PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade for easy glider electric

bajajrider
12-10-2006, 06:26 AM
has anyone tried the new multiplex brushless with gear box combo yet.
i like the planetary box better than the standard, ive heard several guys at my club complain about pinnion gears stripping on the stock box, any suggestions on a good power upgrade..thanks
oh yeah, ive got about 20 flights on the stock setup, and still going strong, thermals in light lift, always take it for my back up plane.

CHELLIE
12-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Hi Bajajrider, If I am correct you have a brush stock set up on your glider, might want to get away from the gear box and go direct drive, a 2409-12 outrunner is a great little motor, it has the power of a LA 15 size glow engine, is lighter that your can setup with gearbox, you can use up to a 9x5 prop,
use it with a 30 amp ESC and a 3s 11.1v lipo of about 1320 to 1800 mah, you will have to use a brushless ESC, the brush ESC will not work, and it will fly like a bat out of hell :) you can get the 2409-12 motor at GITech for $14.99,
http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp?page=policy
Have Fun and Take Care, Chellie
here is some info on the 2409-12
http://www.himodel.com/electric/Tower_pro_Outrunner_Brushless_Motor_Type_2409-12.php

AEAJR
12-13-2006, 03:41 AM
There are several threads on this topic. I suggest you do some seraches.

I have an Easy Glider Electric with the Multiplex Brushless package. Works great with the standard gearbox and prop. Running 2 cell lipos and about 80 watts per pound. I usually climb at about 3/4 throttle.

AEAJR
12-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Bajajrider, If I am correct you have a brush stock set up on your glider, might want to get away from the gear box and go direct drive, a 2409-12 outrunner is a great little motor, it has the power of a LA 15 size glow engine, is lighter that your can setup with gearbox, you can use up to a 9x5 prop,
use it with a 30 amp ESC and a 3s 11.1v lipo of about 1320 to 1800 mah, you will have to use a brushless ESC, the brush ESC will not work, and it will fly like a bat out of hell :) you can get the 2409-12 motor at GITech for $14.99,
http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp?page=policy
Have Fun and Take Care, Chellie
here is some info on the 2409-12
http://www.himodel.com/electric/Tower_pro_Outrunner_Brushless_Motor_Type_2409-12.php

Do you have a picture of how you have it mounted? Not sure how you would mount that in an Easy Glider.

bajajrider
12-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi aeajr, seems like it would be an easy install, cut the flat front section off the easy, its not that thick anyway,make a light ply round mount for the motor and glue in place,if you dont hack too much off the front the thrust angle will still be set(i think), seen several at my local club done this way, quite a few guys have small axi's, they get about a 45 degree climb, 6-7 pulls to height with 2100-4000 lipos, you can barely tell they cut the nose for the install, i still dont know what i'm looking for, the stock setup works for now 30 or more flights and its still pulling ok,i just dont care for gear boxes...

AEAJR
12-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi aeajr, seems like it would be an easy install,..

Sorry,

From your post I had the impression you had done this and I wanted to see the end result. Nevermind. :rolleyes:

kevin sadler
01-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Does anyone know how the below setup on the ez glider would work in comparison to the multiplex upgrade kit?
motor- tornado 480 sized brushless
with a 25 amp castle creations ESC
and a thunder power 1320 2 cell lipo

AEAJR
01-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Kevin,

it would help if you provided links to the products so we can see KV, watts, volts, amps, C ratings, sizes, etc.

Do you propose to use that motor direct drive or with a gearbox?

kevin sadler
01-18-2007, 07:04 AM
The motor 'tornado 480 brushless' http://www.e-flight.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=88 would be direct with a 6x3 prop and the castle cretions esc is 25amp http://www.e-flight.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=88 with a 1320 mah 3 cell thunder power lipo http://www.hobby-lobby.com/thunderpower.htm
Thanks guys

websterphreaky
09-13-2009, 08:28 PM
There are several threads on this topic. I suggest you do some seraches.

I have an Easy Glider Electric with the Multiplex Brushless package. Works great with the standard gearbox and prop. Running 2 cell lipos and about 80 watts per pound. I usually climb at about 3/4 throttle.

AEAJR, spotted this old thread on the Ez G E and have been searching for a simple gearbox answer. Building up a MPX Ez G E for my son, it of course came with a Brushed motor and Standard Gearbox. I'd of course like to immediately toss the brushed motor in favor of a Brushless.

I've had great luck with Turnigy Aerodrive 28x35mm Inrunners (2200 and 2700kv) in my two Easy Star Aerial Video platforms. Replaced the stock motor IN the same motor pod - perfect fit. I want to use a Turnigy B2835-08 (380s) 3900kv inrunner as a replacement to the original brushed motor in the Ez G E.

Here is the question I cannot seem to find any forum thread addressing. Can the stock gearbox be satisfactorily be used with a brushless motor in this range or any range?? (operational longevity?)

Considering the stock brushed motor is also in the 3500kv range (according the the guys at Hitec/Multiplex I've talked to on the phone), I can't see why the stock gearbox can't hold up. RPM's will be the same, right? The gearbox delivers a 3.3:1 ratio, so a 3900kv Brushless will be delivering 1182kv; perfect for spinning a 10" folding prop! And the Turnigy's will bolt right up the original gearbox. Much lighter to boot, especially less than an Outrunner!

Do you know of anyone that used the stock gearbox and how long will it hold up?

In the upgrade brushless kit, do they still use that same standard gearbox?

Thanks

AEAJR
09-14-2009, 12:30 PM
I have the stock gearbox with a brushless inrunner. No problems due to the KV of the motor.

I have my ESC set for a soft start and a soft brake. This takes some stress off the gears. I also tend to power up easy and power down easy.

The only problem I have had is that the pinion on the motor is glued on with locktite adheasive recommended by Multiplex. About once a year, the glue lets go. No biggie to fix it.

No problem with the gearbox itself. Just make sure you lubricated it. And, if you fly in a dirty environment, like the beach, it is a good idea to clean the dirt out now and then as it will get in the gears and chew them up.

I also run the stock prop with no issue. My set-up, on 2 cell, pulls about 26 amps on the bench. Gives me about a 75 degree climb.

websterphreaky
09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I have the stock gearbox with a brushless inrunner. No problems due to the KV of the motor.

I have my ESC set for a soft start and a soft brake. This takes some stress off the gears. I also tend to power up easy and power down easy.

The only problem I have had is that the pinion on the motor is glued on with locktite adheasive recommended by Multiplex. About once a year, the glue lets go. No biggie to fix it.

No problem with the gearbox itself. Just make sure you lubricated it. And, if you fly in a dirty environment, like the beach, it is a good idea to clean the dirt out now and then as it will get in the gears and chew them up.

I also run the stock prop with no issue. My set-up, on 2 cell, pulls about 26 amps on the bench. Gives me about a 75 degree climb.

Very good points on setting up the ESC for soft starts and soft brake. I hadn't thought about that and the EMax 30A ESC I'm going to use has programmability for Off, Soft and Hard on both Start and Brake.

I'm going to buy a 10T pinion that is a press fit for the 3.2mm shaft on the Turnigy Inrunner. (heat the pinion, freeze the motor press fit - like we do on RC off-roaders) I doubt that I'll need any glue.

I'm just building it up right now, nothing has even been glued as yet. A few more questions, if you don't mind?

- You said that you also used a Brushless Inrunner, what kv is it? Do you know what the original brushed motor kv was and what the gearbox ratio is?

- What lube did you use and did you literally "fill" the gear box? What do you think of using high-temp Silicone lube?

- I plan on using a 2S LiPO as well. What mAh do you use and what does it weigh?

- Any CG balance issues? Did you glue the supplied ball weight in the tail as the instructions call for?

- I am going to set up the EzGE with Spoilerons, as I do on my fiberglass 2M Omei and Kunlum powered gliders/hotliners; have you tried this and did you see any peculiar results??

Thanks again for the reply, was hoping that this thread wasn't totally dead. My son is really looking forward to this EzGE.

AEAJR
09-15-2009, 03:43 AM
- You said that you also used a Brushless Inrunner, what kv is it? Do you know what the original brushed motor kv was and what the gearbox ratio is?

It is the stock gear box that was on the speed 400. I have the Multiplex 6S motor. Not sure of the kV. Mine is 3 years old. Don't think they make that motor anymore.

- What lube did you use and did you literally "fill" the gear box? What do you think of using high-temp Silicone lube?

I did not fill the gearbox, I jsut put plenty on the gears. Itis a lithium lube that Multiplex soldfor the gearbox. Not sure about silicone lube.

- I plan on using a 2S LiPO as well. What mAh do you use and what does it weigh?

I have 2100 ma 15C pack. I think it is about 4 oz.

- Any CG balance issues? Did you glue the supplied ball weight in the tail as the instructions call for?

I bought the plane already built. I don't think the ball is in it. I have the CG pushed behind the standard CG but not sure how much. Probalby 1/4 or 3/8" behind the recommended CG.

- I am going to set up the EzGE with Spoilerons, as I do on my fiberglass 2M Omei and Kunlum powered gliders/hotliners; have you tried this and did you see any peculiar results??

I use spoilerons and flapperons. Both work but I tend to use spoilerons more often. Plane already floasts so I don't need to to float any more, whic his what flaps would do.

websterphreaky
09-15-2009, 06:43 AM

It is the stock gear box that was on the speed 400. I have the Multiplex 6S motor. Not sure of the kV. Mine is 3 years old. Don't think they make that motor anymore.

Thanks for the info on your upgrades, especially the CG.

If you have the MPX BL-400/06, it was a hot 3400kv, 250W max 30A.

You said you have the stock gearbox, but did you change the gears to the ones that MPX was selling as part of the BL-400/6 kit for the Ez G E??

I'm trying to decide between a Turnigy 2835 3900kv and a Turnigy 2835 2700kv. From the best that I can ascertain (counting teeth in the stock gears in the gearbox) the ratio is 3.0:1. So if you have a 3400kv BL-400, yours is drive train delivering 1133kv thru the gearbox.

So my two choices deliver geared either 1300kv or 900kv (better for big props). Do you have any thoughts on which might produce better results??

Thanks again.

websterphreaky
02-11-2010, 06:39 AM
This is just an update on what I picked to use to upgrade to Brushless on our EZG E.

I chose to stick with the stock MPX 3:1 gearbox and motor mount because of the ease of mounting and being able to easily remove the motor anytime I want to. Good thing later. Sean at Hitec MPX assured me that the stock gearbox was easily up to running a brushless motor up to 3200 Kv, which was their own upgrade kit until they discontinued it (and the EZG E).

So I went with a Inrunner I was familiar with and had great experience with in my two EZ*'s, the Turnigy B2835-2700(kv). It will nearly bolt right up to the stock motor mount, you'll only need to enlarge the circular motor cutout on the mount a slight amount, you'll need longer 3mm cap head screws (DuBro) and you'll need to enlarge very slightly the motor mount for the "cap" part of the new 3mm screws, just use your dremel tool.

You'll also need to find a 10T (tooth) pinion for the 3.17" shaft on the B2835 motor. Press fit is best because the pinon need to be short so not to collide with the gear in the gearbox.

Use a liberal amount of high temp gear lube or High Temp Silicone Lube on all the gears, the more the better. I prefer the Silicone.

The B2835 is exactly the same diameter and length as the stock brushed 400 motor, so it is a drop-in for the cockpit.

If the B2835-2700 were a real 2700kv, which it turned out it isn't (Hobby Chity lies like a rug on their specs), you would get a final geared 900kv output through the 3:1 gearbox (motor kv divided by the ratio - 3) or 2700 / 3 = 900. But when I measured actual RPM with a tach, the B2835-2700 turned out to be only 2200kv, not enough to turn the 12x8 Master Airscrew folding prop on a 30mm Aluminum Hub. I was only getting 733kv on a 2850mAh 2S 35C LiPO!!

So this is where being able to pull out the easy (Easy Glider) motor mount right out of the Cockpit comes in very handy. I changed the motor to the Turnigy B2825-3900(kv), which it really a measured 3200kv (shame on Hobby Chity for lying again). Now I've got a geared 1066kv output, perfect for my 12x8 prop.

The stock MPX gearbox has be great so far, I check the gear lub and gear condition every 5 - 7 hours of flight time just to be careful.

Oh, and the Easy Glider E-BL has a climb angle of 65 degrees at just 3/4 throttle and head winds of 25 mph under 1/3 throttle are a "breeze".

AEAJR
02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Great update.

where did you get the pinion gear?

websterphreaky
02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Great update.

where did you get the pinion gear?

Hey Ed, how ya doing on the East Coast Polar Region?

Found the original 10T x 3.12 pinion just by shear luck at the LHS (Hobby People), it was meant for their garbage "Sabre" Fixed Pitch Heli and the pinion was "red tagged" (discounted) to a Buck. It was the last one. But I've bought others by perusing online E Heli stores. They're usually around $3 to $5 + shipping.

How is your EZG E BL holding up?

I enjoy mine, but I find it to be a bit "twitchy" in moderate winds and it "tip stalls" too easily. Have you seen that as well?

BTW, how is your World Hobbies SkyRunner?

I have one too and have still been struggling with CG balance, where to put the electronics and the battery, and the fragility of the wings. Such a pretty plane, such a pain in the :censor:.

Lastly, what the hell is wrong with this forum site (WattFlyer.com)? - for the last few months almost everytime I try to go to the site, the browser times out or I get a msg "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.". I try to post or upload an picture and I get a blank page, or "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." or the browser times out! Are they running out money and not paying bills, moved to an old 286PC with a 20MB hard drive, or WalMart is hosting the site?

I tried to upload pictures of my EZG E-BL mods numerous times for others to learn from and nothing but errors or time outs.

This used to be a great forum site, but WattFlyer sucks now and I've abandoned it for RC Groups and RC Universe. What a shame. :{

AEAJR
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey Ed, how ya doing on the East Coast Polar Region?

Found the original 10T x 3.12 pinion just by shear luck at the LHS (Hobby People), it was meant for their garbage "Sabre" Fixed Pitch Heli and the pinion was "red tagged" (discounted) to a Buck. It was the last one. But I've bought others by perusing online E Heli stores. They're usually around $3 to $5 + shipping.

How is your EZG E BL holding up?

the EZE was doing fine, right up to the point where I accidentally reversed the elevator in the radio and did a full power launch right into an asphalt runway :(

I replaced the main shaft on the gearbox and had to reglue the pinion on the motor. But the %&$# glue won't hold for some reason, so right now it is not in the air.

I enjoy mine, but I find it to be a bit "twitchy" in moderate winds and it "tip stalls" too easily. Have you seen that as well?

BTW, how is your World Hobbies SkyRunner?

I have one too and have still been struggling with CG balance, where to put the electronics and the battery, and the fragility of the wings. Such a pretty plane, such a pain in the :censor:.

I never found the EGE to be twitchy unless I pushed the CG WAY back. Never noticed a tip stall issue either. However I have learned of late that some people have put in such large power systems that the plane comes in at a porky 40 ounces. Mine is a more svelt 32 ounces. At that weight it flies just fine. But if I ballast it up to 38 ounces it can get a bit less plesant to fly as you have to keep the speed up more than seems natural for this plane.

The Sky runner is pure fun. I don't consider it a serious thermal soaring plane. More of a warmliner.

I found that the h-stab has too much up angle. This makes the plane appear to be nose heavy. It seems the more weight I put on the tail the better the plane flies. But I don't really think it is a CG issue, I think it is a wing incidene issue. One of these days I will try to take the h-stab off and see if I can re-angle it.

But for now it is just a fun plane. And yes, the wings are a bit delicate on landing. I have not had a problem with the wings while in the air.

Lastly, what the hell is wrong with this forum site (WattFlyer.com)? - for the last few months almost everytime I try to go to the site, the browser times out or I get a msg "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.". I try to post or upload an picture and I get a blank page, or "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." or the browser times out! Are they running out money and not paying bills, moved to an old 286PC with a 20MB hard drive, or WalMart is hosting the site?

I tried to upload pictures of my EZG E-BL mods numerous times for others to learn from and nothing but errors or time outs.

This used to be a great forum site, but WattFlyer sucks now and I've abandoned it for RC Groups and RC Universe. What a shame. :{

I have noticed that it is sometimes slow to respond. Other than that, I have not been having any problems with the forum myself.

What OS and browser are you using?