PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Keeping Pinions From Slipping

markus
09-17-2005, 07:46 PM
I AM USING A BRUTE GEARBOX WITH A 3000kV AON MOTOR GEARED 4.75:1 (16/76) AND CANNOT KEEP THE PINION FROM SLIPPING. IT HAD BEEN FLYING THAT WAY FOR A MONTH WITHOUT ANYTHING ADDED TO KEEP IT ATTACHED BUT NOW I HAVE THREAD LOCKED IT (BLUE) AND WILL NOT STAY. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I HAVE HEARD OF SOME GREEN THREAD LOCK BUT HAVENT TRIED IT .
THANKS,
MARK

Twmaster
09-17-2005, 08:37 PM
Mark,

Try the red thread lock from Locktite or CA glue. It is also possible that either or both the motor shaft and pinion have been worn by slippage and may both need replacement.

Also, please don't type in all caps. It's the Internet equivalent of SHOUTING all the time.

Mike Parsons
09-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Mark,
You need Loctite 638. It is the green. You can pick it up at most autoparts stores or online at http://azarr.com/gearbox.htm (bottom of the page). It does not break down until it breaches 150 deg Celcius.
Like Mike said however, ensure that the pinion is a tight fit and not to loose from wear or even loctite will not help. And the use of less Caps is always appreciated :)

Cheers,
Mike

markus
09-18-2005, 10:30 PM
I will not use all caps next time. I used the red loctite and wrung it out for 2 flights with no problems. If it becomes loose again I'll try the green.
Mark

Twmaster
09-18-2005, 10:34 PM
I will not use all caps next time.

Thank you.

I used the red loctite and wrung it out for 2 flights with no problems. If it becomes loose again I'll try the green.

Excellent! :)