PDA

View Full Version : 8 foot C123 Build

rcav8r
12-02-2006, 04:02 AM
I've always liked big lumbering cargo planes, and always thought about building one. Well with the advent of electric power, and after reading Keith Sparks Building w/ Foam book, I decided on the C123.
* It is only a twin, (purchasing 2 outrunners is cheaper than 4 )
* It's a rather obsure plane...i.e. not another B-25 or C130.
As an added bonus, after I started work on the drawings and gathering materials, I found out that there is one about 5 minutes from my work. I passed twice a day on the way to and from work.

Anyway here are some random pictures of the process so far. I'll post more details of the construction if there is interest.

Edit: Pics
1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7) 8) 9)
1) rough cad drawing of 3view
2) kids holding the fuse for size refernce
3) wing and stab blanks 2 foot ruler for size reference
4) Gluing blocks for the nose
5) sides of nose block rough sanded
6) Nose bottom view outline
7) Getting read to cut wing w/ home made drap bar foam cutter
8) Fuse mock up. Will split fuse middle and tail to make 2 one inch sides.
9) gluing fuse middle

Also, how do you add comments to pictures?

cyclops2
12-02-2006, 04:32 AM
Foam planes are fun.
Looking good.

Don Sims
12-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Hey rc, thanks for posting the build photos of an unusual plane! I use a photo editing free program called IrfranView to edit my photos and add text the url is: http://www.irfanview.com/ Another thing folks do is just list the descriptions as a part of your post, most builders can figure out what you are taling about.

firemanbill
12-02-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm in RC!

keep us posted on the build. I'm looking to do a Lockheed L-10 Electra so will be interested in your technique and process since I have never scratch built anything before.

airmail wf
12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey Buddy, where did you get those rotors? :D They look a little rusty.:p

Crash Test Dummy
12-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Wow!! That thing looks cool. However it also looks heavy, how are you going to power it? Do you have a target weight for the project?

CTD

rcav8r
12-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey Buddy, where did you get those rotors? :D They look a little rusty.:p
I'm in the process of seasoning them :)

Don; I'll check out the irfanview; thanks. For now I added some captions. I was expecting fields for captions next to the pics after they were downloaded. I guess this feature isn't there.

Anyway here are some pics of the full size one.

rcav8r
12-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow!! That thing looks cool. However it also looks heavy, how are you going to power it? Do you have a target weight for the project?

CTD
I guess heavy is relative :) I'm for a AUW of 8-9#s. Even if it gets up to 10#; that isn't exactly heavy for an 8-foot warbird. Than again compared to my <3 ounce Diddle Bug; yea it's heavy :D
Nose alone is 12 ounces, but I'm sure I'll loose more than half of that once I carve/sand to shape and hollow out. Looking to power load it at about 75wats per # Not sure of the motors/props just yet. I'll decide once I get the wight of the empty airframe.

rcav8r
12-02-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm in RC!

keep us posted on the build. I'm looking to do a Lockheed L-10 Electra so will be interested in your technique and process since I have never scratch built anything before.
Bill; This is my first all foam scratch build; so I don't know if I'm the best one to follow :) I do highly recommend the book "building with foam" by Keith Sparks. The book is basically an overview, and provides just enough info to get you started. You do have to fill in a lot of the blanks yourself, but that's half the fun.

airmail wf
12-02-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm in the process of seasoning them :).

I'm sure most people on this forum are wondering what the heck you are talking about. :confused: Make sure you use a little salt and pepper.:p

To stay on topic: I think this is going to be one heck of a plane. Make sure you let me know when you are going to maiden it. I'll bring my camera. :D

firemanbill
12-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Bill; This is my first all foam scratch build; so I don't know if I'm the best one to follow :) I do highly recommend the book "building with foam" by Keith Sparks. The book is basically an overview, and provides just enough info to get you started. You do have to fill in a lot of the blanks yourself, but that's half the fun.

I should get a copy of that book!:D It looks like you are doing well so far.

I know what he meant WF!;) I've got a few old cars seasoning out back as well!:o

cyclops2
12-02-2006, 09:31 PM
You will not exceed 1# / sq. ft, flying weight. If hollowed out to a safe wall thickness.
Remember 2X the wall thickness, is NOT 2X the weight. Leave in a GOOD safety factor for that unexpected dive and high speed pull up.

Most of us get 1 or 2 of those per airplane. It just happens.

Save a lot of tail weight by using pull-pull tail controls. 10# fishline. Long tail/short nose planes need nothing in the tail. 3 : 1 ratio means 2 oz. in the tail needs 6 oz. of battery hanging out of the nose.

Turboprop cargo plane wings bend my 1#/1 ft. load rule a little with their high eff. airfoils.
Does the 123 have a flat bottom? If yes, some of the area acts as lifting area.

MacMyers
12-03-2006, 01:35 AM
In on this one. Very cool. :D

TLyttle
12-03-2006, 02:31 AM
Hey, yeah, one of those came bumping through here a few months ago, and I was REALLY impressed that the old tug was still flying! I still have my copy of Air Trails with Cal Smith's painting on the cover....

Seems that there were some less-than-complementary names for it, referring to its unusually large nether regions...

Make 'er fly, rcav8er!

WingTips24
12-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Wow nice going bud I will keep an eye on this one.

Tips

rcav8r
12-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Since there seems to be some interest, here are some details on the various processes.

The nose of the C123 has compound curves with some sharp angles so I thought the best method would be to build it from blocks of 2" foam. Then carve/sand to shape.

1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7) 8) (8 should go between 3 and 4, but somehow the pics uploaded out of order)

1) Cut blocks that will make up the nose. Labeled and center lines marked
2) Test stacked and marked for vertical position, horizontal alignment
3) Just a spot of epoxy is needed as the parts will be separated and hollowed later.
4) Getting the side view to the blocks
5) Rough cut with hot wire. Careful here as the hot wire can easily get away from you when free hand cutting
6) Close enough for now with 80 grit sand paper
7) bottom view traced to blocks.
8) Keep plenty of weight on the stack while the epoxy cures. Be sure the blocks don't shift. The small spot of epoxy helps with this as there is not enough epoxy for the parts to slip on.

rcav8r
12-04-2006, 02:54 AM
Remember 2X the wall thickness, is NOT 2X the weight. Leave in a GOOD safety factor for that unexpected dive and high speed pull up.
Most of us get 1 or 2 of those per airplane. It just happens.

Does the 123 have a flat bottom? If yes, some of the area acts as lifting area.

I'm guessing you mean 1/2 the thickness is less than 1/2 the strength??? Yep I took that into consideration... sides of fuse are 1inch.
For the wings. I'm going to go with 1/4" spruces spars top and bottom. The whole thing is going to be glassed adding to the strength. I'm hoping to be erroring on the "heavy" side.

Knowing my flying style I'm not going to promise that I won't roll the thing, but only after a few shake down flights ( hay I waited until the 2nd flight before rolling my 6 foot B29 :) ) and that is only after I see how the thing is holding up ( stress , flexing, etc) I'm guessing this is going to be basically a large funny looking powered glider.

As far as flat fuse bottom. Yep all 12+ inches worth is basically flat. :)

On the 3 view I have the tip/cord ratio is less than 2:1. I made mine a little more than 2:1 and have 2 degrees washout hoping to avoid tips stalls. Airfoil is a simple Clark-Y. Probably going to go with 2deg positive on the main wing, and 0 on the stab. Any thoughts on this?

TKG
12-04-2006, 06:04 AM
[quote=rcav8r;123352]Knowing my flying style I'm not going to promise that I won't roll the thing, but only after a few shake down flights ( hay I waited until the 2nd flight before rolling my 6 foot B29 :) ) and that is only after I see how the thing is holding up ( stress , flexing, etc) I'm guessing this is going to be basically a large funny looking powered glider.

As far as flat fuse bottom. Yep all 12+ inches worth is basically flat. :)

/quote]
Large funny looking powered glider" well ain't that what they are.

Unbalanced prop
12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
AV8R.............You going to paint it or leave it pink? :D

Nice job so far!! Think you'll have it done for the electric fly at Cedar Creek?

Doug

WingTips24
12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
rcav8r,

I like the pegboard idea you have in the back of your shop. I enjoy building large foam models too. Here is a link to a thread I did on an acrobatic style large scale model. It will be cool to watch how you do things and trade build ideas. I have a bunch of that size pink foam you are using, great stuff. Will you be hollowing out the nose section of the plane. What are the lanes dimentions going to be, and what is your expected AUW?

Page 1 shows 1st model and beginning of build- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450106

Page 2-11 shows rest of the build - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450106&page=2&pp=15

Page 12 here shows final pics -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450106&page=12&pp=15

Good luck yours is looking great,it's fun to work with foam!

Tips

skiman762
12-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that starts a new project when I have others still to complete
looks like that one will be pretty cool

rcav8r
12-05-2006, 04:38 AM
AV8R.............You going to paint it or leave it pink? :D

Nice job so far!! Think you'll have it done for the electric fly at Cedar Creek?

Doug

Yeaaaa. It'll be pink. Nice and easy to see if it goes down in the woods :) Seriously, I'm hoping to make it the same as the full scale one that I happen to have unlimited access to.

I really hope to have it done for the Cedar Creek Electric fun fly. Not sure if it will take off on the grass as the 3" wheels ( exact scale BTW ;)) sit at the bottom of the fuse for a whopping 1.5" of clearance. Did you hear Keith got permission to make it a multi day event? Will probably do a shameless plug here once I get more info. I'll be helping out Keith this year. Too bad it rained for the one this past summer. The others were a blast.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that starts a new project when I have others still to complete
looks like that one will be pretty cool
Yea I have a few... :) Actually most in the bkg are ready to fly ( 4*40 and my old favorite the Kougar which I flew w/ glow for a few years, and have it ready electrics) ... well except for the uncovered parts :)

Tips.... I'll definitely check out your thread, and I'm sure I'll be getting more tips than I'll be giving :) And yea, I'm finding the foam really fun to work with. I put it off for a long time for what ever reason; mainly I like working w/ balsa so much. But I have to admit, I really like seeing a plane come together so quickly. If this one works out, I hope to do a larger sport plane like yours.
I was going to hollow out the nose, but not sure if I will need the nose weight. Will wait and see. Not sure what you mean by lanes.... Sides maybe? If so sides, and bottom are 1" foam, and top is 2" w/ 2" triangles in the corners. Will carve the top rounded. I'll post a CAD detail tomorrow night. AUW: I'm shooting for 8 to 9 #s Since this is my first foam build/glass & paint finish I'm not sure exactly what to expect, but the uncarved/sanded fuse feels really light for it's size.

Anyway, what's the secrete to get email updates here? I have the option checked and I got a few the first day, but now nothing. I just happened to look at the thread before heading to bed and saw all the new posts.

WingTips24
12-05-2006, 02:45 PM
rcav8r,

Opps I ment to say "planes" dimensions. LOL!. Mine was right around 8 1/2 punds. Did you post what your setup will be I assume you are running two motors. Any ideas on what you plan to use? That is some thick foam you are using, I can't tell if you have a foam cutter in the back or not but that pink foam is rally strong and you could easily go to 1/2 or even 1/4 inch and it would be plenty strong and may save you some weight. Even at 1 inch though she should float pretty good. Great job again my friend, looking forward t watching you build man!:)

Tips

Tips.... I'll definitely check out your thread, and I'm sure I'll be getting more tips than I'll be giving :) And yea, I'm finding the foam really fun to work with. I put it off for a long time for what ever reason; mainly I like working w/ balsa so much. But I have to admit, I really like seeing a plane come together so quickly. If this one works out, I hope to do a larger sport plane like yours.
I was going to hollow out the nose, but not sure if I will need the nose weight. Will wait and see. Not sure what you mean by lanes.... Sides maybe? If so sides, and bottom are 1" foam, and top is 2" w/ 2" triangles in the corners. Will carve the top rounded. I'll post a CAD detail tomorrow night. AUW: I'm shooting for 8 to 9 #s Since this is my first foam build/glass & paint finish I'm not sure exactly what to expect, but the uncarved/sanded fuse feels really light for it's size.

Anyway, what's the secrete to get email updates here? I have the option checked and I got a few the first day, but now nothing. I just happened to look at the thread before heading to bed and saw all the new posts.[/quote]

Keith wilson
12-05-2006, 05:13 PM
[
I really hope to have it done for the Cedar Creek Electric fun fly. Not sure if it will take off on the grass as the 3" wheels ( exact scale BTW ;)) sit at the bottom of the fuse for a whopping 1.5" of clearance. Did you hear Keith got permission to make it a multi day event? Will probably do a shameless plug here once I get more info. I'll be helping out Keith this year. Too bad it rained for the one this past summer. The others were a blast.

Dave:

Yes this yr will be a 2 day event and also will have overnite camping, besides if enough interest we can have nite flying. Am evpecting a great turnout this coming yr.

...Keith...

Unbalanced prop
12-05-2006, 05:18 PM
My email updates seem to work "some" of the time. Missed a few posts, but finally got an email notification.

Doug

Keith wilson
12-05-2006, 05:45 PM
My email updates seem to work "some" of the time. Missed a few posts, but finally got an email notification.

Doug

Hey Doug:

Going to the Xmas party on the 17th?

...Keith...

Unbalanced prop
12-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey Doug:

Going to the Xmas party on the 17th?

Hi Keith............I can't make it. The old "ball and chain" has plans for me at the in-laws that night. :eek: Should prove interesting. :rolleyes:

Doug

rcav8r
12-06-2006, 03:59 AM
rcav8r,

Opps I ment to say "planes" dimensions. LOL!. Mine was right around 8 1/2 punds. Did you post what your setup will be I assume you are running two motors. Any ideas on what you plan to use? That is some thick foam you are using, I can't tell if you have a foam cutter in the back or not but that pink foam is rally strong and you could easily go to 1/2 or even 1/4 inch and it would be plenty strong and may save you some weight. Even at 1 inch though she should float pretty good. Great job again my friend, looking forward t watching you build man!:)

<homer>Dohhh</homer> "Plane"... Here I thought "lane" was some fancy foam term :) You type as well as I do :D.
Not sure on the motors just yet. Want to see what the weight of the airframe is first.
Yea, I have a home made foam cutting system. A home made drop bar cutter ( aka $10 feather cut) and some home made bows (mostly scraps I had laying around) and a home made power supply (about $20 because I added a meter, about $12 otherwise). Got a 2" 8x4 section of foam for $17. Blue was about $47, so I went with pink. All the major parts are cut, and I still have foam left over. I'm sure balsa/ply would be quite a bit more expensive, and I would probably only have one fuse side built so far.
I was afraid to go less than 1" for the sides, but after seeing how strong the fuse is now that it is built, 1/2" should have been OK. Then again I'll be carving/sanding a lot of it away, so some spots will be less than 1/2". Pic below w/ dimensions. BTW Tips, still reading through your thread. Made it to page 2 so far :)

Yes this yr will be a 2 day event and also will have overnite camping, besides if enough interest we can have nite flying. Am evpecting a great turnout this coming yr.
...Keith...
Keith, yep got the flier in the mail today... will send you a PM later.

Anyway here are some more pics of the progress.

1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7) 8)

1) Cut from method in Pic 7
2) Slicing the 2" foam to two 1" pieces. Makes for symmetrical sides. :)
3) Cutting a sharp angle.
4) this method is easier when cutting shallow angles. Just block up to the line on the foam is square to table.
5) gluing on the rear top block. Misalignments will be sanded away.
6) Fuse cross section for middle of fuse. This basically runs from just behind the wing TE to where the nose block is. ( see pic posted earlier) Blue is foam, purple is fuse cross section
7) Letting gravity do the work.
8) Safety first when cutting foam... Can't say how well it works, but when I don't turn it on for quick cuts, it sure does stink. No smell when it's on. Also can see the smoke moving towards the fan when it's on.

DLSmith2
12-06-2006, 08:34 AM
rcav8r,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I jumped out of the C123K "Provider" in Jumpmaster School in the Army, some 30 years ago. If you'll notice, it probably has more rivets in the fuselage skin that any airplane you'll ever see. Rumor has it that it was "beefed up" to be a glider, and when that method of infiltration fell by the wayside, they put radials on it. That was when they found out that it was underpowered, so they put a ramjet outboard of each radial. When they fired up on takeoff, you couldn't hear yourself scream.

At night, the blue flames coming from the exhaust stack created a surreal strobe effect that only heightened the experience of my first parachute malfunction; a streamer; at night. Probably would have scared an ordinary man to death...

Later, an enterprising company was buying the old C123Ks and replacing the radials with C130 turboprops. It ran like a cat with its tail on fire! I got to make a test jump from it when I was a Freefall instructor a Ft. Bragg. What a nice bird!

I'll keep an eye on this thread. Good luck!

Blue skies,

DL

rcav8r
12-08-2006, 04:41 AM
DL; No problem for the trip :) My pleasure.... Yea, the thing has a ton of rivets, and panels. I'll probably just put a few panels on the plane to give it the illusion.
Yep, the story I heard was that it was originally a glider, then outfitted with jet engines, then the radials. At museum where it is, there is a guy who is a member that flew them. Can't wait to have a chance to talk w/ him. The guy that gave me the nickel tour was a jumper like yourself. I'll probably be stopping by there Saturday, so I can get some pics if you want.

Well the fuse is all "framed" up. Wings and stab are cut. Will post some more pics when I have more time. After reading through Tips thread, I was worried about all the Epoxy I was using to glue the fuse together. Well I weighed it before I added one rather large piece ( lower bottom piece) and 2 smaller pieces (2" tri "stock"), but including the pieces I was going to glue. Then I weighed it after I epoxied it. A whopping .3 ounces difference. So I'm guessing I added maybe an ounce in glue for the fuse. Not counting the nose cone, the fuse weighs 30 ounces. Hope to loose 1/4 to 1/3 after carving.
Now I need to figure out what wood I'm going to need and get it ordered. I got so involved w/ the foam, I forgot about the wood.

Well hope to get some pics of the progress posted tomorrow evening.

TLyttle
12-09-2006, 06:03 AM
I think that DL is right, radials then the jets for more go. I don't think they were ramjets, as they only start at speed far in excess of the top speed of the 123 (could be wrong...)

I do know that the example I saw last summer used turbojets (I suppose I could look up the original specs once my garage thaws out!), little bitty non-bypass blowtorches.

Now ya got me going... I'm a research freak...

rcav8r
12-09-2006, 01:53 PM
TLyttle; Let us know what you find out; I'll ask at the museum today if I make it there.

OK some pics of getting the wing cut. I'm gonna break up the pics as for some odd reason there is always a problem when I load more than 4 pics.
1) 2) 3) 4)
1) Here's the stab tip templates It;s a 9% symmetrical. Printed out of Compufoil. It even compensates for the kerf of the wire.....Not that I am worried about that kinda of accuracy.
2) Here the top and bottom are cut out, I stack them and drill the indexing holes so they line up.
3) Here they are unstacked
4) I put a small piece of duct tape where the pins ( paneling nails) will go. This way the hole won't wallow out in the soft foam

rcav8r
12-09-2006, 02:21 PM
More pics : 1) 2) 3) 4)
1) Stab template on core. Cut the top first, then the bottom.
2) Here's a CU Of the wing being cut.
3) Got a little close to the top of the core for the wing. It's a Clark Y and about 1.9" thick. I'm using 2" foam :)
4) Finished wing panel.

TKG
12-11-2006, 05:51 AM
Two P&W R2800s and 2 GE J-85's. Weird sound. When coming at you you heard the R2800's and going away all you could here were the J85's.

rcav8r
12-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Well progress has slowed a bit due to too much other stuff going on. I went to the museum last Sat, but they were having their Xmas part. Hopefully this weekend I can make it and get more info on the C123....

Here are some more pics of the progress....

1) 2) 3) 4)
1) Top of fuse and tri stock. Tri stock was cut from a 2" square of foam. These were the pieces that were mentioned in the above posts about glue...
2) One of the Tri-stock getting glued in. Used plenty of weight as the tri-foam wanted to bend a lot.
3) Rear tri stock being glued... Top already glued.
4) Top block glued on. Remember, most of this will get carved/sanded away.

rcav8r
12-15-2006, 02:28 AM
More Pics

1) 2) 3) 4)
5)

5) TIP: When you have an angle to match, make the part sit on top, not in-laid. I should have made the fuse sides 1" shorter, and then slapped the bottom on. Instead I had to in-lay the bottom; matching the angle of the fuse, and where the angle started.
Here I laid some scrap paper over the opening and shined a light through the fuse to make it easier to get the outline of the fuse.
1) Marking the bottom foam piece.
2) Transfered to the foam. Will slice down to 1" as it is 2" now.
3) Added angle in bottom piece to match fuse middle bottom
4) Weigh in after all main fuse pieces are glued. Will be interesting to see what it weighs when all the carving/sanding is done.

Note: Pics xfered out of order.... See #s for proper order.

Unbalanced prop
12-15-2006, 03:02 AM
Coming right along Dave. Very impressive!!:D

Doug

herk_1
12-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the pictures, rcav8r, that brings back some memories! (I'm an ex-USAF '130 pilot) I can remember seeing a C-123 in Korea (mid-80s, it no doubt belonged to the Koreans at the time) and our crew was laughing at all the different stuff hanging off the wings (both prop and jet engines, tanks, etc.), how it looked so cobbled together. Of course, the joke was on us to some extent, because our own 20+ year-old C-130Es were probably the ugliest airplane still in active use, and much of the equipment on/in them was also cobbled-together, make-it-up-as-you-go-along (typical Lockheed).

I find your instrument panel photo particularly interesting. Note that the "barber pole" (maximum speed) on the airspeed indicators is at only 250 knots. And there's that huge compass, in a position quite different from what later became standard, with a bearing pointer that has no tail. The RMDI (radio magnetic direction indicator) is under the ADI (artificial horizon), which did become the standard position for the "main" compass (or HSI) and looks like the RMDI on our Herks (same two bearing pointers), and the VVI to the left of it looks to be the same instrument too. Then to the left of that is a glideslope/localizer instrument for ILS approaches that looks like the one we had in T-37s in my undergraduate pilot training. On either side of the throttle quadrant is a big wheel for elevator trim, and at the bottom of the picture is a smaller wheel that is probably rudder or aileron trim. At the top of the picture are the emergency engine fire shutoff "T" handles, and beneath them the guarded switches are probably for shooting the fire extinguishing agent. It looks like there are AOA (angle of attack) meters tacked onto the glareshield; those were tacked-on things on our C-130s too (we never used them). Our seat cushions had the same "international-orange" upholstery, and see how the foam is flattened toward the back where the pilot's butt sits? Put a piece of cheap foam on top of a metal plate, and it permanently compresses like that with use in short order. Now imagine sitting on that for several hours! I took to bringing along my own "supplementary" cushion on trips!

WingTips24
12-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Looking great there still keeping my eyes glued for new posts...lol glad to see she is going well.

Tips

WingTips24
12-15-2006, 05:35 PM
rcav8r,

what material are you using to make as a backing for the paper templates you are cutting out. I like it because it is a thin materal. I see it in post 33 picture # 2 from left to right. Is that a partical board. Looks to be about 1 or 2 millimeters thick. Is it stiff?

Tips

rcav8r
12-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Doug, progress has slowed a little bit, but hopefully they can pick up again after this week as the kids extracircular activities will be slowing down for the holidays. I think you need to make a trip to the ARCS to see this one fly. You missed the B-29, huh?

Herk: Thanks for the "tour" I hope to meet up with the guy who flies this one in airshows, and from what I heard flew this exact same one many years ago for the service. I know the jumper that gave me the tour was bragging about how slow it could fly so they could get more guys out in one pass of the jump zone.

Tips: The template material I use for foam cutting is scrap formica. I heard on another forum that all you had to do was go to a cabinet shop, and they would be happy to give you their scraps. Well I tried that, but they didn't seem to keen to that idea. So Ihad my wife stop at the same shop, and the eagierly gave her a bunch of scrap. :rolleyes: Anyway I'm out of scrap, and have some more stuff to cut out ( stab platform in the rear of the fuse and wing profile in the nacels) so it looks like it's time for her to make another trip :) I tried to buy some but around here they want $40 for a damaged 4x8 sheet. A little steep IMO.

Here's a pic of it being rough cut, and then sanding an inside angle. I then sand it to the line with a disk/belt sander, and use a sanding drum in a drill press for sanding inside angles. I heard that you need to polish the surface. I got it what I though was close enough with 220 grit after the "final" power sanding. THere were a few places on the wing where the wire cut. Easy enough to clean up as I'm not vacum bagging it, but the cut could have been a lot neater. I'll grab some shots of the rough cut later tonight and post.

rcav8r
12-21-2006, 10:58 PM
Well as usual, I didn't get to work on the C123 as much as I would have liked. Saturday and Sunday were too nice to not go flying, and Sat night I had to repair my Kadet LT25 as the V. tail popped off in flight :eek: Made for a really neat flat spin, which was probably the best thing for it, as damage was minimized to the LG going through the bottom of the fuse, and of course repairing the V tail.

Anyway, here are some more progress pics
1) 2) 3) 4)

1 & 2) gluing Leading edges on the wing and H stab. Used 1/4" wood that I had laying around. Cut to approx the right height, and whittle/sand to shape. I kept then weighted down in the beds to not introduce any warps.

3) I put strip of tape on the foam near the LE so I didn't gouge the foam when sanding. I also tried it with out the tape and was careful. As long as you are careful sanding the wood near the foam, you don't need the tape. If you tend to get a bit carried away when sanding, use the tape.

4) LE sanded to shape.

More to come... My wife just informed me we gotta head out and do some last minute Xmas shopping.

rcav8r
12-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Hope everyone had a good holiday!!!

OK, things still aren't progressing as fast as I was hoping. Just too much going on.... I also had some strange problem when printing my templates for the cutout for the stab. For some odd reason they didn't print at 100% even thought that's what I had selected. Lost a lot of time playing around with this. Got it figured out; just wish I knew why it wasn't printing right in the first place, and what I did to fix it. But really glad I found out before I cut the foam in the fuse. I also went and double checked the wing root/tip and stab root/tip to make sure these weren't off too. Thank goodness they were OK as it would have required a lot more foam and cutting :(
Anyway I ordered the wood needed last night so I am kind of at a stand still until the wood comes as I would like to the wing joined/mounted before I start carving the fuse due to the large fillets. Should be easier to carve them as part of the fuse as opposed to adding later.

Anyway here are some more shots of the progress.
1) 2) 3) 4)
5) 6)

1) Tools used to find the center line when carving the LE. The Great Pains one (red) seems like such a good idea, but I find the Goldburg one (white one) a lot easier to get an accurate center line
2 and 3) to cut the upward sweep at the tail, I covered the sides of the fuse with aluminum tape, and used this to guide the wire.
4) Stab Template cut and in place ( this is the ones I had problems printing)
5) Stab cutout cut out
6 ) Stab set at 0 degrees. Wing will be set at +2deg. Any comments on this? If I remember correctly most trainers with Clark Y airfoils have +2, and since this is a Clark Y.....

rcav8r
12-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Started on the wing and stab tips. I just printed out the pattern, and traced them on some scrap foam. As I will be sanding these anyway, I cut them on my band saw. Not exactly the smoothest cuts, but it really doesn't matter as they will be sanded to final shape once on the wing.
I only cut out one for the wing and one for the stab. I used 2" foam for this and then ripped the pices to 1" Result: Only had to cut one wing tip and one stab tip, and they are matched sets.

1) 2) 3) 4)

1) Cutting the tips on the band saw. Close to the lines was close enough for this.
2) Not as baby behind smooth as cutting with a hot wire, but a lot easier
3) Rough shaped wing and stab tips

4) Earlier I said I would post a pic of the washboard I got when cutting the wing. I am guessing this is due to the templates not being as smooth as they could be and the wire hanging up on the rough spots. Any other ideas on this?
I filled this with light weight spackling and when sanded it is baby behind smooth. ( Yea, I need to get a pic of the final result :) )

Don Sims
12-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do this build and post it RC!!

rcav8r
12-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Thanks Don. NO problem. I just hope someone gets something out of this. I know I put off working with foam for years because I thought it would be difficult and flimsy. Well that certainly is not the case, and it sure does open a lot of possibilities.

If you notice on the second pic in post 7 the left engine is missing. Well it is out of the plane for repairs. Well I went to the museum today and got to actually work on the engine for the C123. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but a quick learner :) Replaced the cable/pushrod for the prop pitch. Lots more to do on the engine. Hope to get to work on it more.
Anyway, here's a pic of the engine in the hangar.

Since I plan on using outrunners on this one, I guess you could say it's authentic as the original had a round engine too :D

rcav8r
01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Got some more done on the C123. The wood came in so I was able to use it to line up where the spar will go.

I also decided to go with an airfoiled v.tail (9% sym) as the original had a thicker "regular" V tail, and a thinner extension from the LE of the V. tail forward.

Well here's the progress so far.

1) 2) 3) 4)
5) 6)

1) Printed the templates for the fuse and the V tail templates at work on the plotter so I didn't have to tape a bunch of sheets together.

2) I ran out of formica, and haven't had my wife replenish the supply yet, so I decided to try and use balsa w/ some foil tape for templates. Easier to make and the results were just fine for my use. I wouldn't want to use this method if sheeting w/ balsa and bagging.

3) I used the spar material to align where the spar would go. Not at the high point in the airfoil, but darned close. I wanted to keep the spar straight as I will use a dihedral brace to tie it all together. If it was at the high point, the spar would have hit the LE at about 75% span.

4) Laying down a straight edge to use as a guide when routing the spar slot.

5) Routing out the spar slot.

6) spar slot ( center) and slots for servo and motor wiring routed in the wing. The wiring slots also have a 1/16" relief cut as I'll inlay 1/16" balsa to cover the slots flush with the wing surface.

rcav8r
01-08-2007, 11:06 PM
HUmmm couldn't get the pics to attach in the above post. Tried again in this post, but they didn't go through. Will try later.

rea59
01-09-2007, 12:17 AM
HUmmm couldn't get the pics to attach in the above post. Tried again in this post, but they didn't go through. Will try later.

After the new server I had problems uploading pic's as well. I found that the rules posted about size were not being followed. To get my pic's uploaded I opened them (with different programs) and did a "save as" to reduce their size (and quality). Once the files were less than 100K they would upload. Greater than that and the attachment screen just goes blank with no warning.

Might help.:)

WingTips24
01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Keep it comin bro were still here watchin!

Tips

rcav8r
01-09-2007, 06:04 PM
rea; I'll try to re-size tonight when I get home. I take the pics at the 1 meg setting on the camera so I can just post w/ out processing, but if there was a change on server side, I'll resize to <100K and try to post again. I see the server upgrade didn't help with the email notifications though. Still haven't received one for this thread after the inital one way back when.

Tips... Glad someone is watching :) Just hoping someone who is anti-foam ( as I used to be) gives this a try. It sure does open a ton more possabilities. I just wish I had more time to work on the plane, but it is fun and full of new challanges. Just let me know if I'm headed down the wrong path, OK? :)

Don Sims
01-09-2007, 06:24 PM
After the new server I had problems uploading pic's as well. I found that the rules posted about size were not being followed. To get my pic's uploaded I opened them (with different programs) and did a "save as" to reduce their size (and quality). Once the files were less than 100K they would upload. Greater than that and the attachment screen just goes blank with no warning.

If you guys haven't already done so, I'll post it where Marc or Nathan will know about the problem.

WingTips24
01-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I tell ya what it will surely be a sturdy bird, that is one advantage to making the parts a bit thicker, she should also float really well. I know only too well how you need a little encouragement along the way when you build from scratch. I had a gang of guys helping me out when it got a little slow, projects like these take a lot out of you cause there is so much to do and time always seems to be short. Looks good man! I bet alot more folks are looking than posting so just know you do have an audience and we are rootin you on!

Tips

Rugar
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM

rea; I'll try to re-size tonight when I get home. I take the pics at the 1 meg setting on the camera so I can just post w/ out processing, but if there was a change on server side, I'll resize to <100K and try to post again. I see the server upgrade didn't help with the email notifications though. Still haven't received one for this thread after the inital one way back when.

Tips... Glad someone is watching :) Just hoping someone who is anti-foam ( as I used to be) gives this a try. It sure does open a ton more possabilities. I just wish I had more time to work on the plane, but it is fun and full of new challanges. Just let me know if I'm headed down the wrong path, OK? :)

Uploading problems should now be fixed. Let us know if you still have a problem with it.

rcav8r
01-10-2007, 04:51 AM
Gerald; Thanks for looknig into this. Appeared to work just fine now.

Tips; THANKS for the words of encouragment. It's only going slow due to lack of time, not motivation :) Got the spars glued in tonight. No pics as there was nothing really "cutting edge" there :)

CHELLIE
01-10-2007, 06:53 AM
RCAV8R its looking great, and it looks like you have a couple of great helpers there too :) I am in favor of leaving it PINK :) Take care and have fun, Chellie

rcav8r
01-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Chellie; THANKS. Yea, pink sure would draw a lot of attantion, and make it easy to find should it find it's way to in the deep woods by the field. :)

Anyway, been working on it pretty good today and some yesterday. Yesterday I went to the aircraft museum and worked on some wiring for an A-20. PRetty neat stuff.
Here's a link to the mesume's website. http://www.airheritage.org/

Well here's some more pics of the progress.

1) 2) 3) 4)

1) Gluing the spar. Nothing too exciting here, just making sure it has enough weight. Don't want a curved wing.

2) While the epoxy for the spars cures, I started working on shaping the fuse. Cutting the templates. I actually didn't cut it as shown in this pic as I wanted a frame around the templates so I could use the negative as the template for positions b, c and d.

3) positive of template A marking the fuse. Note that the sides don't exactly line up. I think I'll just leave it a little wide as this certainly won't be a Top Gun model :)

4)I decided to do the carving sanding in the garage as I didn't want the foam dust all over the place in my shop. Here is the fuse ready to carve, and some tools used in the process.

5) Carving the nose. During the process I found I needed a knife larger than the one I was using ( disposable utility knife; the kind w/ snap off blades) So I borrowed the wife's electric carving knife. Goes through the foam like butter. Just don't tell her :)

6) Fuse roughed out. The places near the wings will require under cuts/sanding. I don't have any 50 grit paper in sheets, so I'll have to wait until I get some (hardware stores closed already) to finish the wing area, and near the tail. The sanding block I have doesn't work too well for those areas.

Unbalanced prop
01-15-2007, 01:06 PM
4)I decided to do the carving sanding in the garage as I didn't want the foam dust all over the place in my shop. Here is the fuse ready to carve, and some tools used in the process.

Looking GOOD Dave. :) Working in the garage with the door open in mid January in Southwestern PA!! Gotta love it.

Doug

airmail wf
01-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Looking GOOD Dave. :) Working in the garage with the door open in mid January in Southwestern PA!! Gotta love it.

Doug
I think things are going to change pretty soon.:eek:

rcav8r
01-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Yea, things changed...brrrrr. Actually my wife's mom is wintering in Phoenix to excape the cold. She called yesterday. 29 in Phoenix...57 in Pgh :D Not so today. May have to close the garage door when it comes time to finish up the sanding.

Anyway, I picked up some sandpaper ( actually found 36 grit ) yesterday, and made some contoured sanding blacks last night. (from what else?; Foam ) Did a few test sands and the blocks look like they will work. I'm just not too sure my sculpting skills are where they will need to be. :)
I'll try and post some pics tonight of the sanding tools I made.

WingTips24
01-16-2007, 09:02 PM
these latest pics show it really coming together.

Tips

rcav8r
01-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Some more progress. Sanding didn't loose as much weight in the fuse as I was hoping. 28,5 ounce to start, and now it's 21.2 ounces. Still not too shabby for a fuse this size. I'm hoping to loose a 2 or 3 more ounces with more sanding on the inside. I think 1" tri-stock would have been sufficient. ( I used 2")
Anyway here's some pics of the sanding tools, and an overview of the progress so far.
1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6)

1) some simple sanding tools I made from scrap foam. I used 36 grit for the really rough shaping, 50 grit for the next step. Will go for 100, later
2) Sanding a test piece to get the feel for sanding the wing fillet.
3) Test Piece. Wing fillet will have this shape.
4) Overview so far. Still need to fit a piece in the tail, and build the nacelles ( that will be the next sub-project). And as expected my sculpting skills could use some work. Pretty impressive looking so far though if I say so myself :D
5) Shot of the mid section.
6) Shot of the tail section.

CHELLIE
01-20-2007, 05:58 AM
Wow!!!! that is really looking nice, good job, getting ready to build a DR1 Fokker, with a 28 to 30 in wing span from 5 mm foam, been looking at the plans in the forums & saving pictures, after I am done building it, I just hope that FOKKER flys :D :D :D sorry, I Just could not help myself, Take care and have fun, Chellie

WingTips24
01-20-2007, 07:14 AM
RC,

way to go man I really didn't understand which way you were going at this till now. Really great stuff man looking real good. WOW is right!

Tips

Don Sims
01-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Coming together and looking good!

dmmalish
01-20-2007, 01:01 PM
that thing is going to be awsome can't wait to see the maiden video of that one:)

stinkweed007
01-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Almost brought a trear to the eye..

My grandfather flew that very plane towards the end of his 36 year military service.

He was part of the H model testing in Maryland as well as fielding in Vietnam prior to his retirement.

His plane was named The General's Daughter... but later just called The General.

Sweet model pal...!

rea59
01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Very nice!:eek: If it flies half as good as its looking your going to have a wonderful plane.

Unbalanced prop
01-20-2007, 08:43 PM
SWEEET :D Your "da man" Dave!!

Doug

rcav8r
01-21-2007, 11:57 PM
getting ready to build a DR1 Fokker, with a 28 to 30 in wing span from 5 mm foam, been looking at the plans in the forums & saving pictures, after I am done building it, I just hope that FOKKER flys :D :D :D sorry, I Just could not help myself, Take care and have fun, Chellie

Be sure to post on the build. Will you be using the foam like balsa. I.E. ribs/formers and skin? If so, Tips has a great thread that he posted a link early in this thread.

RC,
way to go man I really didn't understand which way you were going at this till now. Really great stuff man looking real good. WOW is right!

Tips

YEa, I guess the cat's out of the bag now :D Didn't really look too much like an airplane up until that point, huh? :)

that thing is going to be awsome can't wait to see the maiden video of that one:)

Video... Yea,good idea, I better get some video huh?

Almost brought a trear to the eye..

My grandfather flew that very plane towards the end of his 36 year military service.

He was part of the H testing in Maryland as well as fielding in Vietnam prior to his retirement.

His plane was named The General's Daughter... but later just called The General.

Sweet pal...!

The one I have access too is called Thunder Pig. Kinda appropriate :)

Very nice!:eek: If it flies half as good as its looking your going to have a wonderful plane.

Yea, I'm kinda hoping it will be a nice flier. I tend to prefer a plan that flies well as opposed to a looker, but I have enough Sticks, Kadets, patter planes, I though I'd go for one that looks like a "real" plane. The 6ft B-29 I had flew great, and the wing had more taper and no washout; so I'm hoping this one flies even better.

Anyway here's some more progress.

2) 3) 4) 5) 1)
(note out of order. one of the pics didn't originally post.)

1) The nose cone needs to be hollowed too loose some weight. I was hoping to loose 1/2 the weight. I got it down to darn close to that. 12.5 ounces to start; 6.2 ounces when done. Remember way back on the first page I had a dot of glue in the center of the blocks. Well I just put a thin ruler in between the blocks, and pried the blocks apart.
2) Fuse blocks split apart
3) I marked 1" back from the edge.
4) close up of tool I "made" to mark the 1: around the curves. I just drilled a triangle for the pen tip.
5) Cutting out the center of the blocks. I didn't go up to the 1" line 'cause the edges were a little over sized. This is on the inside, so close is good enough.

CHELLIE
01-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi RCAV8R , I told a few people here that I was going to build a DR1 Fokker from 5mm foam, so David1234 and Kosh egged me on, ok I will give it a try, here is some progress made so far, the fuselage, elevator & rudder together, only weigh 1oz :rolleyes: my projected weight is under 24 oz, I Hope :p here is my build link. Your Cute Pink Plane is looking Very Nice. :D :D :D Take Care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15024

rcav8r
01-22-2007, 04:08 AM
Your Cute Pink Plane is looking Very Nice. :D :D :D Take Care, Chellie
You may laugh, but I had a pink (Circus Pink Monocote) Kougar for about 10 years. Was the easiest plane to see no matter what the sky conditions were. Also no chance of confusing it with anyone else's plane in the air :D I did run it off the edge of the runway in to some Crown Vetch in full bloom (ground cover w/ lots of clusters of pink flowers) once. I must have looked for that darned plane for 1/2 an hour :)

Anyway here's some more pics of the progress.
1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7)

1) I forgot to add this one to the previous post. Before I split the blocks for the nose, I marked all 4 sides so I could align it all back up later.
2)I cut a 1/8" inlay for the small bulkhead for the nose gear block.
3) Bulkhead and nose gear block in place. It is set off center as I will have 2 nose wheels, so the off set puts the coil on center, which will put the wheels on center.
4) Keeping weight on the pieces while the epoxy cures. I was curious how much weight I would loose ( well the plane anyway) if I hollowed on the tip of the nose (piece bottom left) . Well it was a whopping 0.2 ounces. Not worth the mess it created.
Also note the red outline on the piece on the bottom right. I put epoxy from the inside of the part to this line. This way no epoxy oozes out to where I'll be sanding. I didn't do this when I glued up the fuse, and the glue lines were a pain in the butt to sand. I'll probably dig that out, and fill with lightweight spackle as the glue lines are above the foam.
5) Newly lightened nose piece glued up and ready to attach to the fuse
6) Gluing to the fuse. I used masking tape as weighing it down was impractical.
7) Semi close up of nose glued and blended to fuse.

CHELLIE
01-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Hi rcav8r :) Pink or Not, your doing a Awesome job on it, that is a big project, it dwarfs my little DR1, and that is being a challenge, take care and have a great week, Chellie

stinkweed007
01-22-2007, 08:15 AM
because of the foam enormity... I can only imagine that your 123 will be very abuseable as well..

looking sweet

rea59
01-22-2007, 02:07 PM

My current build is balsa. Heck all my planes are balsa. Except one, I do have a "foamy" thats my favorite to fly just about anywhere. (kept the propulsion system out of the picture so as not to give away any secrets.) :D :D

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/rea59/Foamy.jpg

CHELLIE
01-23-2007, 03:42 AM
Hi RCAV8R :) do you think that a motor like this will be enough to power that C123 ? its a 4558 outrunner, rated at 1500 Watts, here is some info. on the picture, a icon will pop up to view the picture better, at the lower r/h corner, the reason I ask, is because, I ordered a smaller motor from e bay and they sent me this large motor, I have no use for it, and would like to donate it to the Build, Chellie

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-800rpm-v-1500W-D4558-RC-Brushless-Motor_W0QQitemZ200065300399QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3405 6QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Ps If anyone is looking for what I consider to be, the finest & fastest HYDRO FOAM, RTF for 199.00 or a kit for 35.00 ck out these links.

http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp?page=policy

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=125312#post125312

Keith wilson
01-23-2007, 04:25 AM
You may laugh, but I had a pink (Circus Pink Monocote) Kougar for about 10 years. Was the easiest plane to see no matter what the sky conditions were. Also no chance of confusing it with anyone else's plane in the air :D I did run it off the edge of the runway in to some Crown Vetch in full bloom (ground cover w/ lots of clusters of pink flowers) once. I must have looked for that darned plane for 1/2 an hour :)

Anyway here's some more pics of the progress.
1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7)

1) I forgot to add this one to the previous post. Before I split the blocks for the nose, I marked all 4 sides so I could align it all back up later.
2)I cut a 1/8" inlay for the small bulkhead for the nose gear block.
3) Bulkhead and nose gear block in place. It is set off center as I will have 2 nose wheels, so the off set puts the coil on center, which will put the wheels on center.
4) Keeping weight on the pieces while the epoxy cures. I was curious how much weight I would loose ( well the plane anyway) if I hollowed on the tip of the nose (piece bottom left) . Well it was a whopping 0.2 ounces. Not worth the mess it created.
Also note the red outline on the piece on the bottom right. I put epoxy from the inside of the part to this line. This way no epoxy oozes out to where I'll be sanding. I didn't do this when I glued up the fuse, and the glue lines were a pain in the butt to sand. I'll probably dig that out, and fill with lightweight spackle as the glue lines are above the foam.
5) Newly lightened nose piece glued up and ready to attach to the fuse
6) Gluing to the fuse. I used masking tape as weighing it down was impractical.
7) Semi close up of nose glued and blended to fuse.

Dave:

Were all watching GREAT! job!

...Keith...

CHELLIE
01-30-2007, 06:14 AM
OH NO, I hope this build thread did not die :)

stinkweed007
01-30-2007, 07:30 AM
nah... I think rcav is just takin a break... sometimes that darned 'life' thing takes sooo much time away from building..

Keith wilson
01-30-2007, 12:23 PM
nah... I think rcav is just takin a break... sometimes that darned 'life' thing takes sooo much time away from building..

Naw, It didnt die, Dave went to AZ for the Electric fun fly last weekend.

...Keith...

rcav8r
01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Yep, what Keith said... well not just for the Funfly. Went to visit the inlaws who are wintering over in Phx, and they just happened to have a fun fly while we were there :)
Actually sitting in the Phx airport getting ready to head home.

We also did the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and the Hoover Dam. At the Grand Canyon we saw 3 ram just hanging out on the ledge . Accoring to the ranger it is very rare for them to come up to the top of the rim

Until I get some more build pics going, here's some from the Arizona Electric Festival, and one of the kids w/ the one of the Ram at the Grand Canyon. Unfortunatly somehow the exposure compensation was set for +1 stop when I shot the Fun Fly pics so they are a bit washed out.

rcav8r
01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Hi RCAV8R :) do you think that a motor like this will be enough to power that C123 ? its a 4558 outrunner, rated at 1500 Watts, here is some info. on the picture, a icon will pop up to view the picture better, at the lower r/h corner, the reason I ask, is because, I ordered a smaller motor from e bay and they sent me this large motor, I have no use for it, and would like to donate it to the Build, Chellie

Chellie, thanks for the kind offer, but I'm thinking a little smaller. At the Arizona Electric Festival, I came across some new motors that are soon to be released. I forget the name now, but have the literature on it....but that is packed away in my luggage which is probably being sniffed by a bunch of dogs now :) I'll post the info once I look it up. The one I was looking at is said to be good for 350-400 Watts and is a mear 3 ounces. These motors appear to be well made, and are said to be very efficient. Well gotta run... They're boarding the plane now. Will post more on the motors later.

rcav8r
02-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Well after getting delayed a day in Cleveland due to snow, and getting back in the groove after the trip, finally got to work on the C123.

Did some work on the Landing Gear.

1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6)

1) routing the block for the gear. Will use 5/32 for the axel.
2) Getting ready to route the inlay for the LG block in the fuse. I taped the T bar to use as a guide
3) LG block mounted
4) I figuered I needed to brace the area where the LG block was as it was only 1" foam w/ 1/4" routed out. I cut a block to fit, and then ripped it at an angle to make 2 blocks. Saved 1/2 the weight over 2 solid blocks.
5) Routed out the wheel well area in the LG brace.
6 ) LG brace glued in place.

rcav8r
02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Next I cut out the control surfaces and lined with wood. Nothing too exciting here. :)

rcav8r
02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm guessing I could have gotten away with a but glue joint for the stab halves, but added a brace for extra insurance and little weight penalty.

1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6)

1) Tip: Use masking tape to keep epoxy away from where you don't want it. Here is the stab brace ready to glue.
2) I aligned them in their beds to ensure a stab with no dihedral/anhedral, and applied plenty of weight.
3) Stab mounted temporarily.

While sanding the fuse I got a little carried away at the tail. Tip: use very light pressure when sanding, and let the paper do the work. This will help avoid mistakes like this. I Cut the area out, glued in a filler block, and re-sanded.

4) over zealous sanding.
5) Filler block glued in place
6) re-sanded using a lighter touch

rcav8r
02-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Motor selection:
Well I still need to run some numbers through motocalc, but this looks like the motor I'll be using.
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpion_Motors/scorpion_motors%20jan18_007.htm

I spoke with the gentleman from innov8tive Designs at the Arizona Electric Festival , and this looks like it will be a good match. A tad over 4 ounces each, and good for 600 watts. I'm looking to get 400 watts from it and he says that should be no problem on 3S lipos. These motors look to be very high quality, and come with complete mounting hardware, and connectors for the ESCs. I also looked at their ESCs, and they look very well made, albe a bit large for the current they are capable of. Size shouldn't be a problem as I think I'll have plenty of room in the fues :)
I also asked about extending the motor leads or batter leads as there seems to be a lot of debate on this issue. He showed me a plane he had in a pusher config with the battery in the nose. Distance between them was about 5 foot. I don't think I'll need that kind of lenght, but it's nice to see this isn't a problem.
The 30mm motors aren't available yet, but I got the dimensions so I can start on the drawing for the nacels.

Keith wilson
02-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Motor selection:
Well I still need to run some numbers through motocalc, but this looks like the motor I'll be using.
http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/Scorpion_Motors/scorpion_motors%20jan18_007.htm

I spoke with the gentleman from innov8tive Designs at the Arizona Electric Festival , and this looks like it will be a good match. A tad over 4 ounces each, and good for 600 watts. I'm looking to get 400 watts from it and he says that should be no problem on 3S lipos. These motors look to be very high quality, and come with complete mounting hardware, and connectors for the ESCs. I also looked at their ESCs, and they look very well made, albe a bit large for the current they are capable of. Size shouldn't be a problem as I think I'll have plenty of room in the fues :)
I also asked about extending the motor leads or batter leads as there seems to be a lot of debate on this issue. He showed me a plane he had in a pusher config with the battery in the nose. Distance between them was about 5 foot. I don't think I'll need that kind of lenght, but it's nice to see this isn't a problem.
The 30mm motors aren't available yet, but I got the dimensions so I can start on the drawing for the nacels.

Dave:

Look interesting, where are they located?

...Keith...

rcav8r
02-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Dave:

Look interesting, where are they located?

...Keith...
Not sure... The guy running this is the guy who came up with the ball bearing servo conversions and the strong box. I still have some of his conversions from back in the early 90s, and after years of hard use, they are still nice and tight. I know he's from Michigan as when I asked if he will be at Toledo, he siad he was hoping, and usually visits his parents in MI while at Toledo. BTW, he said he's on a waiting list for Toledo, so not sure if he'll be there.

rcav8r
02-09-2007, 04:02 AM
Well I haven't been in the shop the past few days... been a bit cold. I did get the wings joined, but the Epoxy took 2 days to cure :eek:
Tip: If you live in a cold climate, and your shop gets cold, store you epoxy upstairs in the house. If not, it won't flow too well.

1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7)

1) Dang, it's cold
2)When I joined the wings, I used the beds to ensure a straight wing. When I cut it, I worked it out so the top was flat, and the dihedral was derived from the taper in the wing... Just like the full scale one.
for some odd reason the one bed was 1/6" higher than the other, so I shimmed the low one w/ some 1/16" balsa.
3) Placing Dihedral braces. Front small brace is a reinforcement for the LE dowels.
4) Another view of #3
5) To make sure the excess epoxy won't stick to the beds, place waxed paper or Monocote backing on the beds
6) Continuing the theme of using plenty of weight while gluing wing parts
7) Monocote backing on between the top of the wing, and top bed too. Also note the masking tape to keep epoxy off of the wing.

CHELLIE
02-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Well I haven't been in the shop the past few days... been a bit cold. I did get the wings joined, but the Epoxy took 2 days to cure :eek:
Tip: If you live in a cold climate, and your shop gets cold, store you epoxy upstairs in the house. If not, it won't flow too well.

1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7)

1) Dang, it's cold
2)When I joined the wings, I used the beds to ensure a straight wing. When I cut it, I worked it out so the top was flat, and the dihedral was derived from the taper in the wing... Just like the full scale one.
for some odd reason the one bed was 1/6" higher than the other, so I shimmed the low one w/ some 1/16" balsa.
3) Placing Dihedral braces. Front small brace is a reinforcement for the LE dowels.
4) Another view of #3
5) To make sure the excess epoxy won't stick to the beds, place waxed paper or Monocote backing on the beds
6) Continuing the theme of using plenty of weight while gluing wing parts
7) Monocote backing on between the top of the wing, and top bed too. Also note the masking tape to keep epoxy off of the wing.

Hi Dave, Get your self a wood stove/fire place or pellet stove out in your garage to keep warm, I had a wood stove/fireplace in my home when i lived in the high desert in victorville calif, it got into the teens there during the winter, and they work nice, also great for making coffee, tea, coffee & rum :D Take care, Chellie

rcav8r
02-27-2007, 10:30 PM
You guys probably thought I gave up on the C123, huh? :) YAaaa just too busy to post.

Chellie; I don't spend enough time in the shop to fire up a stove, and it only really gets that cold here a few days a year. Once it's out of the single digits, the shop is warm enough.

Anyway lots of progress, but to really enough that makes interesting pictures.
I did get the nacels built, and will wait until I get more of the wing finished before mounting. No need mounting them, just to knock them off moving the wing around. As it is now, I have to duck when I rotate the wing to work on it.

1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7) 8)

1) 4 2"x"x20" foam pieces for the Nacelles.
2) Applying epoxy to 2 of the pieces. Other 2 will go on top of these. Note that the epoxy doesn't go near the edges. I hotwired the square nacelles to a round shape so I didn't want to cut through the epoxy, and the epoxy makes for hard ridges when sanding (lesson learned when building the fuse)
3) Rough shaped nacelles mounted to the wing
4) before mounting to the wing, I had to cut a relief for the airfoil.
5) Next I separated the nacelle parts ( like I did with the nose) and hollowed out. I found a wire wheel on a dremel worked the best for this, but sure did create a mess! It was worth it though. Square nacelles weighed 3.6 ounces each. Once I was done shaping and hollowing, they now weigh 1.2 ounces each.
6) Almost finished nacelle. I'll cut to exact length once I figure out the motor size.

rcav8r
02-27-2007, 10:53 PM
I also made the elevator joiner. Nothing too exciting here. Then I cut out the ailerons/flaps. They too will get the same balsa facing that the tail parts did.

Note: Out of order pics. Problem with upload
1) 3) 4) 5) 6) )7
8) 2)

1) Forgot to include this with the nacel post. I tried something different for the templates. I used blue fan fold, and covered the "cutting" surface with aluminum tape. Held up better than I thought it would, but I had to be careful when cutting or the wire would dig into the soft foam. So far Formica is the best for making templates; but hay this is a learing project. :)
Here's how I made perfect circles with my band saw.
2) For joining the elevators I used the tried and true method. Center is wire I bent to fit in an 1/8" brass bearing tube. End pieces are 1/8" brass with the ends plugged. They will be glued into the foam as an extra bearing surface. Not sure if it's needed, but I feel better about it :)
3) Close up of outer parts in above pic. I sealed the ends with solder to keep the epoxy out,
4) Joiner assembly mounted in rear of stab
5) After the epoxy cured, I glued some scrap foam to fill the void. Note Elmers white glue. I found this better for gluing the foam in places like this. Sands easier than the Alpha wood glue I was using before and is plenty strong for stuff like this.
6) WHen cutting out the ailerons and flaps I had a brilliant idea :D Instead of making 2 cuts ( since I'm facing the parts w/ 1/16" balsa I need to remove about 3/16 of foam) make one. I taped 2 old hack saw blades togeather with a balsa space. Voliam one cut.
7) Cutting using the above tool
8) result

rcav8r
02-27-2007, 10:59 PM
Some more misc pics

1) Here's how I plan on lining up the nacelles to the wing to ensure they are square to the wing and each other.
2 & 3) I don't have the motors yet as they are not available yet, but here's a few shots of a smaller motor and ESC I got for an Airfoilz Edge I'm also working on. Note the really nice packaging. Motors include back plate mount, prop adapter, and bullet connectors for the motor and ESC.

Unbalanced prop
02-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Looking awful good Dave, but how you going to buy more stuff since you cut your credit card in half? ;)

Doug

rcav8r
02-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Gee thanks Doug.... Yea, but I can still read the numbers even if it's in 2 pieces ;)

Anyway I saw the boys from Airfoilz when I was in Arizona, and remembered how well yours flew when I flew it last summer, so I went ahead and got one. Couldn't resist :)

Unbalanced prop
02-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Anyway I saw the boys from Airfoilz when I was in Arizona, and remembered how well yours flew when I flew it last summer, so I went ahead and got one. Couldn't resist :)

Which one did you get? I have the Yak 54 and Mobius.

Doug

rcav8r
02-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Edge.... I'm partial to the Edge, and when I spoke w/ them out there, it seems like the edge fit my flying style :)
Do you remember which one of yours I flew?

airmail wf
02-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Are those EPP? I won a GP Flatout Extra 300S here on Wattflyer. Want to trade for that Airfoilz? Come on Dave you know you want to......Doug?:rolleyes: ;) :D

Unbalanced prop
02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Edge.... I'm partial to the Edge, and when I spoke w/ them out there, it seems like the edge fit my flying style :)
Do you remember which one of yours I flew?

I am pretty sure it had to be the Yak. I don't think I have seen you since I got the Mobius.
BTW: Have you run the Scorpion motor on the bench yet? Got any watts and amp numbers? It is a nice looking motor at a good price. I am thinking about a 2212-22.:rolleyes: Just what I need.........more motors.:D

Doug

ElectricFlyGuy
03-17-2007, 02:12 AM
I have just got to build one of these too!! Thanx for this thread! Scott;)

I've always liked big lumbering cargo planes, and always thought about building one. Well with the advent of electric power, and after reading Keith Sparks Building w/ Foam book, I decided on the C123.
* It is only a twin, (purchasing 2 outrunners is cheaper than 4 )
* It's a rather obsure plane...i.e. not another B-25 or C130.
As an added bonus, after I started work on the drawings and gathering materials, I found out that there is one about 5 minutes from my work. I passed twice a day on the way to and from work.

Anyway here are some random pictures of the process so far. I'll post more details of the construction if there is interest.

Edit: Pics
1) 2) 3) 4) 5)
6) 7) 8) 9)
1) rough cad drawing of 3view
2) kids holding the fuse for size refernce
3) wing and stab blanks 2 foot ruler for size reference
4) Gluing blocks for the nose
5) sides of nose block rough sanded
6) Nose bottom view outline
7) Getting read to cut wing w/ home made drap bar foam cutter
8) Fuse mock up. Will split fuse middle and tail to make 2 one inch sides.
9) gluing fuse middle

Also, how do you add comments to pictures?

rcav8r
03-22-2007, 03:28 AM
Hay EFG... let me know if you need any drawings. Mine aren't exactly user ready, but should get ya started.

Speaking of progress, still making progress, but nothing worth taking/posting pics of. Right now I'm working out how do get suedo fowler flaps using Robart Hing points. Problem is there is a flap on either side of the engone cowle, and I'm having some binding issues that need worked out.

Wing mounting stuff has been installed as are the servo rails in the fuse.

Also I'm gonna order some pull-pull hardware and some wire managemnet stuff (spiral wrap) and the fuse should be just about wrapped up once I get that stuff in. I still have to cut a hatch for battery access. I'm really apprehensive about cutting into that nice fuse, but it has to be done.
I'll be ordering a ton of the stuff sas I can get it in bulk, so if anybody needs Pull pull cables/sheaths and sprial wrap, let me know

stinkweed007
03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
so when are we gonna see this Killer Whale in the air? I know I have been watching and wanting to see it fly!!

ElectricFlyGuy
03-22-2007, 10:37 PM
I would like any drawings as soon as you think they would be usable to me. I think, with measurements, etc.,I should be ok. You have posted some great pics though. How close are you to getting this baby in the air? Any current build pics ready yet? Also where you located your CG would be great . Also, did you use bamboo skewers or carbon tubes for strenghth,etc.? I hear they(skewers) are very strong in strengthening all areas of an airplane. Thank-You for getting back to me. Very nice job you are doing there. Sincerely, Scott.( TheNascarDude@aol.com ).

Hay EFG... let me know if you need any drawings. Mine aren't exactly user ready, but should get ya started.

Speaking of progress, still making progress, but nothing worth taking/posting pics of. Right now I'm working out how do get suedo fowler flaps using Robart Hing points. Problem is there is a flap on either side of the engone cowle, and I'm having some binding issues that need worked out.

Wing mounting stuff has been installed as are the servo rails in the fuse.

Also I'm gonna order some pull-pull hardware and some wire managemnet stuff (spiral wrap) and the fuse should be just about wrapped up once I get that stuff in. I still have to cut a hatch for battery access. I'm really apprehensive about cutting into that nice fuse, but it has to be done.
I'll be ordering a ton of the stuff sas I can get it in bulk, so if anybody needs Pull pull cables/sheaths and sprial wrap, let me know

stinkweed007
03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
rcav... I was wondering how I was going to do my batts as well, but I am putting them in a vented compartment inside the fuselage, then hinging my main wing to the fuselage so I can lift the wing like a hood for batt swapping..

rcav8r
04-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Huh I didn't get any emails that there was a responce here ( a problem I've had w/ WattFlyer) , but stumbled across them when looking for something else.

Anyway here's a quick update. No new pics as it basically still looks like it did in earlier posts.
* Basic airframe is done except for the Nacels. I need to cut them to lenght before I glue them to the wing. But I need the motors before I know how long to make the Nacels. I built them on the long side as I didn't know what motors I was going to use when I made them.
* Alll surfaces are hinged, but I was unable to get the fowler like flap action, so I went with a "normal" flap. Trying to get the Fowler flap action using 1 servo for 2 flaps ( they are split by the nacel) killed about a week, and I still couldn't get it to work. If the flap was about an inch longer it would have worked.
* Also started to fill in all the dings in the foam. Boy the smallest little anything on your bench will create a huge ding.
* Fuse servos are in. Doing PullPull for the tail surfaces.
* I have the FG cloth, but will need finishing resin. Locally it's $25.00 for a kit...I'll pick some up at Toledo.
* Hatch is cut, and framed in balsa... (note to self, take pic and post ;) )Boy that was hard making the first kit in the nice smooth fuse.

* CG.. Well not exactly sure yet. Will probably go for 25% of MAC to start.
* Bamboo skewers... only place I plan on using them is to strenghten the tail/fuse joint. I added a movable rudder to my B-29, and didn't strengthen...1st flight was cut short due to a loose V.fin, so I'm kinda gun shy with that big fin/rudder only being butt glued to the fuse. Yea, I've used the bamboo skewers a lot in the past and they add an amazing amount of strength with very little weight. Wing does have 1/4" spruce spars top and bottom so it should have plenty of strnght.

* Battery cooling... yea I thought about it... didn't do anything about it yet though :) I figure if I go overboard on the ratings of the batteries (i.e. use a 20C pack when 10c would be fine) I SHOULD be OK for cooling. I WILL be checking the temp on the first few flights. If the temp isn't OK, I have a few small muffin fans I can put in there to get the air moving around, and not have to worry about cutting the inlet holes so they aren't so obvious.
Batts will go in a large hatch ahead of the LE of the wing.
Reasoning for not worrying (too much) about cooling... I use the same packs for my Fancy Foam Edge and for my Formosa, and they draw about the same current. On the FF Edge the pack is hanging out in the breeze, and in the Formosa they are wedged in the fuse with no hope of getting air flow. Temp on the packs at the end of a flight is darn near the same for both planes.

As far as CAD drawings. Since I didn't get emails that there were replies, I thougth there was no interest ;) Seriously, I'll pull those off my laptop tonight when I get home. Autocad format OK?

stinkweed007
04-04-2007, 03:11 PM
well you might concider (in the hole cutting arena) cutting the cockpit windows out as vents then putting some mesh in their place, this would allow air in which you could easily channel into your battery compartment then out a similar painted mesh in the rear of the craft.. just a thought..

rcav8r
05-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Well I finally got the CAD files posted. Sorry for the delay.
They are here: http://gparcs.daveandkristi.com/docs/c123.zip
Progress is progressing, slowly, but progressing.
I have the motors, and they are mounted. I made my first attempt at making fiberglass parts and they ( the cowls) came out pretty darned good if I say so myself :)
Wing is 99.9% ready to cover and fuse is 98.6% ready to cover.

Hay Stink... Thanks for the tip on cooling. I was staring at the fuse a while ago, and was thinking the same thing. I have some thin plastic to make some duct work. May include a fan just to make sure the air move through the fuse.

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 12:04 AM
and a silly idea (partial to a little spare part project I am doing) cowlings for engine compartments can be made by cutting the top and bottom off soda bottles.. so you have a nice rounded tube.. the problem is finding one the right size.. just an idea I am playing with, you dont need to use it if you have better plans..

when are your next pics gonna be posted..?

Bill G
05-08-2007, 07:19 PM
While sanding the fuse, I got a little carried away at the tail. Tip: use very light pressure when sanding, and let the paper do the work. This will help avoid mistakes like this. I Cut the area out, glued in a filler block, and re-sanded.

Nice work! I'll have to look at this Scale forum more often.
The tail reminds me of my Cox to Arado16/43-19 conversion. I built a foam "glove" to fit the tail, and reshaped it.
Hey, we keep the filler people in business.:D

Bill

CHELLIE
06-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Waiting on Pins & Needles to see this plane in the air :ws: ;-) take care, Chellie

Ps Use PINK covering on the Plane :silly:

rcav8r
06-12-2007, 04:51 AM
Yea, you and me both :) Still at the stage of ready to glass. Tons of stuff going on that was a bit unexpected. My mom's 93 year old sister ( aka my aunt) wondered away from home a few months ago, so my wife and I have been busy getter her set up in an alzheimer's home, helping to take care of the various assorted things that go along with that, and taking my mom for visits....
So with that and the weather turning really nice, it's been hard to do anything inside....

Unbalanced prop
06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Yea, you and me both :) Still at the stage of ready to glass. Tons of stuff going on that was a bit unexpected. My mom's 93 year old sister ( aka my aunt) wondered away from home a few months ago, so my wife and I have been busy getter her set up in an alzheimer's home, helping to take care of the various assorted things that go along with that, and taking my mom for visits....
So with that and the weather turning really nice, it's been hard to do anything inside....

Hi Dave.............You going to be able to make the elcectric fun fly??

Doug

Keith wilson
06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi Dave.............You going to be able to make the elcectric fun fly??

Doug

Doug:

He is going to help me out with the events.

...Keith...

Unbalanced prop
06-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Doug:

He is going to help me out with the events.

...Keith...

COOL:tc: What time are the activities starting?

rcav8r
06-22-2007, 04:22 AM
YEp, I can only make one day, so I'm going to sip the EAA Fly-in at the museum, and head down your way....
Last I heard I was going to assist Kieth.... Just not sure with what yet....

See yinz guys Sat.

firemanbill
06-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Cool! We'll see you guys there too! Look for our tent, we'll have a Wattflyer license plate hanging off the front of it!

We are leaving here tomorrow afternoon and will stay on the road somewhere close tomorrow night.

See ya Saturday morning!:ws:

Keith wilson
06-22-2007, 04:45 AM
Cool! We'll see you guys there too! Look for our tent, we'll have a Wattflyer license plate hanging off the front of it!

We are leaving here tomorrow afternoon and will stay on the road somewhere close tomorrow night.

Getting everything ready for you Bill.

...Keith...

Unbalanced prop
06-22-2007, 01:21 PM

COOL..........looking forward to meeting you Bill!!

Doug

firemanbill
06-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Same here Doug.

One of the coolest times I have had in the past few years was going to SEFF and meeting some of the fellow Wattflyer dudes. Now we get to some up there and meet a whole bunch more!

Loading up the truck now!

rcav8r
06-30-2007, 04:40 AM
Hay Keith; THANKS for a great time. As usual it was an EXCELLENT event!!! Very well run. You have a great club.
Hay Bill... Great meeting you and your son. Hope to see you two at next years event.
Some pics from the event here:
http://www.gparcs.com/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2650

And back to the C123... Here's some pics from a fellow club member. This is the first time I got to see it in the air. I'll be heading to this event tomorrow (Saturday).
http://www.gparcs.com/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2652

Keith wilson
06-30-2007, 04:59 AM
Hay Keith; THANKS for a great time. As usual it was an EXCELLENT event!!! Very well run. You have a great club.
Hay Bill... Great meeting you and your son. Hope to see you two at next years event.
Some pics from the event here:
http://www.gparcs.com/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2650

And back to the C123... Here's some pics from a fellow club member. This is the first time I got to see it in the air. I'll be heading to this event tomorrow (Saturday).
http://www.gparcs.com/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2652

Hey Dave, Doug,Ed,Bill, Azarr, andall the rest who were there. Thanks for the kind words, We had 49 registered pilots. I was dog tired at the end of Sunday LOL!.

...Keith...

CHELLIE
07-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Hi :) Any more progress on the 8 foot C123 Build, would love to see this Big Bird in the air, Take care, Chellie

RC_Kiwi
09-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Make sure get a video of the maiden!!

dmmalish
12-29-2007, 05:31 PM
hey has it been completed yet??????????????????????????

rcav8r
01-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Geesh Wattflyer is still not sending me emails on posts to the thread. Anyway with the nice weather and various family things going on, and a vacation to Hawaii (pics here: http://gallery.daveandkristi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=138)
progress on the C123 WAS slow... It's picked up quite a bit now though. It is basically built. Wing and all the small bits have been glassed. Just ordered more glass for the fuse (Gee I thought 5 yards would have been enough) so that should be done before too long. I've been testing props for the motors on an Eflight Stick 25 I assembled late summer.
I was also "elected" the team photographer for my kids swim team, so my Saturdays are full. Proud dad plug; my Daughter qualified for Junior Olympics :D
I'm REALLY hoping for the test hop to be this spring.
I have some pics to post, and will try to get them posted before too long.

dmmalish
01-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Geesh Wattflyer is still not sending me emails on posts to the thread. Anyway with the nice weather and various family things going on, and a vacation to Hawaii (pics here: http://gallery.daveandkristi.com/main.php?g2_itemId=138)
progress on the C123 WAS slow... It's picked up quite a bit now though. It is basically built. Wing and all the small bits have been glassed. Just ordered more glass for the fuse (Gee I thought 5 yards would have been enough) so that should be done before too long. I've been testing props for the motors on an Eflight Stick 25 I assembled late summer.
I was also "elected" the team photographer for my kids swim team, so my Saturdays are full. Proud dad plug; my Daughter qualified for Junior Olympics :D
I'm REALLY hoping for the test hop to be this spring.
I have some pics to post, and will try to get them posted before too long.

thanks for the update and those vacation pictures were nice looks like you had a great vacation

rcav8r
01-09-2008, 05:10 AM
No problem.. :) Vacation was a blast. Rained like crazy and hit 2 tropical storms, but it was still nice.

Anyway here are some pics of the progress.

1) Making a mold for the cowl
2) Mold w/ foam plug
3) Cowl layup
4) Cutting the cowl evenly
5) How I center a circle..in this case the firewall
6) Kids w/ the "framed up" plane
7) Another shot better showing size

Unbalanced prop
01-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow Dave...........LOOKING GOOD!!!:D:cool:

Doug

dmmalish
01-09-2008, 08:58 PM
can't wait to see the video of that one wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug

pvtzemerak
01-10-2008, 01:51 AM
wow... thats insane

Bill G
01-10-2008, 02:05 AM
Are you sure that you trust the kids to hold that up, at its size?:D

rcav8r
01-17-2008, 03:57 AM

Doug
Gee thanks UBP... You'll need to make a trip to the ARCS to see it. There's no reason I can think of (right now anyway; subject to change ;)) that I won't have it for Keith's Funfly in June...

can't wait to see the video of that one wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yea, you and me both :D

wow... thats insane

Na.. the 50 foot foamy over on ezone is insane :)
Are you sure that you trust the kids to hold that up, at its size?:D

Gee they seemed like nice kids who were just walking by ;) It's maybe 5 pounds in that pic..

Anyway got the glass earlier this week, and started glassing. Fuse is about 3/4 glassed now. Here's a pic of the early glassing stage.
Wing along with the tanks in bkg are all glassed and ready to paint. I also picked up a g20 ounce gravity feed spray gun at Harbor Freight over the weekend for $9.00 It was regularly $40.00 so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

Alpea42
01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
This is a long ongoing project huh .But really cool I too love large foamys .The B-2 is 95" w. s. carved and shaped outta multiple laminated sheets of 1 1/2 " poly insul. foam.Have tried gliding it and it does glide.Might some day power it but not probably w/ edfs.The pattern bird is a Dow 1/4" protection board FFF, 48" w. s. copy of my E-Flight Diamante 25 E. I made its wing as a built up hollow wing with the FFF folded around the leading edge.

Alpea42
01-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Heck ,I like small foamys too. Here's the Shumate F-14 Tomcat.Attempted a maiden last weekend ,got a good launch from a buddy but I suffered "BRAIN FREEZE" and forgot to apply throttle.Good thing !!!!!It landed straight ahead 40 ft. with tailerons glitching like crazy.So I've changed the Rx and it's go for launch

RC_Kiwi
01-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey does that F-14 have working swing wings?

rcav8r
01-26-2008, 04:12 AM
Hay Alp. Nice planes..thanks for posting.

Progress is slow and steady....
Anyway the whole thing is glassed and has 2 coats of WBPU. Almost ready for paint.

1) glassing the fuse.
2) WATER based Poly and 1/16" balsa =one really warped fin. One side glassed here.
3) Some clamping after applying the glass on the other side....
4) ...Gives a straight fin.
5)Even a nice new sharp razor blade gives fuzzies when trimming the glass. luckily a few swipes of 120 grit paper makes it smooth as a baby's behind.(Sorry forgot to take a pic, but it is really smooth)
6) Finishing up the last coat of WBPU on the fuse. (note shine of wet WBPU)

rcav8r
02-18-2008, 12:11 AM
More progress (along with a few other projects....)
1) Made a set of poor mans brakes. I don't imagine they will be needed, but always wanted brakes on a plane. Servo will pull a home made bell crank that will put pressure on the wire.
2) Making the ply plate for the cowl round.
3) Nice fit to the cowl
4 & 5) Motor w/ cowl
6) Front wheels
7) Used a laser to find the center of the cowls for cutting out. Shown not exactly centered, but it was when I marked it :)

firemanbill
02-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Looks good Bud! What size motors do you have in it?

alienx
02-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Really nice plane!

rcav8r
06-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Well you all thought I forgot about this plane, huh? ;)
Anyway finally got it in the air today. Had a minor glitch, and the maiden almost didn't happen. The BEC( UBEC) decided to quit working as I was prepping it for flight. Glad it picked then to die, and not after take off. A buddy lent me a flight pack for the radio, and off she went.
Unlike the customary magazine review taxi testing, I just lined it up, and went for it. A little wobble on the take off run (I'm guessing due to the narrow track, and a slight cross wind), but it lifted off before full throttle, and it flew right off the board as they say. No trims needed. Flaps (1/2 and full) required no elevator compensation.
It's very comfortable at 1/2 throttle ( Like I was shooting for). Full throttle in level straight flight caused some hunting, and needed a touch of down. Ihad to limit the rudder throw so it didn't interfere with the elevator, but it was still very effective. Turns nice with rudder. Also turns nice with ailerons, but cordinated turns look much better.
Landing is almost too easy, but getting a really pretty one will take some practice. There is no give in the landing gear, so it has a tendancy to bounce a bit if not careful.
Not sure why, but it doesn't like a cross wind too much. Seems to have plenty of rudder/aileron, but it gets all funny when cross controlling. Nose pitches up which is kinda weird.

Hay Bill, sorry I didn't answer the question on the motors but I don't seem to get emails from wattflyer when there is a post here. They are Scorpion 3014-16s. I forgot to get the amp reading (went to when the radio didn't work, and then forgot before the first flight once I got it working again), but after a 6 minute flight ethey were pulling 838 watts on a 3S pack. Already packed the watt meter away for the 2nd flight. Are you going to the Mon Valley Electric Fun Fly this weekend? The C123 will be there.

Never did get an all up weight as the batteries in my scale died when I went to check after it was all togeather. From the weight of the individual pieces, I'm guessing 8# to 9# Power to weight is certainally not a problem. It is comfortably powered.

Anway here are a few in-flight pics. Hope to have video posted sometime this week.
More here | http://gallery.gparcs.com/main.php?g2_itemId=932&g2_page=3

CHELLIE
06-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Congrats on the Maiden, and getting her done, Nice pics too, Take care, Chellie

Keith wilson
06-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Well you all thought I forgot about this plane, huh? ;)
Anyway finally got it in the air today. Had a minor glitch, and the maiden almost didn't happen. The BEC( UBEC) decided to quit working as I was prepping it for flight. Glad it picked then to die, and not after take off. A buddy lent me a flight pack for the radio, and off she went.
Unlike the customary magazine review taxi testing, I just lined it up, and went for it. A little wobble on the take off run (I'm guessing due to the narrow track, and a slight cross wind), but it lifted off before full throttle, and it flew right off the board as they say. No trims needed. Flaps (1/2 and full) required no elevator compensation.
It's very comfortable at 1/2 throttle ( Like I was shooting for). Full throttle in level straight flight caused some hunting, and needed a touch of down. Ihad to limit the rudder throw so it didn't interfere with the elevator, but it was still very effective. Turns nice with rudder. Also turns nice with ailerons, but cordinated turns look much better.
Landing is almost too easy, but getting a really pretty one will take some practice. There is no give in the landing gear, so it has a tendancy to bounce a bit if not careful.
Not sure why, but it doesn't like a cross wind too much. Seems to have plenty of rudder/aileron, but it gets all funny when cross controlling. Nose pitches up which is kinda weird.

Hay Bill, sorry I didn't answer the question on the motors but I don't seem to get emails from wattflyer when there is a post here. They are Scorpion 3014-16s. I forgot to get the amp reading (went to when the radio didn't work, and then forgot before the first flight once I got it working again), but after a 6 minute flight ethey were pulling 838 watts on a 3S pack. Already packed the watt meter away for the 2nd flight. Are you going to the Mon Valley Electric Fun Fly this weekend? The C123 will be there.

Never did get an all up weight as the batteries in my scale died when I went to check after it was all togeather. From the weight of the individual pieces, I'm guessing 8# to 9# Power to weight is certainally not a problem. It is comfortably powered.

Anway here are a few in-flight pics. Hope to have video posted sometime this week.
More here | http://gallery.gparcs.com/main.php?g2_itemId=932&g2_page=3

Dave

You bringing it to my Fun Fly this coming week? Also the WTTM Moth will be there on display,before Doug takes it to the AMA Museum.

...Keith...

firemanbill
06-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Nice Dave! Very nice!:D

rea59
06-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Great job! Beautiful plane!

rcav8r
06-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Thanks guys..... Hope to have some video posted soon. Next is getting some details on the thing; and finding a better way to keep the hatch on. Hope no one noticed the extra "vent" in the pics ;)
Yep, Keith, the C123 should be there this weekend. Hope the grass is short :-)

Next event I hope to take the C123 to is an EAA Fly in in July that the full scale one will be at. Last year was the first (and so far only time) I got to see it fly. Man what a sight...and sound...and feeling (the ground was shaking when they fired up the engines). Mine doesn't have the same effect. I don't think they'll let me do any formation flying, but I do hope to get some pics w/ the full scale bird.
Pics here: C123 scatter throughout, and some prep and take off pics later in the album.
http://gallery.gparcs.com/main.php?g2_itemId=540

If anyone is in the neighborhood, please stop by. July 12th. All day w/ fireworks in the evening.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=40.35813,-80.699413&spn=0.003859,0.009398&t=h&z=17&msid=111493296430359965240.00044fd45d435cee245e4

TylerJCooper
06-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Amazing build. Very inspiring!

rcav8r
06-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Flew the C123 at the Cedar Creek Fun Fly. Thanks for hosting the event Keith, great time as always. Nice to see Firemanbill and his son.
Unfortunately ( hate to see that word in a flight report huh, ;) ) the C123 lost an engine... literally. Remember in the prior pics how the hatch was inching open? Well it appears those funs I have in the fuse do a little more than move the air, they help keep the hatch on. I didn't run the fans as this was a grass field and I was unsure how the fans would react in the grass, but I did tape on the hatch. After a few touch and goes, the hatch popped off right after take off, and went through the right engine, and broke the prop. Before I had a chance to shut the engine down the vibration tore off the right nacel at the LE of the wing.

Simple dead stick landing ( something I didn't think I would do with an electric plane) and all was well. A little 5 minute epoxy and it will be as good as new... well that and some patch work were the prop chewed through the hatch.

Anyway here are some pics from the event.
http://gallery.gparcs.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1060

Bill/Keith, please let me know if you want any of the pics in full res ( all 8 Meg worth) Quality is a lot better than in the gallery.

firemanbill
06-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Dave that first shot of the Airliner with the real one in the background is awesome! Super sweet pic!

All of those are great shots.:D:cool:

Larry3215
08-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Dont know how I missed this thread before - awesome build!