PDA

View Full Version : F5B practice videos

Jason T
09-18-2005, 12:41 AM
I shot some F5B practice video of a friend yesterday at the field. His model is the Surprise 10 with a Neu motor (can't remember which one), 10 cells of the new IB3800's and a 15x13 and I believe the Castle Creations Phoenix 125.

Jason

Fred S10 flight1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FkldA9n4zE

Fred S10 flight2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiRrl9rlBBg
(http://atltaylor.com/files/Fred-S10-laps.wmv)

Jason T
09-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Here is a link to a video of me doing some F5B practice laps with my Zoom Race.

F5B Practice laps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeodSa14Zck

jfassino
04-13-2006, 03:21 AM
Jason,

I enjoyed all of the video. Thanks

I have been flying the Siren and am considering moving up to the Ion. What is your thought about the upgrade?

Thanks, Jim

Jason T
04-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Jim,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

I know several people that have had the ION and really like it. It is a nice flying model and I think it would be a good next step.

Jason

jfassino
04-15-2006, 05:09 PM
The only source I see for the Ion is Hobby Lobby but the version they sell does not have flaps. I have read that a version with flaps and perhaps a different airfoil is made.

Jason is there another next step you would suggest?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Jim

Jason T
04-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Jim,

The ION is a good choice. One of the guys at our flying field has one with just ailerons and does not have a problem landing his.

As for the next step are you looking to do mainly sport flying or are you want to compete?

jfassino
04-18-2006, 03:38 AM
It is not to compete, just for fun. The Siren is fast but does not retain energy very well. I have been told the Ion/Hoot would be better.

Jim

Jason T
04-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Jim,

I agree with that statement as I have seen both fly. Also, the ION has a much larger fuse so you have more options for the power system. It can easily handle some of the larger lipo packs as well. With the two piece wing it is easily transportable.

John Boy
07-12-2007, 04:33 PM
I see the high speed laps with what looks like a power boost at each turn near camera. To slow it down to your landing speed do you glide one or more laps? Do you just not boost on last lap and spoil if too high?

Anyway, a video showing tranistion would be helpful in seeing how to bleed of speed.

Also I assume this is a true hotliner. A warmliner would fly maybe 30% slower?

Chris F
09-11-2007, 11:14 AM
It is not to compete, just for fun. The Siren is fast but does not retain energy very well. I have been told the Ion/Hoot would be better.

Jim
Hey Jim and Jason,

What about the Tiger from Hobby Lobby? Apparently they are on sale sometimes for $215. The Tiger is reported to be capable of 38-40 laps with a full on power system and it is fully moulded. I have a Chinese version of this model with a cheap power system and it is fantastic. Unlimited vertical climbs and adrenaline pumping dives and incredible energy retention.

This is the cost break down:

1 Airframe - $215 US
1 HXT 35-48-B 900 kv - $25.95 US
2 HXT D9 2200 mAh 4s - $73.00 US
1 OEMRC 60 Amp esc - $48.01 US
3 D60 - $60 US
1 FMA rx+crystal - $45 US
Prop + Spinner - $40 US
1 Rx pack - $10 US

Total - $516.96 US + shipping

You might not be interested, but just in case you are :).

Jason T
09-13-2007, 03:07 AM
I see the high speed laps with what looks like a power boost at each turn near camera. To slow it down to your landing speed do you glide one or more laps? Do you just not boost on last lap and spoil if too high?

Anyway, a video showing tranistion would be helpful in seeing how to bleed of speed.

Also I assume this is a true hotliner. A warmliner would fly maybe 30% slower?

John Boy,

Sorry I did not see this post until now. Yeah the camera was basically at Base A (where the pilot stands) and in the F5B course the pilot is allowed to climb 10 times and try to get as many laps as possible around the pylons (Base A and Base B). You can only climb after you pass Base A after coming from Base B. Once you are passed based A on the return leg you are considered out of the course and can run the motor. The idea is to get back into the course as quickly as possible but to also build up enough speed with the climb to maximize the number of legs (a lap would be considered 2 legs). What you are not seeing in the video is the thermal duration part. A basic description of F5B is that it is a 3 task competition. The first task is distance task where you try to maximize the number of legs (distance from base A to base B) with 10 climbs and you have 200 seconds from the time you launch to get as many legs as possible. After the distance task you climb to altitude to start the thermal portion of the competition. Depending on the contest MC they usually decide how long you must thermal. It can be anywhere from 5-10mins. You can use your motor to climb as much as you want but you are penalized 1 point per every 1 second of motor run time.

The last task is the landing task and the idea is to land right at 5 or 10 minutes whatever the thermal task duration is. Every second under 5 minutes for example a point is subtracted and likewise for every second you are over 5 minutes. Then there are landing zones and the closer you get to the center the more points you score. Typically there are 10, 20 and 30 meter circle that you have to land in like a bull's eye.

To answer your question regarding slowing down for landing, you have to time this when you are finishing your thermal portion so that you land right on time. I typically try to setup so that I have plenty of distance to bleed off speed and I have crow setup of my F5B model (ailerons up and flaps down) to really hit the spot landings.

A warmliner could be even slower than 30% just depending on the model.

I hope this helps and is not overly complicated.

Jason T
09-13-2007, 03:11 AM
Chris,

I believe the Tiger would be a good entry to intermediate level model for F5B. Where you have to be careful is using a lot of power and weight in a model like this especially in the turns so that you do not fold a wing. Many of the more expensive ships have fully molded carbon wings that are extremely stiff and can take some extreme high G turns.

Chris F
09-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Chris,

I believe the Tiger would be a good entry to intermediate level model for F5B. Where you have to be careful is using a lot of power and weight in a model like this especially in the turns so that you do not fold a wing. Many of the more expensive ships have fully molded carbon wings that are extremely stiff and can take some extreme high G turns.
Jason,

I agree. I was suggesting the Tiger as an option for Jim along with the Ion. Jim said he was after a hotliner for some fun. As a hotliner the Tiger must be hard to beat for the price. Mine only weighs 1.6 kg so I doubt I'll be ripping the wings off in a hurry ;).

John Boy
09-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I did not see your reply until today. Thanks, that was helpful, along with a link to the FAI rules. You explanation was very clear and easier to understand than worrying about scoring at the same time.

Im in the process of setting up a Flash 60 which they say is an entry level F5B. (The old version I understand an all fiber version is coming out.) Your video matches up well with my calculations of how such a competition flyer would go. In looking at a video from the world meet it appeared this guy was pulsing on each lap with an Excite. It might have been just a demonstration, but boy was that plane cooking. And I would assume it was extreme hot maybe with a prop speed in excess of 100. (Or maybe the camera was closer to the safety line!)

Anyway I am looking forward to getting this bird in the air. And now that I understand the rules (or objectives better) I see why the reasons for the hot set-ups even though more speed is obtained from the dive.

I think it would be challenging to also see how many laps one could do on a single climb (total distance). But I guess it is difficult to restrict the entry height so all competitors are on an equal footing.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Barry1956
03-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Hi just bought a hawk f5b as anybody got any settings which would help , got a hacker b50l 6.7.1 to fit in.
thanks s taylor