PDA

View Full Version : Mounting servos ?

Warbird 1
09-20-2005, 02:44 AM
I was wondering what the best way would be to mount servo's in a foam wing? I have pockets cut out for my aileron servo's on my GWS Corsair, just don't know best way to hold them in.

Thank's
Rob

Twmaster
09-20-2005, 02:54 AM
I've done a couple of things. I've glued them in, I've used double sticky tape. I've also glued some wood in (where possible) and screwed the servo to the wood.

Whatever you do make sure they are secured in place. I watched a Parkzone P-51 smear it's self across the flight line due to an aileron servo coming out of it's mount in the wing.

ForestCam
09-20-2005, 03:00 AM
I like the thin ply and screws just for the simple fact that sooner or later you're going to have to remove them and removing two tiny screws is way better then having a chunk of foam come out with your servo.
IMHO a 1/4 x 1/2" piece of thin ply weighs about the same as any other method for mounting servos.

leemay
09-20-2005, 03:04 AM
I was wondering what the best way would be to mount servo's in a foam wing? I have pockets cut out for my aileron servo's on my GWS Corsair, just don't know best way to hold them in.

Thank's
Rob

I found thay Silicone works great

Twmaster
09-20-2005, 03:05 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention. If you intend to glue or double sticky a servo to mount it a wrap of good old masking tape around the body of the servo will allow you to get the thing back without a lot of debris stuck to it. Just slit the tape with a sharp hobby knife and it will usually just come right out.

I have to agree with ForestCam that a small bit of light ply and screws is the best way to go.

Unbalanced prop
09-20-2005, 07:08 PM
I have to agree with ForestCam that a small bit of light ply and screws is the best way to go.

I'll third the lite ply and screws. Best way I have found with foam.

Doug

vicman
09-20-2005, 08:27 PM
I don't like the silicone idea, after a while the servos start to act a little crazy. I have changed to using masking tape and setting the servos with either hot melt glue or gorrilla glue. Here is a pic of my Corsair wing servo mount.

flypaper 2
09-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Hotglue rules here too:D Easily peels off after you auger in and need a new plane. I learned how to peel them like bananas :p

Warbird 1
09-21-2005, 03:28 AM
Thank's to all for your help, I appreciate it. I've never played with foam before just sticks and sheet.
Thank's Again,
Rob

vicman
09-21-2005, 04:07 AM
Foam is a total hoot! Once you figure out a few techniques and get some of the right tools, you will like it just as much as sticks and sheet. It is by far cheaper!