PDA

View Full Version : hampster pilots?

edfire
11-17-2006, 03:44 AM
i remember seing a film as a kid,which had hampsters flying remote controllled planes it was very cute,and im sure animal welfare would have a thing or two to say about these days,but has anyone seen this film or was it just my imagination,maybe i should try this as an experiment,can hampsters be tought to fly?also did they have stunt hampsters,or pilot hampsters?

watt_the?!
11-17-2006, 05:08 AM
hamster?

Tailspin Ken
11-17-2006, 05:49 AM
I have a buddy that is about as smart as a hampster, and he flies pretty well.
Ken

Old Man
11-17-2006, 09:15 PM
It is pretty safe to say that they were using "stunt" hampsters.

We sent several mice up in Estes rockets when I was younger. The first launch was pretty sluggish. The weight of the mouse slowed the rocket considerably. The parachute portion of the flight was very short. When we recovered the rocket the mouse was alive but breathing very hard. But, it ran off really fast when we let it go in the field.

For our second launch we built a four stage rocket with "C" motors. It was slow off the pad but we lost sight of it after it dropped the third stage. We watched the sky and then searched the recovery area for over an hour. We never did find the rocket.

At the risk of sounding cruel, I wonder how many G's a mouse can survive?

ForestCam
11-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Well my brother found out the hard way that you have to have the mouse facing up in a rocket not down.

As far a a hampster pilot I can't say say that I've ever seen that but I HAVE seen a chimpanzee secret agent.
http://www.citizenlunchbox.com/monkey/famous/pix/lancelink.jpg
:D

MikeMc
11-17-2006, 11:12 PM
It is pretty safe to say that they were using "stunt" hampsters.

We sent several mice up in Estes rockets when I was younger. The first launch was pretty sluggish. The weight of the mouse slowed the rocket considerably. The parachute portion of the flight was very short. When we recovered the rocket the mouse was alive but breathing very hard. But, it ran off really fast when we let it go in the field.

For our second launch we built a four stage rocket with "C" motors. It was slow off the pad but we lost sight of it after it dropped the third stage. We watched the sky and then searched the recovery area for over an hour. We never did find the rocket.

At the risk of sounding cruel, I wonder how many G's a mouse can survive?
Given the whole strength is not proportional to size thing I'd guess it's a lot more than humans.

We used to put frogs in parachute harnesses on kites. Give a little giggle and the frogs parachutes to the ground. Needless to say it can be difficult to get a frog sized correctly and sometimes they'd wiggle themself free. We had one poor guy fall a few hundred feet. Nice bounce, stayed catatonic for about an hour while the backup pilot went into action but eventually he started moving again and seemed normal. We used him again on later test flights.

EpoweredRc
11-17-2006, 11:36 PM
I just now read this, ha ha, I have seen a movie where i mouse/rat or whatever he was flew a plane and drove a car, Remember Sturat little (sp)
Most movies I would guess its just a dummy whatever on the plane or heli or whatever then they use images to make it look like it is moving and all and someone is flying it...

I was just watching toy solders other day and they had one the GI looking guys flying a heli.... Can we say NOt real LOL

Ribcracker
11-18-2006, 03:10 AM
watt-the?!
why is everyone spelling it hampster? Maybe that's the British version.

EpoweredRc
11-18-2006, 04:45 AM
watt-the?!
why is everyone spelling it hampster? Maybe that's the British version.

cause now days half the people drop out of HS and have no education...:D They also dont have a good spell checker:eek:

edfire
11-18-2006, 01:16 PM
nice stories,i esspecailly like the mouse astronauts and frog pilots,my spelling of hamster or hampster is probably wrong, iam dyslexic,and had a pretty poor education any way.i learnt more from tv than school,i like the monkey secret agent
i remeber as a youth one of my close friends had a tamiya frog rc buggy,which was driven with a hamster,it too was frozen for about 10 mins,after having been micro micheal schumacher,the only thing lacking would be a hamster costumes,or frog and mouse costumes too,thanks for the replies guys its been most amusing.....ed:)

U2Steve
11-19-2006, 05:34 AM
My kids, when they were smaller, used to watch a TV show called Once Upon a Hamster, which was a British import originally called Tales of the Riverbank. Had a bunch of little critters running around, driving cars and doing stuff, and they had a character called Hammy the Hamster. I think he was the one that flew a plane. They mixed footage of an R/C plane flying around with close-ups of a hamster in a nice scale cockpit, with a sky blue-screened in behind him and a fan going full blast offscreen, ruffling his fur. Maybe this is what you're remembering? The original British series goes back to the Sixties.

MacMyers
11-20-2006, 02:53 PM
cause now days half the people drop out of HS and have no education...:D They also dont have a good spell checker:eek:

Are you really insulting people for misspelling Hamster? :confused:

stinkweed007
11-20-2006, 03:01 PM
The Original Remote Controlled Flying Pet...
http://img.timeinc.net/Life/space/covers/cv021061.jpg

edfire
11-23-2006, 02:07 PM
thanks steve for reminding me i kind of remember tales of the river bank,and hammy the hamster:) ...ed