PDA

View Full Version : Working on the Bug

firemanbill
11-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Well I got to fly Yesterday and for a little while this morning before my oldest boy woke up... I promised him we'd get started on his bug today so I though I'd do sort of a build thread... lol.

Believe it or not we got a lot done today.:rolleyes: This particular bug I have owned for 15 years now and it has 459,000 or so miles on it. It has been stroed int he backyard for a few years now while we have been scrounging the parts we need. Thanks to the internet and a a good frien here on WF We now have enough to get the ball rolling.

Two of the brake had locked up so we spent a while just getting it to the fron to the garage!:eek: Once we got it up we got the old firewall cut out and the new one fitted. We also got the top sanded and primed.

It doesn't look like much now but it is going to be beautiful!

Can you pick out the new sheet metal?:D

gsk11740
11-12-2006, 02:20 AM
I was about to ask how the floor pan was but after taking a good close look at the pics, I see it doesn't have any. Never mind! :D

Yeah Bill, I think a "build thread" would be good. I'm always interested in watching someone else's project progress. Mine always seem to just sit and rot. :rolleyes: Hope you and your son have a lot of fun fixing it up!

I have this to keep my VW Bus company in the garage:
http://mysite.verizon.net/gary.hallman/benz/index.htm
I need to take some pics of my Bus and post it on my site too.

Kosh
11-12-2006, 02:25 AM
So what size prop does it take? 48x16?:D

Keep the pics coming, All build threads are cool even if it just taxis. :)

Grasshopper
11-12-2006, 02:26 AM
Wow! You are one abitious dude! Reading your Bug stories almost make me want another one. Just what I need is another project. I forgot to post pictures of my 65 Mustang convertible since I've had a chance to clean it up. I think I'll go do that now.

Keep us posted with your progress. I love to see restorations like that. Maybe you should get the wife to put it on "Overhaulin" I'm sure Chip Foose can get it finished in a week or so.

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 02:59 AM
Thanks guys!:D

What malkes this project even better is that it is for my oldest boy. I have not been able to get him in the flying scene like my youngest so this is "our" thing. He is really excited about it and he worked his but off today working on it.

The floor pans are on the way gsk. We are going to take the body off the pan next weekend and go have it bead blasted, painted and undercoated while we get the body worked on in the garage. Nice Merc by the way... what year is it?

Not sure what size prop to put on it Kosh but it is "Aircooled"!:D

And Tom my dream would be to have Foose do one of my bugs! What a ride that would be! wow...

vax6335
11-12-2006, 03:48 AM
Don't forget to top off the coolant ;)

Picture I took of my hood out in the garage with just a single light bulb. I was just messing around but it turned out pretty neat actually.

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 03:48 AM

:D :D :D Roger that!

gsk11740
11-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Nice Merc by the way... what year is it?

'79 300SD. Yep, it's a diesel. That's what makes it interesting. It's the "big" 450SE (W116) body but with the 5cyl Turbo Diesel in it. The weird part is where I found it. It was in the back of a small local auto junkyard, buried under vines and stuff for about 12 years. The owner didn't know what to do with it but wouldn't part it out either. I got the whole car for $300, took it home, put a battery in it, flushed out the fuel system and added some fresh diesel, primed it and after cranking it for a while, it fired right up. I slapped an antique tag from my Bus on the back and drove it back to the junkyard to show the guy (he was only 1 mile away). It sounded awful, but it ran. Turned out all that was wrong with it was the flexplate on the torque converter was cracked, making a hell of a racket. The previous owner thought the motor was blown and junked it. A new flexplate cost me $38 and a weekends worth of work. Now it runs and sounds great. The one really bad thing though is from sitting under the trees and vines for 12 years. It's badly rusted. This one is going to take a lot of work to fix but I have lots of time...

gsk11740
11-12-2006, 01:36 PM

:D :D :D Roger that!

Hey Bill, ya ever play the "find the engine" game with anyone? I did that with one of the local teenagers in my neighborhood who was trying to act like he knew everything about cars. It was hilarious to watch him looking under the front of my Bus! :D

Don Sims
11-12-2006, 02:16 PM
LOL on the find the engine game!

Bill, how much CA did you buy to put that beetle critter back together?

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 03:44 PM
I should buy stock I think!:eek:

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 07:49 PM
That is awesome!

You should make a Herby clone! :D

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Thanks AC but Herbie??? Phhhhtttt!:p

It is going to be two tone pearl metallic blue and summit racing white with polished aluminum 8 spoke Empi wheels. lowered just a touch in the front to give it that raked look. Polished aluminum ruinning boards. Shaved turn signals on the front fender and remounted in the bumper. It'll have velour seats and headliner with late model Golf GTI seats.

It's going to be a real looker... We can already picture it in our minds what it'll look like. It is definately going to be one of a kind!:D

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Sounds like it!

If it were me I would raise it, but on some swampers and drop in a 400 6.6 but that's just me.

:D

vax6335
11-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Bill have you done a front disk conversion to any of your bugs? I'm gonna do one to mine, as well as put an adjustable beam in. I don't want to buy the narrow beam cause I'd have to buy all the narrow steering components as well. I know that the disc conversion increases the front track by a half inch on each side, but is it really that bad?

firemanbill
11-13-2006, 01:18 AM
No it doesn't make a difference at all Vax, Actually I think it makes it handle a bit better. I haven't done one yet but we are going to do it to this one. I have driven one though and I liked it a lot. You get much better braking response and the wider track only helps make the car more stable. It still has clearance on the fenders unless you put relly wide tires under it. I'd staty away from the narrowed stuff as well. It makes the car really twitchy. I have that setup on my 64 and I really do not like it.

AC Industries makes a real nice conversion kit for around 200 bucks. I am fortunate in that we found a Ghia donor for the brake components for this one. It is a direct match. We'll get a couple of new rotors and just swap the rest over.

Now my Ghia has 4 wheel disc brakes, stock in the front and Porsche 911 brakes in the rear, to go along with the 911 tranny!, and it is a dream to drive. Wide wheels, lowered all the way around, heavy duty sway bars and koni shocks. I can stop that baby on half a dime!:eek:

skiman762
11-14-2006, 01:13 AM
But Bill can it do a roll

firemanbill
11-14-2006, 01:47 AM
:eek: Hopefully not!:eek:

Good to hear from you again Bud. Where ya been hiding???