PDA

View Full Version : EMI P-38 Lightning

easytiger
11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Got mine together, along with their brushless power system, yesterday. Too windy to test today, but should get it airborne tomorrow.

This thing is a GEM. Maybe the best foamie yet?

Solid Hit
11-10-2006, 08:41 PM
I would love to see some video on that plane. I've been reading a lot about it. What power system did you go with?

tommytorino
11-10-2006, 09:58 PM
ET

I got one a week ago but have not had any time to mess with it. Seems like a nice model, but it has the same seam mould marks you find on "brand X" models.

Can I ask what power system you used? I have a pair of Axi 2212's that might find a home on this one.

I must admit though, considering how easy it appears to assemble it might have been smarter to use the brushless motors they offered.

Good Luck with yours.

Tommy D

easytiger
11-10-2006, 11:03 PM
I got their motor system, which seems just great. PLENTY of power, and low amp draw, I am using a tp 1320 3s. Light. The ESCs are terriffic, they sing a Bach fugue through the motors themselves, and they are very light, and are reputedly UNDERrated, good for 15a continuous.
I would save myself some headache if I were you and get the stock brushless power system....

Also...I see no reason why it would not fly pretty well on the stock BRUSHED motors.

They have some video on their website.

I did not see any obnoxious seam marks on mine.

It took maybe six hours to put together.

tommytorino
11-11-2006, 01:44 AM
ET, just how low of an amp draw is it?

The only person whom flew his with the stock brushed system <that has reported in at least> is already going brushless. Also he has split a boom on landing

Not only does mine have a seam on it one of my ailerons nearly came off when I tugged on it. I have air pockets that formed inside the wing around the hinges. Just one more thing for you to look out for.

Are you also flying the props they supply? I'm interested as I think they have a "8" pitch. Are there props floppy <like a FSK/?GWS> or more still like an aeronaut/APC?

Good Luck on the 1st flight

Tommy D

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/7/0/9/1/7/a1055101-7-11.08.2006%20001.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/7/0/9/1/7/a1055101-7-11.08.2006%20001.jpg

easytiger
11-11-2006, 02:01 AM
I think it will fly fine with the brushed motors. Of course, BETTER with brushless!
Cracked boom, well, probably a hard landing. It's a foamie, it's not indestructable.
My ailerons are perfect, the whole thing was made perfectly, except maybe the paint was a little thin in places on the plastic parts. No biggie.
Why don't you just ask them to replace the damaged stuff? The retailer is reallly nice, they want to please.
The props are pretty floppy, I think belly landing would be no sweat , just cut the props as the very last second.
I really would like a second one of these as a dedicated bellywhopper...

easytiger
11-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Flew it twice today, in a howling wind. It's wonderful. Incredible performance. Unlimited vertical! Great roll rate. Great loops.
Fried one 1320 TP 3s, though, using too much full throttle for too long. Really needs a bigger pack.
But...the plane flies very, very, very well.

Solid Hit
11-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Easytiger, did you stay brushed?

easytiger
11-12-2006, 01:55 PM
No, I used their recommended brushless system.

tommytorino
11-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Why don't you just ask them to replace the damaged stuff? The retailer is reallly nice, they want to please.

Basically I was told with there quality control that there was no way my model could have a loose aileron. :confused: Funny but there are all of 4 people who have purchased these kits and reported on them and 2 of them have loose ailerons. Nuff said.

Nice to hear the maiden worked well. Yes it was a bit breezy at the field out on the end of Long Island as well!

Tommy D

wernerhs
10-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Are you guys adding rudder control or using just aileron?

PerlAddict
10-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Holy thread rez, Batman! :D Welcome to WattFlyer, Werner! :)

Most folks were flying this plane with just aileron control back in the day. While the EMI kit is still available from some overseas vendors, I think it's been replaced by the Phase3 P-38 kit (http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/107316.asp) with the majority of US vendors. It's the same plane/mold as the EMI, except that it comes with the power system already and has a different paint scheme. HobbyPeople also offers a "rudder upgrade kit (http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/109423.asp)", which is essentially just an extra pushrod and control horn. There is already a spot cut out in the plane's opposite boom for a rudder servo, so it's not too big of a deal to add the rudder in.

I know quite a few guys who built these used their radios to program in throttle differential with a mix between the rudder and throttle channel. Makes ground steering a simple task. I haven't maidened mine yet, though it's been sitting on the bench finished for the better part of a year, sadly. I lost one of the spinners a long time ago and I'm too lazy/cheap to get another one. Pathetic, isn't it? lol.

Hope to see more of you around here!

- Dave

teljaaj
10-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I purchased a P-38 Lightning model secundhand it has never been build befor. But came without the build instructions. Can anyone please forward me a copy of the instructions. The model that I purchaced is a VQ-p0038W.