PDA

View Full Version : Balsa USA Taube

skyvolt12
09-16-2005, 02:33 AM
I saw this plane in Greg Convey Web site Web Hanger. It Interested me so I sent for the kit . It uses a Endoplama 16 t motor with a Great planes GD-600
gear box and 10T pinion. It will have 10 cells of 3300 NiMH from Cheap Batteries. I just recieved the monokote today. I should be able to have it done in a couple of weeks. Greg said it worked out good for him. :)
Skyvolt12, Kenny

Matt Kirsch
09-16-2005, 04:46 PM
It's definitely a good flyer. As I recall, Greg put his up in some pretty windy conditions at my club's electric fun fly a few years ago, and it handled them just fine.

Unless you've already got a stash, you may have trouble finding Kyosho Endoplasmas these days... Tower stopped carrying them, and Kyosho is in the middle of setting up its own distribution network in the USA. Unfortunately, there aren't any direct replacements; the Endo was in a class all by itself. No other motor has what it has for the cost.

For a few dollars more, consider an AXi 2820/10. It's a direct drop-in replacement for the Endo/gearbox combo. Spins the same props for the same Watts, except it's brushless so it puts more power to the prop. Plus, it's lighter and maintenance free.

skyvolt12
09-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi Matt, I have given that some thought already, but since I have the Endoplasma already I might as well give a go. I also have a Astro 15 geared brand new that I stole for 50 bucks. at a local flea market. A couple of members have bought AXI's and they are very happy with them. I wanted to go to LiPos but Im still a little leery about them. Im the cautious type I guess. It's probably old age HOHO :)

skyvolt12
12-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Hi Matt,
Heres an up date on my Taube 40 conversion. I had bench tested the motor combution with the 10T pinion and the Endoplasma motor, with poor results I E-mail Greg Covey and found out he had mistakingly specicified 10 T it should have been 12T. Much better results about 35 Amps draw as opposed to 18 to 19 amps. I just got a digital camera so I will send some pictures.

Skyvolt12

hoppy
12-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Waiting for the pictures Skyvolt :)
We'll see if I get my instructors permit. LOL

skyvolt12
12-29-2005, 03:28 AM
Hi Hoppy'
AS SOON AS MASTER THIS NEW CAMERA I'LL BE SENDING PICTURES, GOING TO TRY TOMARROW WITH SOME BARE BONE'S ONES.
SKYVOLT12

skyvolt12
12-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi Hoppy!
Here is the Taube 40 minus the covering.

hoppy
12-31-2005, 10:35 PM
OK, you're on a roll.:)
Are you using http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe ?

That is the handiest program for resizing pictures. No guess work needed to get the correct size.

mmmdowning
12-31-2005, 10:42 PM
Looks really nice. Good job. Love the oldies.

skyvolt12
01-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi Hoppy
To be honest I am not sure how the second picture got posted, dumb luck I guess. I downloaded the pixresizer program this morning, and inserted the #2 picture in the program, how do I get in the Managed Attachments after I resized it. Keep it simple as you can please.

hoppy
01-01-2006, 05:20 PM
1- Create a folder in your C drive called 'WebPictures' (Optional)
2- Put all the pictures you want to put on the web in that folder.
3. Find the picture you want to upload in that folder and right mouse click on it and then left click on Resize Pictures.
4. Choose medium size and click OK.
5. Resized picture will be in same directory folder.

You can use the Advanced and select Resize the original pictures (Don't make copies) if you want to minimize space used.

If you want to resize a bunch at one time, just highlight the first one and than holding down the Ctr key, highlight any others you want to change. Now left click the mouse and resize all of them at once.

Questions?

skyvolt12
01-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Testing

skyvolt12
01-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Matt,
Could use some advice on a motor for the Taube 40, you had suggested an AXI 2820/10 as a sub. for the Endoplasma version. I was doing some surfing in the Atlanta hobby Website, and found something interesting. They advertising a motor from Extreme Flight Torque 2814-605 at 550 watts and 40 amp controller. There motor comes complete with prop adaptor and mounting flange. the differance in price is about 40 to 50 dollors. I would appreciate an opinion. Thanks :)

skyvolt12
02-04-2006, 04:18 AM
Hi Matt
I guess you were to busy to ans. my question:)
skyvolt

skyvolt12
02-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi Guys
Still pluging along trying to finnish covering this guy. In between the wife and I are getting ready to go on a cruise to the Panama cannel
skyvolt

rcers
02-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi Matt,
Could use some advice on a motor for the Taube 40, you had suggested an AXI 2820/10 as a sub. for the Endoplasma version. I was doing some surfing in the Atlanta hobby Website, and found something interesting. They advertising a motor from Extreme Flight Torque 2814-605 at 550 watts and 40 amp controller. There motor comes complete with prop adaptor and mounting flange. the differance in price is about 40 to 50 dollors. I would appreciate an opinion. Thanks :)
I'm not Matt - but I can give you my 2c!

There are so many good 3s 250-450w power systems now.....I have used the MP Jet 2810-13 motors with great success, and they are much less than the AXI's. The 2820-7 might be a good fit for this plane too.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-mpjet.htm#AC

Also, new to the scene but promising are the TowerPro 2915-5 motors, guys are using them on .40 size ships with good results! They also sell a smaller 2908-10 motor that should work well here too. Best of all they are only about $50!

http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Categories?category=Motor%3ATowerPro

Many other chocies include the Torque and Hyperion motors too. All have great offereings for under $100. Amazing the choices we have.

What is the AUW going to be? I suspect 250-300w might be more than adequate for this bird...

Enjoy the cruise - have always wanted to do the canal! Kids heading to college next year so we may not get many cuises over the next few years.......:(

Mike

vax6335
02-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Nice Plane! I've always liked the Taube, and wanted to do this kit, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to get into 40 sized electrics. All my electric planes are small, the 40 sized ones require lots more money.

Jim Drissell
02-28-2006, 08:25 PM
I've been watching this thread since I'm building the Taube for electric too!

What gear ratio do you have with the Endo? Did you add down or right thrust?

Jim

skyvolt12
03-01-2006, 02:52 AM
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the input, that sure seems like a lot of good suggestions I am going to look into as soon as I get back. As far as the AUW goes it looks like it going to be around 5# plus. I have to weigh the covered wing to be sure.
Skyvolt

rcers
03-01-2006, 02:15 PM
As far as the AUW goes it looks like it going to be around 5# plus

That will take some power then 400+ watts for this ship....

Mike

skyvolt12
03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Jim
I got all my infomation form Greg Covey's web site. (www.gregcovey.com/rc.htm (http://www.gregcovey.com/rc.htm)). The plane is from a Balsa USA kit . I believe I moved the firewall forward 3/4 to 1 inch forward and kept everything else the same. In Gregs site click on "Historic Aviation" thats where you will find the info. If you have a source for Endo. motors please let me know they don't make them any more Skyvolt

Franny
03-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Schweet you guys! I just ordered one! Should go well with my DR.1... I'll be watching to see what everybody comes up with. Now I'll have to find some neat paint schemes. Any ideas on whet to do for the wheels? I bet those vintage spoked wheels would go great! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Thanks,

Franny

Dereck
03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi Skyvolt
Hope you're going to get this Taube sorted for the CASA Spring Sizzle on Memorial Weekend, at the Rockville site.

http://home.comcast.net/~mkroese3/

Has the details. If you know all about it, my apologies - these funny screen names mean never knowing if you're trying to impress one of your clubmates :)

Should be a great flier - though you might need some more power to do 3D:cool: ! I've seen a geared Mag Mayhem haul a Kadet LT25 around pretty good on 10 cells, so you should be okay for this cruising-around sort of model.

Franny - colour schemes from this era usually came in overall light cream, 'cos that's what colour the dope left the fabric! Cream Litespan would be great, though it's a bit light for a model this size. Monokote etc is heavy plus a lot shinier than the 'real thing'

Good luck with them, great models for loafing around on nice days

Regards

Dereck

Jim Drissell
03-02-2006, 04:43 AM
Endos are still available, I just ordered two of them. I'll look up a couple of store names.

Top Flight makes spoked wire wheels, 4" dia., available at tower hobbies for about $30.

Jim

skyvolt12
03-02-2006, 05:33 AM
Hi Jim
The ratio is 3.8 / 1 using a 12t pinion. The only problem that I see is excessive arcing, I have to look into that. If you would give me the names of the source for the motors, I would apprieate it.
Kenny

skyvolt12
03-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Hi Dereck
Is that site near the "Swooze Goose hobby shop" by any chance? I have a question for you in regards to the Mag Mayhem motor. I noticed a lot of arcing which destroyed the motor, which I also Had in a LT-25. Now I notice the same problem with the Endo motor using 10 cells and an 11-7 master airscrew electric prop, pulling about 29 to 30 amps. Did you have this prob. with the Mayhem motor? Do you recall what current you drew and the prop you used?
This is why I have started to ask about other motors. Looking for an answer if you got one. thanks Kenny

Dereck
03-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Dereck
Is that site near the "Swooze Goose hobby shop" by any chance? I have a question for you in regards to the Mag Mayhem motor. I noticed a lot of arcing which destroyed the motor, which I also Had in a LT-25. Now I notice the same problem with the Endo motor using 10 cells and an 11-7 master airscrew electric prop, pulling about 29 to 30 amps. Did you have this prob. with the Mayhem motor? Do you recall what current you drew and the prop you used?
This is why I have started to ask about other motors. Looking for an answer if you got one. thanks Kenny

I think you mean "Suzie Goose Hobbies" - the answer's yes, though Roy Smith has retired and closed Suzie Goose. Roy should be a local hero - after the DCRC lot got booted off Gude Drive (or, as it's known in irreverant circles "Mt Trashmore, MD" thanks to a former purpose - a title that drives aged CASA snoarer pilots to cough and splutter ;) ) Roy was heavily instrumental in eventually recovering the site for electrics and gliders.

If anyone fancies the idea of a little light sports flying on Memorial Weekend, the street address of the front gate is 600 Gude Drive East, Rockville, MD 20850 for Mapquest, etc use.

Mag Mayhems - daft-ish question - but are you using the Mag Mayhem reverse? They came in normal and reverse timings, to suit the two motor RC monster truck they were 'designed' for. If you run the regular motor in a normal spur/pinion gearbox, the motor will effectively have to be running 'backwards' and generating the sparks you describe, allied to a short life.

The LT25 I flew wasn't mine, but the Golden Rule with Mag Mayhems was not to exceed 25A flat out. Anything more and their somewhat tiny brushes would burn out. THough nominally a seven cell motor - that RC car thing again - they were perfectly happy on 10 round jugs, which I think would mean 3S in "firestarters" would suffice too. The 'Endo' could take a lot more amps - Gary Wright used to run them in the prototype E3Ds at up to 40A, but he got real good at changing brushes, and the commutators weren't long for this world either.

Compare that to the much flown 12 year old Astro 035G I intend to put in one side of a big twin, with a near-new one on the other side, and the rash of cheap Chinese rip-off BL and it's no wonder that the "cheap" brushed motor is experiencing something of a downturn. Even the Astro cobalt series isn't that good a buy now against some BLs - even halfway decent ones.

I still have a pair of un-run normal rotation MMs on a lovely British made gearbox, gears two motors onto a single shaft with the gearing at the back end. Would swing something like a 14 or 16 x 8 off a pair of 8 or 9 cell packs running through the motors in series - cheap power for a 72 - 80" Cub. I could be induced to part with the lot for a reasonable sum...

Regards

Dereck

skyvolt12
03-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi Dereck
I had posted a reply, however it seems to have disappeared. I was wondering if you remember if the Mayhem motor was throwing a lot of sparks. the reason I ask is two fold. I had also converted the LT25 to electric using the Mayhem motor at 3:1 and 10 cells drawing over 25 amps with an 11/7 prop. now checking the Endo. motor at 3.85to 1 with 10 cells swinging a 11/7 prop drawing about 29 to 30 amps, I also have a lot of arcing going on. This is one reason I have been looking elswhere, possibly an out runner.
The other question I have is is your field over by "The Swooze Goose" hobby shop.
Skyvolt

Jim Drissell
03-02-2006, 07:40 PM
I believe Kyosho still makes the Endo and the Magnetic Mayhem, and that any hobby shop can order them.

I got mine by calling Greenfield Hobby @ 414-281-1800. www.allspeedhobbies.com (http://www.allspeedhobbies.com) also carries them.

Jim

skyvolt12
03-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi Jim
Thanks for the headsup. Kenny:)

skyvolt12
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Hi Dereck

Is your field located by the Swooze Goose hobby shop?

My posts seem to be disappearing lets see if this one stays:mad:

Kenny Skyvolt12

Dereck
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Dereck
I had posted a reply, however it seems to have disappeared. I was wondering if you remember if the Mayhem motor was throwing a lot of sparks. the reason I ask is two fold. I had also converted the LT25 to electric using the Mayhem motor at 3:1 and 10 cells drawing over 25 amps with an 11/7 prop. now checking the Endo. motor at 3.85to 1 with 10 cells swinging a 11/7 prop drawing about 29 to 30 amps, I also have a lot of arcing going on. This is one reason I have been looking elswhere, possibly an out runner.
The other question I have is is your field over by "The Swooze Goose" hobby shop.
Skyvolt

You and me also! Mine went down the hole someplace too.

MM - they came in two models, normal and reverse timed. If you run a 'normal' in a spur/pinion gearbox, the motor has to run its 'backwards' to turn the prop the right way. This will eat brushes, produce that sparking and clap out the commutator as well - so for normal gearboxes, you need the reverse rotation model of the MM.

Arcing at higher amps are inevitable. 25A is the max for the MM, and that's for bursts, not continuous running. THe Endo is better - Gary Wright developed the E3D around that motor, running at 40A with slightly altered timing, but I believe he was still fitting new brushes at around 40 flights.

http://home.comcast.net/~mkroese3/ is the Spring Sizzle homesite. Yes, it is the site near Suzie Goose Hobbies, though Roy retired and closed the retail shop last year. If anyone wants to do a Mapquest or similar, the street address of the Gude site is 600 East Gude Drive, Rockville, MD 20850.

Big Plug - not only is this a great meet, lots of funflying with whatever you bring and a high quality raffle prize list, it's also within minutes' driving of shops, a movie theatre and even a Metro train station pointed at downtown DC - bring the family, send them off to do family stuff. Uou get to fly in peace and beauty while the kids watch a movie and the wife maxes out the credit cards ;)

A rare big plus is that the International Model Press shows up at least on the Saturday, so you'll have a chance at your 15 mins of fame if you bring something unique!

Regards

Dereck

Dereck
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
And my previous reply just magically appeared!!!!

D

skyvolt12
03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Dereck"again"

Mine has appeared also. I am still getting use to this Thread thing I didnt realize that there was a pg. 2. Lo and behold guess what I found, my missing threads. Now back to the MM's mine was reversed type. The Endo. was neutral timed. I may try to reverse time the Endo just to see.
The gate you are refering to is right on Guda, not the one down where the store was I am guessing
Kenny:)

Dereck
03-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi Dereck"again"

Mine has appeared also. I am still getting use to this Thread thing I didnt realize that there was a pg. 2. Lo and behold guess what I found, my missing threads. Now back to the MM's mine was reversed type. The Endo. was neutral timed. I may try to reverse time the Endo just to see.
The gate you are refering to is right on Guda, not the one down where the store was I am guessing
Kenny:)

The store was reached by a sliproad off Gune into a stripmall/stripbusiness centre or whatever it's called. The field entrance is a few yards further down Gude Dr itself on the same side - right, if heading towards Rockville/Rockville Pike. You leave Gude, through a wide road gate into an area with a homeless mens' shelter on the left and a small power generating station - burns methane gas off the capped landfill that the site sits atop. Follow the road around, through another gate that the host club has keys to - it's obviously going to unlocked on Sizzle weekend - and up the dirt road to the top. The shelters at the top are easy to spot - they date from when this was a county park backed with funds enough for brick-built shelters, running water and mains electric!

Brushed motors are on the way out the moment you fire them up the first time!

D

skyvolt12
03-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi dereck,
Will do my best to be there. I assume the club is entirely Glider or electric or a combination of both:)
All the best Kenny:D

Dereck
03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi dereck,
Will do my best to be there. I assume the club is entirely Glider or electric or a combination of both:)
All the best Kenny:D

Hi Kenny
CASA is "Capital Area Soaring Association" AFAIK, it was formed in the mists of history by glider guiders who got fed up with the treatment they were getting from the DCRC. It's been around for ages, not sure how long, and is highly regarded in the soaring world. The Gude site isn't that good for gliders - it's not very long in any direction and somewhat lumpy with very lumpy surrounds, which doesn't do well for their launching systems.

OTOH, it's ideal for electrics - I've flown my 8lb Cub off there with no sweat and regularly fly 5-off lb aerobatics off it - and a snip for parkflier sizes. Over the last few years, it looks like less folk are interested in glider comps - maybe the staggering costs of even a competitive HLG have something to do with it - while more are flying 'sports' electrics.

Great event, lots of sports flying, good raffle, no stopping for pro fliers to amaze you and keep you from flying, but there might be opportunity for you to buy stuff from vendors.

Hope to see you, and a bunch of others, up there

Dereck

skyvolt12
03-29-2006, 11:34 PM
All I did was go on a Cruise and I have to re-register, is there a time limit on posting that I was not aware of?
Kenny

Ron
03-30-2006, 03:17 AM
Kyosho Atomic force is also a very good motor...Just turn the end bell 180 degrees to reverse it. I have been running mine on a 7 to 1 reduction and ten round cells in my 80" Eindekker for a few seasons now with a 17 X 10 APC electric prop. I get about 2 seasons on a com turn. change brushes every fall. it's not quite as " hot " as the Endoplasma, but works really well as long as you don't exceed 35 amps. flights on the E111 are in the order of 10 to 12 min. of WW1 type flying.

skyvolt12
03-30-2006, 04:05 AM
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the info on the Atomic Force motor I will look in to it.
I have a question for you, when you run the motor at 35 amps or even less do you get excessive arcing? That is something I get with the Endo and the magnetic Mayhem motors. Thanks in advance :)
Kenny

Ron
03-30-2006, 03:27 PM
If it arcs excessively, something is wrong....either the timing is incorrect, or the brushes are not seated properly, or the comm is dirty or damaged.
Best thing to do is to find an avid car racer who uses brushed motors in his cars....he'll show you how to get the motor working right :-)
Somewhere I have a set of sorta instructions on timing and setup for brushed motors, i'll try to find it this evening.

skyvolt12
03-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi Ron,
I have been unable to locate the Atomic Force motor, tried Tower no luck. If you have a location would appriciate a headsup.
Kenny

Ron
03-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Kenny....I have always gotten the atomic force at the local hobby shop.
it like most of these is just a car motor that's designed for 6 cells in a buggy, but they work well on 7 to 10 cells if you use a reduction.
This is a Kyosho motor....I guess with all the brushless motors being so popular, us fellows who still use brushed ones just need to be a little more resourceful. If you do have a HS close, go in and look at the brushed car motors. Just get one that's about a 16 turn or 17 turn and it should work fine in any brand. Endoplasma is 16 turn....Atomic force is 17 turn.
more turns equals less rpm per volt,....13 turn triple wind is a fire breathing monster, and if it has the big brushes will work up to 45 amps fairly well. I generally try to get them all running at 27 to 28 amps max.
E111 with the AF motor is 35 amps static.
The calc programs say it will be considerably more, but I've found that they are not really accurate overall ( just my experience) and a WW1 model flies just fine on 40 to 45 watts to the pound as long as the wing loading is reasonably low, and the model can do all the stuff the full sized one could do. one of my larger models has a maximum prop RPM of 2450, and it flies really well and with lots of authority. It will do things that the original full sized plane would never be able to do.

skyvolt12
03-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi Ron,
It certainlly a small world, I just returned from a cruise to the Panama Canal where I met couples from Monteral, Toronto and Onterio, pardon the spelling, and now you from BC. I will go to the HS tomarrow and see what I can find. I have about 3 shops near me within 20 miles. Thanks again!
Kenny

Ron
03-30-2006, 09:07 PM
good luck with it! If my limited knowlege can help you in your venture I will be more than happy to pass some of it along......The first model or two are a bit of a problem to figure out, as some of the " gurus " seem to want to convince you that you need 90 to 100 watts to the pound or the model won't fly....which is of course rubbish...after a few models you'll get kind of a feel for it, and you will be away to the races.......at one time one of the more popular prediction programs that I ran the specs for my models through said that not one of them would fly...I just didn't tell the models that, and they work quite well. The trick seems to be that you have to be honest about what you need, design each power system to do it's specific job, and you will be fine. scale models should fly in a scale like manner, aerobatic models need lotsa thrust, not necessarily lots of speed...pylon racer types need speed and not necessarily thrust. It's only when you try to do it all with one model that it's difficult. One other thing to always remember. Models respond better to weight reduction than they do to more power..so the three cardinal rules of electric flight are as follows in order of importance
1.....BUILT IT LIGHT
2.....TAKE OUT AS MUCH WEIGHT AS YOU CAN FROM THE MODEL
3.....DON"T BUILD IT HEAVY.
I have had this " rule book " posted above the building bench for the last dozen years or so, and it has always worked well. whenever I want to build...power or modify a model I refer to it.

skyvolt12
03-31-2006, 04:24 AM
Hi Ron
You sure sound like my kind of guy. Ill be talking to you. Good nite
Kenny

skyvolt12
04-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Hi Guys, Been away on a Cruise to the Panama Cannel. I have the "Taube" covering about done. I have been having a Round cell prob. Brand new Pack one cell went south, would not hold a charge. Guess what I bought them from Cheap Batts. and they no longer carry them ( 3300 Nimh), Now I have a 9 cell pack, Whoa is me!!!!!!!!!

skyvolt12
06-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I know that I havent kept up with this project. The covering is giving me a Fit to say the least, the wing is the prob. Up to this point I have only covered rectangular shape's.Every thing else is complete. Back to the grindstone. Kenny

skyvolt12
07-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Have to order more covering, I'm afraid I messed up the first roll. It's the crazy shape that has got to me. So back to the grindstone when the covering comes.