PDA

View Full Version : F7F tigercat

knightflyer
12-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I am in the process of building an enlarged version of a rubber powered F7F Tiger Cat. The span will be about 38" and the power will possibly be two Long Can Speed 400's depending on how the weight comes out. I was wondering if there is any three bladed E props made for this size motor as the real plane had three blade props and it would look neater with them. I realise when it is flying you won't tell the difference and two bladers are probably more efficient.
Knightflyer

Mike_Taylor
12-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Which rubber model is it enlarged from? I have the Diel's F7F which will get two 13/6/11 Goldline BL motors, although 2 geared N-20s would probably be enough...

knightflyer
12-22-2006, 07:41 PM
I enlarged mine from the Diel's kit also.[Hope there is no copyright problems here!] My wing span is 39" and I am going to build as much of it as I can before deciding on motors, although I think I will be using geared brushed motors {400 or 500} The brushless would be nice but the cost of two motors and ESCs is a little more than I want to put in this plane. I'll let you know how it is progressing. Right now the fuse is built up per the rubber design, but the wing is removeable and the 3s PolyQuest pack battery pack will be strapped below the wing and will have plenty of room to move for balancing the final set up. The wing was build on a hinged work board at the proper dihedral. The construction is copyed from Mark Riddinger's designs of sheeted top and bottom skins and a few ribs.
Let me know how you built yours and at which stage you are in.

Thanks for your reply Knight Flyer

Mike_Taylor
12-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Sounds good. Dave Deil's designes are quite robust and little modification is needed for the strength R/C gear needs. designing to deal with that wound up mass of rubber builds in plenty of strength.

I have a Python designed (IIRC) by Mark. Very strong (but heavy and fast) model... I also have a liking for all-balsa, fully sheeted, jig-built wings. They don't give much in a crash, but they do hold their shape until then.

500 motors sound scary-big for that size model - I hope you have very quick thumbs!

knightflyer
12-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi Mike, after reading the ads for K&A Model's F7F @ $293.00 I think I am saving a few bucks scratch building but spending a lot more hours! I have just ordered a set of Speed 400 'long can' motors, w/ 1:2.33 gearboxes and a 30 amp ESC based on the K&A specs in their ad.