PDA

View Full Version : gear ratios

big daddy
09-17-2005, 04:01 PM
can anyone explain gear box ratios for elec. motors to me what makes the prop spin at a higher rpm etc? gws 400 A or B or C? I don't get it

DannyR
09-17-2005, 07:24 PM
can anyone explain gear box ratios for elec. motors to me what makes the prop spin at a higher rpm etc? gws 400 A or B or C? I don't get it

I am fairly new to the RC as well. However, it is my understanding that the gearboxes general cause the prop to spin slower than the motor. So a 3:1 gearbox would cause your prop to rotate 1 complete revolution for every 3 revolutions of the motor. It seems most electric motors spin in excess of 8000 rpm to 12000 rpm.

I hope this helps (and is correct).

Danny

big daddy
09-17-2005, 10:40 PM
sooooo, what about the A B C asigned to the GWS motors

DannyR
09-19-2005, 02:35 AM
sooooo, what about the A B C asigned to the GWS motors

I am not familar with the GWS ABS stuff, sorry I can help on that.

Danny

Twmaster
09-19-2005, 02:49 AM
On GWS gear drive sets they are labled 1, 2, A, B, C, D etc. The GWS web site has a wealth of info. For example if you look here: http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/powersystem/eps-std.htm you will see what the various gear ratios are.

They also have a table with propeller suggestions and such.Have a look! :D

Matt Kirsch
09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Each letter or number indicates a different gear ratio. As the letters go higher, the gear ratios get lower, meaning the prop will spin SLOWER.

Unbalanced prop
09-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Each letter or number indicates a different gear ratio. As the letters go higher, the gear ratios get lower, meaning the prop will spin SLOWER.

Yeah...........what Matt said...............and you can spin a larger prop with the lower ratios without burning up or over amping the motor. You could never turn an 11 inch prop placed directly on a GWS 300 motor, but it will spin it easily mounted on a "D" gearbox.

Doug

flypaper 2
09-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Sort of like shifting gears in your car. low gear for pulling power, high for speed. :p