PDA

View Full Version : Wing Strut failed again this time bad results

mpotter187
11-10-2006, 05:19 PM
It was a perfect morning today for flying almost no wind and a nice 50 degrees outside. So I decided to take my GWS beaver out before work for a couple of flights. First pack went great, I flew around for 10 minutes with no issues, even did a loop or two and practiced a few touch and goes. Second pack was going good ultill had the plane up about 75-100 feet up and didn't notice that one of the wing struts had failed. I was going to bring it down so I could load up and go to work and was making a hard turn. Halfway through the turn I saw one side of the wing fold itself over. Before I could react the plane instantly went into a dive straight into the ground. The damage wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The wing has a bad crease and a tear in it, and will need to be replaced. The fuselauge has a couple of cracks in the nose area, and where the wing sits is pretty damaged but repairable. The landing gear also need to be remounted. Guess I will be the electronics over to my new Slow Stick sooner then I thought.

I will post pics later today

firemanbill
11-10-2006, 07:34 PM
That is quite common on the Beaver potter... I've had it happen to me twice. You really need to glue the struts into the mounts or pin them somehow. I shoved pins through mint to hold them and it worked pretty well. That wing is very weak without the struts.

Don't feel too bad though... it happens and the beaver is very tough and reslilent. order you a new wing set through your LHS. I think they are about 7 bucks. At least they were the last time I ordered one.:o

Just so you won't feel too bad I busted up the Mustang pretty good today too... I'll post on it when I get over being mad at myself...:( It was completely my fault