PDA

View Full Version : H9 T-34

FZSFL
11-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Has anyone built a Hangar 9 T-34 with retracts? I'm starting a build and would like some ideas about how to arrange things for easy battery change.

Piperfan
11-17-2006, 04:36 PM
hi,

You might be better posing this question in the glow to electric conversion forum. I have considered this plane for a conversion but have to many other projects right now. If you know how to build you should be able to create a hatch in the nose for battery placement. It may take some recovering or touch ups. There are some really good magnets to use for holding down the hatch. Or you could get a small latch for the hatch hold down.

I used fly with a guy who flew a glow version of this plane. He used to rip the nose gear out on occasion due to low wing in-experience. Its pretty far out on the nose and has a not so sturdy mount on the older yellow version. Hopefully they have upgraded it at that point. Your gona have to put the hatch in the top of the nose since you don't have much room under the nose with the retract hole and the cut out for the muffler. I wish they have planed on making this a gas or electric hybrid that could be powered either way. That way you wouldn't have this issue right now. If you did it right you could make a battery cover just in front of the canopy. I have not looked at this model closely so I don't know if you have the room. What battery have you settled on? Its gona take at least a 14.4v with a 3700mha capacity or larger to get this bird in the air. What motor have you chosen? You could always put some smaller packs in series to get the needed volts/amps. I recommend using a good light ply for the battery tray with velcro straps to hold the batteries from shifting. A common problem with most warbird conversions is they have short noses, adding to the balance problem. Your gona put a much lighter power plant in the nose than what is planed for. Hence getting the batteries up front as far as possible is crucial. Otherwise lead will be making a nice home on the nose. Take some photos of your progress and possible ideas. Don't cut untill you have firmly decided on course of action. I think this thread will get more feed back as you post your build progress.

FZSFL
11-17-2006, 06:57 PM
FYI, I have completed the model and it flys like a dream. I hope H9 comes out with more lightweight warbirds. Also, Great ground handling!

The nosewheel pushrod problem was solved by fashioning a lever pivoted outboard that allowed me to offset the pushrod. I then mounted the retract servo on the back of the former that contains the forward wing hold-down slot. The steering pushrod was make flexibleto go around the center of the fuse where I mounted a battery tray. Only problem is that I have to remove the wing to change batteries.

I'm using AXI 2826/12 on 5S Hyperion 3700 (2+3), 12 X 6 MAS prop. A little more power than an Eflite-46. Plenty of power for impressive flights.

max2112
11-19-2006, 11:12 AM
FZFSL,

I am pretty new to the hobby and a Hanger9 purchase is probably a few years away. In general are their kits worth the charged price? I mean fit and finish, durability, overall quality etc...

Am I right in thinking I should wait until I have an advanced skill level before getting one of their kits?

Thanks.
John

FZSFL
11-19-2006, 11:53 AM
max2112,
Hangar9 has some great models. I would rate them above most others in similar price range for quality.
For a beginner, I suggest their P-51 Mustang PTS ARF. I have not yet seen it E-powered, but it sure makes a great learning plane with great looks. I suggest you get some more experience before trying the T-34.

max2112
11-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the advice.

Piperfan
11-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Max2112,

Buy far H9 has some of the best ARF's out there today. I am hoping that they come out with a fleet of smaller,25 size war planes. There fit and finish is some of the best I have seen at this price point. I have several. As for the PTS trainer, I have seen it in the hands of a novice pilot. Its not as easy as it seems. The one flaw in the P51D PTS trainer is the main landing gear. It bends repeatedly to the point that the plane is practically belly landing. It continually needs re bending to the proper position. If as you say new to the hobby and not an accomplished pilot and your looking for a good trainer in a E power version, see the new Hobbico ElectriStar EP Select RTF, see link. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNVC0**&P=0

I have not seen this plane but as far as I know its the first 40 size trainer with E power available to the general public that I have seen. It will require a full size flying site though, not a park flyer for sure. The best flying planes are bigger because they are more stable in flight. This new plane from hobbico has good color contrasts, (making it easier to see in flight) a brushless motor, and full house controls. I got my dad a Hobbico glow trainer a few years back and it was well built and a great flyer. this new plane should be similar.

If your beyond the basic trainer in your flight experience the E-flite PulseXT mini is a really good plane. I just picked one up and I would say its one of the nicest planes I have ever flown. You will need to be Li Po savvy though. its designed around a 2100mha battery pack. Li Po batteries are safe with in normal operations, but beware, they can be dangerous due the fire hazard. They need to used with caution.

Good luck with the flying.

Piperfan
11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Hey FZSFL,

When are you going to show us some pix of that beautiful T-34? Please let us know what power system you decided to go with and stuff you used for the conversion to get it in air.

max2112
11-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks again for the good info.

I think until I retire I will just keep with the cheaper and smaller kits. As long as I'm in the Army I'm pretty much guaranteed to move every three years or so.

John