PDA

View Full Version : why put a brushless on a slowstick

nova801428
09-17-2005, 06:07 AM
I know the slowstick is a great plane, and I own two, but what is the point of putting a brushless motor on a slowstick, wouldn't you have to make the wing stronger, I did a loop and my wing broke into two peices.

Tailspin Ken
09-17-2005, 06:27 AM
The SS as a stock plane is not designed for looping or power dives. The wings must be strengthened to loop or fly inverted. This is almost a standard mod for anyone who wants to fly the plane beyond it's designed limits. There are many reasons one might put a brushless on a SS. Efficiency is one reason. The brushless is a more efficient motor as it has no brushes to wear down and deteriorate performance. Combine a brushless motor with a lipoly battery and flight times can be significantly increased. Some like the brushless-lipoly combo for combat. There are probably many more reasons that I cannot think of at the moment. Just stay tuned to the forum and other reasons will surface in the threads.
Ken

soarr
09-17-2005, 08:00 AM
I installed an Axi 2208/34 brushless outrunner on my SS after 2-3 weeks on the original 400 motor primarily to extend flight time. My flight times went from 10 minutes on a 9.6V 800 mAh NiMH to 30 minutes on a 7.4V 1320 mAh LiPo. I didn't switch for speed although it is much faster with my 11.1V LiPo. The longer flight times and higher power do allow me to do aerial photography (where longer flight times are needed and more power is needed to carry the extra weight of a camera).

Steve
09-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Like they said:

More Power=More maneuverability if you "get into trouble". Of course you go in harder too if you screw up:o

Longer Life=With an outrunner, there's no more incessant screwing around with the gear box, replacing shafts...etc.

Longer Flights= With lipo and brushless, you get less weight, more power and much longer flight times.

I reinforced my wing with the stock fiberglass. stretched some packing tape across the bottom. Wrapped all LE's with packing tape. Never lost a wing yet to folding.

timocharis
09-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Huh. I loop my stock wing all the time with no problem. Heck, I fly it inverted and watch it flap! Don't know why folks are having problems with 'em.

Dave

TopFoam
09-18-2005, 12:50 AM
I put a BP-21 on mine, and all I did was put some packing tape on the wing. I wouldn't go back to the stock motor now. I tried to go back for a flight, but it was too slow now.

Twmaster
10-30-2005, 04:18 PM
I just flew my SS with an Esskay 400XT, 9x4.7 APC SF prop and 8 cell 1000mA NiMH. All I can say is WOW!

Mark Wood
10-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Cuz we can? :p

aeropal
10-30-2005, 04:48 PM

qban_flyer
10-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Like they said:

More Power=More maneuverability if you "get into trouble". Of course you go in harder too if you screw up:o

Longer Life=With an outrunner, there's no more incessant screwing around with the gear box, replacing shafts...etc.

Longer Flights= With lipo and brushless, you get less weight, more power and much longer flight times.

I reinforced my wing with the stock fiberglass. stretched some packing tape across the bottom. Wrapped all LE's with packing tape. Never lost a wing yet to folding.

So right on!

My SS is fitted with an outrunner (Esskay 400XT) swinging a 9X3.8SF APC prop powered by 11.V Li-Po pack. This set up allows me to control the plane like never before. It now goes where I command it to instead of just taking it ten seconds to do so. It also climbs at a 45 degree angle at 1/3 throttle.

Using 7.4V Li-Pos swinging an 11X3.8 and it is still a different machine altogether. Climbs with authority and responds instantly. Climb out is at 45 degrees at 2/3 throttle.

Why put a brushless on a lowly Slow Stick? Because it makes an already enjoyable flying machine that much more fun to fly.

qban_flyer
10-30-2005, 07:54 PM
P.S.

With the outrunner, the S/S is also totally silent. All one hears is the faint 'buzz' of the spinning propeller. No more gearbox clatter!

I emphatically recommend this particular 'mod'.

Twmaster
10-31-2005, 02:30 AM
Yup nearly silent. You can hear the ESC over the (very) small amount of prop sound. Flew my BL-SS again today. 6 really good flights including 2 foot take offs from the freshly aerated soccer pitch. I am very happy with the performance. Very round loops from level flight, great wind penetration, amazing landings. Even though I am 5 ounces heavier than Qban_flyer's setup mine flies so much better than with the stock setups. Motor and battery do not even get warm.

qban_flyer
10-31-2005, 02:43 AM
Yup nearly silent. You can hear the ESC over the (very) small amount of prop sound. Flew my BL-SS again today. 6 really good flights including 2 foot take offs from the freshly aerated soccer pitch. I am very happy with the performance. Very round loops from level flight, great wind penetration, amazing landings. Even though I am 5 ounces heavier than Qban_flyer's setup mine flies so much better than with the stock setups. Motor and battery do not even get warm.

So you went to the "World Famous Fulton R/C Aerodrome" in MD today to fly it again, HA?

Those 400XTs are something else. I never knew my SS had so much character and that it could be so snappy a performer. Definitely a keeper!

Say TW, should we contact GWS to suggest they offer the SS with an outrunner for a few bucks more?

flyranger
10-31-2005, 01:10 PM
I went brushless so I could fly in moderate winds!! The brushed 300 motor was sufficient for little or no wind, but I wasn't getting enough "stick time". I mounted a e-flite Park 370 inrunner/e-flite 6:1:1 gearbox and now get takeoffs at half-throttle and enough power to get back from a windy downwind turn. I also modified a slow stick wing to add ailerons for better control. No, it doesn't turn this trainer into a 3-d plane, but turns are much better and gives me some experience with ailerons. I removed all dihedral from the wing and replaced the stock leading and trailing edge fiberglass rods with carbon fiber. I also added a rod at the 30% chord point (maximum pressure point). I can fly in up to 10 mph winds and do multiple loops all day long!!! Pics attached.:)

Ribcracker
11-01-2005, 04:12 AM
How does one go about mounting an outrunner on a slow stick?

qban_flyer
11-01-2005, 06:13 AM
How does one go about mounting an outrunner on a slow stick?

Just follow three simple steps. This motor (ESSKAY 400XT) is sold by Hobby Lobby for $24.90 and the adapter mount is from E-Flite ($4.99). I use a G/P SS-12 Brushless ESC ($34.99).

An inespensive set up that will surely make your Slow Stick ROCK!!!

Twmaster
11-01-2005, 11:58 PM
If you have a spare black GWS speed 400 gearbox mount you can also use that. My SS flies well on a similar setup to qban_flyer's. Same motor, GWS speed 400 plastic (black) gearbox mount, TowerPro el-cheapo Chinese 15A ESC.

The E-flight mount Qban_flyer mentions also works great!

I'll post a photo of my setup later this evening.

Ribcracker
11-02-2005, 04:12 AM
Qban,
My local hobby stores don't have the E-Flite adaptor. I went to the Horizon site and they have it but want $5 shipping for a $5 item. I know that's only $10 but it just kills me. Oh well, for the want of a nail...
Master,
I have the gray GWS boxes (350) but not the 400s. I do, however, have the stick mount adapter from an E-Flite box but I would only be able to use 2 screw holes. I'm not sure if I would trust that.
By the way, I DID buy the 400XT from HL but I don't have anything to put it in. All my planes are stick mount or clamshell. Anymore ideas for mounting before I break down and send $10 to Horizon?
Peace,
Bud

qban_flyer
11-02-2005, 05:29 AM
Qban,
My local hobby stores don't have the E-Flite adaptor. I went to the Horizon site and they have it but want $5 shipping for a $5 item. I know that's only $10 but it just kills me. Oh well, for the want of a nail...
Master,
I have the gray GWS boxes (350) but not the 400s. I do, however, have the stick mount adapter from an E-Flite box but I would only be able to use 2 screw holes. I'm not sure if I would trust that.
By the way, I DID buy the 400XT from HL but I don't have anything to put it in. All my planes are stick mount or clamshell. Anymore ideas for mounting before I break down and send $10 to Horizon?
Peace,
Bud

Two bolts is the way twmaster has attached his 400XT to that gearbox mount.

If your LHS carries E-Flite products, they should be able to order it for you (part # EFLM1905), that's the way I got mine, ordered on Friday, picked it up following Thursday and all I paid was $4.99 plus tax.

Yep! I have so many of those I have no clue as to what to put them on. I could not pass up such a good deal on such a good motor. I even called a friend for mine in Murfreesboro, TN to tell him about these motors.

He marched into Hobby Lobby's headquarters and walked out of there with FOUR!

Twmaster
11-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Two bolts is the way twmaster has attached his 400XT to that gearbox mount.

Yup that's how I did mine. I also made sure to use two washers that extended to the inside rim of the mount for added stability.

First photo shows the mount from the rear. You can plainly see the washers.

Second photo is kinda obvious methinks. ;)

Ribcracker
11-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Aha! You're not using the radial mount that came with the motor but bolting it directly to the box. Clever! I'll try it.
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'm ready to go.
Peace,
Bud

qban_flyer
11-04-2005, 01:43 AM
Aha! You're not using the radial mount that came with the motor but bolting it directly to the box. Clever! I'll try it.
Thanks, guys. Looks like I'm ready to go.
Peace,
Bud

HE, HE, HE.

Looks like we have another S/S getting "outrunned". All kidding aside, you won't even believe your own two eyes when you see it flying powered this way!

Let us know your thoughts after the flights.

cac_asi
11-05-2005, 04:57 AM
qban--

I am thinking about changing my slow stick over the setup you described above (#16). What kind of flight times are you getting? I want to achieve good climb and long flight times for teaching others to fly.

What other motors would be good, and possibly available at a local hobby store?

qban_flyer
11-05-2005, 05:29 AM
qban--

I am thinking about changing my slow stick over the setup you described above (#16). What kind of flight times are you getting? I want to achieve good climb and long flight times for teaching others to fly.

What other motors would be good, and possibly available at a local hobby store?

With a 900mAh 11.1V T/P (battery pack dead after less than 50 cycles) swinging a 9X3.8SF APC I get a bit over 15 minutes at a bit over 1/3 throttle. BTW, 1/3 throttle will have that Stick climbing at 20 degrees, so mostly what I do is take off, climb out like a maniac, do a few loops, hang around a bit, thouch down, rev up and go back for the same routine once again.

I have flown it with a 1320mAh T/P (battery pack dead before it reached 50 cycles) 7.4V swinging an 11X3.8SF APC for an extra six to seven minutes of flying time. Performance is slightly reduced, but it will take off at half throttle and climb out at 15 degrees or so. If I need to I open the trhottle wide open and it will climb at 45 degrees!

Another motor I like is the E-Flite EFLM1205 outrunner. A 2 cell Li-Po affair swinging a 10X4.7SF APC. Similar performance to the 400XT, though a bit pricier. The 400XT @ H/L is $29.90 while the EFLM1205 is $49.99. The E-Flite motor is the one they made the mount I am using on the Stick for. It required elongating the motor mount holes a bit more. They are elongated to begin with so they can use one stick mount to fit all their outrunners.

You can also consider the Himax 2015-4166 geared affair. Comes with gearbox and drops into the Stick's boom like hand in glove. Two cell 1320s swinging a 12X8E APC will give you 17 plus ounces of thrust and will fly the stick at half throttle for over 23 minutes. Not a cheap combo, but definitely worth looking into. The Himax assembly can either be run on two or three cells, comes with three sets of gear ratios, aluminum gearbox assembly and a nice, spinner like propeller adapter. With three cells at 4:43 - 1 ratio spinning a 9X6E APC, it will develop over 27 ounces of thrust @ 10.7A draw. Great for flying 3D foamies.

I am no longer using or recommending Thunder Power Li-Po battery packs as they have proven to be unreliable and short lived, IMHO.

Twmaster
11-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I just weighed my Slow Stick with the 8 cell pack and BL motor. It came in at 18.5 ounces! :eek: What a porker!

I honestly did not think it was that heavy. Wow that 400XT motor really does the job!

LuckyArmpit
11-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Okay, I'm gonna add my 3 cents. The slow stik was developed with new pilots in perspective. Its made to fly, well slow! If you have one and its going too slow for you, I'd say its time to move on to your next plane.
Put that brushless into something from Mountain Models or any other vendor. The slow stik can only do a handful of aerobatics. A brushless would make the plane only do the loops etc. faster. And adding ailerons to it doesn't make it into a 3-D or aerobat. If I had one, I'd keep it stock.
For those lazy days when all you wanna do is float around in the sky, sit in your camp chair, smoke a cigar, and have a glass of wine or beer.

Dave...

Twmaster
11-06-2005, 04:53 AM
Dave,

I cannot disagree with your point. However in my experience with my SS it was less than pleasant most of the time. I spent a lot of money replacing broken gearbox parts and props, found it would only fly well when it had 8 cells onboard, of course this smoked motors, and I was pretty unhappy with my SS untill I put that little 400XT on the front. I have not yet had to buy a prop or any other parts for that matter. My SS went from a marginal flyer to a good (and still slow) flyer. At least that is -my- experience. YMMV.

qban_flyer
11-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Huh. I loop my stock wing all the time with no problem. Heck, I fly it inverted and watch it flap! Don't know why folks are having problems with 'em.

Dave

Same here. I epoxied the wing halves together from the get go. Did the same with my very sloooow Tiger Moth. It is my habit to make wings strong regardless of the speed of the model.

Haven't had any problems with my S/S and it has hundreds fo flights with the stock motor and for over one week now with a 400XT brushless outrunner. I wouldn't go back to the stock set up for all the tea in China!:D

qban_flyer
11-06-2005, 05:29 AM
I put a BP-21 on mine, and all I did was put some packing tape on the wing. I wouldn't go back to the stock motor now. I tried to go back for a flight, but it was too slow now.

Not only is it slower, more so than molasses in February with the stock power plant, but also very sluggish in its response and difficult to control as compared when powered with a B/L.

When equipped with a B/L the plane has a more "crisp" feel to it in every aspect. I have gone from a passable flying machine to one that while still a slow and forgiving flyer does allow me to get out of trouble much quicker than before.

BTW, i have been flying R/C since the days of Single Channel Rudder Only days. How old am I? Let's just say old enough to appreciate a good thing when I see one. A B/L equipped S/S falls in that category.

timocharis
11-06-2005, 05:40 AM
I accidentally bought a Fatlout Turmoil in a fit of insanity, and it included a curious prop and a 350-size can that's supposed to be okay for 3s w/10x4.7.

So I stuck it on my slow stick along with (of course) an 11x4.7 prop. Flies very nicely with an old 3s Etec 1200. I'm probably toasting the ESC, but it's very hard to get concerned about it. We'll see.

Dave

qban_flyer
11-06-2005, 06:24 AM
I accidentally bought a Fatlout Turmoil in a fit of insanity, and it included a curious prop and a 350-size can that's supposed to be okay for 3s w/10x4.7.

So I stuck it on my slow stick along with (of course) an 11x4.7 prop. Flies very nicely with an old 3s Etec 1200. I'm probably toasting the ESC, but it's very hard to get concerned about it. We'll see.

Dave

Interesting Dave, very interesting.

That's how I began messing with my S/S. The stock motor (370 5 to 1 G/B spinning a 10X3.8SF APC) from a defunct Great Planes "Road Kill" Flatana was fitted to the S/S and it surprised me to no end, so I tried the Esskay 400XT outrunner and I am very pleased with the results. Recommended Pack for that power plant as per G/P is 11.1V 900 Li-Pos, so don't worry as the set up won't pull more than 8 amps.

The G/P 370 affair is now powering my GWS Zero, one that has gone from a marginal flying model to one that really ROCKS!

Pic. below of it on a fast fly-by at the World Famous N.A.A. Fulton R/C Aerodrome Saturday afternoon.

Ribcracker
11-06-2005, 08:25 PM
qban,
This Esskay is my first outrunner and I'm very impressed...especially with the quiet power. It's almost eerie. I have a feeling that gearboxes will eventually become a thing of the past. Thanks for your encouragement.
tw,
Thanks for the mount pictures. The grey GWS box worked just fine. I noticed that the extra voltage of the 8 cell (compared to the 2 cell lipo) is eaten up by the weight of the pack so 2 cells it is. Cad and hydride packs will soon be relics.
cac asi,
I put the SS up last night at 5:15 with the Esskay, 10x4.7 APC, and a 2 cell 2100 lipo. I flew with full throttle for the first 15 minutes but then it started to get dark so I backed off to half throttle and brought her down closer so I could see her better. At 5:45, it was so dark that I decided to bring her in while I could still do so safely. The motor and pack were cold to the touch. When I got in the house I measured the pack and it read 7.5 volts so I probably could have flown another 10 or 15 minutes. I'll do an actual test soon to see how long I can keep it up there.
Lucky Dave,
Brushless isn't just about power...it's about efficiency and duration. Sometimes I use my SS like a hotliner. I take it up as high as is wise, cut the power and nose it into the wind or chase thermals and see how long I can keep it up there using the throttle only to climb back up. With a brushed motor, you eat up half your pack doing low angle switchbacks to get up there. With brushless, you can get up there in a hurry. You'd better have the cooler beside your chair because a six beer flight is possible.
Peace,
Bud

qban_flyer
11-07-2005, 01:50 AM
qban,
This Esskay is my first outrunner and I'm very impressed...especially with the quiet power. It's almost eerie. I have a feeling that gearboxes will eventually become a thing of the past. Thanks for your encouragement.
tw,
Thanks for the mount pictures. The grey GWS box worked just fine. I noticed that the extra voltage of the 8 cell (compared to the 2 cell lipo) is eaten up by the weight of the pack so 2 cells it is. Cad and hydride packs will soon be relics.
Peace,
Bud

Say Bud,

You are another convert! Why pay $17 for an inefficient brushed motor and gearbox when for another $13 you can have really powerful and truly silent flight. Those clunky gearboxes belong in the past. You also described what the future holds for NiCads and NIMHs, they will soon be found in R/C in museums only.

It's eerie to see that Slow Stick take off at 1/3 throttle, isn't it? And that sound, it's so lovely to make low pass and only hear the faint propeller buzzing sound! AH! yes, they operate as cool as a cucumber and the batteries don't even get warm either.

Twmaster and I have been making converts in this are out many skeptics, some who were convinced that putting an outrunner on a Slow Stick would be a waste of money and resources. They all now sport an Esskay on their Slow Sticks and are constantly singing the praises of the motor?Stick combo! Some have purchased multiple Esskay motors after trying them out.

YUP! Outrunned Slow Sticks will rule the R/C skies as the most popular fun flyer and e-flight trainer very soon!

:)

cac_asi
11-07-2005, 04:06 AM
I am not new to r/c and have plenty of nitro planes and trucks to choose from if I want speed. I am looking to upgrade to make the Stick a more practical training device and more enjoyable to fly in my neighborhood when I have a few minutes to spare and want a "lazy" flight.

I know what people are talking about when they say the power helped them maneuver the Stick. Today I made a flight and thought I had lost my airplane. It turned to the NE and was headed out of sight before I nosed it down for some speed and turned it for home. Due to what I would call a light KS breeze, and the Stick would call Katrina, I dove the Stick into my flower bed for landing--no other choice without having power as an option.

I like being a promoter of the sport, like I think Qban is. I like to let people get their first experience in r/c with my airplanes. I've let kids and adults fly my airplanes and hopefully sparked some interest in aviation. The improved Stick will let me expose more people to r/c and airplanes with a trainer that can stay aloft long enough to get some enthusiasm started.

Too much power?? Around 1985 I was in high school and just began flying r/c in Joplin, MO. There was another kid named Sam Noe that I thought was crazy. Everybody at the field thought he was crazy, except maybe Kent Shockley (i.e. the driver/heir to the Shockwave Jet Truck http://www.shockwavejets.com/ ), because Sam was flying a .20 size Big Stick with a .60 on the front and stork-like landing gear. That thing would *^$% and get and do outrageous aerobatics. Too bad Sam didn't capitalize on his idea. It took the mainstream 10-15 years beyond that summer to make seriously overpowering popular. Maybe it was a mercy killing when Sam mid-aired my $20 Hobby Shack Spirit of '76, .049 powered, foam lead sled with an overpowered Sweet n Low Stick.

timocharis
11-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Well heck, if what you like is quiet power, toss out a few more bucks and try a Nippy Black 0808/98. It's the quintessential "hush" motor (especially 2s, when the larger props are nearly silent).

Plus it looks cool. Not the best motor in the world (an oldish design now, though it is distributed LRK) but very, very quiet.

Dave

qban_flyer
11-07-2005, 06:24 AM
I am not new to r/c and have plenty of nitro planes and trucks to choose from if I want speed. I am looking to upgrade to make the Stick a more practical training device and more enjoyable to fly in my neighborhood when I have a few minutes to spare and want a "lazy" flight.

I know what people are talking about when they say the power helped them maneuver the Stick. Today I made a flight and thought I had lost my airplane. It turned to the NE and was headed out of sight before I nosed it down for some speed and turned it for home. Due to what I would call a light KS breeze, and the Stick would call Katrina, I dove the Stick into my flower bed for landing--no other choice without having power as an option.

I like being a promoter of the sport, like I think Qban is. I like to let people get their first experience in r/c with my airplanes. I've let kids and adults fly my airplanes and hopefully sparked some interest in aviation. The improved Stick will let me expose more people to r/c and airplanes with a trainer that can stay aloft long enough to get some enthusiasm started.

Too much power?? Around 1985 I was in high school and just began flying r/c in Joplin, MO. There was another kid named Sam Noe that I thought was crazy. Everybody at the field thought he was crazy, except maybe Kent Shockley (i.e. the driver/heir to the Shockwave Jet Truck http://www.shockwavejets.com/ ), because Sam was flying a .20 size Big Stick with a .60 on the front and stork-like landing gear. That thing would *^$% and get and do outrageous aerobatics. Too bad Sam didn't capitalize on his idea. It took the mainstream 10-15 years beyond that summer to make seriously overpowering popular. Maybe it was a mercy killing when Sam mid-aired my $20 Hobby Shack Spirit of '76, .049 powered, foam lead sled with an overpowered Sweet n Low Stick.

You are on the right track when it comes to power and Slow Sticks. The extra power and efficiency gained from going the 400XT route with it is worth it weight in gold.

Love the "sounds of silence" while I am making a low pass with it and all I hear is the faint buzz of the propeller. Who cares what other may think of us? We are having fun. This is a fun filled hobby where we get to excersize our choice on planes as well as the ancillary equipment needed.

My R/C doctrine? To get the "best bang for the buck deal" I possibly can. Both the GWS Slow Stick and Esskay 400XT motor are examples the R/C doctrine I follow.

Been at it for over 53 years now and I show no signs of tiring of it yet! I wish more kids would get involved in this very clean, healthy and fun filled pastime.

rocket_jim
11-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Have read thru this thread till my eyes are glazing over with all the different numbers. Seems like most approaches here are for a heavier more powerful motor than the stock brushed one. Due to the motor amps draw, need a larger ESC than for the stock motor (yes I know B/L requires a different type ESC). And then perhaps a heavier battery to power it. Just adding weight on top of additional weight. Probably getting performance way beyond the design of this plane. Fly Fast!, Crash Hard!, Die Young!

For my $ I'd like to find a combination of (more efficient and perhaps smaller/lighter) B/L motor, (reasonable or oversized for long-life) ESC, and (medium-size) Li battery that would keep the plane at or perhaps even below the stock configuration weight (to continue to allow really slow flight), but with either a little more power or else longer flight times than stock.

I'm thinking direct drive for quiet, simple, and less landing damage.

If this is a reasonable approach, can anyone suggest a good workable combination?

Even though I am a rocket scientist and have Excel, the motor/prop/ESC/battery calculations seem more daunting than I want in a (relaxing!?) hobby

Thanks,
Jim Marconnet

flyranger
11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Using a brushless outrunner you will be using direct drive (no gearbox). Because of my modified wing (added ailerons), my All Up Weight is 16oz, but 5 oz of that is my NIMH battery pack. Yep, could use a smaller pack, but like the longer flight times. Li-po batteries would have more power and less than half the weight. Brushless motors are more efficient in converting current into rotation of prop that brushed motors. I like taking off in 4 feet and being able to fly on one battery for 20 minutes or so!

qban_flyer
11-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Have read thru this thread till my eyes are glazing over with all the different numbers. Seems like most approaches here are for a heavier more powerful motor than the stock brushed one. Due to the motor amps draw, need a larger ESC than for the stock motor (yes I know B/L requires a different type ESC). And then perhaps a heavier battery to power it. Just adding weight on top of additional weight. Probably getting performance way beyond the design of this plane. Fly Fast!, Crash Hard!, Die Young!

For my $ I'd like to find a combination of (more efficient and perhaps smaller/lighter) B/L motor, (reasonable or oversized for long-life) ESC, and (medium-size) Li battery that would keep the plane at or perhaps even below the stock configuration weight (to continue to allow really slow flight), but with either a little more power or else longer flight times than stock.

I'm thinking direct drive for quiet, simple, and less landing damage.

If this is a reasonable approach, can anyone suggest a good workable combination?

Even though I am a rocket scientist and have Excel, the motor/prop/ESC/battery calculations seem more daunting than I want in a (relaxing!?) hobby

Thanks,
Jim Marconnet

Jim,

To begin with, the brushless approaches delineated here are lighter and more powerful than the "best" brushed motor GWS is currently including with their models.

The motor gearbox combination offered by GWS with the S/S weighs in at 2.1 oz. and costs $18 delivering approximately 7 oz. of thrust. The Esskay 400XT outrunner brushless from Hobby Lobby weighs 1.6 oz. (.5 oz. savings in weight) and costs $29.90 and it is capable of better than 16 oz. of thrust.

Stock battery pack recommended (730 mAh) weighs 3.3 oz. and cost $17, the Li-Pos mentioned here (1300 mAh) weigh 2 oz. and cost less than $30. ESCs for this brushless arrangement can cost as little as $18 or as much as $25 and weight wise they are approximatelly .2 to .3 ounces heavier than non brushed ones.

As quiet as electric flight is, a geared motor will always be noisier when compared to a brushless outrunner. The gearbox itself, with all of its moving parts is an inherently noisy device. A brushless outrunner on the other hand is as quiet as a church mouse.

Yes, while a brushless set up, especially an outrunner will set you back a few bucks more, the performance delivered is easily better than one full order of magnitude in difference, especially when you take in consideration that the finished product will be 1.6 ounces lighter, more efficient, deliver better than ten times the performance and almost double the flight time obtained, not to mention the reduction in noise level from a very low one down noiseless.

So, in the end the B/L outrunner approach to the lowly Slow Stick makes more sense than the stock version. For a few dollars more you get better than ten times the performance, and with judicious throttle management you get almost 40 minutes flying time from a single battery charge with the set ups described. I know I do, just as I know that I would not go back to the stock motors and their clunky, noisy gearboxes.

Take care :)

rocket_jim
11-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Qban:

Thanks so much! Exactly what I was looking for. Complete and understandable. Even some prices and sources suggested.

One tiny quibble. An order of maginitude is 10 times. Comparing 7 oz of thrust with 16 oz of thrust, it's "more than twice", not an order of magnitude. But more than twice is a still LOT BETTER!

What you suggested sure looks like the way to go to me.

Jim Marconnet

qban_flyer
11-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Qban:

Thanks so much! Exactly what I was looking for. Complete and understandable. Even some prices and sources suggested.

One tiny quibble. An order of maginitude is 10 times. Comparing 7 oz of thrust with 16 oz of thrust, it's "more than twice", not an order of magnitude. But more than twice is a still LOT BETTER!

What you suggested sure looks like the way to go to me.

Jim Marconnet

I understand that one order of magnitude equals ten times the original. The improvement in actual flight performance obtained with this set up surpasses 10 times what I was getting with the original one. That is what I meant, not measurable parameters. I should have been more specific in my diatribe.

I have almost 400 flights on my lowly Slow Stick, 300 plus of which were made with stock assembiles. Once more, the performace level obtained after weight reduction, improved climb ratio and flight duration (combined) are better than ten times what I was getting prior to the switch over.

The ESC I am using on mine is a Great Planes SS-12. A bit more money ($35) but it is such a good match for that motor that to me it was worth the extra $10.

The motor mount adapter used in my set up is an E-Flite EFLM1915 ($4.99), a rather elegant and simple method to fit the Esskay 400XT to a stick motor mounting type plane.

Glad to have been of some assistance.

Take care

Twmaster
11-11-2005, 05:01 PM
One thing I would like to point out. My SS is a heavy porker due to the choices in components I used when I originally built her. In the configuration it is in presently it is still lighter then the stock brushed setup. The only reason I am using the heavy 8 cell batteries and big servos is because I already own them and they fly the plane quite well.

If I were to install smaller servos and a lipo battery I too would be at an 11 ounce flying weight. As for power I would not be able to claim any certain order of magnitude in power increase but I can say in terms of fun to fly this has increased by several orders of magnitude! :p

qban_flyer
11-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Just lifted this post from a thread on the "other site".

I hope no one accuses me of plagiarism for having done so. It is such a good deal that I felt compelled to bring it here. I have chosen to leave the name of the poster and site out, though I am sure many of you know which one it is. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A budget ESC that would probably be a good match for the 400XT is being sold by himodel.com. They have a November sale going on now. The 15A TowerPro ESCs are 12.99 each, but there's a five unit minimum. I just ordered 5 myself. They ship from Hong Kong, but their postal system is very good and you're likely to get them in a week to 10 days.

http://www.himodel.com/

Twmaster
11-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Damn and I'm broke ATM. My SS has one of those TowerPro ESCs. Not the best thing going but it does work.

rocket_jim
11-12-2005, 03:33 AM
qban_flyer and Twmaster: Thanks for the clarification on the order of magnitude - or even two orders of magnitute!

Since FUN is what I'm after, the brushless looks like the way for me to go.

When I was talking to my neighbor Ken F. today about this "decision" he said he had a lot of flight time on a Slow Stick with the stock motor/gearbox and he thought it was just fine that way, especially for a beginner. He suggested I hold the brushless as a later upgrade option.

He also pointed out that the brushless motor and ESC suitable for this plane would most likely not be suitable for my next plane - to think of what most likely follows in selecting upgraded equipment or not for this plane. That seems like a good point, but I have no idea what I might want next after a Slow Stick.

Jim

Twmaster
11-12-2005, 03:45 AM
Jim,

I'm glad my posts were of some help to you. In all honesty the SS flies OK on the stock setup. I find mine flies so much better now.

As for "most likely not be suitable for my next plane" I have no idea what that means. Does he know what your next plane will be? These motors and speed controls will work on a variety of airframes so I find it a bit closed minded to make such a broad blanket kind of statement like that. I have 4 of these motors. I can assure you they are not going in 3 more Slow Sticks! :D

Not trying to pick any bad feelings here. Just asking why he would say such a thing.

rocket_jim
11-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Jim,

.... Just asking why he would say such a thing.

Ken has 30 years in R/C and he develops and flies UAVs for a living. I appreciate whatever info/advice he may want to share, but will make my own purchasing decisions.

Like you, I have no idea what my next next plane might be, so I don't know how to plan for it other than perhaps to buy an oversized ESC and at least a 6-channel computer radio.

Jim Marconnet

qban_flyer
11-12-2005, 05:02 AM
Ken has 30 years in R/C and he develops and flies UAVs for a living. I appreciate whatever info/advice he may want to share, but will make my own purchasing decisions.

Like you, I have no idea what my next next plane might be, so I don't know how to plan for it other than perhaps to buy an oversized ESC and at least a 6-channel computer radio.

Jim Marconnet

Hello Jim,

For whatever it is worth, I've been "aeromodelling" for over 53 years now, and still haven't learned everything about this hobby yet.

You are correct, since you still have to get your first plane, and you have to learn to fly it before you go onto the "next one", how could you "know" what will it be now?

If you follow the established pattern in this hobby, it will, in all likelihood be another model equally powered though quite different looking than the Slow Sitck. That's the beauty of the Esskay 400XT, it will fit a large variety of models from 8 1/2 up to 20 ounces in weight. In this hobby that's a considerably large amount of choices. I would refer to them as countless choices!

Suffice it to say that if you do go for the 400XT and its ancillary equipment, you won't be dissapointed as it will not become obsoleted once you are "finished" with the Slow Stick.

Take care and have fun. This is a wonderful pastime.

flyranger
11-12-2005, 03:46 PM
I buy quality equipment whenever possible. My e-flite Park 370 brushless has been through 5 gearboxes and three planes and still kicks (you know what)!! The Castle Creations Phoenix 25 went right along through two different NIMH battery packs and one LiPO pack. My four channel futaba flight pack has been on four planes and is still running glitch-free. You pays yo money and yuh takes yo choice!

qban_flyer
11-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I buy quality equipment whenever possible. My e-flite Park 370 brushless has been through 5 gearboxes and three planes and still kicks (you know what)!! The Castle Creations Phoenix 25 went right along through two different NIMH battery packs and one LiPO pack. My four channel futaba flight pack has been on four planes and is still running glitch-free. You pays yo money and yuh takes yo choice!

I have a Park 370 outrunner (EFLA1205) used in conjunction with a C/C Phoenix 25 ESC also.

I find the Esskay 400XT just as quiet as the 1205, and the G/P SS-12 ESC as good, and less comlicated to operate than the Phoenix 25.

What am I trying to convey here? This is a matter of choices, economics and performance level. Had I known about the 400XT and the SS-12 before I forked $49.99 for the 1205 and $50 for the C/C P25, I would have been able to buy two of the 400XT motors for the price of one E-Flite outruner. To boot I would have saved me $15 on the ESC.

Qualtiy wise, the 1205 doesn't have a leg up on the 400XT. Both motors are probably made in the same plant in China. Similar puppy, different collar and name.

SS-12 vs. C/C P25? The SS-12 does not have as many programmable paramenters as the SS-12, but the SS-12 does not aggravate me as much as the P25 does when I am trying to program it for the particular motor and battery to be used with. The only programmable parameter on the SS-12 is the brake. All the other aggravating procedures are a thing of the past with the SS-12.

Furthermore, I won't fork out $25 to C/C for their programming device and the software to use it in conjunction with my PC just so that I can program it in ten seconds. Based on the price they charge for their ESCs they should include a 'rebate' so that the modeler would get one at no cost to him/her.

I don't know about others, but in my case I did get a lot more bang for my buck with the 400XT and SS-12 purchase. In addition quality remained the same, so it was/is a win, win situation.

ChuckB
11-15-2005, 12:10 AM
The SS with a Esskay 400XT and a 3s1p battery pack is no longer a Slow Stick. Where I fly we have about 5 guys that run these. With the brushless they are now called a Not So Slow Stick. I can't begin to tell you that fun these guys have had with them. They will take off in about 3 inches. The fun part is to keep it low at about 6 inches off the ground, go as far as you can and then up you go. They will fly inverted; loops outside or inside and I have seen a video of a guy hoovering a slow stick. All in all if you just want to relax once in awhile take one of these up and enjoy!
ChuckB

qban_flyer
11-15-2005, 04:56 AM
The SS with a Esskay 400XT and a 3s1p battery pack is no longer a Slow Stick. Where I fly we have about 5 guys that run these. With the brushless they are now called a Not So Slow Stick. I can't begin to tell you that fun these guys have had with them. They will take off in about 3 inches. The fun part is to keep it low at about 6 inches off the ground, go as far as you can and then up you go. They will fly inverted; loops outside or inside and I have seen a video of a guy hoovering a slow stick. All in all if you just want to relax once in awhile take one of these up and enjoy!
ChuckB

That's what we have been doing at one our clubs. There are several of them fitted the same way and at times we fly them in formation. Talk about getting confused with five of the same model, same color up in the air at the same time. We're having a ball! :D

Twmaster
11-20-2005, 02:39 AM
Hehe, confusing indeed. There were three of us there with our BLSS's. We did get to find the answer to one question today. It went something like this:

Qban_flyer: Tomorrow I'll see if my SS can fly inverted
Twmaster (while flying his BLSS): Like this? (pulls half a loop and flys about inverted) ;)
Qban_flyer: Yes like that.

:D

Had to hold a lot of elevator to keep level! The more I fly this thing the more I like it.

qban_flyer
11-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Hehe, confusing indeed. There were three of us there with our BLSS's. We did get to find the answer to one question today. It went something like this:

Qban_flyer: Tomorrow I'll see if my SS can fly inverted
Twmaster (while flying his BLSS): Like this? (pulls half a loop and flys about inverted) ;)
Qban_flyer: Yes like that.

:D

Had to hold a lot of elevator to keep level! The more I fly this thing the more I like it.

YUP!

When Twmaster had his inverted for some time, I decided that tomorrow's "challenge" for me is going to be "hovering" it a la 3D without ailerons.

We'll keep you posted of the things these planes are not supposed to do in flight, but are doing them anyway!

Love them Slow Sticks, oh! what fun it is to fly them the way they weren't inteded to! :D :D :D

KarlB
11-25-2005, 05:41 AM
Slowsticks aren't beautiful, they aren't efficient (at least from a L/D point of view) and they aren't easily fast. What they are is cheap, versatile, and easy to repair.

I take exception to the suggestion that they're for learning, then you move on. I've been flying close to 25 years, including glow, electric, helis, original designs, etc. The SS is an aerial jeep: ugly but practical, and I keep returning to it. The fact that it's not very aerobatic makes it all the more impressive when I do inverted figure-8's (no ailerons) or hovering torque rolls. Actually, hovering without torque rolling pretty much can't be done. :D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4401651#post4401651
Mine isn't silent with 150+ watts of brushless outrunner up front; the fuselage constantly creaks from the stretching it receives. ;)

It's also great as an aerial photography platform. Here's one of my recent videos (40mb): http://www.stcroixap.rchomepage.com/video/ComoBig.wmv
Or enter the URL without the comobig.wmv to check out a few other vids, all shot with a Nikon 3700.

Twmaster
11-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Karl, I have to agree with ya mostly. No my SS ain't purdy, it ain't super fast but it is a load of fun to fly even though I am no longer a 'newbie' I still really enjoy yanking and banking her around the sky!

timocharis
11-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Who needs brushless? I fly mine inverted with the motor from my otherwise useless Turmoil. Hover is not really possible without zero wind; what I get is a near-vertical stationary harrier.

Can't get a decent rudder roll to save my life, though.

Dave

qban_flyer
11-26-2005, 01:14 AM
I've been flying models for the better part of 53 years and find the Slow Stick one of the best things to come around since Phil Kraft designed what has to be considered the most resilient and long lived model of all time: the fabled "Das Ugly Stik".

Every "stick" type of plane you see today is a great, great. great grandkid of Phil's original design of the late '60s. Even the electric ones trace their pedigree back to Phil's design.

While some may not like its looks (the very reason he called it Ugly) very much, it is a very functional plane, and a rather versatile one at that. The same can be said of the Slow Stick. It's as ugly as can be, but put a different power plan on its nose, and like a chameleon, it becomes something totally diferent. It becoms a fun flying machine.

BTW: Mine began its metamorphosis when I put the power plant of a now defunct G/P Cap "Flat-Out" using three cells and the same propeller. That lead to an upgrade to the SK400XT and the end result is nothing but plain unadulterated fun.

Like Tw says elsewhere, it is fun to have around. Like Timocharis, I fly mine inverted, do outside loops from level flight. With the SK400XT I can hang it from its prop for as long as I want to at less than half trhottle, and have unlimited vertical pull outs just for the fun of it.

A B/L equipped Stick does these things and then some. It will not rudder roll, though.

Pehaps if I replaced its vertical fin and rudder with one made of balsa it just may pull that trick too. :)

stroland
01-18-2006, 04:34 AM
because it ROCKS! tower pro2410-09* My slow stick will now hover on a 3s 1800 lipo 0r fly for 45 minutes!

airmail wf
01-18-2006, 05:37 AM
why put a brushless on a slowstick?

To much power is just about right:D

eparks11
04-27-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking about getting slow stick, but the only battery I own is a 1500 mah 3 cell 11.1 v lipo. Will that battery eat the stock motor up or will I to have to go brushless on it?

firemanbill
04-28-2006, 01:13 AM
I'm thinking about getting slow stick, but the only battery I own is a 1500 mah 3 cell 11.1 v lipo. Will that battery eat the stock motor up or will I to have to go brushless on it?

Yes I do believe it would eat your motor up pretty quick.

If you want a slow stick and you want to keep it stock get one of those $10 gws 7.4v Nimh Batts., the litlle flat green ones, you'll get about 12 minutes of flying time and it doesn't take as long to recharge as a lipo. about 15 minutes on my triton

eparks11
04-28-2006, 02:07 AM
Yes I do believe it would eat your motor up pretty quick.

If you want a slow stick and you want to keep it stock get one of those $10 gws 7.4v Nimh Batts., the litlle flat green ones, you'll get about 12 minutes of flying time and it doesn't take as long to recharge as a lipo. about 15 minutes on my triton

How much more flying time could I get out of a 7.2v 2 cel 730 Mah or 910 mAh pack? Would it be worth the extra money to buy a smaller lipo over the NimH?

firemanbill
04-28-2006, 02:19 AM
personal prefernce I guess. You want to make sure you get a lipo capable speed controller if you do.

I fly mine now with a 400xt brushless but before I made the change I was flying a 2 cell 1050 and 1300 in it with the stock 300c and 1180 prop. would get upwards of 30 minutes with it so I'd say yeah it's worth the extra money

Bill

eparks11
04-28-2006, 03:10 AM
personal prefernce I guess. You want to make sure you get a lipo capable speed controller if you do.

I fly mine now with a 400xt brushless but before I made the change I was flying a 2 cell 1050 and 1300 in it with the stock 300c and 1180 prop. would get upwards of 30 minutes with it so I'd say yeah it's worth the extra money

Bill
I currently have an Electrifly C-25 that I use in my Gypsy. My girlfriend is getting me a SmoothE with a Brushless AXI for my birthday. My Gypsy looks like it's been ran over by a train (it was my first plane) so I'm just tying to find a plane that I can use the brushed gear I already have in. The price and the fanitacal following of the SlowStick has make me want to give it a shot. I think I am going to go with a 2 cel lipo b/c I can also use that in the SmoothE as well. Thanks for the help.

firemanbill
04-28-2006, 03:19 AM
Oh yeah that'll be a good setup then... Get you one of infamous 400xt's from hobby lobby and stick in it when your ready and you'll love it!

skiman762
04-28-2006, 05:17 AM
:D I feel the need .......the need for speed:D

qban_flyer
04-28-2006, 05:55 PM
HAR, HAR, HAR! :D :D :D

majbg
05-01-2006, 02:22 AM
Am looking at the $21 kit (w/o motor) then buy the $16 350 motor seperately. Question: Would I be alright to upgrade to a brushless motor / lipo battery now. I've been flying aero aces and ready for the SS. WOuld rather buy the better stuff early and grow into it. THnaks. bg

qban_flyer
05-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Without a doubt, yes! :)

firemanbill
05-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Am looking at the $21 kit (w/o motor) then buy the $16 350 motor seperately. Question: Would I be alright to upgrade to a brushless motor / lipo battery now. I've been flying aero aces and ready for the SS. WOuld rather buy the better stuff early and grow into it. THnaks. bg

ditto with Qban on that one!:D

eparks11
05-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, I got my slow stick last week and all I can say about it so far is it defiantly lives up to the name SLOW stick. Do all trainers fly this slow? I thought my Gypsy just kind of floated around for 15 mins until the battery drained but the Slow Stick defiantly puts it to shame in the floating/lazy park flyer/beginner plane category. I'm about to go fly it here in a few mins with my 3s 1500 Mah lipo because I'm basically running it at full throttle the whole time with the 2s battery. I'm guessing that still won't quite accomplish what I'm hoping though so I've already prepared my list of everything I need to buy for a clipped wing modification with ailerons. The only thing I haven't decided on is if I want to put actual ribs in the wing and cover the top and bottom or just leave the bottom of the wing open so it will still float slowly on landings. Any recommendations?

Steve
05-04-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm on SSIV. Currently, it has a Himax 2025 with 3S2100Lipos running a 12x8 prop. I have to tell you...it's too much power using the stock wing and dihedral. Flying into the wind, it goes straight up at 1/2 throttle and is almost uncontrollable WOT. The only reason I have it overpowered so much, is that I intend to make it an AP platform shortly and I want the thrust and duration.

It's a blast to fly, but I wouldnt' bother with the ailerons. IMHO, you're better off going to a sport plane like a Magpie or a Switchback if you want to fly an aileron plane and leave the SS alone and fly it the way it's meant to fly.

timocharis
05-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Buy a spare wing and build a symmetrical airfoil by clamshelling them. Take out the dihedral and install ailerons (you'll only need a small reinforcement for the middle of the wing if you make your cuts clean and glue neatly. Even just tape will do. But some people put a carbon spare in the leading edge). The ailerons are slightly tricky, but a little spare depron and you'll get it (the hinging surface is the problem).

Go hover!

Dave

eparks11
05-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Just got back (I like to fly on my lunch break), man, the 3 cell made all the difference in the world. With the 2 cell it was all I could do to get the thing moving, but with the 3s I could take off from the ground, do loops, and some pretty steep climbs. I'm sure it will burn the stock 300 motor out pretty quickly though. I could have scrambeld a really small egg on it today after a 10 minute flight. I have a ball bearing 280 sized motor left from a Great Planes U-Can-DO 3D (that was supposed to be my aileorn trainer, so much for it being indestructable), I think I might put that in there and see how it flys.

I think i still want to clip the wings, but I'm not 100% certian about installing ailerons just yet. As I said early I have a SmoothE coming in a month now, but I'd like to actually take care of that plane so I'm thiking about turning my Slow Stick into my aileron trainer. This is basically what I think I will shoot for:

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/42882/Gr93762.jpg

qban_flyer
05-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Just got back (I like to fly on my lunch break), man, the 3 cell made all the difference in the world. With the 2 cell it was all I could do to get the thing moving, but with the 3s I could take off from the ground, do loops, and some pretty steep climbs. I'm sure it will burn the stock 300 motor out pretty quickly though. I could have scrambeld a really small egg on it today after a 10 minute flight. I have a ball bearing 280 sized motor left from a Great Planes U-Can-DO 3D (that was supposed to be my aileorn trainer, so much for it being indestructable), I think I might put that in there and see how it flys.

I think i still want to clip the wings, but I'm not 100% certian about installing ailerons just yet. As I said early I have a SmoothE coming in a month now, but I'd like to actually take care of that plane so I'm thiking about turning my Slow Stick into my aileron trainer. This is basically what I think I will shoot for:

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/42882/Gr93762.jpg
The U-Can-Do-3D power plant will make one heck of a difference on three cells on your Slow Stick. Make sure you are using nothing larger than a 9X4.7SF propeller and keep your speed down to a "reasonable" rate. I have seen them when so powered to flutter their wings with disastrous consequences. :eek:

The noise they made when fluttering was rather cool though! It was the sound of the "Slow Stick Death Rattle". :o

eparks11
05-04-2006, 10:53 PM
The U-Can-Do-3D power plant will make one heck of a difference on three cells on your Slow Stick. Make sure you are using nothing larger than a 9X4.7SF propeller and keep your speed down to a "reasonable" rate. I have seen them when so powered to flutter their wings with disastrous consequences.

Do you think a 10x4.7 prop would be too much along with the 280 U-can motor and the stock SS gearbox? I'm just curious because I have a couple of unused 10x4.7 props laying around that I never had to use with my Gypsy.

eparks11
05-04-2006, 11:04 PM
One more question while I'm at it, have you ever done a v-tail mod on a slow stick? I was wondering if it's worth the work to do it. I assume the vtail would make it a bit more nimble which would keep me from having to install 2 more serovs in the wings.

His a nice pic of one I found:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/telcobilly/Radio%20Control/myredSS1.jpg

qban_flyer
05-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Do you think a 10x4.7 prop would be too much along with the 280 U-can motor and the stock SS gearbox? I'm just curious because I have a couple of unused 10x4.7 props laying around that I never had to use with my Gypsy.If the gear ratio of the box you are planning on using is the same as the one that came with the U-Can-Do you'll be OK, if it is lower than 5 to 1 the motor may fry in short order.

I have seen V-Tailed Slow Stick modifications. While they look cool, that mode is not my cup of tea. I have never liked to fly V-Tailed models. I have a few sailpanes so equipped, and to be honest I'd rather have my rudder separated from the elevator. In my case is just a matter of preference. :)

BTW, the plane in the photo looks more like a Slo-V than a Slow Stick. Its wing doesn't look like a Slow Stick's and the tail feathers are definitely Slo-V feathers. :eek:

ae5x
05-06-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm about to order one of these guys to put on my Magpie AP when it's finished:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-uberall.htm

In the meantime, I'd like to fly my SlowStick with it. Does anyone know of a mount that will adapt this motor to the SS's square fuselage?

Thanks,

timocharis
05-06-2006, 11:56 PM
First, you can just screw the Nippy motor mount to a gws 350 gearbox when it's empty. I think the 400 mount also works, but haven't done it.

Justgofly.com has a plastic motor mount that works, but I don't know how to link it.

MAE has a fairly expensive solution that I don't much like, but it does work:
http://rroman.rchomepage.com/Sub_Pages/Products/products_Mots.htm

Dave

Twmaster
05-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Have a look at one of these:

http://www.e-flightline.com/gearboxes.htm#Cobri%20rotating%20case

ae5x
05-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks guys!

Mike Freas
05-11-2006, 12:03 AM
For all you SS experts. I have everything for my bird but the bird itself. I purchased a 3s 2250 pack this past weekend. Is this pack going to be to heavy? It's fairly windy here at times so I figured the extra weight would be good and allow me really long flights.

qban_flyer
05-11-2006, 12:35 AM
For all you SS experts. I have everything for my bird but the bird itself. I purchased a 3s 2250 pack this past weekend. Is this pack going to be to heavy? It's fairly windy here at times so I figured the extra weight would be good and allow me really long flights.You'll be OK.

As heavy as that pack "might" be, it won't be nearly as heavy as the recommended NiCads originally suggested for the Slow Stick. Besides it will keep your airborne for more than four times as long as the original ones did! :)

Mike Freas
05-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks. Now all I have to do is find someone with a SS in stock without charging me an arm and leg. Most places are sold out until late May.

firemanbill
05-11-2006, 01:50 AM
too bad your'e on the other coast Mike. Our Hobbytown has 4 of them sitting on the shelf!

Rugar
05-11-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks. Now all I have to do is find someone with a SS in stock without charging me an arm and leg. Most places are sold out until late May.

Mike,
I ordered three from http://www.allerc.com/index.php last month and the shipping was only $4.99 for all three of them, and no sales tax because they are in AZ. Fast shipping and great service.

qban_flyer
05-11-2006, 04:09 AM
There is a guy almost giving away his Slo-V and another plane for $60 including shipping. The link below will take anyone looking for one cheap there.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=69686#post69686

tiredboot
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
I am in the process of converting my slo v to outrunner/LiPo(out of sheer frustration with wind and altitude poblems).
My question is: did you mounted your motors with down and right thrust? Or is it not necessary.

qban_flyer
05-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I am in the process of converting my slo v to outrunner/LiPo(out of sheer frustration with wind and altitude poblems).
My question is: did you mounted your motors with down and right thrust? Or is it not necessary.None of the Stick type models use down and right thrust, so you should not have a problem there. :)

BTW, the Stick type models I refer to above are Slow Stick types, not Twiggy the female model of the early '70s referred to as the Human Walking Stick. :D

tiredboot
05-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks Qban.
Btw a neat trick from Bill at Stevensaero for mounting an outrunner on a slo v 8mm fuse. Cut off the mount from the slo v gearbox, sand it clean and you can insert it in the 10mm outrunner stick mount adaptor. Perfect shim.

qban_flyer
05-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks Qban.
Btw a neat trick from Bill at Stevensaero for mounting an outrunner on a slo v 8mm fuse. Cut off the mount from the slo v gearbox,sand it clean and you can inset it in the 10mm outrunner stick mount. Perfect shim.Very clever indeed! :D

bsoder
05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
None of the Stick type models use down and right thrust, so you should not have a problem there. :)

I use down and right on all my motors. I just stick a washer between the mount and the motor on the left and top screws, works fine.

You don't HAVE to use offset thrust on anything, you can correct for it with trims... but I prefer to adjust the airplane so that my trims are neutral, or as close as possible, for level straight flight at about 1/2 throttle.

Twmaster
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Hehe. My Slow Stick is so banged up it won't fly straight on a dare! :D

qban_flyer
05-12-2006, 03:42 AM
They still fly, though! :D

Gotta love them Slow Sticks! :p

Mike Freas
05-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm happy to say I'm a brushless SS owner. I started and finished the kit last night in about 3 hours. I had some trouble with the speed control not wanting to run the motor in the right direction even after switching the wires. I had to break down and read the directions to get it to work. I added a hard dowel to the inside of most of the fuse tube. It was a tight fit so I didn't get it all the way through. I also added a carbo rod to the under side of the wing right in the middle. I'm looking forward to getting this thing in the air to play with it.

qban_flyer
05-13-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm happy to say I'm a brushless SS owner. I started and finished the kit last night in about 3 hours. I had some trouble with the speed control not wanting to run the motor in the right direction even after switching the wires. I had to break down and read the directions to get it to work. I added a hard dowel to the inside of most of the fuse tube. It was a tight fit so I didn't get it all the way through. I also added a carbo rod to the under side of the wing right in the middle. I'm looking forward to getting this thing in the air to play with it.Have fun. Say hello to Jim Barnes from Bert if you run into him at one of the clubs in the San Diego area. He's a good man. :)

Mike Freas
05-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Just got back from flying this morning. My first attempt at flying ended with a nose dive into the deck breaking the motor mount. Planes will tend to do that when the prop comes off under full power. I must say the group of guys that fly out in Santee are super nice and had parts and help to spare for me. I was back in the air in about 20 min. I found out that my RX is a POS and I will need to get a new one. Three times I lost total control when I got out to far. I had a blast flying today and look forward to getting more stick time. Thanks again Santee group!

qban_flyer
05-14-2006, 01:41 AM
Just got back from flying this morning. My first attempt at flying ended with a nose dive into the deck breaking the motor mount. Planes will tend to do that when the prop comes off under full power. I must say the group of guys that fly out in Santee are super nice and had parts and help to spare for me. I was back in the air in about 20 min. I found out that my RX is a POS and I will need to get a new one. Three times I lost total control when I got out to far. I had a blast flying today and look forward to getting more stick time. Thanks again Santee group!Is that POS as in Positive Shift or as in P.O.S.?:eek:

Mike Freas
05-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Good old POS. It was on sale when I ordered something from Hobby Lobby a while back. I'd say the range is only about 400' on it. I don't have the money to get another RX right now so I may strap my 8ch PCM RX to the SS and go flying. It will look dumb but it will work.

qban_flyer
05-14-2006, 03:11 AM
Good old POS. It was on sale when I ordered something from Hobby Lobby a while back. I'd say the range is only about 400' on it. I don't have the money to get another RX right now so I may strap my 8ch PCM RX to the SS and go flying. It will look dumb but it will work.OUCH!!! I have seen them at the Hobby Lobby site.

I'll make sure I remember the brand, model and picture to avoid them like the plague.

BTW, I have a friend of mine who has an FMA Fortress RX on his Slow Stick. If the name Fortress conveys images of size and weight, it is supposed to. Big RX, but the Slow Stick doesn't care and flies on. His servos are larger than HS-81s and he flies it with 2/3A eight cells NiMH pack on the original EPS-350 poweplant. Everyone at CASA can't believe the thing flies so well. :D

Twmaster
05-14-2006, 03:40 AM
Good old POS. It was on sale when I ordered something from Hobby Lobby a while back. I'd say the range is only about 400' on it. I don't have the money to get another RX right now so I may strap my 8ch PCM RX to the SS and go flying. It will look dumb but it will work.

Mike is that one of those 'Blue Arrow' receivers H-L had on sale a while ago?

Mike Freas
05-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah that's the one. I did a range check and got about 40 ft with the antenna down. I figured that was good for a park RX. I really wanted to fly the SS up high but I ended up in the bushes twice because of glitches. I lost all control of the thing and the elevator servo went to the down position both times. While flying close with the throttle stick off I could see the prop starting and stoping by itself. I haven't decided which RX to get yet but the new HiTec looks nice. I put my big RX on there last night but I'm not sure it's going to work just yet. I need to adjust the CG bad now as it was a bit tail heavy with the micro RX. I think I may have cut the control wires to short so my servos are aft a bit. Top that off with the fact that I now have a light motor on the front and you can see my problem. Even with the bumps I can tell that this little bird is going to give me hours of fun relaxing flying.

Twmaster
05-14-2006, 07:20 PM
I just converted my 'Porky' Slow Stick to Lipo batteries. Had to move the pack all the way up front to just behind the motor.

I have 2 of those Blue Bird RX's and am now sorry I bought them.

I also have a new Hitec 05S and it seems to be just fine.

majbg
05-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Is this the same Hobby Lobby that has arts and crafts? I pulled up their website bec my wife handed me a 40% off coupon, and for RC stuff, it directs you to "Hobby Lobby International". Same company? I heard they carry the E-Sky line, though it seems our local HL don't carry any RC stuff.

Going price for a Lama 2 v3 (~$130)? THanks. Bill

Twmaster
05-14-2006, 08:49 PM
no it's not.

majbg
05-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Bill

Mike Freas
05-15-2006, 08:54 PM
So I need input on a new RX. Here are the RX's I can get at my LHS's

1. HiTec electron 6 (expensive)
2. HiTec 5 ch micro
3. Berg
4. GWS

Mike Freas
05-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Ok, I'm going to take back what I said about the little blue arrow from HL. Seems I should have read the product description BEFORE installing it on my SS.

"Good selectivity and range to about 700 feet"

Rugar
05-15-2006, 09:04 PM
So I need input on a new RX. Here are the RX's I can get at my LHS's

1. HiTec electron 6 (expensive)
2. HiTec 5 ch micro
3. Berg
4. GWS

Go for the Berg. I have 7 of them and I have NEVER had a radio hit or glitch with them. Just make sure you use only Berg RX crystals in them.

qban_flyer
05-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Ok, I'm going to take back what I said about the little blue arrow from HL. Seems I should have read the product description BEFORE installing it on my SS.

"Good selectivity and range to about 700 feet"EDIT: "Meaning" useful for close in or idoor flight. :D

The Berg is a good choice from your list.

Mike Freas
05-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah I feel like a dope and luckly that I didn't damage anything. You would think after 12 years or so in RC I would know better.

qban_flyer
05-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah I feel like a dope and luckly that I didn't damage anything. You would think after 12 years or so in RC I would know better.He, he, he. Give another 12 and the lapses will begin to lapse into each other. :D

Been there, done that many times. :eek:

TopSpin
05-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I put a HiMax 2025/4200 on my slow stick. I needed a motor that could swing a large prop. My neighbor and I use the SS to haul a 1 watt video system, GPS, and other electronics that fly the airplane. The total payload weight including two 1500 mah 2S lipos is around 28 oz, that doesn't include the 3S 2100 flight battery. So far it works fine but I did add CF rods to the underside of the wings.

Mike Freas
05-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Could not help myself and went and picked up a Berg RX for the SS. I hope to get a flite this evening before it gets to dark.

TopSpin
05-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Mike, so far I have two of the Berg 4 channel receivers and they work very well. Good choice...

Mike Freas
05-17-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm sure it will. I could have gotten the new HiTec RX on sale for 29 at Hobby People but decided on the Berg. It cost me 43 bucks out the door with tax and a 7 dollar chrystal.

ae5x
05-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I spent a few hours this morning putting an FMA Co-Pilot and a Nippy 2510/114 on my SS and all I can say is "WOW"! I knew the brushless motor would run circles around the Speed 400 that comes with the SS but I didn't know it would make THAT much difference. It does ;-)

Both of these components are for eventual use on my Magpie AP, still being built. In the meantime I'll break them in on the SS. But the blast from the prop with that Nippy motor on it makes me wonder if the elevator and rudder will deflect if I've got the motor running full-bore...

qban_flyer
05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Could not help myself and went and picked up a Berg RX for the SS. I hope to get a flite this evening before it gets to dark.Good choice! Have fun!!! :)

qban_flyer
05-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I spent a few hours this morning putting an FMA Co-Pilot and a Nippy 2510/114 on my SS and all I can say is "WOW"! I knew the brushless motor would run circles around the Speed 400 that comes with the SS but I didn't know it would make THAT much difference. It does ;-)

Both of these components are for eventual use on my Magpie AP, still being built. In the meantime I'll break them in on the SS. But the blast from the prop with that Nippy motor on it makes me wonder if the elevator and rudder will deflect if I've got the motor running full-bore...
Hold the boom tight by its CG, run the motor WOT while applying elevator and rudder. It's hilarious watching the thing pitch and yaw! :D

Mike Freas
05-18-2006, 06:10 AM
I flew the SS tonight at the end of my street in the canyon. The new Berg RX worked perfectly. During my second landing however the wind blew the SS into a tree. It didn't take much to get it out but is landed on the prop and broke the adapter. While at the hobby store I'm going to pick up a 10X4 prop to see if I can get a bit more out of it. With the 9x3.8 I'm pulling 10A. I know that I will not be able to go WOT for very long on the 10X4 but I want to try. I will check the A draw before flying to make sure I don't fry the little 400. It's a blast to just float around at 1/4 throttle and be able to do it at the end of my street!

qban_flyer
05-18-2006, 06:18 AM
I flew the SS tonight at the end of my street in the canyon. The new Berg RX worked perfectly. During my second landing however the wind blew the SS into a tree. It didn't take much to get it out but is landed on the prop and broke the adapter. While at the hobby store I'm going to pick up a 10X4 prop to see if I can get a bit more out of it. With the 9x3.8 I'm pulling 10A. I know that I will not be able to go WOT for very long on the 10X4 but I want to try. I will check the A draw before flying to make sure I don't fry the little 400. It's a blast to just float around at 1/4 throttle and be able to do it at the end of my street!Hobby Lobby has "changed" the prop size from the recommended 9X3.8SF for the 400XT on three cells while flying their YAK-55 to a 10X3.8SF on the same pack. (?) :confused:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/yak55.htm

Mike Freas
05-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Frustration!!! Today I replaced my prop adapter and went for a flight. After about 3 min the motor quit. I thought the prop had come loose so I throttled back and landed in the bushes in the canyon. Aftter getting cut up a bit I got the bird and the prop was tight, weird. So I climbed back to the street, checked things over and went again. After about 1 min of flight the motor quit again. I throttled back then up again. I got just a second of thrust and it cut out again. I decided it was time to pack it in and check it out at home. I got it back on the bench and pluged it in. Everything was fine until I throttled up. Smoke! I let the smoke out of the controller! During this flight I decided to try a 10X3.8 prop. I checked the A draw before I went flying and WOT netted 13.5A. Now I know this is over the A rating of the motor but not the controller(17A continous 22A burst). I figured I would stay away from WOT and while I was flying was just under half. I e-mailed the hobby store then called Multiplex. I sent the controller back to them today and they said they would take care of me. It's kind of frustrating....I only have 4 flights on the bird.

I tried to install my huge Jeti 70A ESC on the SS. I thought I was smart when I got it installed until I remembered it doesn't have a BEC. Grounded!

qban_flyer
05-20-2006, 01:39 AM
Frustration!!! Today I replaced my prop adapter and went for a flight. After about 3 min the motor quit. I thought the prop had come loose so I throttled back and landed in the bushes in the canyon. Aftter getting cut up a bit I got the bird and the prop was tight, weird. So I climbed back to the street, checked things over and went again. After about 1 min of flight the motor quit again. I throttled back then up again. I got just a second of thrust and it cut out again. I decided it was time to pack it in and check it out at home. I got it back on the bench and pluged it in. Everything was fine until I throttled up. Smoke! I let the smoke out of the controller! During this flight I decided to try a 10X3.8 prop. I checked the A draw before I went flying and WOT netted 13.5A. Now I know this is over the A rating of the motor but not the controller(17A continous 22A burst). I figured I would stay away from WOT and while I was flying was just under half. I e-mailed the hobby store then called Multiplex. I sent the controller back to them today and they said they would take care of me. It's kind of frustrating....I only have 4 flights on the bird.

I tried to install my huge Jeti 70A ESC on the SS. I thought I was smart when I got it installed until I remembered it doesn't have a BEC. Grounded!

Too bad.

Watt Flyer subscriber darkside212 (Paul) (http://rcepower.com/) sells the TowerPro 15A ESC for $20. It is a great ESC and when one considers the extra $$$ the other ones cost, it makes it an even better bargain. I have two of them currently and have some more on the way from Paul. :)

There is one thing that is beginning to bother me about Hobby Lobby. On the 400XT page they give a prop. range of 9X3.8SF through 11X3.8SF using two to three cell Li-Pos. It stands to reason the two larger props. will be used with two cells and the 9X3.8SF with three, yet on their YAK-55 web page they "recommend" using the 400XT on three cells while swinging a 10X3.8SF propeller. :confused:

I checked the current draw using three cell packs and a 9X3.8SF, it came in at just over 10A. On two cells with a 10X3.8SF the current draw was 6A exactly and 8.5A for the 11X3.8SF. :)

Your experience here leads me to believe me Hobby Lobby is stretching the truth a bit in order to sell more motors, not good and someone should call them to task. No wonder the delivery date for the 400XT has now been pushed to mid July! :o

Mike Freas
05-20-2006, 06:05 AM
Even if the prop recommendations were wrong one would expect to burn out the motor not the ESC that is rated several A's higher. Mulitplex didn't seem to have a problem on the phone but if it happens again I'm switching to another brand.

Twmaster
05-20-2006, 06:13 AM
I'll second Qban's suggestion on the 15A TowerPro ESC. I have a few of them and am happy with them. They are simple and seem to just work in my experience.

Here are some real world numbers measured on my Whattmeter:

Well used 400XT, TowerPro 15A ESC (generation 1 version) APC 9x4.7SF, 3S 1050 Vampower battery: 9.6A, 109W @ WOT.

Mike Freas
05-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Multiplex gets one more chance. I thought about the cheep ESC's but I have heard horror stories with them. That is the main reason why I went with the Jeti on the Telemaster.

qban_flyer
05-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Funny thing is that JETI is now offering a "budget" ESC which operates on the same basic principle as the "cheap" ones, yet for a budget line, their prices are nowhere nearly as reasonable as those of the Tower Pro ESCs. :)

Mike Freas
05-24-2006, 06:23 PM
I called Multiplex yesterday to verify they got my ESC, they got it but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I'm having withdrawls!!!!

Mike Freas
05-25-2006, 05:34 AM
My luck really sucks lately. I was flying my Blade under the street lights when mechnical failure reared it's head. One of my blade grips came loose in a hover and down it came. Another 20-30 bucks!

Twmaster
05-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Dude this is normal. Crash, fix, crash, fix......

:p

Mike Freas
05-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Well Mulitplex has had my controller for 5 days and has not looked at it. I'm going to have to make a visit to Dymond and get a new one so I can fly next weekend.

airmail wf
05-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Mike, Go here their cheaper.

http://www.hobbyhorse.com/multiplex_radios.shtml

Mike Freas
05-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the link but they are all more then I paid for the Multiplex BL 17. Dymond has some cheep ESC's that I don't mind trying on a SS.

airmail wf
05-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Sorry Mike, I thought you were looking for a Tx. My bad.:confused:

qban_flyer
05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
GWS has managed to ruin what used to be the Aerodynamically Correct, Indestructible, Inexpensive, Pleasurable, Slick and Versatile Slow Stick!

Regarding the "new and improved version" of the Slow Stick.
Split boom: I never liked the idea of a split boom to begin with, I like it even less on the new model where the end user is forced to "take it" whether we like it or not. A split boom makes for a weaker "airframe", one that won't survive beginner's mistakes as nicely as the original has. :o

It may appear like a smart move on GWS' part, in the end it will doom the model to failure as a viable beginner's option. The argument about "ease of transportation" for the "split boom" is not a valid one either. Dismantling that bird for transport and reassembling at any field will take a good 10 minutes for each operation. Then there is the "are the elevator and rudder trims OK" factor to take into consideration. The minuses are greater than the pluses. I'll stop by my LHS and pick one of the older ones up. I won't touch the new one with a ten foot pole, period. :(

If this is the only version that will be available in the future, the model's fate has been sealed by itd manufacturer. It is doomed to fail miserably. :o

There is nothing easier and friendler than throwing a single piece, "rigid boomed" Slow Stick on the back seat and just pull it out, put its wing on and go fly whenever one feels like so doing. :)

IMHO, GWS has managed to accomplish the impossible, They have screwed up the venerable Slow Stick beyond recognition. The chance for it to be recommended as a viable, useful and long lasting trainer no longer exist. :(

I have removed the "model" from my SIG. :eek:

Matter of fact, I may no longer patronize GWS products, much less recommend any of them to anyone. :mad:

Mike Freas
06-06-2006, 05:24 AM
For those of you who use the SS as an AP platform what kinds of AUW will the bird be ok with? I have a big lipo pack on mine and the AUW is already 20 oz's! I want to get a new camera and get some pictures of my house.

qban_flyer
06-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Some of the ones I have seen with an AP rig onboard have clocked in at a tad over 28 oz. :)

They still fly nicely, though the wings have had carbon fiber rods fitted and the landing gear had to be reinforced as well. :)

I think the new version will have to have its boom replaced. I don't think the "new and improved" boom will survive many landings at that AUW. :o

Twmaster
06-06-2006, 06:05 AM
I remember one fellow who said his APSS was at 34 ounces!! :eek:

Mike Freas
06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
I can always use my much smaller 1300 mah pack for my AP runs to keep the weight down. I think my landing gear has about had it at this weight. I'm sure when I load a camera up I'm going to need to reinforce it. I don't want to come down and crunch the new camera, which by the way I'm looking for. I'd like a good, small, 5 megapixel camera for AP and general use.

qban_flyer
06-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I can always use my much smaller 1300 mah pack for my AP runs to keep the weight down. I think my landing gear has about had it at this weight. I'm sure when I load a camera up I'm going to need to reinforce it. I don't want to come down and crunch the new camera, which by the way I'm looking for. I'd like a good, small, 5 megapixel camera for AP and general use.A very good reason to solder a bar across the landing gear legs to prevent them from "spreading". Replacing the "tires" with either foam or 5 star wheels is mandatory, the ones supplied with the model are not worth fooling with even under the best of conditions. :)

tallflyer
01-14-2007, 03:04 PM
why go brushless?

so you can carry a small onboard video cam and get video like this

video (http://grouper.com/video/MediaDetails.aspx?id=1723152)

bolter
01-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Is a Hi-max 2816-0890 outrunner overkill on a slow stick? I want the baddest slow stick at the park....

rcskeeter
12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I have had two overpriced Thunder Power packs puff one me! The China/HXT batteries I have bought have treated me way better. Talk about value.

gfdengine204
12-03-2007, 09:25 PM
I have had two overpriced Thunder Power packs puff one me! The China/HXT batteries I have bought have treated me way better. Talk about value.

How, exactly, does this relate to the topic?

hillbille
12-05-2007, 10:23 PM
For those of you who use the SS as an AP platform what kinds of AUW will the bird be ok with? I have a big lipo pack on mine and the AUW is already 20 oz's! I want to get a new camera and get some pictures of my house.

Mike,

Mine comes in AUW at between 36 up to 42 oz! Depends only on which camera and battery I use. I have modded the stock wing - cut off the last "rib" and added 10" of formed blucor for a WS of 60". Lifts like crazy and flies GREAT!! Took all of 15 or 20 minutes (blucor and a hot glue gun!) to do. In the pictures you can see the joiner piece (doubler added at the butt joint) hot glued on the underside.

Electrifly Rimfire 35-30-950, Loong Max 2250 3s1p 11.1v battery, GWS DD1170 prop, Canon S200 or S400 cameras in a home made mount.

Hillbille

Nitro23
05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Hey what is the best brushless motor to use on a slow stick? I will be flying in a field the size of two baseball fields. Also I have it on ailerons which works really well but I cant get a good roll. It goes inverted then as I try to come out of the roll it drops. I can fly it inverted but I can't roll it. The motor would have to be a good replacement for a 350-400 speed brush motor.

flyranger
05-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I use an Eflite Park 400 outrunner.