PDA

View Full Version : Tactless Vet!!!!!

Twizter68
11-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Here's the chain of events:

Sunday- Wife takes dog to vet to find out what's wrong with her.
Dog is left at vet overnight for IV and antibiotics to treat suspected liver infection.

Monday AM- Wife gets call, dog is in coma and bleeding from GI tract, vet says nothing they can do but put her down. Wife agrees, spenda rest of the day, and the next depressed and crying.

Tuesday PM- GET BILL FROM VET IN MAIL FOR $522!!!!!

Obviously they do not understand the word "Tact".:mad:

firemanbill
11-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Youch!:eek: and dang... :( Sorry to hear that bud.

aircruiser
11-09-2006, 03:36 AM
That makes two of us for loses Twizter. My dog for nine years and was like a brother passed.

It's sad. It hurts.

But for snowflake, he went his own way without having to be put down. It's hard to decide to put a dog down, I'm glad snowflake chose his own time.

admin
11-09-2006, 03:48 AM
Ugghhh...very sorry to hear of your loss. So tough to lose a pet. Yeah your vet should have had a bit more tact there.

Before you take any vet's word for anything that is "dire" try to find a university vet hospital or somewhere else to take for 2nd opinion. You will never know if it would have helped here of course but I know scattered stories where certain vets have put dogs on their death bed only to see them recover miraculously and inexplicably.

I just took one of my dogs to the emergency vet the other night. Hard belly and distended, very uncomfortable. Vet took 2 x-rays and thought she was backed up so to speak and gave her something to relieve herself. $326 later and she was ok for the night then symptoms recurred in the morning. We took her to our vet first thing in the AM who thought maybe she actually hurt her back and was having spasm's. By that night she was fine. No idea what it really was.

Did they get bloodwork from your dog? Do you know if any values were off? Liver infection and GI bleeding seems odd combination of acute symptoms.

If you do decide to get another dog someday do check out the rescue's. They have so many really great dogs that need a good home.

Crash Test Dummy
11-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Twizter 68,

Sorry to hear about your pup. My dog is quite old and I'm dreading the day that I have to report the same. I'll say a little prayer for you and your pup.

CTD