PDA

View Full Version : What does evryone think of EPP

3dfoamworks
07-29-2005, 06:15 AM
What does everyone feel about EEP 3d planes, do you like the look and how they fly or do you like depron built planes instead?

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-29-2005, 02:32 PM
I was just speaking with someone at the field who had a Hobby-Lobby EEP plane and an electrifly depron plane. He said the difference was night and day. He liked the depron plane much better. Says the EPP made the plane feel "sloppy". Just one man's opinion, but thought I would share.

torqeroll
07-30-2005, 08:43 PM
epp is great when you still crash allot

SargentM
08-01-2005, 11:02 AM
I use EPP interchangeably with 6mm depron. I designed my own 3D foamy around this material.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372700&highlight=Lynx+3D+
(I apologize for the link to another forum but the most info about the model is there.)

I find with EPP you can TOTALLY dork the thing in in any orientation and with the right design, pick it back up and re-launch. Great for testing the limits of your flying!

Gene Bond
08-02-2005, 12:45 AM
EPP rules for a 3D trainer.

EPS (Depron, Fan Fold & molded) is better for precision...

Flat plates are only OK for either... True airfoils are better.

admin
08-02-2005, 12:52 AM
(I apologize for the link to another forum but the most info about the model is there.)

no apology necessary. links to other forums and resources are perfectly fine here. WattFlyer is based on a slightly different 'OPEN' posting principal. This does not mean zero moderation it just means the rules here are pretty different from what you find at many other sites as money or competition are not the motiviation or reason for WattFlyer. That said..back to regularly scheduled programming :p

EEP 3D planes...continue on gentleman!

shrike
08-02-2005, 02:42 PM
EPP is fantastic stuff. Extremely durable and helps protect the motor and radio gear. Crash it until there isn't enough to tape together ( that takes some real effort), then on to the next one for $15 and up.

Great stuff to experiment with.

NimbleGimbal
08-02-2005, 07:00 PM
the only epp plane I have is a R3D v2 mini, 24" wingspan, full fuse with airfiol, will build to about 6oz... I've watched and flown 2 others indoors and out, and they are really nice.... not as precise as my 6oz mini-yak (depron) but you can fly it WOT into the ground at any orientation and not break it... when you handle it, it feels like a rag or something... the wing will bend in half but it has a carbon spar so you cant fully bend it around... even though it feels so sloppy, it doesn't matter much in the air, because it builds so light...

tone
08-02-2005, 10:58 PM
I've had 2 EPP planes so far. Ther first was a Southern X2 by funplanes. Flew pretty good, took abuse very well. had the airfoiled wing and full fuselage.
I just finished up and maidened a slowfly.com mini 3d 32 inch. seems good, if a little under powered with my old CD rom. Flys well a little too stable and on rails, but i can live with that... for now.
They take abuse better than ANY other building material.
They are NOT as stiff and precise as balsa, but you won't break out in a sweat trying to learn tail touches..

brownpaul
08-08-2005, 05:48 AM
I fly Funplanes EPP designs and love them! You can crash, pick them up and relaunch, crash, etc. It's like a simulator, they crash, but don't break. Also cheap to build if you buy your own materials. I've tried lots of depron foamies, but always go back to my EPP!

Hivoltage
08-08-2005, 11:43 PM
I Love EPP Planes, what more can I say!!!!

WWI Ace
08-09-2005, 01:00 AM
EPP planes are great for their duribility but they look too much like a sponge. Depron is a much smoother finish. But then again, fly whatever you want to fly. This is supposed to be fun!!! Experiment and make your own decision based on how your testing comes out. The most important thing is to fly, have fun, and don't worry about anyone elses opinion unless you ask for it!!

EpoweredRc
08-09-2005, 06:06 AM
What does everyone feel about EEP 3d planes, do you like the look and how they fly or do you like depron built planes instead?

Epp is very strong it can take a beating and keep going.I like depron also but for wings and such I like epp ones better.there stronger also I think.

loker
08-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I love epp. depron is more crisp, but hopefully somebody can find a way to deal with this, so we could have the best of both worlds. for now, I just take the best of epp, cause im always 2 inches off the ground. I take my little epp plane and just hover it along with me as I walk down the sidewalk where other people are walking dogs. it's really cool. but all the unplanned landings along the way would work too well with depron.. oh by the way, the epp has to be thick enough. I just got some black epp from slofly.com, and it's thinner and a lot lot more flimsy than the thincker white epp. im sure it's just a matter of thickness, but I think you need at least 8 mm for it to fly well, otherwise it just folds too easily.

loker
08-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I love epp. depron is more crisp, but hopefully somebody can find a way to deal with this, so we could have the best of both worlds. for now, I just take the best of epp, cause im always 2 inches off the ground. I take my little epp plane and just hover it along with me as I walk down the sidewalk where other people are walking dogs. it's really cool. but all the unplanned landings along the way would work too well with depron.. oh by the way, the epp has to be thick enough. I just got some black epp from slofly.com, and it's thinner and a lot lot more flimsy than the thincker white epp. im sure it's just a matter of thickness, but I think you need at least 8 mm for it to fly well, otherwise it just folds too easily.crashing is half the battle

gixer11
08-09-2005, 06:51 PM
I think epp is great for its durability. currently flying a combat wings nighthawk 3d for practicing manouvers before trying it on my mini funtana and its proved sucsesfull so far. saved me s in what would have been expensive crashes.

Cheers
Mark:)

Epoxycup
08-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I have both EPP and Depron. I think they both are great but for differant reasons. The EPP is more crash resistent but generally needs to thicker to reduce flex, and you can use regular CA on it. The Depron has a smoother finish is stiffer for its size but is more fragile.
My ZoomZoom by hacker is EPP with Depron tail feathers. My Tensor is Depron as is my Hobby Lobby Yak, I like them all. I dont think one neccesarily is better, they all need carbon or something to stiffen certain areas. So take your pick and have fun flying :D

Snowplane
08-26-2005, 03:25 AM
For folks like me who like to do a 20' diameter loop with 15' of ground clearance....EPP is the bomb! Lightweight, not as snappy as other materials but if durability is what you're after...EPP is great!

kloudking
08-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Hey guys:: EPP is great, if not a bit spongy in it's flying. There is a new foam, called tough stuff from troybuilt models, it's a bead foam, 6mil thick and has a skin on it.. I just finished an XB 70 out of the stuff with low temp hot melt glue.. The stuff glues easily, but boy does it eat blades...I haven't flown the plane yet, but with NO CF it seems stiff enough and durable enough..The sheets are 15"X35", and only $1.89 each but you need to buy 10..This makes the shipping worthwhile..I think this stuff is going to take the place of both EPP and Depron in my shop..If any one wants the particulars on the XB send me an e-mail..

rickhtoo
08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
EPP works great for it's purpose. I have a Mini3D from Slofly and it's about the best flying plane I have at the moment (who need precision anyway..) However, my best ever plane uses Zepron. Zepron is Depron with a plastic coating making it much more durable (just bends and wrinkles mostly). The problem is, getting good Zepron.. Bought 2 sheets 2 years ago and haven't found any since.. The only source I know of is airdyn.com, and it's not even close to the same.. It has a curve to it, and only one side is good. If anyone know of a source for the good Zepron (totally flat with 2 good sides), please let me know. Happy flying!

Rick

kloudking
08-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey Rick:: Go to troybuiltmodels.com and check out the tough foam.. I just used it for a model of an XB 70 and other that eating blades, as does most foam, the skin sticks, you can use low temp hot melt glue it's the same thickness as fan fold 6mm, it has a constant thickness, it's white with a bit of a pebbley surface but great stuff.. And the best part, a 15" X 37" sheet is only $1.89. It also slooks as though it will be very durable.. I used three thickness on the fuse and single fot the rest of the plane and used NO carbon fiber. I have built hundreds of foam models, many of which I designed, and this is the first time I felt no need for Carbon..Try It you will like it and the price can't be beat........ Jack

loker
08-30-2005, 05:21 PM
actually, I Think he is talking about something with more stiffness. isnt the foam you described kinda flimsy? Troy Built Models, the site he mentioned, also carries ultrafoam. you won't find ultrafoam in search engines, but it is what you asked for: basically white depron with a skin on both sides. it is perfectly smooth, perfectly white, perfectly flat, and it's the best stuff there is when it comes to flat foam. but it does costs about 6 or 7 dollars a sheet I think. I have a plane called the monte from troy built models made from this foam. the plane is pretty good, but the foam is awesome. when I get some more money, Im gonna buy some ultrafoam from them and built my own monte, cause it does fly aweseme.
The website is www.Troybuiltmodels.com (http://www.Troybuiltmodels.com) go to foam accesories and then foam. the stuff is awesome, but it's imported, and very expensive. good luck.
PS I just ordered some of the stuff he mentioned because it's so cheap, and I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say that won't be the better way to go, cause it just might. mine should be here today, I'll let you know what I think of it when it comes if I can remember to.

GPS
08-31-2005, 01:55 AM
Does anyone know of a Canadian source for any of these different types of foam?? I'd love to experiment with Depron and EPP, but shipping, duty, tax, etc., makes ordering from anywhere else prohibitive (I once made a mistake and had a new brushless motor shipped by UPS - shipping costs were over $65 - silly me!).

kloudking
08-31-2005, 02:19 AM
Hey guys:: I just finished a pitts out of the ultra foam, and when I masked it off to paint some of it, the tape pulled some of the skin loose in the corners of the design.. This is a problem I didn't see with the tuff foam. After using both types I think I like the tuff better than the ultra, although they are totally different in their surface texture, at six feet away in the air who's going to see it..I like the flexability of the tuff foam. I guess by now you can tell I'm a fan.. Jack (kloudking)

Oldpilot
09-02-2005, 02:49 AM
EPP planes are great for their duribility but they look too much like a sponge.

ACE. This 60" model is all EPP except for the balsa ailerons and tail feathers. Do you think it looks like a "sponge" ???

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_18.jpg

EPP Rulz.

loker
09-02-2005, 02:56 PM
hey I just got my tough foam from troy built. haven't built anything yet, but it does look promising for the cost. it seems to me to be 1/4 inch styrofoam with a white skin on both sides. Id say that the tough foam is gonna be better than the ultra foam because it is sooo much cheaper. although it's not as smooth like someone else said, it's a lot prettier than FFF foam, and it's way cheaper than ultrafoam, it's a little of the best of both worlds, with a little taken away from both worlds as well. I still prefer EPP but right now I can't find any for a decent price, slofly.com is always out of epp sheets, at least for over a month now. so when I build my next plane(this weekend) I'll let ya'll know how the tough foam is when it's flying, and how it builds. can't wait.

PS since the tough foam is styrofoam, it's closed cell, just like EPP, meaning it won't absorb water, and a lot of other liquids too(should there ever be a spill), as opposed to ultra foam, FFF, and depron, which are all open cell foams, susceptable to absorption.

PPS I don't see how that one guy could have built a wing without CF reinforcement, because this tough foam is a little more flimsy than depron, FFF, and ultrafoam, which all need CF reinforcement. But I won't come to any conclusions until I build, so in a couple days folks, I'll have one built.

Blob_master
09-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Oldpilot What a fantastic looking model, do you have any details on it, and also how is the finish achieved... Paul

David_Moen
09-05-2005, 09:18 PM
I just bought an "Extra Stiffy" EPP airplane from copperheadaviation.com . Hopefully it combines the durability of EPP with the stiffness of a depron plane. I will let you know as soon as I get my power system troubles worked out!

3dfoamworks
09-05-2005, 11:09 PM
does it have a epp core and a depron shin?

David_Moen
09-06-2005, 01:02 AM
It is skinned EPP foam, the skin is some sort of polyester that has the graphics printed on it then it is laminated to the EPP, the fuse and wings are made this way, very stiff and strong. Tail surfaces are depron.

loker
09-06-2005, 04:04 AM
I looked at that epp plane. too much money. 70 bucks was my limit for foam when I bought the hacker zoom zoom. that stiffy with a flying weight of 19 oz, I don't think epp will prevent damage in a crash, unless you're right above the ground when you make a mistake, it's too much weight. 7 and 8 oz epp planes are awesome for crashes, but 19 0z is too much. I had the zoom zoom from hacker, all epp and depron tail, just like the stiffy, and although it didn't have the skin, it was only 13 oz auw, and was very fragile. epp needs all sorts of reinforcements to make it any good. I have made some very resilient planes from sheets of epp that I designed myself, making all the places really strong that needed to be, and was able to do countless low level crashes with no damage. but the zoom zoom was a lot thicker epp and still very fragile. it seems like it was a different epp almost. the epp sheets I got from slofly.com were hotwire cut, leaving a sort of melted plastic skin on each side, I think maybe that's what makes them stronger, a lot stronger than the epp that the zoom zoom was made of, and probably that stiffy too, but who knows, I can't wait to hear from somebody who has flown one.

Bob E.
09-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Old Pilot

Bob E.
09-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Old Pilot Great looking!!! How did you cut the wing? I use a FEATHERCUT when cutting EPS, but would like to wire cut EPP. I've heard that it's dangerous ( fumes). Can you enlighten me? Bob E.

Oldpilot
09-17-2005, 05:02 AM
Hi Guys.

That 60" F-20 weighs 1600gm (3 1/2 lbs) and is virtually indestructable.
I built it from the Canterbury Sailplanes short kit, and so it wasn't too expensive. ($150.00 as I remember.) It flies very well and doesn't need a gale to fly in. The wing is detachable and all the control linkages are internal so that there is nothing hanging outside to get hit on when flying in combat. The upper and lower wing spars are F/Glas rods set in the wing with foaming Polyurethane glue. A minimum of EPP F/glas re-inforced tape is over the spars, LE and TE. The whole plane is covered with ORACOVER LITE heat shrink film on 3M77 spray adhesive. No filler was used on the foam under the covering, as I believe it only forms a brittle substrate which can cause problems down the road. Here are some pics.

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_2.jpg
http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_3.jpg

I split the fuse down the middle to install the "Gubbins" inside without disturbing the external surfaces.

Oldpilot
09-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Here is a pic of the electrical "Gubbins".

The LMA needed 3 Diodes to drop the voltage, as I used 5 X 1100mah Ni Cads to get enough weight in the nose and have 6V to increase the torque of the standard servos.

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_6.jpg
http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_5.jpg
http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_4.jpg

Oldpilot
09-17-2005, 05:19 AM
The tail feathers were made from balsa for stiffness and bamboo "Kebab Sticks" were glued on the leading edges for "Hit Protection" in combat. The elevator horn and joiner was made from a piece of bent up coat hanger, and sits in a hollow in the tail of the fuse. The fin is a tight push fit in the fuse and is removable for transport.

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_1.jpg

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_10.jpg

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_8.jpg

Oldpilot
09-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Finally it looked like this before covering. (The F-104 Dwg is another story)

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_9.jpg

Now it looks like this.

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/f20large_17.jpg

Oldpilot
09-17-2005, 05:36 AM

Oldpilot
09-17-2005, 05:49 AM
Or This -

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/F20large_pose1.jpg

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/F20large_pose2.jpg

olmod
09-17-2005, 01:24 PM
old pilot youve done it again i thought i had some good looking girls:D just remembering back to a previous thread in another forum:)
nice job on the foamy too .

loker
09-17-2005, 06:15 PM
well I have a zagi that's near indestructible too, but that's also for cambat. the thread was started on the usage of epp for 3D planes, and so in that regard, epp is not industructible, at least no 3D epp plane that I have seen so far, but I would like to see an indestructible 3D plane that's as tough as our combat gliders. anyone seen one? cause I want it!!!

Bob E.
09-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Old Pilot
Great job of building. Clean, slick skin. No doubt it gets All the design has.
It's nice to see building rather than RTF, ARF, and what ever!! Don't "they know about the pleasure in building.

I'm still looking for someone who hot wire cuts EPP. I'm cutting fuses from 4" blocks of poly styrene, but would like to use EPP. I've heard it's dangerous to inhale.

Thans for the pictures

Bob Ewing

Oldpilot
09-18-2005, 12:39 AM
YEAH.

Try the JOKER. http://www.flycs.co.nz click on Electric Planes in the menu.

loker
09-19-2005, 01:23 AM
a lot of people don't like building, that's why there's such a big market for ARF planes. also a lot of people don't have the time to do kits, myself included. I just like to fly, fly, fly. besides, the more you build, the less you fly. also, kits can be difficult for some people, like me. In fact, I'm thinking about finding a builder who I can pay to build my planes so I don't have to build at all. I hate building, but I love to fly. that's probably why I've learned so much flying skill in so little time, because I fly, not build. There's guys at my field who've flown for years and can't do the stuff I do. I asked him how long it took to put together that plane, about 200 hours he said. unless you really enjoy that, what a waste of time.

erashby
09-19-2005, 06:37 AM
a lot of people don't like building, ... also a lot of people don't have the time to do kits, myself included. ... the more you build, the less you fly. ... I asked him how long it took to put together that plane, about 200 hours he said. unless you really enjoy that, what a waste of time.

I like flying more than building too.
I think most in this hobby do.
But when I have a trimming problem
or crash a time or two,
I'm glad for the time I've spent on my work bench
and the building that I do.

200 hours-must have been a scratch built balsa and ply.
That is why I build with foam and mostly from kits, so I can spend my free time in the air. But when I crash or need to tweek the trim, I'm glad that I have the knowlege from puting the plane together myself. This also makes hop-ups and improvements possible. I haven't built a kit yet that I thought didn't need some improvement.

Eric

erashby
09-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Oldpilot/Boldphotographer:

With photo composition (and subject positioning) like that, I hope you are a photographer for a RC magazine. Heck, contrast was great; focus, great. I took off a tenth for the window and the door in the background, which were a distraction. You get a 9.9!

Or This -

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/F20large_pose1.jpg

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/F20large_pose2.jpg

erashby
09-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Old Pilot
I'm still looking for someone who hot wire cuts EPP. I'm cutting fuses from 4" blocks of poly styrene, but would like to use EPP. I've heard it's dangerous to inhale.

Thans for the pictures

Bob Ewing

Check out Lee at Utah Flyers Organization (http://www.utahflyers.org/INST_FoamCutter.php)
He cuts EPP foam all the time.
Eric

budweiser
09-21-2005, 03:12 AM
slo-fly has some good epp planes. i have bought some of the planes from here and i like the epp foam.

jonnyjetprop
09-21-2005, 05:40 AM
EPP is fantastic stuff. Extremely durable and helps protect the motor and radio gear. Crash it until there isn't enough to tape together ( that takes some real effort), then on to the next one for $15 and up.

Great stuff to experiment with.

Who makes the airplane in the picture?

John

loker
09-21-2005, 04:07 PM
yes, www.slofly.com (http://www.slofly.com) has some very small, very durable, cheap epp planes. the best part is the service. if you have a problem, steve will take care of you.

jonnyjetprop
09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
yes, www.slofly.com (http://www.slofly.com) has some very small, very durable, cheap epp planes. the best part is the service. if you have a problem, steve will take care of you.

Thanks. I had added a "w" and couldn't find the plane. A gentleman in Atlanta had one flying at Mercer College. It was a great flying litle plane.

John

timocharis
09-23-2005, 08:26 AM
John,

Steve's a little short on inventory right now, but if there's a 28" kit available, snap it up. I favor the 22" (probably aren't any) but it's a trickier build and persnickety.

The 28 is extreme cheap fun!

Dave North

timocharis
09-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Speaking of the 22", here's what I think of EPP:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4225847&postcount=1

Dave North

Oldpilot
09-26-2005, 02:20 PM
GEE ERASHBY.

Thanks for the compliment. Gosh! I'm not even an amateur photographer, I just happen to own a digital camera.

It does help to have good models-----planes too!!!.

Oldpilot
09-26-2005, 02:33 PM
This is my very first all EPP plane. No balsa. Even the ailerons are EPP.
It was also the very first Spitfire. The prototype as it appeared in the Hendon Air Pageant in June 1936. It is five years old now and still flying.
EPP rulz.

http://www.oldpilotsairport.com/images/s24_pose.jpg

REDNECK FLYER
09-26-2005, 09:16 PM
thank for the tips on the EPP fomies. that helped out alot.