PDA

View Full Version : I want something fast ! !

skychaser
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
My previous fast planes, over 22 years have been fuel planes. I want to go out in my big backyard and toss something ! Something electric ! It doesn't have to fly 20 minutes either.
I guess what I have previously flown, sorta fast was a GLH2 and Falcon 56. and Phaeton Bipe,i'm ready for the fast lane ! Suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Jason T
12-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Give us a few requirements like how much you would want to spend and if you already have a power system in mind? SoaringUSA.com has a lot of great pylon racers from the speed 400 class upto F5D class that are smokin' fast.
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/subcategory.htm?category_id=265

For sp400 size, some of the more popular are the Sokol, Quick and the Sunracer.

Sky Sharkster
12-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Helo Skychaser, Welcome to Wattflyer! How big is your backyard? If it's like a "Sports Complex" of several Soccer fields you could fly a brushless Stryker, they're about 60mph with the stock B/L and maybe 70mph with an upgrade. This is a 3 channel delta wing, looks like a military jet, elevons and throttle.
Faster? More aerobatic? See this link; http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3804
This model, with the recommended Mega 4 turn is a rocket! Fiberglass fuselage, built-up wings with composite reinforcement. Not to hard to fly with control throws set on "low". Faster than any Stryker I've seen.
Even more speed? Don't care about aerobatics? Well, if you have a huge field, great eyesight and reflexes like lightning, go here; http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2864
Clear the decks! Not for the faint-of-heart. Not too hard to fly with 1/32" elevator throw and 1/16" aileron throw (I'm not kidding!). The Mega 3 turn or a Neu 1100 will put you over the century mark before the first turn. All composite, hollow molded, living hinges. This model glides faster than a Stryker at full throttle.
To go much faster, you'll need one of two things; A BIG slope and a dynamic-soaring all-composite sailplane, or an extra $700-$1000 for a Hotliner.
Good Luck and hang on!
Ron

skychaser
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Give us a few requirements like how much you would want to spend and if you already have a power system in mind? SoaringUSA.com has a lot of great pylon racers from the speed 400 class upto F5D class that are smokin' fast.
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/subcategory.htm?category_id=265

For sp400 size, some of the more popular are the Sokol, Quick and the Sunracer.
Jason, I have a Astro 05 Cobalt direct drive, and Astro 035 are the biggest motors I have . Is the 05 similar to the 400 ? I'll take a look at the planes you mentioned. I don't need 150 mph though :) not for awile anyway lol.

skychaser
12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Helo Skychaser, Welcome to Wattflyer! How big is your backyard? If it's like a "Sports Complex" of several Soccer fields you could fly a brushless Stryker, they're about 60mph with the stock B/L and maybe 70mph with an upgrade. This is a 3 channel delta wing, looks like a military jet, elevons and throttle.
Faster? More aerobatic? See this link; http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3804
This model, with the recommended Mega 4 turn is a rocket! Fiberglass fuselage, built-up wings with composite reinforcement. Not to hard to fly with control throws set on "low". Faster than any Stryker I've seen.
Even more speed? Don't care about aerobatics? Well, if you have a huge field, great eyesight and reflexes like lightning, go here; http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2864
Clear the decks! Not for the faint-of-heart. Not too hard to fly with 1/32" elevator throw and 1/16" aileron throw (I'm not kidding!). The Mega 3 turn or a Neu 1100 will put you over the century mark before the first turn. All composite, hollow molded, living hinges. This model glides faster than a Stryker at full throttle.
To go much faster, you'll need one of two things; A BIG slope and a dynamic-soaring all-composite sailplane, or an extra $700-$1000 for a Hotliner.
Good Luck and hang on!
Ron
Ron, I have about 2 acres clear. Theres 40 acres beside me that is usually planted in corn or beans. No clear approach to my 2 acres. Those are nice planes you mentioned. I think they(mega4) might be a little fast for me lol..I was a little vague in my post after 12 hrs at work.I guess what I am really looking for is something like the GLH only faster and I can hand toss it.
thanks Dana

CGFlyer
12-05-2006, 07:49 PM
The multiplex fun jet or minijet are hand tossers and have great speed, especially with a few kickups.

skychaser
12-05-2006, 10:55 PM
The multiplex fun jet or minijet are hand tossers and have great speed, especially with a few kickups.
Thx CG ! I'll take a look at them when I get home.At work now :)

skychaser
12-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Helo Skychaser, This is a 3 channel delta wing, looks like a military jet, elevons and throttle.
This model, with the recommended Mega 4 turn is a rocket!
Good Luck and hang on!
Ron
Ron , that Denon is looks great !! I like it because it's more aerobatic of the two. I casually mentioned it to my wife and she casually mentioned how much I have spent the last 2 months lol. I have went overboard a little. I do have a big box of balsa and some motors and radio equipment. I might try and and some plans for something similar for now.
thx again for your help
dana

Sky Sharkster
12-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Hi Dana, glad to help if I can. Your Astro Cobalt 05 is bigger and more powerful than a "Speed 400", by about 50% in fact. It's like a "Speed 550-600" in output. The .035 is similar to a "400" in output and weight. Is it geared? If so it will use a bigger prop than a direct-drive 400. I believe if you write to Astro Flight they can help you with possible model sizes and weights for the motors.
I thought of another plane that might be suitable for what you're looking for, it's a kit, foam wings, simple box fuselage, sheet balsa tail. You can make it 3 or 4 channel, I've flown several with ailerons, elevator and throttle. Used everything from a direct-drive "Speed 400" to hot brushless, never any problems. It's also been flown (not by me) with a small outrunner, front-mounted.
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/ACE4244.htm
It's called the Simple 400 and ACE makes other versions, basically the same model but trimmed to look like an Me 109, P-51D Mustang, Extra 230, AT-6 Texan, Corsair. A couple of simple mods and it's ready to go; Drill out the plywood (glow engine) firewall and mount the electric motor behind it (front-mounted motor). Then ditch the overly-complicated aileron linkage and use a regular wing mounted servo and torque rods like the GLH. This is a very stable, good flying and sturdy electric airplane and will handle all the power you can afford! Another nice feature, the kit costs about $30.00. Replacement wings are $10.00.
Another choice for you!
Ron

skychaser
12-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Dana, glad to help if I can. Your Astro Cobalt 05 is bigger and more powerful than a "Speed 400", by about 50% in fact. It's like a "Speed 550-600" in output. The .035 is similar to a "400" in output and weight. Is it geared? If so it will use a bigger prop than a direct-drive 400. I believe if you write to Astro Flight they can help you with possible model sizes and weights for the motors.
I thought of another plane that might be suitable for what you're looking for, it's a kit, foam wings, simple box fuselage, sheet balsa tail. You can make it 3 or 4 channel, I've flown several with ailerons, elevator and throttle. Used everything from a direct-drive "Speed 400" to hot brushless, never any problems. It's also been flown (not by me) with a small outrunner, front-mounted.
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/ACE4244.htm
It's called the Simple 400 and ACE makes other versions, basically the same model but trimmed to look like an Me 109, P-51D Mustang, Extra 230, AT-6 Texan, Corsair. A couple of simple mods and it's ready to go; Drill out the plywood (glow engine) firewall and mount the electric motor behind it (front-mounted motor). Then ditch the overly-complicated aileron linkage and use a regular wing mounted servo and torque rods like the GLH. This is a very stable, good flying and sturdy electric airplane and will handle all the power you can afford! Another nice feature, the kit costs about $30.00. Replacement wings are $10.00.
Another choice for you!
Ron
Ron, that is a nice plane. Looks like GLH, without the sweptback wings and a rudder added. I have been thinking, lol, that I could build me another GLH, only with a little thinner airfoil, for speed. Lighter fusalage, for speed :) and throw that 05 cobalt direct drive in there,for speed or should I go with the 035(not cobalt ?) I still have my GLH plans. And plans are meant to be modified :) and a big box of Sig balsa. Of yeah, a friend of mine gave me an arm load full of contest balsa, still wrapped in plastic.. Isn't life great ! !
dana

Sky Sharkster
12-08-2006, 11:17 AM
HI Dana, The "GLH" would be a good model for the .035, in fact just about any lightweight 1/2A can be flown with a "Speed 400" electric or comparable brushless. The .05 is way too big and heavy for that plane, it's more like a .10-.15 glow.
I'd be careful regarding thinning the airfoil for a couple of reasons; First, you're going to have problems making a thinner wing as strong as the original, you could easily develop flutter or flex problems. Also, a thinner airfoil doesn't always make the model go faster. After a certain point (and the GLH already has a thin airfoill) the airfoill doesn't have enough camber to develop the necessary lift to fly the model properly and the motor has to work harder to overcome this. The motor is literally dragging the model through the air without much help from the wing. Think of a flat plate or sheet wing; Yes, they're thin, but no lift! So the pilot has to compensate with a little "up" elevator to create an angle of attack that generates more lift. Result; More drag!
I think if you build the model stock it will still fly faster than a glow version. Less drag, there's no glow cylinder head hanging out in front.
If you try the GLH (stock, with the .035) and like that type model, you could then easily try a composite or partial-composite pylon racer next. The Sokol or other pylon models on the Esprit or NESail site would be a good upgrade.
Good Luck!
Ron

skychaser
12-08-2006, 11:51 PM
HI Dana, The "GLH" would be a good model for the .035, in fact just about any lightweight 1/2A can be flown with a "Speed 400" electric or comparable brushless. The .05 is way too big and heavy for that plane, it's more like a .10-.15 glow.
I'd be careful regarding thinning the airfoil for a couple of reasons; First, you're going to have problems making a thinner wing as strong as the original, you could easily develop flutter or flex problems. Also, a thinner airfoil doesn't always make the model go faster. After a certain point (and the GLH already has a thin airfoill) the airfoill doesn't have enough camber to develop the necessary lift to fly the model properly and the motor has to work harder to overcome this. The motor is literally dragging the model through the air without much help from the wing. Think of a flat plate or sheet wing; Yes, they're thin, but no lift! So the pilot has to compensate with a little "up" elevator to create an angle of attack that generates more lift. Result; More drag!
I think if you build the model stock it will still fly faster than a glow version. Less drag.
Good Luck!
Ron
Ron, I see what you mean about the airfoil. I doubt if there would be enuff increase in speed to justifly the possible flutter and drag. I could go with a thinner and lighter fuselage, built just for the 035. I bet there would be a nice speed improvement. I'm thinking that I've flown the Goes like Heck (H##l) long enough ,15 yrs. Time for a new model :)
thx again dana

thunder 21
01-09-2007, 07:11 AM
I just got a cheetah for christmas from the wife she bought it on line from some canadian company who charged her 40 bucks to mutch and when I opened the box the wingtip was cracked because the box was 2 small so i have 2 pay 30 bucks shiping 2 return it 4 a replacment...stay away from canadian cheetahers..my freind bought a baudis quick it came with a warped wing the usa suplier sent him a new wing free of charge and that plane cost 1/2 of what a jispro cheetah costs.....im just a little mad