PDA

View Full Version : Castle Creations Setup on AXI Outrunner Motors

Tweet
09-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Do you guys change any of the stock settings to accomodate your AXI motors when using the Castle Creations ESCs? I am using the original Phoenix series on my current airplane, but do have a couple of the Phoenix HVs that I will use on some larger airplanes.

Unbalanced prop
09-21-2005, 02:34 PM
I have several AXIs (2212/26 and 34, 2810/10 & 2826/10) and CC controllers. The only settings I change are to "disable" the brake, set the cutoff to "soft" and set the timing to "high". Everything else I leave the same. These settings work fine for me, but your results may vary!

Doug

Phred
09-26-2005, 02:57 AM
Unbalanced prop,
Can you explain your preferences for your esc? I will be running an AXI2212/34 w/CC25 esc. I'm new to these things, and don't fully understand the flight effects the brake, cutoff, and timing have. Thanks
Phred

Unbalanced prop
09-26-2005, 04:51 AM
Hi Phred

Here is a link to a doc that can do a better job then I can explaining all the settings.

http://www.castlecreations.com/documents/Explanation%20of%20PHX-Link%20Settings.pdf

As to the settings I change;
Soft cutoff: I like to be warned of the battery getting low. I don't like it just shutting off in the middle of a hover or other manuver.
High timing: According to my test, the AXI motors perform slightly better (more amps and watts) then normal or low timing.
Brake disabled: I like the prop to freewheel when I turn off the throttle such as in a dive.

Doug

Phred
09-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Doug,
Thanks for the info, I've been flying nitro for ten years and just about have all that stuff figured out. So here I go with a new electric learning curve.
Phred

Unbalanced prop
09-27-2005, 02:52 AM
Doug,
Thanks for the info, I've been flying nitro for ten years and just about have all that stuff figured out. So here I go with a new electric learning curve.
Phred

I am still on the curve also. Been doing electrics for a little over a couple years. I really can't believe how far the electric equipment has improved in the last two years and still improving what seems like daily.:cool:

Doug

Walt Thyng
09-27-2005, 01:14 PM
I've been into electrics since '92. The challenge of learning a new technology brought me back into a hobby that had become boring. Now the challenge is to keep up! I'm getting ready to move to some smaller e-p birds and I've got to relearn everything -- speed 400s don;t cut it any more (-:
Walt