PDA

View Full Version : Shopping...

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 08:03 PM
:D Well, after seeing what goes on at my school to nice cars, I have decided that I would be devestated if anything happened to my seeb. Cars have been keyed, broken into and anything else at my school. Seeing as I have a black convertible, it is probably a nice target for some of that crap. :mad: Plus I like V8s and huge trucks. :) So when we went to go put the camper in storage down in mankato, we stopped at a small car dealership and found some good lookin trucks.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/dropingoffcamperandrs4063-1.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/dropingoffcamperandrs4059.jpg

So I have cancelled payments on the sebring from my parents and here is what I'm saving for. :D

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 08:25 PM
That second one looks good AC and the price isn't bad either, depending on mileage of course.

I'd steer clear of anything like the first on with all that rust on it, unless you want to watch the rest of it waste away, once the cnacer has set in it is almost impossible to stop. (unless you do what we are doing to the Beetle!)

A good truck will be a great benefit to you. You sure can carry a lot more planes in it! Especially if you put a cap on it.

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Definitly!

I was looking at toppers, but they can get pricey!

I have some spare plywood laying around, I was thinking of making a cargo hold, but I dunno.

Also, I was planning on giving it some straight pipe duals. :D

Yeah, that is minimal rust for minnesota! :eek:

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 09:07 PM
All that salt on the roads I guess... It sure does eat them up.

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Yeah, there are some old Chevs that drive around here with rust holes that look like a bowling ball wen through the truck...

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 11:29 PM
won't be long and that first ford in the pic will look like that too! Rust doesn't care what brand vehicle it is...

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Hhaha, I know, I was just saying it was a chevy... :D

TLyttle
11-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Oh, dear, rust! With the Ford, just forget the cosmetics. Look at the chassis, and if there are holes there, move on. It ain't likely, but I have seen it. Otherwise, the only thing that will kill an old Ford Pigup is mileage, lots of it.

My favourite vehicle is a Ford 300"6, 3-speed, the older the better. In rushhour, it is amazing how other drivers leave you alone: they won't cut you off, or follow too close, because they know you have absolutely nothing to lose if they hit you, or if you hit them. It is tough enough so that there is seldom any damage if they do, or if you do. Very relaxing... Count on getting ~a quarter-million miles out of it with little maintenance or repairs.

aircruiser
11-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Oh, dear, rust! With the Ford, just forget the cosmetics. Look at the chassis, and if there are holes there, move on. It ain't likely, but I have seen it. Otherwise, the only thing that will kill an old Ford Pigup is mileage, lots of it.

My favourite vehicle is a Ford 300"6, 3-speed, the older the better. In rushhour, it is amazing how other drivers leave you alone: they won't cut you off, or follow too close, because they know you have absolutely nothing to lose if they hit you, or if you hit them. It is tough enough so that there is seldom any damage if they do, or if you do. Very relaxing... Count on getting ~a quarter-million miles out of it with little maintenance or repairs.

Thanks!

This is why I'm a Ford guy, and mopar too.

firemanbill
11-13-2006, 09:45 PM
true but everyone has a story about brand x being indestructible.

I had a Cevrolet truck with a V6 that I couldn't shoot to make it stop. I've got a VW Beetle with 459,000 miles on it. I've got a 91 F-150 now with 150,000 miles that is a tank and I'd drive across country tomorrow without hesitating.

But I had a Chevrolet Impala that wouldn't run if you towed it, a beetle that the motor literally fell out of, and a Ford Taurus that looked really pretty surrounded by all the firetrucks as it went up in flames:eek:

( you want to talk about embarrased, a firemans car burning to the ground!)

You just never know what your'e going to get into, or out of for that matter!;)

aircruiser
11-13-2006, 11:19 PM
That's very true..and I know that different people have different opinions and I respect that. Like the reason I made comments about chevys was because I had some bad experiences with my uncles. His S10 was ALWAYS needing help. Not that I don't like Chevy because I like their S10s and blazers...it's more of how they are treated...regular oil filter and oil changes, tranny fluid, air filter, etc.

ForestCam
11-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Throw a plow on the front and you'll have it paid off after the first snowstorm.

Years ago (around '87) an ex co-worker bought a brand new 3/4 ton Chevy for plowing and in one winter he had the truck entirely paid off just from plowing.

Funny thing is I saw him driving it last summer and it still looks nearly new! :eek:

aircruiser
11-13-2006, 11:30 PM
I was actually thinking about that too!

But the city has plow trucks and there is around 20 trucks in my area that plow local parking lots, I dunno, I'll have to look around...

ForestCam
11-13-2006, 11:36 PM
The trick is to check into lansdscaping/lawncare companies in your area who do snow removal. Most outfits around here use guys with their own trucks as well as the company's. The more trucks they can put on the road mean more contracts they can handle.
Plus if you keep a record of your fuel usage while plowing you can deduct it from your taxes, unless of course you're getting paid under the table, but then no one ever does that. :D

firemanbill
11-13-2006, 11:49 PM
The trick is to check into lansdscaping/lawncare companies in your area who do snow removal. Most outfits around here use guys with their own trucks as well as the company's. The more trucks they can put on the road mean more contracts they can handle.
Plus if you keep a record of your fuel usage while plowing you can deduct it from your taxes, unless of course you're getting paid under the table, but then no one ever does that. :D

noooo... cause that would be illegal!!!;) :rolleyes: lol