PDA

View Full Version : new hobbyco up star 2 meter sailp

CORVETTER89
12-05-2006, 04:24 PM
has anyone flown the hobbyco upstar 2/m elec? trying to find out how this plane flys, build ease, etc. anyone with any experience with this plane .. let me know how well you did or did not like it.... keep um up!......vetter:)

TheOldGuy
12-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Well Corvetter89, the Upstar went together very easily with included parts, but when I took it to the field, the poor thing barely flew:mad: . My buddy hand lanched it for me and it was a real struggle to keep it in the air and the climb rate was really bad if any...it barely flys:o !!
I gutted it yesterday and am installing an AXI 2217/20 motor, Jeti 18 plus (got the combo price and saved a bunch), PolyQuest 3 cell 1200 11.1 volts and a 12x6.5 folding prop.
According to the folks at AXI, this is the combo that will make it climb, fly and put me in the clouds. No more disappointments:rolleyes:
I decided to not buy anything that comes with a motor, etc. because they're so cheep and powerless, your a lot better off buying the plane seperately and adding the electronics yourself.
It will cost you a little more, but when you go to the field and find out that the motor that came with it would make a really good Pepsi can, the extra money doesn't seem so bad!!:eek:

CORVETTER89
12-20-2006, 02:00 AM
may i ask where you obtained the folding prop you got for your power sys.? i cant find anything above a 8x5 in the folders. i am currently constructing a electro streak by great planes and upon reading the review i ordered a brushless power systen for it ... and as usual the tech gave me the wrong motor.number so am in the return stage on that i would love to know where you purchased your big folder tho.. i think you said a 12 x 6? that would fit my electro streak nicely... thanks for your response and hoping the best of luck for your flying endevours!! keep um up! vetter

TheOldGuy
12-20-2006, 04:53 PM
I got the prop from my local hobby shop, but I've seen them on the internet, but I can remember where.
Use your search engine (mine is Google) and just type "rc props" and see if that works.
The thing we have to rememeber about computer is, they search in the order of the words you put in. So if you say "rc," then it will go get everything with rc in the text. So first it finds is rc, then props, and so on. Sometimes I find that by reversing the order of the words, that will get me closer to what I actually want (props rc). The more words in whatever order, the closer you get to what it is your looking for. Sometimes I try and think up other words to add to the chain.
Charlie

CORVETTER89
12-21-2006, 12:15 AM
thanks for your reply charlie,i found some nice graupner folders on hobby lobbys web site when i was ordering a jeti phasor motor from them. i usually shop tower for online stuff, but they dont carry jeti motors. let me know how the axi system works on your upstar, i have also found out that the stock elec. system that comes with e-planes are lethargic at best, so i just plan to automatically upgrade the system to prevent field "failures" .... lol......thanks again and good luck with the upstar.......vetter

TheOldGuy
12-21-2006, 03:50 PM
www.obrienhobbies.com/ (http://www.obrienhobbies.com/)

Vetter, here's another place to check. Prices lower then Tower and severial discounts besides the low prices.
I'm still waiting for the parts for the glider and besides the weather here in S. Oregon is really bad this time of year (you saw the story on the Mt. Hood climbers) so we hide from the rain and wind a lot this time of year!! Lots of building time here!!:D
Where you at?
Charlie

Trumpet20
06-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Hello:
I replaced the stock setup on the Hobbico Upstar with a Phasor 15/3 brushless motor, Thunderbird 36 amp ESC, a 9 x 5 5mm Grauper folding prop and a 3 cell - 2100 MAH Li-Po battery. Hand launched takeoffs are at 1/3 throttle. On full throttle it will climb at about a 60 degree angle. It will even loop while going vertical. Its lots of fun to fly.