PDA

View Full Version : RIP for my Yak and a warning

Solid Hit
11-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Yesterday was maiden day for my GP Yak 45. I went through my range check, I watched the control surfaces move correctly, I armed the motor, and went her down the runway.

Picture perfect takeoff. Gentle clime, a little underpowered, but the low rated throws were fine and she was a pleasure to fly. A couple laps around my field and I tried a big loop. At the apex of the loop she proceeded to the ground at full throttle - no control. I had cut the throttle when I saw that the collision was eminent and when I got to the plane I was surprised to see the motor still running strong.

I took the balsa pieces that was once the Yak back to my work shop to salvage the parts. The antenna for the rx was ripped out from the crash so I thought I would at least save the crystal .... where's the crystal??? I always tape the crystal to the rx - just not this time.

Just a little reminder, as many time as we have gotten away with not securing the crystal, it only takes one time to lose a great plane. Luckily it was not a fly away!

EpoweredRc
11-19-2006, 03:27 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about your lose. That really stinks being the first flight ever. Crystals do come loose sometimes.

firemanbill
11-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Man I hate that for you Bill...:(

Any chance of salvaging her?

It is amazing how the littlest thing you overlook is usually what bites you in the nether regions.

up_ya_go
11-19-2006, 08:20 PM
What bummer mate :( ...... thanks for the warning !
Cheers ray

Twmaster
11-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Wow. I've never 'secured' my crystals. Heck of a wake up call.

Solid Hit
11-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the requiem but she's no where near salvageable. She had the potential of being a great sport flier. I realize that 3 minuets is not a good evaluation of a plane but I've had some bad ones that were discovered in less time!

My wife felt so bad about it that I got a Thanksgiving present - a trip to the lhs where I got the Yak but they didn't have another one. I ended up with the Reactor which was the one I originally went to buy.

FlyBri
11-22-2006, 03:37 AM
So Sorry to hear about your Yak.. I guess I should go through my planes and secure the crystals in the rx.
I think you will like the reactor I loved how mine flew. GP is replacing my Reactor and Yak and I am getting the reactor up first.

Crash Test Dummy
11-22-2006, 04:43 AM
Wow, that sucks. I lost one of my V-Diamonds that way. I was doing a verticle climb and when she started to slow her accent I cut the power and she snaped to a nose down attitude. When it snaped I think the crystal came loose cause she went in from about 150 FT like a lawn dart, LOL!! The plane didn't respond to any stick inputs. I guess i learned a lesson that time too. I'll secure all my crystals in the future. It's too bad you only got 1 flight on her.

CTD