PDA

View Full Version : Other site

E-Challenged
09-18-2005, 04:35 PM
E-Zone is a goldmine of information on all aspects of e-flying plus other types of R/C modelling. There is much info there on GWS foamy mods*, conversion of Guillows kits, new Dare and Dumas built-up scale model kits as well as batteries, chargers, power systems and what works with what.

*Look in E-Zones Vendor, GWS section for tons of how-to info on GWS foamy mods.

E-Zone info has helped thousands of modelers get a successful start and to progress steadily in e-flying as new hardware , model kits and techniques become available.:)

Mike Parsons
09-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the tip ;)

Turbojoe
09-23-2005, 02:51 AM
Sure RC Groups (E-Zone) is great to read. If you post there make certain you don't disagree with a moderator (God) or heaven forbid say the word "crap"!:eek: :mad:

I hope for nothing but total success for Wattflyer. I'm sure there will be a LOT of RC Groups converts in the near future.

Joe

Mike Parsons
09-23-2005, 03:37 AM
Glad your here Joe :)

Turbojoe
09-23-2005, 03:49 AM
Thanks Mike. I'll be trying to make some hopefully worthwhile contributions in the near future. Too busy building right now.;)

Joe

admin
09-23-2005, 04:58 AM
Welcome aboard Joe!

WattFlyer has a VERY different style, moderation, purpose and mission from RCG. While the RCG repository of information is 8 years of posting, alot of the history is "dated" already as new technology such as brushless/lipos renders a great deal of historic information relatively useless. That is not to knock RCG in any way as it is merely a function of time and technology moving forward. They have 4 million posts in the last 8 years but today how many that talk about nicads are relevant for example in 2005?

WattFlyer does not have any banners here or advertisers to answer to. It also has no "warning systems" like RCG. I could install that same system here in 4 minutes but didn't feel that it fosters a fun atmosphere. This hobby should ultimately be about having fun. This is MOST important.

The philosophies are vastly different as are the purpose each exists. WattFlyer does only eflight while RCG does gas/glow/cars/boats just as rcu does. Nothing wrong with that for those who don't mind the broadness. I felt though that the need for a site ONLY for eflight was missing online. A place where dial up users can surf WattFlyer without getting slowed down by banner ads and without politics was also needed in this hobby. Information needs to be free and it is my hope that WattFlyer will play a role in this for those who wish to use the platform here.

It takes a lot of work to run these sites. I've been doing it full time for 3 years giving it 1000% of may dedication and attention. For the owner of RCG it is a side business apart from his regular full time job in software development. It's amazing what he's done considering that fact.

So WattFlyer is now an alternative to RCG and even my own RCU for electric powered flight enthusiasts. A very different culture, philosophy and mission are happening here. If it is the right thing for the modelers then they will come as they learn about the differences.

Ultimately it is the members who make up the community and not the software or loyalty to Jim Bourke, RCG, RCU or even me for that matter. All I can do is provide a platform on the web (which BTW anyone can have for 200 bux and a bunch of their time). Then most importantly is guiding the community in a direction that they wish to be guided in with the help of both members and moderators.

zappedalaskan
09-24-2005, 08:58 PM
I agree Marc.. I fly glow powered heli's, Race a $1,000 "unlimited MT" Truggy and fly a large scale Beaver float plane (gas) I like electrics a lot, I have a couple of park flyers and a few E-heli's. The thing is though, is that I just plain like it here. As a heli pilot, I have been a member of runryder for a long time. Everyone is a critic, you ask a question needing help and all they want to do is flame on your equipment. I was very happy when you opened up RCU, which is by far the best all around hobby forum and marketplace. Now you have gone and opened up wattflyer and I like it here so much that I hardly even go to RCU, unless I have a nitro or gas question that I need help with. This site is like a haven by comparison. Everyone is friendly and always happy to talk about wattever. I have to say thank you kindly for making these sites work and work well. All of your moderators are very helpful and a great bunch of people. I am proud to be a member. Keep up the great work Marc, and thank you for all your effort.
Regards,
Jay Rimel

admin
09-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Jay,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I really appreciate them and I know the moderators here do too as they invest alot of themselves and their time into this site.

Additionally all the members here on WF deserve a pat on the back because with each new member to the site everyone gains what they may have to offer in terms of knowledge or otherwise.

Every member is also ultimately the driver of any continued growth of WattFlyer.com by letting fellow modelers know about this site and how it is different from all that have come before in our particular niche industry.

It is my hope that the atmosphere of fun and enjoyment permeates throughout WattFlyer without any of the other "baggage" that has been mentioned regarding other sites.

Marc

marc

HoverBovver
09-25-2005, 11:07 PM
This is all great for us. Thanks Marc.

But a question......who's ultimately paying for the platform/bandwidth and your time?
You say you will never run ads but surely in the future when I'm sure you will have a massive membership you will want or need to have this site at least pay for its upkeep.

admin
09-26-2005, 04:20 AM
This is all great for us. Thanks Marc.

But a question......who's ultimately paying for the platform/bandwidth and your time?
You say you will never run ads but surely in the future when I'm sure you will have a massive membership you will want or need to have this site at least pay for its upkeep.

Hi. The time is coming out of my personal time each day. I work a little bit more than I used to and since I'm on all day anyway it is easy for me to check in all the time. When it comes to coding I enjoy doing it and I'm a night owl so I just get it done in the late hours or whenever I need to really.

As far as hardware and bandwidth my partner at RCU (michael) and I discussed this website at length that I wanted to create and we both agreed that RCU would support it fully as it grows without the need for mandatory banner ads all over the place.

There actually is no "business model" for wattflyer other than to serve the eflight community. That is the sole focus and mission right now. I'm sure over time something good will come back out of it and whether that is measured in dollars or not doesn't really matter. Put something good out there and something good always comes back somewhere in your life.

marc

timocharis
09-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Weirdly, I think it will probably work out somehow. Good for you!

Dave North

HoverBovver
09-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Yep....I agree.
Its certainly good for e-flight and the membership here. Hope it works out great for you too Marc.

termite
10-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks for havin' us

Randy
Dynamo Electrics

Mike Parsons
10-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Good to see you hanging around these parts Randy and thanks for joining us. Keep up the good work.

-Mike

jrb
10-06-2005, 09:39 PM
I like the speed w/o the overhead of banners (etc.); also being able to search (most of the time) w/o being logged in.

Their E-Flight FAQs & 4x10^6+ posts are a graet source; even the ones about NiCds! Its also great to be able point folks to places where the same things have been talked about dozens of times.

Donít really see a down side there, and a real need here? Canít really speak to the ďoverĒ moderation issue; family friendly is very nice.

But, like some others Iím sure, I feel a little ďdirtyĒ visiting here; could be the hours spent and knowledge gain over there during the past 6 years and 4,966 posts. Not sure how regular Iíll be here?

Jim

Mike Wizynajtys
10-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Ya, I kind of feel like I'm backstabbing being here. After all, those guys over there at RCG have been giving me help and advice for a very long time.

I don't know if I can really become a regular over here either.

Wiz

Mike Parsons
10-11-2005, 09:59 PM
I am still perplexed by those that feel that visiting, contributing and helping other members outside of a particular forum is like cheating.

I am a member of a flying club (The Drones) that has given me more than I have ever contributed. I have learned sooo much from the guys that fly there and or used to fly there about setting up airplanes, how to fly a maneuver and even answering silly mundane questions about IC (before we were all electric). I never once felt guilty (and still don't) about visiting another field, helping members there with questions about electrics and passing on the knowledge that I have in this small brain of mine about flight in general.

Wattflyer is no different IMO. I give and take where I can, when I can. That means here, there or elsewhere. Unless you are being paid, you shouldn't feel guilty or dirty and you aren't backstabbing or cheating. You are enjoying what this hobby has to offer within it's online forums and gaining and giving knowledge to other members. As that is what it is all about and that is why I try to be omnipresent on the Online forums...to help people, share a laugh and learn from others. So far the success of that has been amazing for me personally.

My 2 yen.

-Mike

Mike Wizynajtys
10-11-2005, 10:09 PM
I suppose that's true, Mike. Still, when I go out for a regular flying session (not an event) at a local club other than mine I always get the same feeling. I guess I'm more loyal than I thought I was. I think I had better work on that a little. :)

Wiz

PS A fella in my club says "The older I get, the better I was". It's kind of similar to your saying.

Mike Parsons
10-12-2005, 03:19 AM
I suppose that's true, Mike. Still, when I go out for a regular flying session (not an event) at a local club other than mine I always get the same feeling. I guess I'm more loyal than I thought I was. I think I had better work on that a little. :)

Wiz

PS A fella in my club says "The older I get, the better I was". It's kind of similar to your saying.

Wiz,
Loyalty is certainly not a bad thing as long as it doesn't produce tunnel vision and then you limit yourself and a good thing can pass by too easily.
As usual, I have a story :D : I love everything JR and used to refuse anything but JR. One day I found myself to just about blow my budget on a conversion and only needed one more JR 8411 to finish it off. Decided to stick to my guns and purchase within the budget and discovered Hitec digitals. Just as good an cheaper. I still buy JR when possible, but I know there are quality items out there that wont break the bank :)

I listen to country quite a bit (dont stone me as I listen to a lot of different music) and one of my favorite songs is by Toby Keith "As good as I once was". The full lyric is "I aint as good as I once was
but I'm as good once as i ever was"
:D
-Mike

admin
10-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Ask yourself who are you loyal to? The site owners? The members who have given you information? If all those posters came here and posted would you feel as if you were breaching loyalty? I'm curious where the allegieance feelings are directed towards.

I learned a couple years ago that there is actually not a lot of loyalty online. RCU dropped the ball when they converted to the new site a couple years ago and it took months to fix all the bugs and screw ups we made. We lost at least 20%-30% of our members during that period if not more. So much for loyalty, huh. In the end when we fixed everthing and they did come back but it wasn't out of loyalty. It was only because we provided a valuable service and they voted with their clicks which were definitely not loyalty driven. It was a big eye opener for me.

It was at that time I learned you either provide what the people want or they will go elsewhere. Loyalty for most is pushed aside just so they can get the information they want and enjoy getting it. Wherever that equation is maximized seems to be where people click in my experience.

There are exceptions of course to all this I understand but the phenomena is nonetheless interesting.

Mike Parsons
10-12-2005, 03:42 AM
It was only because we provided a valuable service and they voted with their clicks which were definitely not loyalty driven.
Exactly! I think doctors call it the "What have you done for me lately" Syndrome :D.

-Mike

Mike Wizynajtys
10-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, I'm content to spend some of my on line time here. I think for now I'll avoid the RCG/Watt Flyer comaprison threads. All that seems to accomplish is making people choose sides. That's not the kind of thing I want to continue.

Thanks for the nice RC forum, Mark!....and thanks for spending your time being a moderator, Mike.

Cheers

Wiz

admin
10-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Wiz,

good strategy.

We actually don't want people to pick "sides" either here. WattFlyer is not a giant commercial venture so there is no reason to try and make anyone pick a side. It exists solely to do things a different way, give people a choice and at the end of the day people may use one forum, two forums or a dozen to get whatever they are looking for.

RC Universe still has full blown electric forums for example. I don't care if people use RCU's electric forums, RCG's or WattFlyers (or all 3). I do want people to have all those choices so they can pick and choose to visit one or several on any given day. Every forum has a different atmosphere, philosophy, look, feel, etc and having choices is instrumental in helping people get just what they might be looking for.

Mike Parsons
10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
and thanks for spending your time being a moderator, Mike.

Cheers

Wiz
Thanks for the thanks Wiz. I do it for you guys. :)

-Mike

KenS
10-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Well ummm the "other" site is down.
I always read both forums. sometimes you get a nice contrast in posts to help you make decisions.

Turbojoe
10-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeah, thanks for the way you handled our little "spat" Mike P. That's the way I like to be moderated although this time I probably DESERVED to be stood in the corner for a while. ;) Mike W. and I have patched things up and I think everything is cool now.

Joe

Blaze.45
10-13-2005, 04:59 AM
Yeah, it is down.

And I agree with his comment. Wattflyer has some very helpful contrasting opinions of certain products that have directly influenced my purchases. And I am happy with every one of them... so far.

Mike Parsons
10-13-2005, 05:05 AM
Glad to hear all is well Joe :)

-Mike

Mike Wizynajtys
10-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah, thanks for the way you handled our little "spat" Mike P. That's the way I like to be moderated although this time I probably DESERVED to be stood in the corner for a while. ;) Mike W. and I have patched things up and I think everything is cool now.

Joe

Yep, that Mike Parsons is a prince of a moderator. And as far as I'm concerned, everything is definitely cool now.

Wiz

Mike Parsons
10-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Alright, you guys are making be blush :o

I appreciate you guys as well. :)

Jspencer
10-31-2005, 04:45 AM
I'm sure there will be a LOT of RC Groups converts in the near future.

I just found this site and I plan on coming here often.:)

flyranger
10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Marc, many thanks for your efforts! I was a glow flyer 15 years ago and now completely successful electric pilot on two aircraft thanks to the info here (and all the other posters). I love your format and hope you can continue this service for a long time. Being able to ask questions about "what works with what?" and "where can I find it?" has made my success possible. Once again, Many thanks!!!

Turbojoe
10-31-2005, 12:08 PM
I just found this site and I plan on coming here often.:)

Spencer,

Just keep in mind the things that got you permanently banned from RC Groups. Don't continue them here and everything will be fine.
;)

Joe

Mike Parsons
10-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Spencer,

Just keep in mind the things that got you permanently banned from RC Groups. Don't continue them here and everything will be fine.
;)

Joe
Exactly :)

Don Sims
11-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Spencer,

;)

Joe

Yup, what Joe and Mike said!!

Jspencer
11-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Spencer,

(If you only knew the truth.)

I still liek Rcgroups and don't plan on leaving their anytime soon. ;)

mauilvr
11-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Most if not all of us already do know the "truth". :rolleyes:
You fool no one except yourself.

Don't cause these guys as much grief as you've caused the mods at RCG or you'll lose your privileges here also.

Turbojoe
11-01-2005, 09:47 PM
I see he just changed his name to Spencer77 on RCG. :rolleyes:

Joe

NCC-1701
11-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I see he just changed his name to Spencer77 on RCG. :rolleyes:

Joe

And he got banned again. Big Surprise.

Rob

Turbojoe
11-02-2005, 10:38 PM
And he got banned again. Big Surprise.

Rob

Too funny! I think that's a record. Even for him. :D

Joe

admin
11-03-2005, 05:57 AM
Wow..after 8 years rcg just copied Wattflyer's for sale/wanted structure that we had in place since opening! They broke things up wattflyer style. It appears somebody is watching the little engine that could here closely!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/announcement.php?f=257

mauilvr
11-03-2005, 06:27 AM
Wow..after 8 years rcg just copied Wattflyer's for sale/wanted structure that we had in place since opening!Copied it? :p No, they didn't.

What they did do is to take the busiest FS forum they had and break it into 4 forums, so that items didn't scroll off the front page so quick. This was the sole criteria for making the change.

Before this change items on the front page would be on page 3 within hours. Now all 4 forums scroll a lot more evenly.

The format of the Watt Flyer F/S forums was never discussed. ;)

Barfing Pumpkin
11-04-2005, 08:15 PM
I see he just changed his name to Spencer77 on RCG. :rolleyes: Joe

I kind of like to see Spencer post something differnt, with the wild spelling and stuff. But, I don't want to see him get banned from here.. IF he acts up I might have to barf on his parade!! :D

Someone said hes really an old person, 77 years old. I don't think so.

Barf

Barfing Pumpkin
11-05-2005, 07:30 PM
I still liek Rcgroups.... ;)

They think they "know" but haven't been able to "No".

Barf

KenS
11-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Well the other site may have more users and more post and a wealth of info but after today all I will do is read it from time to time or get ideas from it.
I am done posting there for sure.
I wanted to sell my Hacker Zoom Zoom 4D ARF, so I posted it for sale and got a buyer within a few hours..so I closed the thread.
3 days later and still no payment I gave up on them and reposted it. Guess what, yup you got it, a 1pt warning and the thread deleted for over advertising...just to funny..and when they issue a warning via PM you can't even respond to it, you have to go post about the warning in a public area...yah great idea..NOT

gouch
11-10-2005, 03:48 PM
If there is one thing they NEED to do, is get rid of the warning points. It does nothing BUT insult people. Your case is incredible, and only proves the point. Jim seems like a nice enough guy, but he seems adament that it's a good thing to have, I just can't work that one out.

Cheers
Paul

Mike Wizynajtys
11-10-2005, 03:57 PM
The warning point system isn't the problem, it's the application of it that is causing the problem. I think giving warning points is fine, just back it up with good moderation and not mindless hit and run type moderation like is being done over there right now.

Wiz

gouch
11-10-2005, 04:44 PM
The warning point system isn't the problem, it's the application of it that is causing the problem.

Well, remove the points system until it is sorted out. And here is the problem, this has been going on for a long time now, how long?, oh I'd say as long as the warning system has been in place.

Take Kens "dillema" for a minute. He has been made to feel like he has done something wrong. Has he? Why didn't whoever hit him with the points PM him and treat him like a HUMAN. He would have explained his case and allowed to repost on his merry way, but instead, and I agree with what you say, he has been a victim of a hit and run.

Jim needs to remove the points system before there will be nobody there to give points to.

That last comment sounds pretty doomsdayish dosen't it?, won't happen eh? Far too many users for that to happen.

Now ask Ken, say, 2 weeks ago (go back in time) what he thought what the points system meant to him. I reckon he would have just shrugged his shoulders and said, what am I to worry about, I don't offend anyone, I'm no troll, I don't post offensive material, I'm just a modeller doing my thing. Go forward to today, what do we have, Ken is here saying he is "over" posting there from now on. Now repeat that for the next couple of years and see how busy the place is. I know one point dosen't get you banned etc, but it's the PRINCIPLE that is annoying the good users there. And besides, they may as well given Ken 10 points, or a thousand points, it dosen't matter now does it?........

The trolls don't give two hoots about points, they just start a new account and do it all again. It's almost like a game for the cronically bored. So at the end of the day, the only ones who ARE offended by being treated like children are guys like Ken.

Ken, I only used you as an example, I'm not suggesting you are, or are not any of the above :)

Cheers
Paul

Edit: just to clarify, this is the ONLY issue I have over there, and I really think it's slowly ruining a great site. There are a lot of long termers that I have noticed are slowly dissapearing, those sorts of people MAKE a site and give it a "base".

Mike Wizynajtys
11-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Again, it's just an example of poor moderation. The point system, or a variation of it could work very well. But, as it is the moderators have been turned into point assigning robots. Automating the moderation process has not been a good thing. It's too cold and unreasonable. People don't like that....and I don't blame them.

Wiz

easytiger
11-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Again, it's just an example of poor moderation. The point system, or a variation of it could work very well. But, as it is the moderators have been turned into point assigning robots. Automating the moderation process has not been a good thing. It's too cold and unreasonable. People don't like that....and I don't blame them.

Wiz

There IS nobody moderating. You report, the person gets a warning. NOBODY is watching at all.

easytiger
11-13-2005, 02:47 PM
If there is one thing they NEED to do, is get rid of the warning points. It does nothing BUT insult people. Your case is incredible, and only proves the point. Jim seems like a nice enough guy, but he seems adament that it's a good thing to have, I just can't work that one out.

Cheers
Paul
Yup. And he is WRONG.
And the points system has always been used just as some petty vengeance thing. I mean, I got four points from some posts from four months ago. That's like a dozen points from one thread alone...you know which thread, Gouch, it was pretty funny...but for some <edited for Ad Hominem attack> to sit there and file through my posts for hours on end, pressing the report button...how pathetic is that?
And the politics filters out into the other forums, too. Lots of button-pushing by those who disagree with the politics of others.
And here's another thing? What's with the GUNS?
Family-freindly? Talk about a double standard! Can't say the word "fugly" but you can talk about shooting people all you want...

Mike Wizynajtys
11-14-2005, 12:37 PM
There IS nobody moderating. You report, the person gets a warning. NOBODY is watching at all.

Is that a fact? I think I'll have to go as Jim if that's how it works

gouch
11-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I know the thread you speak of. It did get pretty nasty though...

Don't talk to me about gunthreads :rolleyes:

I sarcastically mentioned that they warned a thread By Ron van summersomething (sory Ron?, forgot your last name!) and that they probably removed it to make way for more gun talk: Didn't that start something!! I sorted out the 'tiff' with the one I had "discussions" with, but I still stand by my opinion. Note, a "thought" or an "opinion" is NOT a demand :rolleyes:

And the silly thing is, I'm not anti gun as such, it was the hypocrocy that I and others see that is funny. It is going to be pretty hard not to have a system that the whole world agrees on, as different countries have different levels of acceptability.

Actually, to be fair, does Jim actually allow discussions of shooting people?
I know they love a good gun chat, but I would be (or maybe not) surprised if they let it get to shooting people?

I'm all for a "mature" site. Not porn links and filthy language, and crap like that, just "normal" talk. Kids old enough to use computers nowdays are generally mature enough to hear the odd mild swear word and the like.

Maybe it would be handy to have an age range next to their name. That way you could word your reply to suit the person. People could bluff age of course, but sometimes you see a post by some kid that sounds a little "silly", and the next thing a heap of older experienced guys heap on him for being so stupid, but may not have done so if they knew he was a young person. I know I react differently if I'm talking to a junior as oposed to a "grown up" Not in a condesending way of course, but you give them some slack......sometimes :D

I think the main issue Jim has with "offensive" stuff is (apart from him being fairly conservative from what i gather) that I think it affects his getting hits from search engines with filters, thus reducing new traffic, which in the end affects the bottom line. I can see the point in this if it is true, and I'm not saying there is an answer, but I think it plays a part in all of this.

The point system, or a variation of it could work very well

Mike, I guess we still disagree. :) See the edited post by easytiger:

<edited for Ad Hominem attack> Note: I didn't write anything naughty here, I'm just pasting in the mods edit job on easytigers thread :D

That is how you do it. The offensive remark was removed, mods did their job. Filtered search engines are kept happy? (a guess?)
If it happens too often, send them a PM, if it keeps going, do something about it.
But treating people like naughty kids with the stupid points system is doing no good.

Oh, and on another topic, allowing users to have multiple accounts can never be a good thing....can it?

I have discussed all these topics over there, and i'm not bashing, but all I really saw in those threads, was the "if you don't like it, leave" type remarks.

I agree that it can be a vengence thing too. I see some warnings that wouldn't have been given if it was written from a different person, for sure. No one would ever admit to it, but blind freddy sees it. You also seem to be able to insult someone with some clever wording, but say the same thing in a simple way, and you will cop it.

King of the hill got a warning for lying to Jim about a photo of a squirrel he posted :confused: Now that is just plain silly. He was frustrated by others giving it to him in a sly way, he lost it and went on a posting rampage. The other users gave it to him in a technical way, (including some mods) so without all the crap, he gave it back to them, and copped it. They got nothing for revving the big fella up. Most of us write silly things when in a bad mood, and it was way out of his character, but he copped it big time.

Cheers
Paul, who knows all too well, ANYONE can read this....I got nothing to hide. :)

P.S Easytiger, I don't know, but I reckon someone simply made sure you stayed on "holidays" To keep it consistent, the same person handed out points to the others in that thread. I gotta say, you do know how to get under peoples skin when you want!

easytiger
11-14-2005, 03:03 PM
"I know the thread you speak of. It did get pretty nasty though..."
Oh, come on! Only to those Linmings who are too thick to see that it was pure trolling...I mean, it was WAY over the top...YOU understood it...

"Don't talk to me about gunthreads :rolleyes:

I sarcastically mentioned that they warned a thread By Ron van summersomething (sory Ron?, forgot your last name!) and that they probably removed it to make way for more gun talk: Didn't that start something!! I sorted out the 'tiff' with the one I had "discussions" with, but I still stand by my opinion. Note, a "thought" or an "opinion" is NOT a demand :rolleyes:

And the silly thing is, I'm not anti gun as such, it was the hypocrocy that I and others see that is funny. It is going to be pretty hard not to have a system that the whole world agrees on, as different countries have different levels of acceptability.

Actually, to be fair, does Jim actually allow discussions of shooting people?"

Absolutely. I read that thread about "why criminals hate gun owners" and I was shocked. All this "it was a good shoot" stuff, which is pretty repulsive to an awful lot of people.

"I know they love a good gun chat, but I would be (or maybe not) surprised if they let it get to shooting people?"

All the time. Talk about shooting people.
I own guns. But I'm not a gun nut. And there are plenty of flat-out gun nuts over there. Sorry, but "gun nut" IS the proper term. And they seem to get a free pass to say whatever they want. And to a lot of people, GUNS are certainly NOT "family friendly" in any way. I certainly do NOT want MY kid reading about "penetration to stop an intruder in one shot..."
It reminds me of the Peter Weir(an Australian, like you!) film "Witness", in which the Amish boy finds Lt. Book's revolver in a drawer, and is discovered playing with it by his Grandfather, who says, with simple truth:
"That is a gun of the hand, Samuel. Its purpose is only to take life."
And that's how a lot of people see it. Guns are NOT family friendly. Yet there is a double standard about it on RcGroups.

"I'm all for a "mature" site. Not porn links and filthy language, and crap like that, just "normal" talk. Kids old enough to use computers nowdays are generally mature enough to hear the odd mild swear word and the like."

Standards change. I mean, things like "BS" and "fugly" should not merit punishment. Other words, well, that's another story!

"Maybe it would be handy to have an age range next to their name. That way you could word your reply to suit the person. People could bluff age of course, but sometimes you see a post by some kid that sounds a little "silly", and the next thing a heap of older experienced guys heap on him for being so stupid, but may not have done so if they knew he was a young person. I know I react differently if I'm talking to a junior as oposed to a "grown up" Not in a condesending way of course, but you give them some slack......sometimes :D"

That's an idea....

"I think the main issue Jim has with "offensive" stuff is (apart from him being fairly conservative from what i gather)"

Positively. Conservatives get treated quite differently from "liberals". I put "liberals" in quotes, as it now means "anyone who does not agree" and it's something of a perjorative. How long until it is added to the list of bad words on RCgroups?

"that I think it affects his getting hits from search engines with filters, thus reducing new traffic, which in the end affects the bottom line. I can see the point in this if it is true, and I'm not saying there is an answer, but I think it plays a part in all of this. "

Could be...but what does that matter? After all, it's a "community", it's all about modellers helping modellers, I'm sure money and commerece NEVER factor into anything over there!

"Mike, I guess we still disagree. :) See the edited post by easytiger:

Note: I didn't write anything naughty here, I'm just pasting in the mods edit job on easytigers thread :D

That is how you do it. The offensive remark was removed, mods did their job. Filtered search engines are kept happy? (a guess?)
If it happens too often, send them a PM, if it keeps going, do something about it.
But treating people like naughty kids with the stupid points system is doing no good."

Especailly when nobody is actually watching the system, when there are no moderators, and when people just USE the points system to silence those they don't like...

"Oh, and on another topic, allowing users to have multiple accounts can never be a good thing....can it?"

Never really thought about it. Can't think of a reason WHY someone would do it, can't think of a reason why it should be a problem for anyone, either. If someone is banned and keeps registering under other names, well...they are going to do what they are going to do.

"I have discussed all these topics over there, and i'm not bashing, but all I really saw in those threads, was the "if you don't like it, leave" type remarks."

There have been a very consistent "it's Jim's site, he can do what he want, love it or lump it, don't like it...LEAVE!" attitude, like you say. Frankly, I would NEVER have posted over there in the first place several years ago if the site was then what it is now. No WAY. My content is my contribution, and I would NOT have contributed that to a site with the points system, or the faux family friendly facade that is there now. No WAY. So, Jim changed the rules, and people have a right to complain.

"I agree that it can be a vengence thing too. I see some warnings that wouldn't have been given if it was written from a different person, for sure. No one would ever admit to it, but blind freddy sees it. You also seem to be able to insult someone with some clever wording, but say the same thing in a simple way, and you will cop it.

King of the hill got a warning for lying to Jim about a photo of a squirrel he posted :confused: Now that is just plain silly. He was frustrated by others giving it to him in a sly way, he lost it and went on a posting rampage. The other users gave it to him in a technical way, (including some mods) so without all the crap, he gave it back to them, and copped it. They got nothing for revving the big fella up. Most of us write silly things when in a bad mood, and it was way out of his character, but he copped it big time."

It's STUPID. Here you have a guy, KOTH, who is a key contributor, and he gets zapped by who? People who contribute NOTHING.

"Cheers
Paul, who knows all too well, ANYONE can read this....I got nothing to hide. :)

P.S Easytiger, I don't know, but I reckon someone simply made sure you stayed on "holidays" "

Yup. I checked in, and I have all these new warnings. For stuff from four or more months ago. For a thread I already got a dozen warnings for. It's pathetic. I could really care less about the suspension, I have zero desire to participate under the current system/regime, but the fact that people have nothing better to do than filter through all my old posts is quite illustrative of where the RCG "head" is at. That happened before, too...the GWS drones spent all this time sorting through all my old posts looking for ammunition to use against me when I pointed out some things they did not like.

"To keep it consistent, the same person handed out points to the others in that thread. "

No, that was me! It was an experiment...I checked out the threads I was warned for, saw that there were some pretty vicious attacks AGAINST me, too, and reported THEM, just to see what would happen. Then I reported some posts that really did not matter at all...seems like ALL got automatic warnings, that NOBODY looked at them at all, that there is NO moderation, and that you can get anybody you want "warned" for anything at all. Interesting!

"I gotta say, you do know how to get under peoples skin when you want!"

Who, ME?

gouch
11-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Who, ME?

All the time. Talk about shooting people

Wow, I didn't check that thread out anyway, but that is surprising/dissapointing.

Hey ET, can you get used to the Quote button? ;) Simple aussies like me are having a hard time here! esp after a few glasses !!

It actually works well here. You don't get that box, it just throws the quote "code" in the text box and you can paste in between them.

Cheers
Paul

easytiger
11-15-2005, 02:16 PM

Wow, I didn't check that thread out anyway, but that is surprising/dissapointing.

Hey ET, can you get used to the Quote button? ;) Simple aussies like me are having a hard time here! esp after a few glasses !!

It actually works well here. You don't get that box, it just throws the quote "code" in the text box and you can paste in between them.

Cheers
Paul

Where IS the Quote button?

It made me sick to read all these would-be Rambos spewing:
"It was a good shoot..."
Which is sort of like
"Terminate with extreme prejudice..."
one of those phrases used by poseurs only...we are talking about a human LIFE. I'm not anti-gun, I own guns, but to hear all these dweebs talking about "home defense" and using phrases like "tactical training" and hearing them go on about how they prefer the Ruger over the Glock because it won't hang up on their clothing while executing quick draw maneuvers when being attacked by "ghetto goblins"....weelll...it's not just humorous, it's downright offensive.
And most certainly not "family friendly."

easytiger
11-15-2005, 02:23 PM

Cheers
Paul

It made me sick to read all these would-be Rambos spewing:
"It was a good shoot..."
Which is sort of like
"Terminate with extreme prejudice..."
one of those phrases used by poseurs only...we are talking about a human LIFE. I'm not anti-gun, I own guns, but to hear all these dweebs talking about "home defense" and using phrases like "tactical training" and hearing them go on about how they prefer the Ruger over the Glock because it won't hang up on their clothing while executing quick draw maneuvers when being attacked by "ghetto goblins"....weelll...it's not just humorous, it's downright offensive.
And most certainly not "family friendly."

Jspencer
11-16-2005, 01:21 AM
I'm sure there will be a LOT of RC Groups converts in the near future.

HOWDY BOYS !.:)

easytiger
11-16-2005, 01:24 AM
As for me, I am signing up for the Spencer J Fan Club.
Anybody who gets those guys so riled up, sanctimonous, and frothy is AOK by me!

Turbojoe
11-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Oh Jesus. He's back. :mad: Put me in the "everyone else" category. Spencer, keep in mind there is NO reason to be the arrogant little trouble maker you were at RC Groups while you are here. You single handedly turned that forum into a festering cesspool of nothingness. And that was BEFORE the moderators tried their hand at screwing things up even more. Never have I seen any one person bring more unrest and irritation to a public forum. If you have even a shred of human decency you'll go back to RCGroups and leave us here in peace.

Joe

easytiger
11-16-2005, 01:48 AM
See what I mean?
Spencer J cracks me up. I think Leyden Jars will supersede lemons as the power source of the future.

easytiger
11-16-2005, 01:49 AM
"You single handedly turned that forum into a festering cesspool of nothingness."

He must be a VERY powerful individual to do that! Suggest you bow down to his powers, life will be easier.

mauilvr
11-16-2005, 02:10 AM
It's amazing how the same people go to a Radio Control modelers forum and the most fascinating thing they can find to discuss......is being a PIA. It doesn't matter which forum it is - all they want to do is troll.

How sad for you.

Mike Parsons
11-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Spencer,
You are more than welcome here. However and I am sure you have heard this before..... Make your posts productive and constructive to the forums and members. Share and learn. But the actions that recieved you a banning at Rcgroups will not be tolerated here either and should it begin, it will gain you the same status here at Wattflyer.

Remember, you get out what you put in. It doesnt have to be a repeat of RCG, however that is purely up to you.

-Mike

Barfing Pumpkin
11-17-2005, 02:03 AM
Spencer:

Please read http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22870&postcount=64

Would like to see more of you on this site. Please try to keep somewhere within the limits. Not COMPLETELY, otherwise you would'nt be Spencer any more. But, I think you have something to offer, just can't do that if you get kicked off.

Barf

gouch
11-17-2005, 12:15 PM

You found it :D

easytiger
11-17-2005, 06:42 PM
But how do you quote a single line?

Mike Wizynajtys
11-17-2005, 07:08 PM

You mean like above, or do you want to take out a single line from a bunch of text? If it's the latter you'll have to quote the whole thing and cut out the parts you don't want. If you want to do multiple single line quotes then adding the bracketed "quote /quote" text yourself seems to be the easiest. It's a little time consuming, but not too bad.

Wiz

Mike Wizynajtys
11-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Below is an example of what I was takling about in the post above

You mean like above, or do you want to take out a single line from a bunch of text?

Here is another.

If it's the latter you'll have to quote the whole thing and cut out the parts you don't want.

Below I cut and pasted the full quote syntax from the automatic quote button.

If you want to do multiple single line quotes then adding the bracketed "quote /quote" text yourself seems to be the easiest.

and one more.

It's a little time consuming, but not too bad.

Wiz

Rugar
11-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Just quote the whole post and then delete what you dont want between the and the [/quote.].

[quote] You
can
even
do
single
words
if
you
wanted
to.

Rugar
11-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Mike beat me to it. :p

Jspencer
11-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Oh Jesus. He's back. :mad: Put me in the "everyone else" category. Spencer, keep in mind there is NO reason to be the arrogant little trouble maker you were at RC Groups while you are here. You single handedly turned that forum into a festering cesspool of nothingness. And that was BEFORE the moderators tried their hand at screwing things up even more. Never have I seen any one person bring more unrest and irritation to a public forum. If you have even a shred of human decency you'll go back to RCGroups and leave us here in peace.

Ohhhh no, Im hear for good, I LIKE it hear !.:) Its not my fawlt that Rcgroups is a "festering pool of nothingnes" and I dont think that it is. Im thinking of sarting a poll to see wat people realy think of Rcgroups.

Like this

Wat do you think of Rcgroups?
o- I liek it
o- I never lieked it
o- I hate it becase thay banned me

SaMx
11-18-2005, 03:04 AM
EDIT: NM It's come to my attention that this spencer J is someone poseing as the Spencer from RCGroups. If that's true, then that's pretty wierd.

Turbojoe
11-18-2005, 03:24 AM
EDIT: NM It's come to my attention that this spencer J is someone poseing as the Spencer from RCGroups. If that's true, then that's pretty wierd.

No, it's the real Spencer J. Just look at the bad spelling.
Now he'll be running rampant through every thread he can find just to run up his post count and cause as much trouble as possible.

Joe

SaMx
11-18-2005, 03:35 AM
In his old posts he had perfect spelling and grammar, Then I mentioned it today in his "Rampage" thread on RCgroups, and all his old posts were mysteriously edited to have bad spelling and grammar. I am relatively positive it's just some wierdo who is making fun of Spencer, and making himself look stupid in the process.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440854

a Mawk Wood
11-18-2005, 03:43 AM

boy-thats what you ARN'T

admin
11-18-2005, 03:44 AM
this one has run its course. closing it up. let's keep things somewhat constructive here at WattFlyer.