PDA

View Full Version : President Bush is here.

Grasshopper
11-03-2006, 08:42 PM
As I type this, President Bush is at our local University speaking. He is in the building right next to my flying field (aka soccer fields). I was thinking about getting the Magpie AP up and taking some pictures but then I thought... huh...I bet I wouldn't even here the shot that drops me would I?.

My house is just a few blocks from the airport where the cargo planes came in with his cars. I was at home today at noon (unpacking my 2 new nitro models 52" P-38s) and a secret service helicopter was flying just above the tree tops in a grid pattern all around the airport and my neighborhood.

Probably not a good time to be out in the street with a transmitter huh?

firemanbill
11-03-2006, 08:57 PM
you might want to stay indoors for a bit...;)

He was just here a few weeks back for his dad's aircraft carrier christening. We stored the limos and the comm vehicles here in the station for a few days while everything was going on.

Them's some cool cars!

aviatordave
11-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Wow he sure does get around. He was here a few days ago too!

If anything, you would get your 15 minutes of fame if you got caught flying your 'spy' plane near him...followed by 15 years of solidary confinement! LOL

Dave

Grasshopper
11-03-2006, 09:39 PM
I can hear the slap of latex gloves now!

firemanbill
11-03-2006, 09:54 PM
There was a story in Hot VW's magazine a few years back that was written by one of the editors.

He was driving along the interstate in his 53 Split window Beetle doing all of 45mph when the presidents motor cade started to pass him.

Well if you know anything about old bugs you know on the early ones they had what is called Semaphores for turn signals. This little arm pops out of the side of the car behind the drivers side door and flashes for the turn signal.

Well he decides it would be cool to wave at the Pres with his turn sginal...:eek:

Can you imagine the reaction the secret service had to that!!!

He went on to tell the story of how he had to explain all that about how the car turn siganl worked at some undisclosed location while they decided it would be in the interest of national security to see what made the car do that...

and that was way before 9-11!

Probably best to not try and fly our little friendlies around him!!! LOL

gsk11740
11-04-2006, 12:49 AM
I don't even want to think about what they would do to my Bus for the oil slick it leaves behind! (bad pushrod tube seals) They'd probably think it was some kind of terrorist weapon.

airmail wf
11-04-2006, 02:17 AM
He really does get around. He has been to Pittsburgh about ten times this year. ENOUGH already.:p His wife was just here last week. Maybe we all can get together and turn our Tx on and drive the SS crazy. I have heard reports about RC interference when the Prez is in town. I guess it would be a good idea for them to jam the airways for safety reasons. Bad for us though.:mad:

firemanbill
11-04-2006, 04:13 AM
He really does get around. He has been to Pittsburgh about ten times this year. ENOUGH already.:p His wife was just here last week. Maybe we all can get together and turn our Tx on and drive the SS crazy. I have heard reports about RC interference when the Prez is in town. I guess it would be a good idea for them to jam the airways for safety reasons. Bad for us though.:mad:

This may have something to do with it... These are the Comm vehicles we had in the FD

How many antennas can you count??? Here's a hint... A lot!

gsk11740
11-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Those comm vehicles look like the cars and trucks of some Ham radio guys I know. Kind of like a porcupine on wheels!

Hey Bill, Considering what I've heard about the SS, I'm somehow surprised they let you take pictures of their vehicles!

airmail wf
11-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Those comm vehicles look like the cars and trucks of some Ham radio guys I know. Kind of like a porcupine on wheels!

Hey Bill, Considering what I've heard about the SS, I'm somehow surprised they let you take pictures of their vehicles!

Surprises me too. Hope you don't hear a knock knock on your door in the middle of the night. Bill are you there..... Bill !!!!!!! Must be out fighting a fire or something.:rolleyes: :D

firemanbill
11-04-2006, 03:24 PM
They were acutally quite frindly and said we could take all the pictures we wanted to as long as we didn't try to take any pics of the inside of them!:eek:

They did not need to tell any of us that twice.

This is my favorite pic form their stay... The guy behind me is the presidents driver.

gsk11740
11-04-2006, 04:34 PM
I think that's the first pic I've seen of you Bill. Don't take this the wrong way but somehow you look like someone that messes around with old VW's! Looking at that mustache (and sideburns?) of your's I'm thinking if you grew your hair long into a pony tail, you'd look right at home driving a VW Bus! :p

(Actually, I think I still have my old Army jacket somewhere! :rolleyes: )

firemanbill
11-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Not taken wrong at all G! I am real proud of my "stache" and my sideburns! After 20 years of having to keep it all short while in the USAF I am enjoying it while I still have it!

If it weren't for being in the FD still, I probably would have a ponytail! I guess I'm a closet hippy, minus the drugs anyway!... lol

gsk11740
11-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Not taken wrong at all G! I am real proud of my "stache" and my sideburns! After 20 years of having to keep it all short while in the USAF I am enjoying it while I still have it!

If it weren't for being in the FD still, I probably would have a ponytail! I guess I'm a closet hippy, minus the drugs anyway!... lol

LOL! "Closet Hippie". I like that! I could never get rid of my Bus although I did have to let the ponytail go. Wife wanted me to grow it back but there isn't enough hair left to grow anymore! :D

EpoweredRc
11-04-2006, 05:22 PM
wow cool pictures, yeah anntennas everywhere does look like a amatur radio opertors car, my parents are Amature radio operators but only have one anntenna on there car.

aviatordave
11-04-2006, 05:43 PM
neat pic Bill, its nice to put a face with some of the names here. Doesnt your hair interfere with your scba?

Dave

firemanbill
11-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Believe it or not I pass the fit test everytime! It doesn't really matter since I seldom put one on anymore nowadays, except to certify. I run the 911 center now so I am at the station most of the time.

gsk11740
11-04-2006, 06:16 PM
wow cool pictures, yeah anntennas everywhere does look like a amatur radio opertors car, my parents are Amature radio operators but only have one anntenna on there car.

I had 5 of them on my Blazer at one time. :D

Gary.
(W4GSK)

airmail wf
11-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Cool picture Bill. I was going to ask the same question as Dave. When I was a Vol. Firemen we couldn't have any facial hair because of the seal with the SCBA. Always wanted to keep the smoke out and the air in.:D

firemanbill
11-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah the Chief ain't real happy about it but I get a good seal every time!

Twizter68
11-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Bill, you look natural next to THAT car; SS is hiring.....be pretty intimidating to see someone who looks like a few Hell's Angels I used to know running next to the Boss' car!

airmail wf
11-05-2006, 04:48 PM
He would need some tats for the Hell's Angles look.

firemanbill
11-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Ha! new line of work for me... sounds interesting.:D lol

99m6z28
12-31-2006, 08:41 PM
I live near Crawford Texas and I actually work at the airport where he fly in at. It is pretty cool because I am on the flight line and I can get within feet from Air Force One. Not when he is there of course. The company I work for actually houses the 747 when he is in town. It is pretty cool to beable to see him fly in and out and watch the whole circus that goes on before he arrives at the airport. That is something some people will never get to see and I enjoy it everytime!