PDA

View Full Version : Truly a sad day, the passing of a great friend

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 12:39 AM
It is with a heavy heart that I pass on the news of the passing of a very dear friend of mine.

Jim Merithew, known here as flismall, lifelong AMA member #71033, passed away this afternoon after a long hard battle with cancer.

Jim was very instrumental in getting me and my son started in this hobby. He gave my son his first radio, a Hitec to put into his GWS Cub. His gracious giving heart allowed my son to solo his first plane with his very own radio.

Jim didn't post here often due to his illness. But he was on here often and read every post. He made what inputs he could, when he could. Jim is the reason I am here. He introduced me to WattFlyer. Had it not been for him I would still be floundering around grinding my planes into the dirt.

No words I say here can say how good of a man Jim was. I will miss him dearly.

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss Bill. May peace be with you and your family.

Tom

smc331
11-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Bill,

Sorry to hear of your loss - just know how much richer your life is for having known him. Prayers on the way for you and his loved ones.

luisfc1972
11-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Rip

aviatordave
11-22-2006, 02:07 AM
Jim Merithew is in our thoughts. He sounded like a great guy who made some positive influences. We hope the best for his family and friends through this hard time.

Dave

Don Sims
11-22-2006, 02:16 AM
Sorry to read this Bill.Please give his family our condolences.

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I will be sure to pass on to his wife and son your thoughts and prayers.

TLyttle
11-22-2006, 04:20 AM
Yes, we all have our mentors, and it always leaves a big hole in your life when they go... My condolences...

up_ya_go
11-22-2006, 05:21 AM
That is very sad Bill ... Though so far away, I must confess reading your post has brought a tear to my eye .... You were one who was kind enough to send me a welcome to the forum when I joined . I am very sorry mate that you are hurting so .
Take care
Ray

stinkweed007
11-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Well, I believe that such a giving and helpful person should be celebrated, not mourned.

Maybe you should design a nose-art for him.. y'know.. keep him flying!!

Plus someone had to get the hobby up in heaven... Do you think Peter is an electric or gas man??

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks again all and Stink you are absolutley right, he will be remembered in a positive way and celebrated! I do kow that Jim will be flying in heaven, which has to be electric I do believe;)

I have, based on your idea began to think of a name and design to remember him by on one of my prized aircraft! What a fitting tribute.:D

stinkweed007
11-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Ya know Bill... I do have a degree in Commercial art, as well as Graphic arts.. If ya need a hand.. or cant get an idea to come out right... just let me know..

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Ya know Bill... I do have a degree in Commercial art, as well as Graphic arts.. If ya need a hand.. or cant get an idea to come out right... just let me know..

Will do! thanks a bunch!

beglobal
11-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Very sorry for your loss... just think he is in a better place right know...

firemanbill
11-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks beglobal, I do know he is!

Welcome to Wattflyer, what a nice post for your first one!

aircruiser
11-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Very sorry to hear this Bill...it is a sad time indeed.

It is always hard to lose someone near and dear, I know from my experience with my dog snowflake how much of a heart ache it is.

Very sorry to hear.

His family and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

firemanbill
11-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks AC, the funeral was yesterday. A very hard day but we know he is in Heaven and in no more pain.