PDA

View Full Version : Busted up the Mustang today

firemanbill
11-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Well first off let me say what a great day we had. Perfect weather and great flights, well right up to the Mustangs 4th flight anyway...:(

I had it up 3 times already and all was going well. I normayy fly a 2s lipo in it and with the motor gearbox combo it wroks great. It won't go vertical for long, but then again a real Mustang wouldn't either.

Anyway I got these new small 3s lipos which work really well so I thought I'd give it a shot int the Stang. Wow! did t ever have power! Too much power. I was having a blast with it and had just about decided it was too much for it so I was bringing it in and on an absolutely calm wind it was gliding in and all of a sudden this big gust of wind comes out of nowhere and blows me almost ove about 10 feet of the ground. I put the power to it to climb out of it and go around but i forgot about having the 3s in it. Well it promptly rolls over and plows into the ground nose first at full throttle:eek:

After I fix it I will go back to the 2s...:o

EpoweredRc
11-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Ouch, sorry to see that firemanBill , Hopefully you will be able to fix her back up w/o to much trouble.

CGFlyer
11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Sorry to see that.

Atleast glad its foam and not balsa, you would be building from scratch.

Is it worse then the few breaks your pics show? damage any rods or elecs?

firemanbill
11-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks Guys...

No it isn't much worse than what you see. The control horn on the aileron servo snapped so I don't know if the servo is hurt or not. Will have to test it out real good to make sure. Other than the foam breaks and the busted prop that's about it.

She'll fly again soon enough!:D

Grasshopper
11-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Too bad Bill. I always hate to see a plane get cracked up. Knowing you, it will be back in the air soon though. I just finished rebuilding my Spitfire today after dumb thumbing it right into the ground two weeks ago. Now if the winds would die down to something less than 30 mph!

firemanbill
11-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks Tom, Yeah I have the epoxy setting up on the fuse now.:D

Hopefully your wind will die down soon. It was beautiful here today but the wind is supposed to pick up tomorrow...:( I hope not.

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 03:40 AM
Good as new! well except for the prop... That will go on and she'll fly tomorrow!:D

Grasshopper
11-12-2006, 03:42 AM
Cool! I told you it wouldn't be long!

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 03:44 AM
It was breaking my heart seeing it sitting on the bench all busted up Tom.

It cried out to me all night long.... fix meeee.... fiiiixxxx mmmeeeeee!:eek:

I just had to!:D

Grasshopper
11-12-2006, 03:50 AM
I know what you mean. I re-maidened my Spit this afternoon. It was dead calm and about 55 degrees. I was sure nice to have it in the air again. I flew it off grass for the first time today and it did really well. I spent most of the time just taking off and landing. It has to come in pretty hot and before, I always wanted to kill it, let it float in and flare it out. Landings were never really pretty.

Today, I let it sink down slowly with a fair amount of power on it till it touched down. It looked so cool. Mains touched down and rolled out a ways till the tail dropped just like the real ones did in WWII.

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 03:57 AM
glad to hear it Tom. Isn't it a great feeling to overcome a challenge like that. It's like you've taken the next step.

I was like that with the Funtana. I kept trying to bring it down like the slow stick or the beaver. Once I figured out how to fly it and actually bring it down with some power on it landed and looked so cool doing it. It was like the sun breaking through a cloud and lighting up the whole field!