PDA

View Full Version : Super Cub DESTROYED by stryker

aircruiser
11-27-2006, 01:28 AM
So today at 10:00 me and my dad took our planes to the local baseball field.

I had my cub and my dad had his styker F27B.

I took off, flew around and landed...my dad and I flew at the same time through three packs each and then went home.

Well about 4 hours later my dad asked me when I wanted to go flying again and I dropped everything and we loaded up in the car.

We got to the field and I put my wing on my cub, taxied in the parking lot and took off. My dad then walked to the field and took off with his stryker.

My plane, happy and working

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/crashedcub011.jpg

I got up to about 300ft and flew steady for about 10 minutes. My dad likes to fly low so me and him were clear. Well, after realizing my battery was going down, I cut throttle and floated back down. Well, my dad started followeing me and would speed up behind me and make the sound of a machine gun pretending we were fighting. Well, he passed me, went flying past, turned, made a huge loop, made a hard left and then it happened.

He made to hard of a turn and slammed into my cub at full speed. My cub was wrecked and I watched it plummet to the earth. All I could do was laugh it off. It was pretty cool, my fusalage was smashed through and my new prop was destroyed. The wing was in two and the strut was snapped.

My dad's stryker suffered a little nose damage, but his backend is very loose and definitly is in need of a new fusalage and his prop snapped in half.

Here is what I saw as soon as I got to the crash site.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/crashedcub028.jpg

Then my dad tended to his plane.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/crashedcub020.jpg

Some more pics of the carnage.

My dad's stryker

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/crashedcub014.jpg

My plane

TOTALED

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/crashedcub016.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/crashedcub031.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/crashedcub032.jpg

A re-enactment of what happened

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/crashedcub034.jpg

Well, my brother crashed my dad's cub the other day somy new project is to use the nose section of my plane on his.

firemanbill
11-27-2006, 01:43 AM
aww that's nothing! Looks fixable to me!!!:D

too bad AC but you sound like you are taking it well. And you were having fun with your Dad! It doesn't get any better than that!:D :D :D

cyclops2
11-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Glad to hear both pilots walked away OK.

Stryker pilots should not fly with scale pilots.

Speed difference is too tempting.

Grasshopper
11-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Sorry about that AC. Looks to me like some glue and tape and you're airborne again.

aircruiser
11-27-2006, 02:13 AM
haha...thanks guys!

If you look in general electric we're fusing them.

And basically if you fly airplanes you kinda have to be able to laugh at yourself for stuff like this.

Don Sims
11-27-2006, 02:52 AM
Awwww that just looks like a love tap. Fix that critter and wear the scars of combat proudly!

aircruiser
11-27-2006, 02:55 AM
haha...thanks! :D

I will save this fusalage as the combat scarred one and use my dad's cub's fusalage as the flyer becuase using this one I'd fall right out of the sky with that much glue on her. :)

Phoenex
11-27-2006, 03:52 AM
haha...thanks! :D

I will save this fusalage as the combat scarred one and use my dad's cub's fusalage as the flyer becuase using this one I'd fall right out of the sky with that much glue on her. :)

You've got a lot of wing area, the extra glue is not going to be a problem. Gorilla or PU glue with a little moisture will fix up them both, unless your foam is also bent up and warped. The glue once dry will create a very strong bond and hold.

aircruiser
11-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Yeah, but I already have an extra fusalage that someone is willing to give up so why not just take it?

Grasshopper
11-27-2006, 04:04 AM
You've got a lot of wing area, the extra glue is not going to be a problem. Gorilla or PU glue with a little moisture will fix up them both, unless your foam is also bent up and warped. The glue once dry will create a very strong bond and hold.

Ahhh Phoenex is right. Slap some Gorrilla glue on that puppy and now you have two of them. My neighbor has glued his together several times and it still flys great. He's got almost all the extra new parts to rebuild it but just keeps flying and repairing the old one. They are tough birds.

aircruiser
11-27-2006, 04:12 AM
Yes they are!

I love this plane!

But like I said previously I got a decent fusalage being willingly given to me so I'm gonna take it.

Who knows, someday I may end up fixing up the destroyed one.

Phoenex
11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Yes they are!

I love this plane!

But like I said previously I got a decent fusalage being willingly given to me so I'm gonna take it.

Who knows, someday I may end up fixing up the destroyed one.

AC,

O.k., it's understandable you want to use the other fuse. I usually repair until it's either too heavy(never happened!) from the glue or the material is beyond repair(warped, bent or just too destroyed with pieces missing) before I start using replacement parts.

I have a few questions.

Did all or most of the damage happen in mid-air?

Does your Dad fly with a 3 cell lipo in the Stryker?

Does the Cub have a wing spar or any extra support in the fuse?

Seems like a lot of damage to the Cub. We have had our share of mid-air crashes, but they have always been glancing blows and not done that much damage. Good Luck with the repairs!

aircruiser
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
AC,

O.k., it's understandable you want to use the other fuse. I usually repair until it's either too heavy(never happened!) from the glue or the material is beyond repair(warped, bent or just too destroyed with pieces missing) before I start using replacement parts.

I have a few questions.

Did all or most of the damage happen in mid-air?

Everything. It actually fell farely slow and landed on the nose and just flopped over.

Does your Dad fly with a 3 cell lipo in the Stryker?

Nope, he uses the stock 7 cell.

Does the Cub have a wing spar or any extra support in the fuse?

It has two pieces of plastic (one front one rear) where the ruber bands go to keep the rubber bands from cutting through the foam.

Other than that that's it.

It is a foam plane so a full speed stryker makes a pretty good dent. :)

I will see what I can do to the smashed fuse, other than that to get it in the air a.s.a.p. I have to use the other fuse.

Phoenex
11-28-2006, 05:59 AM
The Super Cub is weak compared to Typhoon 3D(wing spar and support rods in the fuse nose area and the Stryker (fiber glass rods). We have boosted our planes up with brushless motors, 3 cell lipos along with 3M Extreme tape and CF tubes for addtional support in the weak areas of these planes. The glancing blows while at higher speeds involve stronger planes as well, so this all makes sense now. One day we will have a high speed, head on crash and I'm sure it won't be pretty.:D

JWilliams
01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
That's hilarious. Closest I've come is my brother and I with Picco Zs trying to hit each other, but those 10 g helis have no problem with hitting anything.

CHELLIE
01-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Hi, My Dad bought me or himself :) a Cox pt19 u control with a 049 motor in it, he was going to show me how to fly it, I must have been about 11 or 12, he did a wing over right in to the ground, :D :D :D that was my first experience with model airplanes, I never got to fly that one, I will never forget that ;) good old dad, :) take care, Chellie

Airhead
01-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Wow,
I know I'm late seeing this but I enjoyed the story and the photos. Sounds llike your Dad and You are pretty cool, its great to have a good time together...:)

Chad
02-01-2007, 12:26 PM
sorry aircruiser, but I couldn't stop laughing at the re-enactment of what happened... thats what you get with some dads huh, wrecking the fun and stuff :P

aircruiser
02-01-2007, 09:19 PM
haha..thanks all!

I have flown alone once and it's fun but not as fun as flying with another..but then you get what you see above. :D

But if you are in this kind of sport with flying, you just have to laugh at this kinda stuff. Crying over it won't do anything..and it was extremely cool to see!! You see it in the movie but experiencing it in real life makes you wanna say "Let's do that again!" But then suddenly reality hits and your plane is in half and it is xosting money at the same time and that's something I don't have much of. ;)

Glad to hear you guys liked the story! I had fun doing it! :eek: :D

Old Fart
02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Looking at the damage, if you'd been flying at our field, we'd have got out the foam safe CA and kicker - and had you back FLYING :)

Philscbx
03-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi, My Dad bought me or himself :) a Cox pt19 u control with a 049 motor in it, he was going to show me how to fly it, I must have been about 11 or 12, he did a wing over right in to the ground, :D :D :D that was my first experience with model airplanes, I never got to fly that one, I will never forget that ;) good old dad, :) take care, Chellie
My Uncle gave me his box of planes and engines, and I was about 10-12 as well.
But, this line control PT19 was my absolute favorite.
http://www.ipass.net/wb4iuy/pt-19.jpg

I tried the line control for maybe 8 seconds, and giving the engine a cleaning from eating sand, and this thing is indestructible.

But it gets even better.
As I'm reassembling it in the basement, a thought to eliminate the line altogether was irresistible. I simply applied the 4th dimension factor and blocked the elevator in a position I thought should work, and another rubber band.

The rudder has a few degrees already set in.

It was the best fun one could have watching it fly by itself perfectly in 2 - 3 large circles covering the acre front yard.
Some how it maintained itself to stay about 25-50 feet above ground. Fuel tank was it's only limit.

Now to find one and convert to electric.

I recall a couple scary points when it headed for the large glass windows of the house, and then by miracle steer away.
I can only guess there was an updraft hitting the house causing it to turn away.

Philscbx
03-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Now is this the EPP foam I hear that's supposed to be bullet proof? It looks like normal styrofoam from building supply.
I think I'm more in favor of the fine grain Depron.

On the other hand, this Cub just needs to be covered entirely in decal film.

aircruiser
03-24-2007, 04:42 PM
That is the stock foam that Hobby Zone uses. I highly doubt it is bulletproof because just from putting the electronics out of the old fusalage in the new one a piece of foam chipped off just from hands hitting it.

Glad to hear you're having fun with some old nitros Philscbx..they're fun planes and would be even funner if they were the same price as electrics. :D

JWilliams
03-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Now is this the EPP foam I hear that's supposed to be bullet proof? It looks like normal styrofoam from building supply.

On the other hand, this Cub just needs to be covered entirely in decal film.Looks like it, but it's stronger than Depron, though not claimed to be indestructible (I do see the claim but I think it's known hyperbole). Most of us still aren't using EPP because of its availability and/or cost.

I imagine aircruiser is right about the ease of depron, too. I find the stuff really nice to work with and from touching EPP on pool noodles I get the impression it's harder to deal with. Really, we shoudln't be crashing that often that it matters, right? :)

CHELLIE
03-24-2007, 10:53 PM
A Pt19 would be a cool Foam scratch build, depron sold at BP hobbies has a thin plastic coating on it, that allowes you to scribe it with a pen and curve/fold it, its cheap too, its 5mm depron 10 sheets for 19.99 here is there link, take care, Chellie

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V603330&pid=A3818147

Philscbx
03-25-2007, 01:06 PM
Glad to hear you're having fun with some old nitros Philscbx..they're fun planes and would be even funner if they were the same price as electrics. :D

Well in those days, the only thing electric was the glow plug. Mid 60's.
When this event took place.

Philscbx
03-25-2007, 01:20 PM
A Pt19 would be a cool Foam scratch build, depron sold at BP hobbies has a thin plastic coating on it, that allowes you to scribe it with a pen and curve/fold it, its cheap too, its 5mm depron 10 sheets for 19.99 here is there link, take care, Chellie

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V603330&pid=A3818147

Thanks Chellie, I really like working with Depron.
From hanging out with my Son in Germany, the hobby store in his area
had it. I learned real quick how to form complex shapes using epoxy/micro spheres in a 50/50 mix. From interior supports for servos, to batteries.
Depron suppliers also recommend epoxy over the rest.

Phoenex
03-25-2007, 08:52 PM

On the other hand, this Cub just needs to be covered entirely in decal film.

The SC is mader of Z-foam, a foam that was designed to have the best qualities of EPP and Elapor foam. There is no such thing as bullet proof, however tape, covering and/or CF spars can make it much stronger.

skiman762
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Heck
That will buff right out

Balil
03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
fix that cub, not alot of planes can fly again after a mid air :D i know my cub didnt.... the tree won and still has my plane...

Philscbx
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Heck
That will buff right out

Love it

Crash Test Dummy
03-25-2007, 11:49 PM
A guy brought one of these Cub's to the field today running a AXI 2212-something. He put ailerons on his and he said it became a whold new airplane. It really made me want one for those lazy days when I don't feel like breaking 100 MPH in one of my delta wings. Nice flying plane, I flew a demo model that the LHS brought to the field. Even as a 3 CH it was a nice flyer, coming from me that says a lot....I usually don't like 3 CH planes.

CTD

Philscbx
03-26-2007, 12:47 AM
The SC is mader of Z-foam, a foam that was designed to have the best qualities of EPP and Elapor foam. There is no such thing as bullet proof, however tape, covering and/or CF spars can make it much stronger.

Well ok, not bullet proof. But I keep stumbling on ad's that claim you can twist the heck out of one of the foam types. It escapes me at present.

But I'm a Depron Man, and have it down pat how to work and build the
coolest stuff with in. I was in Germany at the time, and just assumed it was easy to find here.

All of the interior of my custom 2.5m glider is Depron custom pull out trays
for the batteries, etc. It could nail the asphalt straight in at mach II, and I know everything inside would survive.

The fly apart course bead foam would do what I do.

Depron has a nice finish no matter how you shape it, bond it, etc.
The manufacture only recommends epoxy. I do it one better with 50/50
3M micro spheres. I must be the only one doing it this way.

If they could mix in a fiber into any of the foam types, now we're talking.
And you wont see total destruction from a minor hit, or more.

The report I just received from main supplier in Europe manufacture it primary for walls under wallpaper, and under flooring. Wish we could get it here in that large of sheet. But if I come into a semi of it, I'll let every one know.

HAppy Trails