PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go to get away from it all in the NW?

adhoc
12-11-2006, 08:11 PM
It has been too long since I went off by myself for a few days, so I am going to do it the week between Xmas and New Years. Get away from home for two or three nights. Far enough away for it to feel like I'm away, but not too far, since I get plenty of commuting as it is, and I don't want to spend all my time driving. Let's say somewhere between 2 and 8 hours from Tacoma, WA.

The question is, where, exactly, should I go? Not inclined to go north (I commute up to the Seattle area all the time), or east (I've been into central Washington already). So I'm somewhat more inclined to head west or south, which would lead me to the coast, and/or Oregon.

I've never been to Portland, and am definitely interested in seeing it, but my goal here is to relax, and so I'm not inclined to jump into another big metro area. No doubt I'll spend plenty of time just cocooned in a hotel room, oversleeping, watching some tube, reading, etc. But I also want to get out and see some sights. Don't actually want to go camping or hiking or anything, but I enjoy long walks. I especially like big, open, scenic areas, where I can just be in it and leave all the worries and technology behind...

Of course it would be a nice plus if I could get some flying in, especially in a really big area where I don't have to worry about obstacles, etc. But that's just an additional consideration, not the driving factor.

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, thoughts? Thanks in advance! :)

CGFlyer
12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I used to live in Seattle and it was beautiful to go to Eugene, OR or northern Cal. Northern Cal has plenty of nice little places that are far enough away. The drive is not that bad at all.

aviatordave
12-12-2006, 03:20 AM
I agree with CGflyer, Eugene OR is nice and relaxing...would like to go back and just relax....or go further south and hit the top of CA and enjoy the redwoods, another nice spot. I wish I had that kind of country where I live!

Dave

skiman762
12-13-2006, 01:49 AM
I second the redwoods of nothern CA
walking among them makes you feel very small in the food chain
we had a great time motels are cheaper in the off season too
great food umm If I remember we stayed in Cresent City

aviatordave
12-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Yea..Cresent City, thats where I stayed. Just incredible to see them trees!

adhoc
12-14-2006, 09:48 PM
I really appreciate the ideas. I'm leaning towards Eugene, OR, with a possible day trip down to Crescent City, CA. Thanks all! :)