PDA

View Full Version : Ducted Fans

crash86
11-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Hey Guys: Has anyone tried a fan mounted on a short pylon on top of the wing? I have two birds and would like to make the fan removable so I could use it on either bird. I am planning on using a Gentle Lady. Has anyone had any experiance with ducted fans and the power it would take. I would like to use a brushless motor and Li-Po battery. I have a friend who uses a .09 Norvel on a pylon and it takes the Gentle Lady up to 1000' no problem with a 2 oz. tank. I figure if I used the fan, I could resume power whenever I needed it to get to the field or climb out again. Sure would appreciate any answers you may have.
Crash gently. :D

cyclops2
11-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes.
Everything has been tried at least once by someone. Having that someone answer here is tough.
Hobby Lobby used to sell a power pod to mount any type of power to a sailplane. Check it out to see if it is still sold. Looked pretty good for gas or electric. A piece of scrap plywood about 1/8" thick makes a great plyon for foamies.
I cut out a snug slot, slid in the motor and glued it in with small drops of Epoxy along the edges. Plane is long gone, but the pod is perfect.

Don Sims
11-27-2006, 12:15 AM
I noticed in the latest Hobby-Lobby catalog that they are offering a ducted fan motor sloper.

crash86
11-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Thanks Guys. I think I will give it a go. Will let you know how and if it works.
Did I say crash gently? Is there any other way.

Erik van Schaik
12-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Have a look at my buildingthread. vdo included:D

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11019

grtz!Erik