PDA

View Full Version : Goldberg Eagle 2 Conversion?

Stearman
11-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Has anyone converted a Goldberg Eagle 2 to electric? I have one that I'm considering converting, but don't have a clue as to what and how. My first time don't you know ;)

Would appreciate any information someone would care to share on how to go about this.

It's currently using an Evolution Alpha glow engine, JR radio and servos.

Thanks,
-dave

Stearman
11-14-2006, 10:38 PM
*bump*

Franny
11-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Hi Steerman,

Can you give specs of the weight and wing span/loading? Do you have ailerons on that? What type of performance are you looking for?

I am going to soon convert my old Falcon 56MKII to electric with an AXI 2826 and a 4S 3000mA Lipo. Should be fun...

Hey, neat Stearman in your Avitar! I have an AreodromeRC kit that is slated next to be built. It will probably take a good portion of the winter to finish. Conversions and building is what it's about Baby!

Franny

rcjake
11-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I converted the Kyosho Calmato Trainer to electric power uing a PJS 3D 1900 brushless outrunner motor. The factory installed motor mount was removed and nylon spacers from Ace Hardware were used with 50m x 3mm socket head bolts which bolted up to a firewall extension. The motor was then mounted to this firewall extension. A very simple conversion. I can provide photos of my conversion when I get to my other computer.

The PJS 3D 1900 provides more than ample power to fly the Calamto both as a trainer and for basic aerobatics. I am very pleased with this setup.

Jake

Stearman
11-15-2006, 08:12 PM
The Eagle 2 is a .40 - .45 trainer, here's the specs:

Wing placement: High wing.
Airfoil: Flat bottom
Length: 1245 mm (49")
Wingspan: 1600 mm (63")
Wingarea: 46 sq dm (715 square inches)
Weight: 2157 - 2383 grams (4.75-5.25 pounds)
Wingloading: 46-51 grams per sq dm (15 - 17 oz per square foot)
Center of Gravity: 4" (101.2mm) back from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage.

I found the following conversion config over at Hobby-Lobby - http://www.hobby-lobby.com/g2e-gbeagle2.htm
I don't need the charger, but still much more expensive than I thought it would be.

Thanks,
-dave

Bill Hawthorne
11-15-2006, 10:52 PM
This should cover what you are looking for.

Bill

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264085

Franny
11-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah, the larger conversions are kinda expensive... aprox $200 for motor and speed control and then a bit over $100 for one battery. There are lots of options on the batteries though... But, if you get it done for under $300, I think that is about the best you'll do with reliability and consistency. The AXI is top shelf... So is the Jeti... For me, I can't really fly glow in my area so I either pony up for the electrics or fly something a bit smaller...

Franny

Dereck
11-16-2006, 03:37 AM
Has anyone converted a Goldberg Eagle 2 to electric? I have one that I'm considering converting, but don't have a clue as to what and how. My first time don't you know ;)

Would appreciate any information someone would care to share on how to go about this.

It's currently using an Evolution Alpha glow engine, JR radio and servos.

Thanks,
-dave

Hi Dave
First time for everything!

Two ways.

One - science. Use very complicated prediction programs to figure out which motor / battery combo to use.

Two - do a search through all these forums on your model type and similar size/config models - What Sig Kadet is closest to your Eagle 2 would be a good hint here...

THEN you start spending...

D