PDA

View Full Version : 1st post about 1st purchase

Argyll
09-17-2005, 01:38 AM
Hi

I bought a Futaba 4ch radio which came with a receiver and 3 micro servos (3108's). Looking at the instructions for the Slow Stick, it looks like the servos won't attach - that GWS servos are necessary to fit the plastic clips.

Is that a rule of thumb, that you need to stick with servos from the plane mfr? What about ESC's?

Right now I know I'll need an ESC and a batt. charger, but I was hoping I didn't need to get much else.

Rugar
09-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Those servos will work just fine. You might have to make a new hole in the plastic pieces that they mount to, but its no big deal. Im assuming you are using the stock brushed motor (either a 300 or 400 depending what came with your kit), any ESC that is for a brushed motor will work as long as it is good for at least the highest amount of amp draw that you will be pulling. A GWS ESC will probably be the cheapest. A GWS ICS 300 will be all that you need, or you could get a GWS ICS 400 which would be good for more amps and you wouldnt be pushing the amp limit as hard.

Gerald

Hi

I bought a Futaba 4ch radio which came with a receiver and 3 micro servos (3108's). Looking at the instructions for the Slow Stick, it looks like the servos won't attach - that GWS servos are necessary to fit the plastic clips.

Is that a rule of thumb, that you need to stick with servos from the plane mfr? What about ESC's?

Right now I know I'll need an ESC and a batt. charger, but I was hoping I didn't need to get much else.

AEAJR
09-17-2005, 09:09 AM
You can use any brand servos, but sometimes the plane mfg will have used specific servos in the design. If you use that brand and model, then thing fit nicely. If you use something else you may need to make some mods, but plane will fly as long a the servos are strong enough and of appropriate weight.

Steve
09-17-2005, 07:29 PM
The servos will work fine with your setup. You'll just have to change the opening in the servo trays to fit whatever servos that came with your TX.

You can do anything with some hot glue, a dremel and some light plywood!

AEAJR
10-07-2005, 02:34 AM
Hi

Did you get your slow stick flying?

Rugar
10-07-2005, 04:11 AM
His profile shows he has not been back on since the day he started this thread.

Argyll
10-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Thanks for following up, Ed.

No, I haven't flown it yet. Work reared it's ugly head so I haven't had time to do any construction :(

flyranger
10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
I have the same radio and servos on my slow stick. They work great!!

Argyll
10-07-2005, 10:39 PM
great, I may come to you for help if I get stuck

Argyll
10-09-2005, 09:43 PM
I notice that the instructions show only one "horn" on the servo. Should I cut off three, since the S3108's is shaped like a cross?

AEAJR
10-09-2005, 09:58 PM
If they don't interfer with anything you can leave them on, but I normally cut them off.

Don Sims
10-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Lke Ed I cut off all the extra horns. Less chance of them catching on something by accident.

flyranger
10-10-2005, 02:30 AM
My new slow stick with the aileron wing!! This shows the servos.

Argyll
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the photos. What do you call those little doohickeys that hold the rods to the servo horns? Where do you get them?

Rugar
10-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the photos. What do you call those little doohickeys that hold the rods to the servo horns? Where do you get them?

Those are called "Easy Connectors" and are made by "Dubro". You want the micro ones and you can get them at most hobby shops.