PDA

View Full Version : Slow Stick Upgrades et al

Bunky
09-21-2005, 03:45 PM
:confused: Questions:

- By using a 400C motor on a "Stick"do you increase the speed to any degree at all?

-Do the GWS 300C and 400C motors have a pretty good life span?

-Is adding a brushless motor a good idea and what would be the main advantages ?

This newbie really appreciates you folks who have taken the time to answer my previous posts. What a great site this is!!! Bunky

flyranger
09-21-2005, 04:56 PM
:confused: Questions:

- By using a 400C motor on a "Stick"do you increase the speed to any degree at all?

-Do the GWS 300C and 400C motors have a pretty good life span?

-Is adding a brushless motor a good idea and what would be the main advantages ?

This newbie really appreciates you folks who have taken the time to answer my previous posts. What a great site this is!!! Bunky
I've been flying my slow stick for about two weeks. It has the GWS400C and flies OK (meaning slowly) in little or no wind. Do not fly in winds greater than 5mph!! I have a E-flite Park 370 brushless to install on it - am still waiting for the 6:3:1 E-flite gearbox to go with it (on order). Calculations show static thrust of 14-16 oz with a 10x7 APC prop. I use cheapbatterypacks.com's NIMH 1150 7 cell packs giving me an all up weight of 16oz. If I was buying a new motor for this, would get the E-flite Park 370 Outrunner and Castle Creations brushless, sensorless ESC. Had the old 370, so wanted to make use of it. My bench setups of the stock motor show 10amps and 7-9 oz static thrust developing about 30 watts on the GWS 1060 prop. Little underpowered for my flying style!:D

jonnyjetprop
09-21-2005, 08:06 PM
One of the biggest reasons to go brushless is that you can run it on a 3s lipo battery. This voltage will cook the 300-400 size can motors. This leads to a 50% increase in power. If you are still using nimh batteries, than you can go 7 or 8 cells and still use the can motors.

With the price dropping on brushless motors, esc's and lipo batteries, I'd recommend making the jump. imho I think you will be glad you did.

John

timocharis
09-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Bunky,

The 400 and 300 series motors are surprisingly similar in power output (with a slight edge to the 400, which weighs considerably more).

The 400 series are much more durable and will last quite a bit longer.

As a completely unexplained and unsupported opinion, I think putting a brushless motor on a slow stick is like putting a VTEC into a Volvo Station Wagon. Oh, and prop or gear the 400 down and it will handle 3s Lipo just fine. If you fry it, oops, there goes six bucks!

Dave

Rich Loris
09-23-2005, 01:38 PM
I have over 80 flights on my slow stick using only 3 cell lipo batteries with the 370 motor.

Steve
09-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Wow Rich...your experience runs contrary to just about everybody else. Good for you:)

I started with stock 350. It flew, but slowly (I know, I know)

Then put a 400 on. Faster, but not space shuttle material.

Next put on a 2015 Himax with a 1280 prop. With the 8cell KAN 1100's, it goes pretty good, but still not that speedy.

Next was the 2025 Himax with a 1180 prop...still with the 8cell KAN's. Cooking along pretty good now. Problem is the shaft sheared off and I sent it back for repair and never heard of it again. That was about 3 months ago! I'll never buy another Himax again.

I just ordered a BP-21 to see what that will do with the 3Cell Lipo. Balsapr is selling them for $18!!! Get 21oz of thrust with 3S lipo and an 8040 prop. Can't beat that with a stick.

Twmaster
09-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Can't beat that with a stick.

Get a bigger stick! :D