PDA

View Full Version : tri plane

big daddy
09-17-2005, 04:08 PM
who sells a foam tri plane kit? Ya know like the red barron:D or a spad like eddie rickenbacker

flypaper 2
09-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Bought one at the NEAT show on Fri. Watching Dave Baron fly it talked me into it:D Performed very well. Price was right too. You get more than you pay for in the kit. Going to put a Little Screamer motor on it. Horsefly Hobbies makes it.

big daddy
09-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks, I will be ordering mine today! please post some pics when your finished, the pic on there web sight wasn't great. also let us know about the motor you use and how it flys with only 20 inch wing span. Do all 3 wings ha alerons?

flypaper 2
09-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Ails. on all three wings. Dave was doing torque rolls and the wings were just a blur with all three going around:p Was very stable in a hover without any wingwalking. The Little Screamer motor I'm using is probably over powered but only weighs 24 grams. Got the plane half done.

timocharis
10-14-2005, 03:47 AM
I'd think a Purple Peril would be a good match for that plane (2S). The de Novo 3S might be a little severe ... but you don't have to keep your left thumb fully extended all the time.

Ordered one myself. I hope he's kidding about the struts being for indoor use only...

Dave North

flypaper 2
10-15-2005, 02:08 PM
This is a great little all- round plane. Got a few flights on it now. High wing loading for it's weight which is 7 oz. with batt. so flies very well in the wind. The flat wing also makes it very stable in the wind. Moved the CG back till it flies inverted with no down elevator. Loops in about five ft. inside and outside. Haul back on the stick and it will slow down to walking speed with no wing walking. Haul back a little further and it will 3D hover with the best of them. Was skeptical about flying it in the dome last Sun. but no problems whatsoever. Just needs to be steered with rudder. Rudder is affective as ailerons at any speed. Rugged to. Takeoffs and landings show no bad habits at all. Just a good all around funplane with a bit of a scale factor. Looks comical as the 9 in. prop goes almost halfway out to the wingspan. Little screamer swings 9-5 HD GWS prop on two cells. Never gets much over half throttle even hovering. Uses a Apogee 830 MA two cell. Motor and batt. never even get warm. Let's hear from you other guys that bought them. We can thank Mike Glass very much for this one. By the way, lost that little wing between the wheel when I landed in a tree in my front yard where I shouldn't have been:D No other damage. As I say she's rugged.

timocharis
10-15-2005, 08:31 PM
High wing loading? I get over 2 sqft, or under 3.5 oz / sq ft. My shockie is a brick by comparison!

So far all I've done is set the leading edges of the wings. Since I'm a white glue fan, they're sitting to dry (just got the kit yesterday).

I'm assuming you still had a lot of prop clearance even with the 9", right? I'll be using an 8x4 & cdrom, which I will probably mount externally. Might look a little more like the Dr 1 round cowl that way (though the motor is probably too small). Have to paint it white, of course.

Dave North

WWI Ace
10-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Dvflighttech sells a Fokker triplane. Looks more scale but doesn't 3-D.

flypaper 2
10-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Bipes, tripes are only about 3/2 as efficient as a monoplane plus flat plate wings are not very efficient plus all that drag, better come in with a little throttle on:D Lots of ground clearance with the prop. CD Rom should work great on it. Building an indoor Pizza box right now with one on it.:p

Bigfoot21075
10-26-2005, 02:32 PM
I have been thinking about getting one of these

http://www.roughandreadyaviation.com/index.html

They are Air combat planes, but look really durable and easy to fly

timocharis
10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Bigfoot:

The D VII looks like it might have enough rudder authority. Those are big and heavy from my perspective, so they'll require more battery, motor ...

And they cost more than the excellent Dr 1 you were originally considering.

I've finished mine, and it's an amazing flyer. I've put up a build thread in case you'd like to take a look at what goes into it (and get some idea what comes back out).

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1975

Its most natural and cool trick is a vertical tailspin: get it into hover and give full aileron (either way!) with a little rudder. It will gyro in place, so slowly lower the throttle and it will start floating down tail first while spinning like a dervish. Pull out straight up. This is incredibly spectacular and funny at the same time!

Just as an example...

Dave North