PDA

View Full Version : Got started on the P-38

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Here's the newest addition to my addiction. It's a Richmodels 52" P-38. I finally got to start on it this week and it's going together really well. I've got about 3 hours in it and the tail is glued in place, all the servos, push rods and control horns are mounted and the cowls are fitted. I've decided to build it stock with fixed gear. I'm not real crazy about the looks of a war bird with the gear down in flight but I don't think this would be very easy to hand launch and I don't want to be sliding it in on its belly either. I've never done retracts and I didn't want to drop that much extra money in it.

Here's the specs on it:

Wingspan 52"
Length 37.6"
Approx. AUW 3 1/2 lbs.
Wing area 336 1/2 sq. in.
Wing loading 27.6 ounces per sq. in.
Motors: (2) ELE EC28P-7
(2) Dynam 18 amp ESCs
(2) 3S 2100 15C Common Sense Lipos
3 amp UBEC
(2) GWS 9075 E Props
(6) SG90 servos - 2 rudders, 2 ailerons, 2 elevators
(1) Hitec HS-81MG servo for steerable nose gear
Amp draw: 16.9 amps each
Watts: 195 each
Total watts: 390 (111.4 watts per lb.)

Other than my Magpie, this is way bigger than any of my other war birds. This is also my first twin so this should be interesting.

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Looks good Tom! I'll be watching and looking forward to a report on the maiden.

Have always loved the P-38.:D

PerlAddict
11-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I'd like to go on the record and say that I am asburdly envious. :D

stinkweed007
11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
I'd like to go on the record and say that I am asburdly envious. :D
I second that....

Is she Basa, foam or both??

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks Bill. Maybe it's time to dust off the 38 you have in the attic???

Sorry Perl and stink, If it makes you feel any better, I actually have a second one new in the box waiting. It just may get repainted another color. I only say this so you'll feel sorry for me not having time to build both of them. :D :D

They are all balsa and ply with an Ultracoat type covering.

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree Tom, I've been wanting to start on it since I got it... but it is my boys Christmas present so I have to wait a bit longer...:(

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 02:45 PM
What kind is it?

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 02:50 PM
I can't recall the name right off but it is the one Hobby Lobby sells. It is smaller than yours and foam but the quality is top notch.

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah, that's a great looking plane. They did a really nice job on the details and it looks more scale too. Can't wait to see it. I'd really like to see a picture of your son's eyes when he sees it for the first time.

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah I can't wait. His birthday was early this month and I got him a DX6... You should have seen his eyes then!:D

Not as excited as when he won the Stryker at Hodges though... Nuts can tell you about his reaction to that one! He was there and witnessed it...

I honestly believe that as long as I live I will never see another young man that excited!:D

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah I can't wait. His birthday was early this month and I got him a DX6... You should have seen his eyes then!:D

Not as excited as when he won the Stryker at Hodges though... Nuts can tell you about his reaction to that one! He was there and witnessed it...

I honestly believe that as long as I live I will never see another young man that excited!:D

I don't know, I'll bet you're pretty excited to give it to him.

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't know, I'll bet you're pretty excited to give it to him.

Boy you have me pegged don't ya?!:D :D

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I think you're a lot like me. The other day when my new planes came in, my wife said to me "You're living your second childhood aren't you". I said "you mean there's a second one????

NUTS
11-22-2006, 05:24 PM

Yup, Eyes and mouth wide open, kinda like "I can't believe it, I can't believe it!"
I've been eyeballing a P38 someone has hanging up on the ceiling over at Mac's. Tempting, very tempting.

Glacier Girl
11-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Will you quit jabbering and get back to building. LOL

NUTS
11-22-2006, 05:27 PM
I found a pic of the one for sale at Mac's

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Will you quit jabbering and get back to building. LOL

I can't build! I'm at work so all I can do is jabber. I think I'll leave early to go finish it. Hopefully she'll be done this weekend.

PerlAddict
11-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Dad's really jonesing for a twin-engine plane already, and I'm pretty sure a P-38 will be his first endeavor when it comes time. We'll probably be looking at the EMI version with the 40"-ish wingspan, though. Dad's still a little nervous about Balsa after his trainer-crash fiasco the better part of a decade ago, and foam gives him a lot more peace of mind at the moment. Plus it'll be easier to get it up and done, not to mention fit in the car.

That 52" version would sure look great up in the air, though. How long were you flying before you started getting into the wood kits, Tom?

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Dad's really jonesing for a twin-engine plane already, and I'm pretty sure a P-38 will be his first endeavor when it comes time. We'll probably be looking at the EMI version with the 40"-ish wingspan, though. Dad's still a little nervous about Balsa after his trainer-crash fiasco the better part of a decade ago, and foam gives him a lot more peace of mind at the moment. Plus it'll be easier to get it up and done, not to mention fit in the car.

That 52" version would sure look great up in the air, though. How long were you flying before you started getting into the wood kits, Tom?

As far as electrics, I got my first one (PZ J3 Cub) this past march. Prior to that, I started into glo about 20 years ago and they were all balsa kits. Been out of the hobby for about the past 15 years. Dang that makes me sound old!

ForestCam
11-22-2006, 06:00 PM
So you're going to mod it for rudder control? I've heard both schools of theought from other builders on the dual elevator servos, some say you need them because the elevator will warp at speed and others say you only need one becuase the warping isn't a problem.

Unfortunatly mine is still sitting in the box in the basement where it's been since June. :(

Grasshopper
11-22-2006, 06:03 PM
So you're going to mod it for rudder control? I've heard both schools of theought from other builders on the dual elevator servos, some say you need them because the elevator will warp at speed and others say you only need one becuase the warping isn't a problem.

Unfortunatly mine is still sitting in the box in the basement where it's been since June. :(

Both my kits came with the rudders and hinges complete. They just needed glued. They must have changed the kit recently. I went with dual servos on the elevator after talking to Glacier Girl about it and after looking at it myself. I just didn't want to take any chances with this one no more weight than one servo adds.

ForestCam
11-22-2006, 06:09 PM
I wonder if they added it due to some people not using counter rotating props?

My problem is every time I get the money togeather to order everything to put it togeather something always seems to come up, well that and I'm a little skeerd to put it in the air. I'm thinking of cutting my teeth on a GWS P-38 when they come out. :D

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Yup, Eyes and mouth wide open, kinda like "I can't believe it, I can't believe it!"
I've been eyeballing a P38 someone has hanging up on the ceiling over at Mac's. Tempting, very tempting.

Funny thing is Nuts I was planning on buying that one while I was down there... that is until I won the Airliner...:D

It sure is a looker and I'm really surprised it is still there

Glacier Girl
11-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Tom, they added working rudders?????? cool.
Oh and did you see the new B25's from Nitroplanes???????

firemanbill
11-22-2006, 10:21 PM
B25's! Now you got my attention!

alienx
11-22-2006, 10:52 PM
This is cool! I am very interested to hear all about the twin set-up. I have wondered how that all comes together. Good luck!!

Grasshopper
11-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Tom, they added working rudders?????? cool.
Oh and did you see the new B25's from Nitroplanes???????

B25's! Now you got my attention!

Just stop it you two!!!!! I don't need any more planes! I need to stop buying! I think I can...I think I can...Where did you say the B-25s were?

Grasshopper
11-23-2006, 02:43 AM
This is cool! I am very interested to hear all about the twin set-up. I have wondered how that all comes together. Good luck!!

I'm still wondering myself Andy!:confused:

Glacier Girl
11-23-2006, 08:02 AM
I forgot to mention the B17 that VQ Models is getting ready to release.
One of the "Rolls Royce" of suppliers, can't wait to see the price on it.
Bankrupcy would be imminent.:eek:

You think costs are bad on a twin, think about a monster 4 banger. Ooooooh I can see it now, tx controlled turrents and guns, bomb bay doors opening and "BOMBS AWAY"
Just the thought of what you would need battery wise is just down right scary.

dmmalish
11-23-2006, 09:28 AM
what a beauty what do we figure about $1500 when completed? plane,motors,esc,servos,BATTERY'S!!!,and a good multi channel radio am i even close?? maybe $1500 would be a bargain:confused: i just finished a great planes se5 spwith camel and got about $250 into it:eek:

Military B-25 Mitchell 52 - 71" Nitro Gas Twin Engine Radio Remote Controlled ARF Plane (http://nitroplanes.com/mibmi5271nig.html)

dmmalish
11-23-2006, 09:40 AM
hi have any of you bought battery's from nitro models there lipop prices seem pretty good what is the quality? thanks

Twmaster
11-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I think you're a lot like me. The other day when my new planes came in, my wife said to me "You're living your second childhood aren't you". I said "you mean there's a second one????

Second? Dude, I'm 42 and still on my original childhood! (I guess you all can tell I'm single...)

:D

I can't recall the name right off but it is the one Hobby Lobby sells. It is smaller than yours and foam but the quality is top notch.

Flying Styro Kit.

Happy Turkey day you turkeys!

firemanbill
11-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Flying Styro Kit.

Happy Turkey day you turkeys!

I kind figured you'd remember!

Heck I can barely remember where it is in the attic!:o

pd1
11-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Grasshopper, before you get too far, the main landing gear mounts are too soft. After a few landings the gear WILL loosen up. Replace the vertical piece of wood with something hard, like plywood. You will find the 38 is fast, and doesn't like to be slowed down, it looks great in the air. I have about a dozen flights on mine, I still like it. I made a few mods,be happy to show them to you if you want?

Grasshopper
11-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks pd1. I'd love to hear about any other mods you've done. I think they've made some changes to the kits recently. The vertical piece the nose gear mounts on is heavy ply and the two main gear go into hardwood blocks. Both of the kits I received have functional rudders too.

Man there's a ton of wiring needed in this thing for 7 servos, 2 batteries & ESCs, receiver and a UBEC!

Thanks for the input.

pd1
11-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Grasshopper, In the second picture you can see my battery mod, the battery is velcro'd down and strapped in. I used 1500 mah battery packs, I recomend 2100 mah packs.

I still don't trust them on the hard wood they chose for the main gear verticals, I never had a bad landing and my gear still got loose. The third picture shows the blue stripe in the canopy, that's where my plane ballances.
If you think their hardwood will work, at least soak it in CA, you can never be too hard there.

I also used the two servos for the elevator, I'm still not impressed with inverted pull outs, I might switch to stronger servos for the elevator, when I fix my gear.

I flew the plane first with two E-flit 400 outrunners, flew OK but no real zip to it. I replaced them with two E-flite 480's, now plenty of ZIPPPP.

Two CC 25 amp ESC's, no I didn't cut the red wire.

The 38 likes to land HOT, uses a lot of runway. I might try some flaps when I start my mods, it doesn't need them if you have a large field.
Don't try to fly this in a small park, it covers ground very fast.
I flew 1 flight in a small park, I won't do that again.

If there is anything else I'll try to help.
Good luck

pd1
11-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Grasshopper, I forgot, if you're going to use spinners, get a prop adapter that has a set screw to hold on the shaft. It's much less hassle than the collet type adapter.
Also I mounted my ESC behind the motor mount, I opened up ALL the scoops in the cowl, and cut away some of the bottom of the cowl for airflow.

Grasshopper
11-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks again pd1. Now I get it on the vertical gear blocks. I thought you were talking about the bulkhead on the nose gear. I'll definitely do some reinforcing on the mains. As far as the batteries, I'll be using two 3S 2100 15C packs. I'm putting them both in the center pod so they are easier to change. I didn't want to cut out the hatches on the booms to get them in. I'm going to cut openings in the back of the rear scoops to let air through and I'm mounting the ESCs behind the motor mounts also.

Thanks again,

Tom

Grasshopper
11-24-2006, 02:51 AM
Hey pd1,

I forgot to ask, is the CG point at the recommended 76mm? Where is that measured from? The instructions are pretty bad on this point. Since the wing is tapered on the leading and trailing edge, is that measured up against the center pod or where?

Thanks again.

Tom

pd1
11-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Tom, The blue line in the canopy picture 3 in post #34 is where my 38 balances. It flys well at that position. Compare that line to the canopy structure lines,if yours is different, I'll measure mine for you.

I cut holes in the bottom of the wing for my batteries because:

1. CG was better with them there.
2. I could get at the connect wires easier at that location. It takes more time and fiddling to connect two sets of batteries,this position reduced that workload.
3. The batteries are easy to change out between flights with them there.
4. They don't show when the plane is on the ground, and the plane is too fast to see them in the air.
5. The batteries get better cooling flush with the breeze.
6. The heat from the batteries and ESC's wouldn't go into the airframe.

Cutting holes in the boom scoops.
It gets cold around here, I was afraid that the plastic scoops would get brittle and break. If air flowed through them, there would be some vibration that might hasten that process.
I diverted most of the air through the cowls and across the esc and out of the fuselage over the battery packs.
I didn't worry about the heat generated by the servos,thats the only thing still in the booms.I don't think they get very warm.

pd1
11-24-2006, 02:26 PM
How long do you estimate before your's is ready to fly?
Check both motors before first flight to make sure you have equal rpm.
And DON'T force plane off the ground. This one flies very nice, but it doesn't take kindly to unnatural encouragement. It also doesn't float in, drive it down, flair, wait for it to slow and settle in on it's own.
Good luck

Grasshopper
11-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Tom, The blue line in the canopy picture 3 in post #34 is where my 38 balances. It flys well at that position. Compare that line to the canopy structure lines,if yours is different, I'll measure mine for you.

I cut holes in the bottom of the wing for my batteries because:

1. CG was better with them there.
2. I could get at the connect wires easier at that location. It takes more time and fiddling to connect two sets of batteries,this position reduced that workload.
3. The batteries are easy to change out between flights with them there.
4. They don't show when the plane is on the ground, and the plane is too fast to see them in the air.
5. The batteries get better cooling flush with the breeze.
6. The heat from the batteries and ESC's wouldn't go into the airframe.

Cutting holes in the boom scoops.
It gets cold around here, I was afraid that the plastic scoops would get brittle and break. If air flowed through them, there would be some vibration that might hasten that process.
I diverted most of the air through the cowls and across the esc and out of the fuselage over the battery packs.
I didn't worry about the heat generated by the servos,thats the only thing still in the booms.I don't think they get very warm.

Good point on the scoops. The only thing I'm concerned about in the booms are the ESCs and since they are right behind the motors, they should have plenty of air. Thanks, that's one less thing to do.

How long do you estimate before your's is ready to fly?
Check both motors before first flight to make sure you have equal rpm.
And DON'T force plane off the ground. This one flies very nice, but it doesn't take kindly to unnatural encouragement. It also doesn't float in, drive it down, flair, wait for it to slow and settle in on it's own.
Good luck

I may get to fly it later this weekend if I get it finished up. It's been beautiful here and in the 70s but it's a little too windy for a maiden. We'll just have to wait and see what Mother Nature does. If not, it will most likely be next weekend. As far as floating in on a landing, it sounds like the rest of my warbirds only on a bigger scale. I have to almost drive my Spitfire and Stuka down too. If I don't, they just seem to drop out of the air like a bag of potatoes. Especially the Stuka.

pd1
11-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Tom, I should do a better job proof reading.
"I cut holes in the bottom of the wing for my batteries because:"
should have been "cut holes in the bottom of the Booms"...
Anyway, with the pictures I don't think there should be any confusion.
This plane flys great in the wind. I would still wait for a better day.
Good luck.

PS How's your Stuka?

Grasshopper
11-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Stuka is fine. I'm waitng for a decent day to get it out again. I made some adjustments in the throws and moved the CG forward a little.

I just powered up the P-38 for the first time a few minutes ago. For some reason only one motor runs. Everything else works fine but the left motor doesn't power up. I'm going to go over all the wires again for connections. Bummer.

Grasshopper
11-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Stuka is fine. I'm waitng for a decent day to get it out again. I made some adjustments in the throws and moved the CG forward a little.

I just powered up the P-38 for the first time a few minutes ago. For some reason only one motor runs. Everything else works fine but the left motor doesn't power up. I'm going to go over all the wires again for connections. Bummer.

Never mind. I'm A DORK! Guess it helps to have both ESCs plugged in huh? All's well in P-38 land.

pd1
11-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, at least it didn't take you long to find the problem.
You're going to love this plane.

Grasshopper
11-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Well, at least it didn't take you long to find the problem.
You're going to love this plane.

If I can ever get all the wires stuffed in the center pod. There isn't much room in there.

pd1
11-24-2006, 06:02 PM
If I can ever get all the wires stuffed in the center pod. There isn't much room in there.

Oh, Yeah, that's another reason I cut the compartment under the booms for the batteries. I never would have been able to get everything in the pod.

Grasshopper
11-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Oh, Yeah, that's another reason I cut the compartment under the booms for the batteries. I never would have been able to get everything in the pod.

I'm beginning to wonder myself. I just about had it all stuffed in there and realized the top of the nose wheel servo arm is hitting the bottom of the wing. I had to take it all out and now I need to lower the servo in the tray. Oh Joy! I think I'll leave it alone for a little while. I'm starting to get flustered and that's when things start to break.

Don Sims
11-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Yep, time to have a beer and watch some football, then get back to it!

Glacier Girl
11-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Tom, It will all fit, heck I even squeezed in the air tank and switching valve in mine.

pd1
11-24-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm beginning to wonder myself. I just about had it all stuffed in there and realized the top of the nose wheel servo arm is hitting the bottom of the wing. I had to take it all out and now I need to lower the servo in the tray. Oh Joy! I think I'll leave it alone for a little while. I'm starting to get flustered and that's when things start to break.

Tom, you got it right, take a break.

This is supposed to be fun.

I ended up packing most of my wires back in the rear of the pod,at least as many as I could.

Didn't want them to interfere with the nosegear servo travel.

The difficulty with packing and unpacking the pod is the main reason I haven't started fixing my gear yet.
Get your's flying well, might give me that little extra push to get mine flying again.

Grasshopper
11-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Tom, It will all fit, heck I even squeezed in the air tank and switching valve in mine.

I thought about you this morning when I was trying to cram 5 lbs of #@$! in a 1 lb bag. I thought "How in the heck did Brad ever fit all the retract stuff in here too?" You must have been a brain surgeon in a previous life.

Tom, you got it right, take a break.

This is supposed to be fun.

I ended up packing most of my wires back in the rear of the pod,at least as many as I could.

Didn't want them to interfere with the nosegear servo travel.

The difficulty with packing and unpacking the pod is the main reason I haven't started fixing my gear yet.
Get your's flying well, might give me that little extra push to get mine flying again.

OK, took a break and went and spent some money at the LHS. Got some noodle wire and a new Spektrum receiver. After packing the receiver in that pod, I knew there was no way I was going to take it back out to swap it in another plane. $50 later...problem solved. The noodle wire is for the double battery lead. I originally made it out of 12 ga. automotive wire but it's just too stiff to wiggle around in there.

Grasshopper
11-26-2006, 12:54 AM
All thats' left now is fitting the spinners and props and putting the scoops on the booms. I'm going to follow Brad's lead and paint the inside of the canopy gloss black. I know the real ones weren't black but they also didn't have two lipo packs and wires laying in them either. The prop shafts are a little short for the props and spinners I'm using so I'll have to mill off part of the prop hub to get the nuts on. Once the props are on, I'll take some watt meter readings, give it a final once over and she's good to go. Now I'll I need is less wind and more nerves. It was really windy today but it was in the mid 70s. Got the yard mowed again and did some Honey Dos.

firemanbill
11-26-2006, 01:00 AM
That is sweet Tom! Can't wait to hear how she flies!:D

Grasshopper
11-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks Bill! I'm anxious to see it in the air. My neighbor is going to take pics and videos. Then I'll have to figure out how to post a video. (provided it goes well).

Phoenex
11-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Tom,

She looks nice, good luck on the maiden!

Grasshopper
11-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Thanks a lot Phoenex and thanks for all your help with it!

pd1
11-26-2006, 12:37 PM
Tom, Plane looks real good.
Good luck on the test.

Grasshopper
11-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks pd1. You've been a big help too.

Glacier Girl
11-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Tom, Ditto, looks sweet.
Got the willies yet??????????

Grasshopper
11-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Tom, Ditto, looks sweet.
Got the willies yet??????????

Thanks Brad. Yes, every time I look at it I get the Willies. I got the props and spinners on it last night and set the CG. I had to add 1/2 ounce to the tail. It was pretty nose heavy and as you are aware, there is NO room to slide the 2 3S 2100 15C packs back in the canopy. All I have left is to glue the scoops on the sides of the booms and make a velcro strap for the batteries. What glue did you use for boom scoops?

Other than that, she's all ready. I set all the throws and set dual rates on the elevator, rudders and ailerons at 70% on the low side and 100% on the high. The AUW ended up a little heavier than I wanted at 4 lbs 2 oz. It's reading 195 watts per motor so that ends up 95 watts per lb. I checked the RPM today at noon and each side was running 8950 RPM (plus or minus 30 RPM) with GWS HD 9075 props. I think this calculates out to a theoretical 63.56 MPH.

Now I'm getting the willies again.

Glacier Girl
11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Tom, I just CA'ed em on. Marked where they needed to be, a little CA and bingo.

Just remember, she does not like to be horsed off the ground. She'll let you know when she's ready to fly, and make your first liftoff a long slow upward climb, just like the real ones did.
Best of luck, I'll await a report.

Grasshopper
11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks again Brad.

LOL

pd1
11-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Tom, that's how I put my scoops on too. Taped them in place and a drop of CA.
When is the big test?

ps. this one flies easier than the Stuka

Grasshopper
11-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks pd. I would hope it would fly better than the Stuka. That thing is a handfull. Hopefully I've got it ironed out a little better after changing some throws and moving the CG forward a little. It does look really good in the air though.

I haven't been able to fly for over two weeks now. It's been beautiful and in the mid 70s but really windy. Tomorrow the bottom is supposed to fall out with up to an inch of sleet, 1/4" of ice and several inches of snow on Thursday. Highs in the low 30s. That being said, I'm not sure when the big day will be. I'll be shaking enough sending it up let alone my knees knocking and shivering from the cold.

My CG appears to have come out at almost the identical spot yours is. Your scoops appear to have the small flange all the way around removed. Did they have one to begin with or did you trim them?

Tom

alienx
11-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Boy that went together quickly! Good luck on the maiden. Looking forward to the video.

Grasshopper
11-29-2006, 04:31 AM
Boy that went together quickly! Good luck on the maiden. Looking forward to the video.

Thanks Andy, If you ask my wife, it took forever. She just wants it off the kitchen table. I just finished putting the scoops on the booms and will add a battery strap and she's done. I may do a little detail painting to make the scoop intakes look a little more realistic. We'll see.:rolleyes:

Voyager2lcats
11-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Tom,

You could put on a clinic on how to finish and detail an RC model! You have some fine looking airplanes; say no more. I hope you get a warm front so you can fly that baby. I have not looked at the extended forecast here, so I am not sure what to expect this weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Oh, I am curious, are the engines counter rotating? I seem to recall Glacier Girl mentioning that it doesn't matter because it's a sweet thang! (okay, he didn't exactly say that, but it flies nicely).

Bob

Grasshopper
11-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Thanks for the compliments Bob. It's pretty easy to make ARFs look good. Most of the work is done for me. It's the guys who build kits and from scratch that have the detail talent.

Unfortunately our warm front is here right now. It's 62 degrees now and is supposed to be steadily dropping through tomorrow with a low in the mid 20s.

I decided not to go with the counter rotating props. I would have liked to use the 3 blade counter rotating because they look so cool but I wasn't sure what the amp draw would be. There aren't many 3 blades out there to choose from, let alone counter rotating. I had read in the other forum where several guys did not use counter rotating props and they said it worked fine.

I guess we'll find out as soon as the weather breaks. It's supposed to be up in the 40s this weekend so I may get to try it out. Thanks for crossing your fingers.

pd1
11-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Tom, I still have a little of the flange still on the scoops. I trimmed most of it away, but I thought that I would like some of it to hold the scoops on. As you know there is a right and left scoop, I positioned them and trimmed them to fit, that's it. They have held up nicely.

You seem to be getting colder weather than we have, weird weather.
But on average I don't think you can do this.
We'll be able to do this in 4 or 5 weeks.
This is fun with models too.

Hope the weather lets you test soon.

Grasshopper
11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Tom, I still have a little of the flange still on the scoops. I trimmed most of it away, but I thought that I would like some of it to hold the scoops on. As you know there is a right and left scoop, I positioned them and trimmed them to fit, that's it. They have held up nicely.

You seem to be getting colder weather than we have, weird weather.
But on average I don't think you can do this.
We'll be able to do this in 4 or 5 weeks.
This is fun with models too.

Hope the weather lets you test soon.

Hello pd1,

I glued the scoops on with CA last night as you and Brad suggested. I trimmed most of the flange off but left about 1/16" for the CA to adhere to.

It took me a minute to figure out what was different about the picture of the plane you attached. It looks like it's parked on a frozen lake. I hope it never gets that cold here.

pd1
11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Tom, Glad you got the scoops on ok. The picture was taken about 20 years ago. I used to be able to visit my friend that lived on the lakeshore.
Actually sometimes it feels quite warm on the ice when the sun is out and there is no wind.When it's cloudy or windy, thats another story..

Also it seems we both like the same planes, I just got an E-Flite P-47, already have the Stuka and P-38. What's next for you?
Don't say a P-40.

Grasshopper
11-29-2006, 05:07 PM
I'd really like a P-40 but I haven't seen one that I thought was very scale looking in a price range I liked. I just ordered a P-51 and a Jap Zero. I have a Spitfire that I really like to fly and a PT-19 Trainer kit in the closet. I have a Pitts Bipe and an Extra 260 due to arrive today. I've been looking at Corsairs but haven't decided if I really want one or not. I kind of like planes that aren't the norm. I'd really like a Hawker Hurricane and a Douglas Dauntless but they are rare.

pd1
11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Tom, What can I say, you have great taste.
I'll be working my own P-40 next week.
Here's a couple others.
Hurry up and fly the P-38 so this thread can get back on track.

Pt-19, Zero, and Super Corsair F2G

Grasshopper
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM
That's too weird! Great looking planes! Who's PT-19 is that? I'd love to see your P-40 too.

pd1
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Tom, The PT-19 is a scratch built, I saw a picture of one on a blog liked it and drew my own plans,two weeks start to finish.
The P-40 I drew these a while ago, got sidetracked with the Corsair
and the P-47.
I also have a start on a Macchi 202, again sidetracked.
I'd like to start on it this week,if I don't get too much work.

Grasshopper
11-30-2006, 02:13 AM
Tom, The PT-19 is a scratch built, I saw a picture of one on a blog liked it and drew my own plans,two weeks start to finish.
The P-40 I drew these a while ago, got sidetracked with the Corsair
and the P-47.
I also have a start on a Macchi 202, again sidetracked.
I'd like to start on it this week,if I don't get too much work.

What talent! I'm anxious to see the P-40 when it's done. You should do a build thread on it.

Glacier Girl
11-30-2006, 04:33 PM
I agree, very nice PD1.
P40's huh, I have the H9 on its way too.

pd1
11-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Tom, Glacier Girl, Thanks, but it's not really much talent. It's more like stubborness and being too dumb to know when to quit.
After 50 years it's finally gotten quite easy now.
I've been very lucky, my dad had a model shop when I was born. When the shop went out of bussiness, someone had to build all those planes.
I also got to work at a model factory,again someone had to build the models for testing and photos.
Oh and test fly some of the prototypes.
I also like the pictures of the work you've done, looks very nice.

Grasshopper
11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Tom, Glacier Girl, Thanks, but it's not really much talent. It's more like stubborness and being too dumb to know when to quit.
After 50 years it's finally gotten quite easy now.
I've been very lucky, my dad had a model shop when I was born. When the shop went out of bussiness, someone had to build all those planes.
I also got to work at a model factory,again someone had to build the models for testing and photos.
Oh and test fly some of the prototypes.
I also like the pictures of the work you've done, looks very nice.

I only hope that I'll get that "Dumb". Since we're totally off subject of the thread and it's now 24 degrees with sleet and freezing rain here and no P-38 maiden in sight, How do you like flying your Stuka? Funny that you didn't like the shiny green either.

And now you've made me want to pull out the PT-19 kit and start on it too! Dang you pd1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

pd1
11-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Tom, I have the same problem, there are sooo many planes I want to build. It doesn't take much to get me going in a different direction.

I've got about 30 flights on the Stuka, had to make a few changes to get rid of the sudden stall traits. It flies fine now.
The shiny green left a little bit to be desired.
Did you reduce your elevator throw enough to stop it from being, fun?

In the fall and winter we have a large paved parking area we can fly at, so I'll get to play with it a little more before I put it away.
It seems once I get the bugs out of an airplane I kind of loose enthusiasm for it.
We're having a warm spell now 60 degree, but windy.
Looks like I'll have to work tomorrow.

Grasshopper
11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
I've only got 6 flights on the Stuka. I haven't got to fly it since I reduced the throws and moved the CG forward. I would be interested to know what meausurement from the leading edge your CG ended up at.

I would assume I'll still get several good flying days in. They may be cold, but we don't typically get a lot of snow. It's turning off really crappy today. It's now 20 degrees with 25+ MPH winds. It's sleeting really heavy right now with 6" to 8" of snow predicted this afternoon and tonight. High tomorrow is 22 and and a low of 8. COME ON SPRING! Then we can deal with the tornadoes here in Tornado Alley.

pd1
11-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Tom, I'm on the third floor of my house. The Stuka is on the first, I'll measure the CG and get back to you, either tonight or tomorrow morning.
I'll post the CG in your Stuka thread, and I'll show you a couple of other things I did to make it a floater.

Grasshopper
11-30-2006, 08:47 PM
No hurry. Just looking out the window, it's not flying anytime soon.

Thanks for your help.

Grasshopper
12-01-2006, 02:43 AM
Well, it's done. Now I just have to wait for this major winter storm that's dumping sleet and snow on us to go by and warm up to maiden it. Since it's 15 degrees, dark, snowing like mad and highs not above freezing till next week, I don't think it's going to happen for a while. Supposed to have up to a total of 13" by morning with lows around 5 degrees tomorrow.

Bah Hum Bug!!!!

Glacier Girl
12-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Tom, You know what that means. If you can't fly, you build!!!!!

Crash9
12-02-2006, 05:58 AM
That 38 looks ready to go.... Nice job. Hope the weather clears up so we can get a flight report...

Grasshopper
12-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks Crash

pd1
12-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Tom, your pictures look great. I see you used the stock nosegear. Your gear must have been longer than the one they sent me. When I installed the nosegear, the plane looked more like a street rod or dragster than a plane.
I used an old gear leg I had around the house, but I was wondering if all the gear legs were as short as mine was.
Hope the weather cooperates for you,looking forward to your comments on the test flight.

Grasshopper
12-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks Paul,

All the gear legs are stock. The nose wheel leg is set at the highest position but worked just right. Maybe they changed it since mine also had functional rudders already built in too. They really should get some better quality wheels though. I had read where a lot of them were really of center and bump along as you taxi. Mine were good except the nose wheel and it was only off center by 1/16" not too bad.

Glacier Girl
12-03-2006, 08:40 PM
pd1, some of the kits came with a Bronco nose gear instead of the P38 version. Could always give Nitroplanes a holler, they do know it happened.

Well While waiting for Tom to get his in the air, Snoopy took flight in his "Super Camel". All went well and the Ace came back with a grin and a big thumbs up. Oh and no bullet holes like the last time. They are still trying to patch up "Dog House 1" from the last incident. :p

Hurry up already Tom.
I already started on the DC3 to AC47 conversion. Motors installed, one mini gun built. And you'll like this one, the mini guns will spin. I added a 250 motor and built a gearbox to slow it down. So a flick of a switch on the tx and on those low flybys, all three mini guns will be spinning. Now just have to rig up a noise maker so they can be heard too.;)

pd1
12-03-2006, 09:13 PM
pd1, some of the kits came with a Bronco nose gear instead of the P38 version. Could always give Nitroplanes a holler, they do know it happened.

Well While waiting for Tom to get his in the air, Snoopy took flight in his "Super Camel". All went well and the Ace came back with a grin and a big thumbs up. Oh and no bullet holes like the last time. They are still trying to pach up "Dog House 1" from the last incident. :p

Hurry up already Tom.
I already started on the DC3 to AC47 conversion. Motors installed, one mini gun built. And you'll like this one, the mini guns will spin. I added a 250 motor and built a gearbox to slow it down. So a flick of a switch on the tx and on those low flybys, all three mini guns will be spinning. Now just have to rig up a noise maker so they can be heard too.;)

Just a litle clean up, hope you don't mind.
On you guns, all I can say is Spooky.

Grasshopper
12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
That's just too cool Brad.

Sorry about the maiden on the P-38. Mother Nature is not being very cooperative and now I'm out of town on business all week. Hopefully this weekend but I'm not holding my breath.

ForestCam
12-04-2006, 06:19 PM
What you can do with foam wheels that are out of round is make a hub out of a small bolt & nut, chuck them up in a drill and turn them back round with some fine sandpaper. Depending on how tight they are to the hub you may have to put a drop of CA on them to keep them from slipping as you turn them.

Grasshopper
12-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Still waiting to maiden. It is at least nice enough to take a few photos.

Glacier Girl
12-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Jeeze, Tom, I'm going to have a fleet built before you get airborne, sounds like me and my big P38.
I finished the AC-47, and started on the P40, and another P38, "YIPPEE" version this time.

Grasshopper
12-20-2006, 09:01 PM
I was thinking about you this morning Brad. (Don't tell my wife). I was wondering if you've ever got the big green twin out yet. I've got another P-38 and Spitfire in boxes and a P-51, Zero and Pitts bipe on the way. Should have enough to keep me busy and broke for the winter.

LOL

Tom

What P-40 are you building?

pd1
12-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Tom, I was hoping to find you had a successfull test. Looks like you have terrible weather too. Didn't get any flying in past this weekend, maybe next Sunday.
Hope you test yours soon, end the suspense.

Grasshopper
12-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Temperature has been pretty good. It's just been windy and raining. I haven't flown for a month now.

Glacier Girl
12-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Tom, It's the Hanger 9 version P40. Had a "DUH" moment on it last night.
Installing the wing and pushed down on one of the wing bolts as I screwed it in place. POP. The blind nut popped loose. "AHHHHHHH"
There I am wing half on, one bolt spinning free and no way to access the nut. Ended up using a cutoff wheel to slowly cut the head off the bolt, of course on this one they used metal bolts instead of the plastic ones.
Dag Nab It.
The big 38 is waiting on opening day of my new field, Labor Day 07.

stinkweed007
12-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Ya'know Hopper... I have been trying to get a 38 like forever... Not many shops in Germany carry an E-38... just gas.. and you... got one just layin around collectin dust... not built.. AAAAAA!!!!! THE HUMANITY!!!!

(oh yeah... the silver one looks smashing by the way)

Grasshopper
12-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Sorry stinkweed. I'd trade it for a good P-40 :rolleyes:

Crash9
12-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Temperature has been pretty good. It's just been windy and raining. I haven't flown for a month now. I feel for you Hopper, Haven't been able to fly for almost a month now myself and the weather here's been good for it so that even makes it worst. Been moving my biz to a bigger building past 3 weeks and I'm ready for some flight time.....:rolleyes: Nice outside pics of your 38, damn that thing looks good!!!

stinkweed007
12-22-2006, 08:36 AM
how about 2 never used RTF transmitters and some dead batteries?? ;P

Grasshopper
12-22-2006, 04:06 PM
I feel for you Hopper, Haven't been able to fly for almost a month now myself and the weather here's been good for it so that even makes it worst. Been moving my biz to a bigger building past 3 weeks and I'm ready for some flight time.....:rolleyes: Nice outside pics of your 38, damn that thing looks good!!!

Thanks for the kind words Crash. Maybe we'll get to fly when summer gets here.

how about 2 never used RTF transmitters and some dead batteries?? ;P

Uhhh......let's see........hmmmmmmm???????:confused:

stinkweed007
12-22-2006, 07:06 PM
aaaawww... c'mooon