PDA

View Full Version : motor goes on and off with transmitter shut off

Eggvoel
09-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Something seems to be glitching in my electronics in my Formosa. 3 flights ago it flew perfectly. Next flight a week later after ROG I couldn't control it and did a major crash. Seemed like it just wouldn't react to the control inputs properly. I had reversed the servo switches from my Estarter which I flew just prior to this flight and checked the control surfaces in my preflight and all was correct. Glued it back together and flew my Estarter first and then tried the Formosa again after servo reversing and preflight controls. ROG and again hard to control, but managed to land. Turned off the transmitter as I walked to the plane and the motor kept going on and off until I switched the ESD off. Post landing inspection showed to trim available to the ailerons in one direction. I had been trying to trim it while trying to land. Don't recall playing with the aileron servo during rebuild.
have had some crashes before, but like I said, I had an excellent flight prior to this happening. Any thoughts? Thanks larry
Hitec Lazer 4 transmitter and GWS R6N 6 channel receiver, FMA Super 20 ESC, Kokam 2c1500 battery, GWS 350 motor, B gearing

ForestCam
09-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Always disconnect your battery flight battery before you turn off the transmitter! Without a signal from the trans the reciever picks up errant signals and interprets them as inputs.

And odds are you have a stripped servo gear or two. Just had to replace the gears in one of my servos yesterday to correct the same problem.

Eggvoel
09-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Thank-you ForestCam for your info. I don't think what you referred to is relevant in this case. The airplane was on the ground 100 ft away from me and as I was walking to retrieve it with the transmitter turned off, the prop kept going on and off on it's own until I could pick up the plane and turn the ESC off!!
I may have answered my own question this morning as this really bugged me. I centered the servo for the ailerons and the trim seemed fine. I repositioned the receiver as far away from the ESC as I could in the Formosa cavity and got brave and tried another flight this afternoon since the wind was still calm: hand launch and all was fine, got 2 batteries of flights in and it handled just fine and no glitches. Why it happened after a no fault flight before, who knows, but so far so good.
I also repostioned the antennae somewhat when moving the receiver, but we are only talking an inch or two. Thanks. Larry

Twmaster
09-18-2005, 11:03 PM
As mentioned previously always turn off the plane first TX last. The reverse is true for turning things on. TX first plane last.

It's not uncommon for the ESC to cause some glitching when mounted close to the receiver. It is always good practice to mount the ESC as far from the RX and antenna as possible.

Glad to see you worked out the problems. :)

Eggvoel
09-19-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys about the advice of shutting off the transmitter last. That is my normal procedure, but when I saw the prop bouncing the plane around on the ground as I was walking towards it I shut off the transmitter hoping it would help. I did turn it back on and shut down in the correct order. Hopefully the glitches are gone now. Flying this afternoon if the winds are down. Larry

Duster52
10-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks guys about the advice of shutting off the transmitter last. That is my normal procedure, but when I saw the prop bouncing the plane around on the ground as I was walking towards it I shut off the transmitter hoping it would help. I did turn it back on and shut down in the correct order. Hopefully the glitches are gone now. Flying this afternoon if the winds are down. Larry

That is not what you said the first two times. You said you walked toward it with the tx off and the motor was going on and off. This time you said the motor was going on and off before you turned the tx off. Which is it? With your first statements, you will almost ALWAYS have servos glitching and motor trying to start and sometimes starting, if you have the tx off and the esc on. That is what Twmaster was trying to tell you. If it was doing it before you turned the tx off, then it is something else, unless, at 100 ft away, you pushed your antenna back down. That would be the same as turning off the tx.

Eggvoel
10-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Haven't been back to this site in awhile. Dusty52 was questioning what I did first: turn off the transmitter or ESC. As I recollect I was walking towards the airplane when I noticed it bouncing up and down as the motor was turning on and off and it was on it's nose and the prop hitting the ground. Not wanting any further damage I turned off the transmitter as I walked towards it thinking this would kill any signals to the airplane. I probably also put the antennea down. the motor kept going on and off until a shut off the ESC.
The post crash inspection did not show that the receiver or esc had moved from their velcroed position.
I have since moved the ESC as far away as I could in the cramped Formosa body and have not had any more of those problems. larry

ndfrank
10-08-2005, 12:50 PM
I just finished reading all the articles on switches. It seems nobody uses them. IWANT/NEED a switch since once I have connected everything up I have to disassembly the airplane to disconnect the battery.Does ANYONE know of a switch that can handle 28 vlots DC and 35 amps?

Thanks,
Love Electric Powered Aircraft Models

hoppy
10-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Sure, go to a marine store such as WEST marine or an Airplane (fullsize) parts supplier.

ndfrank
10-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks
Love Electric Powered Airpalne Models