PDA

View Full Version : A date that will live in Infamy

firemanbill
12-07-2006, 06:56 PM
I was just sitting here staring out my window at work gazing on that beautiful flag we call Glory flying at half staff.

To all the men and women that survived Pearl and defended our country during WWII I salute you!

skiman762
12-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Bill
I too was watching a man fold up his flag this evening and thought of my uncle Henry who I never got to meet.
He was at Pearl that day but now he rests with his brothers in France he gave his life April 4, 1945
I once asked my Mother why they didn't bring him home and she told me he was with his brothers and that is where he belongs.

firemanbill
12-08-2006, 03:13 AM
Wow Ed.

Thanks for sharing that. Both my Grandfathers were in Europe. My Dad's dad fought under Patton and my mom's dad landed in Normandy. They both were wounded and received the purple heart but lived to tell about it. They never really talked about it much.

My Dad's dad is 96 this year and I try to get home to East Tennessee to see him whenever I can. I am really looking forward to Christmas this year and the chance to go home to see him.

While I was stationed at Bitburg Germany in the 80's we got to the cemetary in Normandy and Luxembourg. Lux is where Patton is buried. All of of those brave men that never made it home was quite a site to behold.

skiman762
12-08-2006, 03:53 AM
I know, everytime I see the head stones lined up as if with a lazer I think of the sacrifice those young men made it really sends chills through me. When we were packing to move we found my wifes grandfathers Bataan, Corregidor survivors pin I sure wish I could have met him too.

firemanbill
12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
I know, everytime I see the head stones lined up as if with a lazer I think of the sacrifice those young men made it really sends chills through me. When we were packing to move we found my wifes grandfathers Bataan, Corregidor survivors pin I sure wish I could have met him too.

We have one of the Bataan Death March survivors that ended up working here in my Fire Dept. He has long since retired but still comes to our Christmas party every year. Don't know how many more he is going to be able to attend but his daughter is planning on bringing him this year.

Twizter68
12-08-2006, 04:25 PM
From what I hear, this year was the last planned reunion at the Arizona Memorial....we are losing more and more of them every year, and the next generation seems to not even care...

At least my kids know and appreciate what the WWII generation did for them.

Bill
Active Navy since 1991....

paranoia
12-08-2006, 04:58 PM
mmm. I still can’t understand why the Japs through it necessary to engage the US, at that time. The Japs where already engaged on many fronts across South East Asia? ie the British empire for one, (WWII in Europe was well underway) The Brits where moving a lot of men and equipment back home at the time. Hell it’s not like the Japanese are implosive or reckless. Within about 8months of pearl they moved on Singapore. Did they just really believe they could defect everyone on the Pacific Rim? Maybe the Japs thought we (I’m an ozzy,) would call on the US sooner or later anyway, and they would catch the US off guard?

firemanbill
12-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I saw on the news last night where there were a few Japanese pilots that actually flew the missions were part of the ceremonies as well. They actually hang out with our Navy men and reminisced about that day.

Then Dan Rather said something that hit me hard... he said

"I wonder if 65 years from now if any "insurgents" will meet with our boys that are fighting now and talk about the good 'ol days?"

skiman762
12-08-2006, 07:53 PM
The attack on Pearl Harbor was a complete success according to the parameters of the mission which sought to sink at least four American battleships and prevent the U.S. Fleet from interfering in Japan's southward advance for at least six months they wanted the aircraft carriers also but they were not the primary target
They just didn't count on the Americans getting so pissed off except for one of them
Hence the famous quote from Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." and the rest is history

skiman762
12-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I don't know Bill time will tell
more and more Vietman vets are making the trip back to Vietnam in search of closure and from what I have read Vietnam has done well putting the war behind them and welcomes the Vets that make the trip

I guess it's true what they say soldiers don't make policy
politicians do that, we just clean up the mess

paranoia
12-08-2006, 11:57 PM
I did read that the Pacific carrier group refused to doc at pearl, the reason they gave was that they would be trapped if an air attack was lunched on pearl.

TeslaWinger
12-09-2006, 12:31 AM
We know a lot more about that "surprise attack" now. The commanders at Pearl were saddled with the blame- and the shame- for decades. There was no radio silence- they were simply kept out of the loop. Japan was blockaded by the US and so they struck out.

Seems these things are doomed to repeat themselves whenever the powers that make war need a PR event. The battleships were obsolete in an Aircraft Carrier war- they must have felt the same way about the sailors, soldiers and civilians.

We may not have the benefit of decades of freedom after 911 to sort it all out considering the plans being made for us and the foreign control of our 'leaders.'

All they need is one more 'Catalyzing Event'- like a 'New Pearl Harbor' as they so tastelessly put it- and we will be at war with Iran- and Russia and China! The fleet is in place awaiting another fictitious 'New Tonkin Gulf Incident' to launch their next incredibly profitable horror that may just be the very last war on Earth. There is no glory in war- only enough profit to make a very few rich enough to be called "Philanthropists." The rest are merely the Honored Dead. They deserved better.

Pray for peace.
TW

paranoia
12-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Every war is fort for the same reason, for resources. The only reason the world would go to war on a large scale would be for energy. The biggest uses of fuel are the US and china. They are the key players in the world; everyone else just needs to pick a side. That fuel is in the Middle East, we have the Saudi’s in the bag and we have Iraq, 95% of the worlds oil is in hand, the stage is being set…….

TLyttle
12-09-2006, 02:40 AM
I have read a number of books on the Pearl Harbor attack, from both sides (try "Divine Wind" for starters), and there were SO many errors made on BOTH sides, it certainly gives "military intelligence" a new meaning...

Check out the number of actual civilians killed, and how they died, that in itself is bazarre.

max-nix
01-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I will always wonder why the Japanese did not hit the very vunerable fuel supply at Pearl.