PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Windows XP Media Edition?

EpoweredRc
11-17-2006, 03:25 AM
I am looking at computos as I need a new one Im looking at a
Compaq Presario SR2032X Desktop PC

• AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+
• Burn CDs and DVDs
• 512MB DDR2 memory

• LightScribe-enabled
• 200GB hard drive
• 9-in-1 media card reader

says comes with
Microsoft® Windows® Media Center Edition: Take your digital entertainment to a new level. Enjoy live and recorded TV, DVDs, music and photos on your home theater system. Access the Online Spotlight portal for video and music-on-demand services, news, entertainment and much more.

I never even seen XP Media Center edition, so have no clue about it, is it like xp home or what?

if anyone knows it be great.

It also has the following for Video

nVIDIA® graphics: Integrated nVIDIA GeForce™ 6150LE graphics with up to 256MB of shared video memory are ready to handle graphically-demanding games and video.

I weant one that will handle a good similator like G3 or FSone or something like that.

here is everything it has...I have had this computor for about 6 years and have replaced the harddrives and this and that and the fans are junk I am tired of fixing it, when I get a new one Im going to just reformat this one and put games on it for my gf to play.

Compaq Presario Desktop PC (SR2032X)

Microsoft® Windows® Media Center Edition: Take your digital entertainment to a new level. Enjoy live and recorded TV, DVDs, music and photos on your home theater system. Access the Online Spotlight portal for video and music-on-demand services, news, entertainment and much more.
Microsoft Vista™ capable: This notebook is compatible with the Vista operating system, the next generation of Microsoft Windows
Desktop performance: The 2.2GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 3500+ processor, super-fast 7200rpm 200GB Serial ATA hard drive and 512MB of advanced DDR2 memory deliver fast, reliable computing.
AMD Athlon 64 : This processor runs on AMD64 technology, a revolutionary system that can run 32-bit applications at full speed as well as handle the next generation of powerful 64-bit software applications.
Burn CDs and DVDs: Create pro-quality discs with the double-layer DVD±RW drive. Use special double-layer media to burn up to 8.5GB of movies, music or data onto a single disc.
LightScribe disc-labeling: Burn custom, silkscreen-quality labels and images onto your discs with the same drive that burns the data.
9-in-1 media card reader: Seamlessly transfer digital images from your digital camera and camcorder. This versatile reader accepts Smart Media, xD™, MultiMedia Card, SD™, Compact Flash I/II, MicroDrive, Memory Stick® and Memory Stick PRO™ memory cards.
nVIDIA® graphics: Integrated nVIDIA GeForce™ 6150LE graphics with up to 256MB of shared video memory are ready to handle graphically-demanding games and video.
Great for productivity: Start getting more done. Microsoft® Works 8 includes word processor, spreadsheet, database and calendar programs. Quicken New User Edition User Edition 2006 helps you track your finances and investments.
Tough security: Pre-installed Norton security software helps protect you from viruses, spam, spyware and other online threats—right out of the box.
Tons of ports: With five USB 2.0 and two PS/2 ports, you’ll be able to add an array of peripherals.
Note: Monitor sold separately
Software bundle:
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, Works 8, Money 2006, MSN® Encarta® Standard Online and Office 2003 Student/Teacher Edition (60-day trial)
Norton® Internet Security 2006 (with 60 days of live updates)
Quicken 2006 New User Edition
HP Photosmart Premier
Sonic MyDVD Plus
RealPlayer
Adobe® Reader® 7.0

aviatordave
11-17-2006, 04:23 AM
my 16 year old boy just got a Compac Presario today (laptop). I think its a little smaller than what you have listed...his is a V5000, but looks very capable. The XP media edition is pretty neat, I was looking at that just a little bit ago. There are some funtions for you to record tv shows, movies....etc. It looks and operated the same as XP home edition. I'm kinda jealous...that machine he has is really nice.
The computer you are looking at will easily run G3 or the like. I wouldnt even think that G3 or fSone would even come close to stretching its capabilities. I think you will like it, I know I will most likely get one for myself this January. My kids will inherit this old Dell laptop!

Dave

EpoweredRc
11-17-2006, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the reply, well I have a old ME windows now and this pc is slow, video card is okay but not to good, I was reading on a web fourm about some dont like the intergrated video card, Not sure if you can put in a better one or not. i guess I will go look at pcs tommorrow and talkt o some people about them to see.
I dont have the cash now but my bday is in 11 days and christmas around the corner I hope to get money then I can get one.

aviatordave
11-17-2006, 04:34 AM
Just make sure that whatever you buy has an open AGP/PCI slot...that will tell you that you can upgrade to a newer - faster video card

Also try to find out if the Ram is expandable. My kids starts out at 512 mb of Ram which he can expand to 4 gig...and he has the AGP/PCI slots open.

Good luck!

hey - I dont know how old you are, but if college is on the horizon you might want to look at laptops. they have come down in price...my kid got his (mentioned above) for $550 new in box from ebay.

EpoweredRc
11-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Just make sure that whatever you buy has an open AGP/PCI slot...that will tell you that you can upgrade to a newer - faster video card

Also try to find out if the Ram is expandable. My kids starts out at 512 mb of Ram which he can expand to 4 gig...and he has the AGP/PCI slots open.

Good luck!

hey - I dont know how old you are, but if college is on the horizon you might want to look at laptops. they have come down in price...my kid got his (mentioned above) for $550 new in box from ebay.

Thanks for the reply, I went to Circiut city today looking the one I want you can upgrade to abetter video card and you can expand the ram it comes with 512 and you can expand to the 2GB,wow he put 4gb in his goodness...

the computor I am looking at is way beyond the one I am using now.
and no college for me. I will be 27 sunday, But I would like a laptop for other reasons, maybe one day , they have come down A lot.

aviatordave
11-22-2006, 05:10 AM
cool, let us know what you get and how you like it.

I'm not sure why I thought you were a teenager ??? oh well its better than thinking your an old fart! (I'm 39)

EpoweredRc
11-22-2006, 04:08 PM
cool, let us know what you get and how you like it.

I'm not sure why I thought you were a teenager ??? oh well its better than thinking your an old fart! (I'm 39)

:D Thats fine, most who talk to me on phone or see me in person think I am older then I am lol.