PDA

View Full Version : Curse You Sir Isaac Newton

intimidator_md
11-26-2006, 12:59 PM
My Super Sportster bought the farm early Thanksgiving morning. Cause: a shoddy solder job sans me. I think what happened is I used electrical tap over the solder joints and it was loose fitting. Vibration and fancy maneuvering caused the tape to vibrate off the joints and the wires touched. I was just coming out of a hard turn and heard this power surge noise. From about 100 feet up I watched silently as the plane very stabley glided in and impacted nose first. The fuselage is shot. The pics are worse than they seem. The wings and stabs can be saved and touched up. All the radio and electronics are good. So is the LiPo. Well, now I can re-cover a new Sportster instead of having stock red.

AEAJR
11-26-2006, 02:56 PM
That fuselage is not shot. Heck, we have fixed worse than that at the field and put it back in the air.

You seem to have all the pieces and they are all basically intact, just broken.

Remove the covering, alligne the broken pieces and apply some CA. If you like you can add some balsa across the joints for extra strenght or pick up some 2 oz fiberglass cloth and CA a piece that overlaps the joins by 1/2 inch on each side.

Make sure you get it all straight and don't rush it. Use a steel ruler or similar straight rigid piece ot be sure the parts are alligned.

You will be flying again in no time.

intimidator_md
11-27-2006, 04:26 AM
As I stated, the damage is worse than the pics show, the fuse is shot. The support braces are snapped right in critical support points. The engine mount is destroyed and won't be the smae strength upon rebuilding. The structural integrity of the plane would never be the same. It's easier to buy a replacement fuse for $40 and strip the covering and just put my own covering on. The stabs nead to be recovered and the main wing is cracked at the saddle. So I can just fix the wing and recover the whole plane.