (that actually gets in the way of building and flying)- children. Use these to divert blame and potential costs...works a treat.

So how much did your taxes go up for using the firetruck to get an airplane?.... hehe....

carlospq
04-02-2006, 11:40 AM
It's difficult but not impossible!

http://www.zippyvideos.com/1690292054422246/rescate_del_chochomona/

AEAJR
04-02-2006, 04:22 PM
No cutting down the trees. Mother Nature does not like that.

bry2254
04-04-2006, 11:43 PM
I think all of us have landed in one sooner or later.
I am a land surveyor, I have a 30 ft. level rod.
5ft to start and pull's out by section's, work's for me.
Find a surveyor or a contractor, I am sure they would let you use it.

Later Bry:)

Grasshopper
04-07-2006, 08:36 PM
If there is one tree within half a mile of the flying field, your plane will find it. Just listen for that "Giant Sucking Sound"

Spiderman_48
05-17-2006, 03:20 AM
This is what they do at the Joe Nall get-together!

http://www.joenall.com/joenall2/Carols%20picks/Tarzan.jpg

http://www.joenall.com/joenall2/Carols%20picks/bob%20rescue.jpg
Yep, that'll work.
:D

Aceldama
06-10-2006, 04:47 PM
I just yesterday purchased an AeroHog's Aero Ace for 30 dollars at the local Toys R' Us and I think it is pretty neat.

Long story short I've already managed to get it stuck in a rather large tree in the parking lot here at school, it looks to be about 20-30ft up in a branch. The sub 20g weight of the plane is making it rather hard to dislodge by throwing things at it and so far the tree has claimed the following: The plane itself, a 3 pack of irish springs wrapped in duct tape, a small water bottle, a half gallon jug filled partly with water.

As stated earlier the plane is only 30 dollars brand new but the idea of my plane being caught in the tree right outside is slowly driving me insane. I'm rapidly running out of ideas but I suppose I could attempt contacting apartment maintenance when they arrive on monday...

Anyway, this thread was a great read and full of great ideas I just can't really justify spending money on items used to attempt dislodging it when the plane itself was so cheap... wish I still had my paintball gun up here.

qban_flyer
06-10-2006, 05:14 PM
HE, HE, HE. :D

Back in the early 80s I managed to "park" a Sweet Sixteen atop a tree. :o

The Sweet Sixteen was a sixteen foot wingspan foam airplane, yet I managed to "park it" there. :eek:

Aceldama
06-10-2006, 10:50 PM
UPDATE. After sitting around trying to do work and not getting anywhere due to thinking about my plane I got up and went to home depot.

I purchased 50ft of nylon rope and 45ft of cotton cord. Also I purchased a 2in steel T section.

After probably 30 or more failed attempts I finally got the rope sitting right next to the plane on the branch. I shook the hell out of it and the plane fell into a lower branch, then the wind did the rest and it landed fine. Just did a quick charge and it still works.

firemanbill
06-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Cool AC, nice ingenuity!:D

Grasshopper
06-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Reminds me of when I was a kid. I got one of my rubber band powered gliders stuck in the neighbor's Buckeye tree. The neighbor was a cranky old woman that didn't want us in her yard so we were afraid to go get it. After dark we snuck over with a rope and a claw hammer tied to the end of it. Yeah not real smart but we were kids. Long story short, we got the hammer and rope wrapped around the limb and shook the plane out. Unfortunately, the hammer was then stuck (my Dad's hammer). The old woman heard us and came out yelling. We took off and when we returned the next morning to retrieve the hammer and rope, they were both gone. Probably lost $30 of hammer and rope for a 75 cent glider.

Good Memories!

adhoc
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Heh, compared to all your stories, my incident this morning was downright tame... But I have pictures, too!

I was having a nice morning flying my new Funny Park. Wind was relatively light (~4 mph), sun was out, nobody else in the park...

It was coming around and was a bit low and slow, headed downwind, and coming up on the grouping of trees and a small building in the middle the park. I could have (and in retrospect, should have) cranked it around towards me in a semi-tight turn, but instead I decided to let it go straight, behind the building.

I've done this once before, with my Easy Star, and that time I ended up whacking into a baseball backstop behind the building, but with no damage. But you'd think I would have learned my lesson that it is very hard to judge distances, and to really have an accurate picture of where things are behind an obstacle.

Anyway, I think I realized it was a questionable move, and was trying to get my Funny higher (but without stalling, I just don't know the stall characteristics of this plane yet). Hmmm, what's the right word for the sound? Not "crunch" or "smack", this was less dramatic... maybe "shhhuck." Damn, up near the top branches of a tree behind the tree next to the building. (Compared to the stories in this thread, this is a relatively short tree.) At least it doesn't appear to be damaged...

This is where it is nice to live across the street from the park. I walk home, get a ladder and a rake, walk back. Hmmm, not enough, not even close... Walk back home, get three curtain rods and some duct tape, walk back. Rig up the curtain rods on the end of the rake, try again. Takes a good 10 minutes -- that tree did NOT want to let go of my bird!

Finally I get it out, but of course the fall to the ground breaks my Funny Park. Looks bad at first, but on reflection I think it should be a fairly simple repair. I think the body will be easier to glue than if I had crashed it nose-first and hurt the prop, cowling, motor, etc.

Oh well, live and learn... Still enjoyed the flight, and looking forward to the re-maiden... {smile}

qban_flyer
06-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Heh, compared to all your stories, my incident this morning was downright tame... But I have pictures, too!

I was having a nice morning flying my new Funny Park. Wind was relatively light (~4 mph), sun was out, nobody else in the park...

It was coming around and was a bit low and slow, headed downwind, and coming up on the grouping of trees and a small building in the middle the park. I could have (and in retrospect, should have) cranked it around towards me in a semi-tight turn, but instead I decided to let it go straight, behind the building.

I've done this once before, with my Easy Star, and that time I ended up whacking into a baseball backstop behind the building, but with no damage. But you'd think I would have learned my lesson that it is very hard to judge distances, and to really have an accurate picture of where things are behind an obstacle.

Anyway, I think I realized it was a questionable move, and was trying to get my Funny higher (but without stalling, I just don't know the stall characteristics of this plane yet). Hmmm, what's the right word for the sound? Not "crunch" or "smack", this was less dramatic... maybe "shhhuck." Damn, up near the top branches of a tree behind the tree next to the building. (Compared to the stories in this thread, this is a relatively short tree.) At least it doesn't appear to be damaged...

This is where it is nice to live across the street from the park. I walk home, get a ladder and a rake, walk back. Hmmm, not enough, not even close... Walk back home, get three curtain rods and some duct tape, walk back. Rig up the curtain rods on the end of the rake, try again. Takes a good 10 minutes -- that tree did NOT want to let go of my bird!

Finally I get it out, but of course the fall to the ground breaks my Funny Park. Looks bad at first, but on reflection I think it should be a fairly simple repair. I think the body will be easier to glue than if I had crashed it nose-first and hurt the prop, cowling, motor, etc.

Oh well, live and learn... Still enjoyed the flight, and looking forward to the re-maiden... {smile}Should be an easy fix with five minute epoxy. :)

airmail wf
06-23-2006, 04:00 AM
I got one stuck up about 65 feet in a tree. Wasn't able to cut this tree. I got a fishing rod, tied a large round washer on and started to cast. The washer worked great because it wouldn't snag on anything either going up or down. After about 300 casts (did I mention I was standing in 6ins of mud) I had the line just where I wanted it. Next I lower the washer to the ground. Then tied some thicker twine to the washer and pulled that thru the tree. After that I tied some heavy rope to the twine and pulled that thru. Once the heavy rope was in the tree I knew the rope wasn't going to break so I pulled the branch and shook the tree until the plane came out.

While I was doing this you know somebody had to walk by and say "Boy I hope that thing is worth at least a $100.00" This one was worth about $400.00. It was my favorite plane so really it was...priceless.:rolleyes:

Total Time over a two day period: 6 hours. The plane was in perfect shape. The li-po didn't last to long after that.

Bill G
06-24-2006, 06:20 AM
I once made a pole about 50 feet long, using every paint roller extension, scrap trim boards, duct tape, etc in the house. Very difficult to raise/control and was a bit short. I actually raised it, climbed up several steps on a ladder, and got it. Tougher than it sounds.

I tried one idea that probably would have worked for most treed planes:
Get a heavy stick about 1 foot long, tied to a rope. Throw it up, such that it wraps around a branch maybe 20 feet high, or so. Begin to pull and release the rope, timing it with the natural frequency of the tree, once you find it. Its kinda like the concept of generating a big wave in a swimming pool, from one end. You'd be surprised how much you can get even a very solid tree pitching, using this method.

tasan
07-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Well well, I have managed to get my plane stuck up in a 15 meter high tree. It is impossible to climb and it is in a very, very thick forest. I'm going to try the fishing rod idea tomorrow ;) I really hope I get this plane down! I waited at least 7 heart aching days to get it, and now it's stuck.

,,TASan

airmail wf
07-04-2006, 09:07 PM
TASan, Welcome to the forum. I hope you can get your plane back. Let us know what happens.

Richard Parkes
07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
I learnt the hard way when trying to fly solo without help a couple of decades ago. After many tree incidents I added another servo to the only spare channel. It was connected to a pin that let the wing bands loose. Usually the fuslage and most of the gear returned unceremoniously to earth, and on a couple of occassions the wings eventually came down but shredded - at least I got the other servo back !

I learnt to go fly on the sand dunes close to the beach, no trees but always far too much wind ! Oh hum. If it aint one thing its another

Richard

Denarky
07-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Looks to me like anybody with a strong R/C helicopter and some medium to light fishin line w/a big treble hook would jump on a chance like that!! I had a friend who loved to jerk perch with his.....looks funny too, little perch danglin and floppin at the end of a...... fishing chopper??!!~Denarky

Bill G
07-11-2006, 06:15 AM

I've done that twice before and got luckier than James Bond, in all his movies combined. One time I was coming out of a dive at speed, just when it was going behind trees, a good 100 yards away. Took my best guess to getting it level, got it back above the trees, over the top, and back home. Pure-D luck.

The second incident behind trees was even luckier. Its tough to guess control inputs, while your running at the same time, trying to get back in sight as soon as possible.

07-23-2006, 11:42 PM
I would never cut down a tree... (I may be a hipocrit???)

socal swimmer
08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
yea for me the hardest thing about rc is judging distances. one time i was flying my ss and i thought i knew where the tree was exactly, turned the plane so it would go in front of it with about 5-10 ft to spare, and the plane dissapears behind the tree, doesnt even hit it.

somone should sticky a thread at the top of this section with a list of all the different ways to get planes downw from trees.

aircruiser
08-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Well, whenever I'd get my aero ace stuck in a tree, if tennis balls didn't work, I usually end up just waiting for a good wind to come. Usually works, but in your situation, I dunno. I hat those V shaped branches. :eek:

nazgul
01-15-2007, 04:54 AM
It's difficult but not impossible!

http://www.zippyvideos.com/1690292054422246/rescate_del_chochomona/

That's the stick I need! 2 days ago I got my Air Hog AA stuck at the top of an 80' tree in the woods. I have no idea how to get that one down.:confused:

JWilliams
01-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I only got my first plane last weekend and after a total flying time of about 5 minutes it snagged insanely onto somebody's house. The unique circumstances under which it not only hit his house, but hit this part of it and then snagged with the wheel meant that it was never coming off. I went to the neighbor who was resistant to my climbing on his roof (it was freezing rain out there) but with a 20' ladder I bought from home depot I did get it off, though I admit climbing up during the freezing rain was a bit scary, but the plane was only up there about 3 hours and I presume it still works well--will try it this weekend.

Best idea I've read in this thread is the 10' long PVC tubes that can be duct taped together. Not climbing on a ladder or up a tree is a great idea. Although it's painful to have a plane sitting there taunting, it's really invaluable not to fall and break body parts.

That's the stick I need! 2 days ago I got my Air Hog AA stuck at the top of an 80' tree in the woods. I have no idea how to get that one down.:confused:For a height like that I think your best bet would have to be a solid bow and arrow and line, based on ideas in this thread.

Personally, yeah I'd cut down a tree to get a plane back if I had to.