PDA

View Full Version : How are all our friends from the Northwest?

firemanbill
12-15-2006, 11:39 PM
Just saw on the news how bad the weather has been up Washington way. They said one spot had stronger than Hurricane force winds!:eek:

Hope everyone form up that way made it through all the weather without much damage

radralph
12-16-2006, 02:53 AM
We lost power,branches, trees and had some flooding (minor). Power loss caused a go home early situation at work! Had power at home so it was all cool. Snowed and sunshined at the same time today. It's getting a little weird around here lol.

firemanbill
12-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Well I'm glad to hear your ok! Hopefully everyone else is as well

Weather is getting weird everywhere I guess... and getting stranger all the time!

adhoc
12-16-2006, 03:43 AM
Our power has been out since yesterday afternoon. Tree branches everywhere, lots of dark traffic signals, but these are ultimately just inconveniences... we're thankful...

My birds are safe in my garage. Unfortunately, they're also TRAPPED in my garage; no power to open the door! I hope we get power soon; Sunday morning is supposed to be nice (well, for this time of year), I had hoped to toss a few up....

(writing from wife's parent's house)

firemanbill
12-16-2006, 03:55 AM
good deal Andy, glad to hear you are ok! Hopefully you'll get power back so you can fly a bit.

doesn't your door have a manual release where you can disengage it from the opener?

Kosh
12-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Was a little scary to see all those 120' trees rocking at 30 degrees. Went 24 hours without power and Wattflyer and still trying to recover from that. :eek:
Lots of trees down and still close a million without power but its getting better. I lost my 55' CB base antenna that has been up for 20 years and survived every storm till this one but thats ok. Will fire up the ducted fan plane tomorrow and use it as a leaf blower. :D

BradT
12-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Similar situation here in Canada's Southwest corner, just above the WA border; many trees down, power loss for about 10-15% of the area, some severe damage to homes hit by trees, traffic chaos due to dead signals. My power glitched a few times, triggering my house alarm at 3:00 AM, causing a mad dash to get it shut off. Traffic was still nuts at 7:00 PM as I tried to make one of my largest customer's Christmas party, normally 40 min. away. My wife and I were only an hour and a quarter late, and we weren't the only ones. The dinner and drinks were great, the dance music a little too loud for us old pharts, so we left early. No serious injuries in the area, but some really close calls, judging by some of the footage on the 11 o'clock news. Winds hit 157 kmh, or 98 mph!

The only damage at my house was the loss of most of the anti-moss zinc strip along the ridge of my roof. No big deal, it was due for replacement anyway.

Brad.

Just after posting the above, I heard thunder, looked out the front door, and saw snow falling. Now we've got that mess to contend with in the morning! I think I'll sleep in. ;-)

Don Sims
12-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Glad you gents are checking in and weathered that storm!

firemanbill
12-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Glad to hear all is well men!:D

adhoc
12-17-2006, 03:39 AM
doesn't your door have a manual release where you can disengage it from the opener?I'm sure it does, but I foolishly put a padlock on the inside of the only other door to that (stand alone) garage. (well, I figured if I mounted the latch on the outside, someone could just unscrew it, right?) So I'm totally hosed until the power comes back. Crossing my fingers.... :confused:

firemanbill
12-17-2006, 03:47 AM
hindsight's 20/20 huh?:eek: :D That's too bad. Hopefully your power will come back on soon. Hate to see ya miss a good day to fly!

radralph
12-17-2006, 05:40 AM
I'm hoping those aren't tropical birds at this point..........

Twizter68
12-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Kosh, rad, adhoc, hope everything is coming along for you guys. I lived on Whidbey for 4 years, so I know how bad it can get there.....can't contact my friends there as yet...

adhoc
12-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Kosh, rad, adhoc, hope everything is coming along for you guys. I lived on Whidbey for 4 years, so I know how bad it can get there.....can't contact my friends there as yet...On Friday I heard on the radio that Whidbey Island was totally without power, and there were lines, more like parking lots, of cars waiting for ferries to get off the island... :(

We slept here at my wife's parents' house last night. You can only stand so much dark and cold, especially at home. Home is supposed to be your cozy, warm base...

But we're just thankful and trying to patient. This is just an extended inconvenience for us. And I know the power crews are working long, hard, cold hours, sometimes in the dark, at a potentially dangerous job. I don't begrudge them time back at their homes to recharge... :)

I'll fly again, whether it is today or tomorrow or next week or next month... ;)

adhoc
12-18-2006, 12:35 AM
hindsight's 20/20 huh?:eek: :D That's too bad. Hopefully your power will come back on soon. Hate to see ya miss a good day to fly!Boy, you said it! Seems obvious now...

We got power back about 3:30pm Sunday (Pacific time). In theory I could run out and get in a bit of flying now, but the family is so happy to have our power back, I'm inclined to just settle in for the evening. But I'll get out tomorrow morning and celebrate before work... :D

BradT
12-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Great flying weather here today, got several flights in this afternoon. There are still branches littering yards and streets all over, but I think everyone on the mainland has power back now, though the Gulf Islands are having a tough time of it; some didn't have power restored from the previous storm when this one hit. Temps in the low 40s, but some blue sky and almost no wind at the field, so I just needed good boots for the soggy ground and gloves for between flight finger warming. Then off to the local Pub for dinner and a hot toddy with the guys - aaah, life is good again!
Brad.

Don Sims
12-18-2006, 11:56 AM
It's great to read that things are starting to get back to normal. Brad, have a couple of toddy's for us too!

BradT
12-19-2006, 04:01 AM
Don, the toddys for you will definitely happen this next week or so.;)
Brad

Stanley Park, Vancouver's equivalent to Central Park, is located on a peninsula jutting into English Bay, directly facing the Westerlies coming off the Pacific through Georgia Straight. It took the brunt of some of the highest gusts, and the Parks Board say it will take weeks to clear all the smaller roads and trails in the area, and possibly years to clear all the fallen timber in the forests in this huge park. Hurricane Freda, in '62, did a lot of damage to this park, but not nearly as much as Friday morning's storm!

BradT
12-19-2006, 06:19 AM
A pic of one of the damaged homes:

firemanbill
12-19-2006, 11:45 AM

man that cut through that house like butter! they were very fortunate!

BradT
12-20-2006, 05:28 AM
Very fortunate indeed! according to the story with that pic, they had become concerned by the branches and debris hitting the house, and had gone down to the basement just minutes before that monster split the house in two. The home, just 2 years old, is condemned, a total write-off. I hope their insurance co. makes good on it! The local City and Municipal govts are looking for Provincial and Federal disaster relief funds to help with the cleanup costs.

aviatordave
12-20-2006, 06:07 AM
wow, that would have put the 2nd floor into the middle of the first floor. Amazing to witness the power of Mother Nature....

Crash Test Dummy
12-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Wow, that is a scary picture. Hope you guys get things back to normal soon!!! Good Luck.

CTD

adhoc
03-27-2007, 01:39 AM
I'll fly again, whether it is today or tomorrow or next week or next month... ;)Heh, well, it turned out to be over THREE months later, but I did finally get back in the air today... :eek:

Between the cold and the wet and the wind, I just gave up any attempt to fly during the winter. And it turned out to be a good thing for me, because I realized I was too focused on this one hobby for my own good...

So I got a set of electronic drums, and I've been really enjoying them! I can play them rain or shine... I also got a dog, and she's wonderful!! Keeps me busy, too...

When I finally took my SlowStick up today, I wondered how quickly it would all come back to me. The answer is: just like riding a bicycle, you never forget! There was a healthy wind (for a Stick), and I was at a totally new field, but I was zooming around with confidence as though these three+ wintery months had never happened... :)

Good to be back in the air!

firemanbill
03-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Heh, well, it turned out to be over THREE months later, but I did finally get back in the air today... :eek:

Between the cold and the wet and the wind, I just gave up any attempt to fly during the winter. And it turned out to be a good thing for me, because I realized I was too focused on this one hobby for my own good...

So I got a set of electronic drums, and I've been really enjoying them! I can play them rain or shine... I also got a dog, and she's wonderful!! Keeps me busy, too...

When I finally took my SlowStick up today, I wondered how quickly it would all come back to me. The answer is: just like riding a bicycle, you never forget! There was a healthy wind (for a Stick), and I was at a totally new field, but I was zooming around with confidence as though these three+ wintery months had never happened... :)

Good to be back in the air!

Well Welcome back Andy! Glad to hear all is well!:D

Kosh
03-27-2007, 02:01 AM
I wondered where you went Andy, Glad to hear your having fun again with the SS. Been lots going on here in the forum so you need a little catch up time to read up. Hope to fly with you again sometime this summer but till then take care.

adhoc
03-30-2007, 06:54 PM
I wondered where you went Andy, Glad to hear your having fun again with the SS. Been lots going on here in the forum so you need a little catch up time to read up. Hope to fly with you again sometime this summer but till then take care.
THanks Lon, good to be back. I tossed my EasyStar up this morning. Man, I'd forgotten how much I love that plane!!

I just scanned through some of the new posts, didn't see anything unusual. What did I miss? Give me the Executive Summary... ;)

Definitely would be good to fly with you again. I work one or two days a week in Bellevue now, so I pass Fry's (coming up from Tacoma). But that's weekdays... Anyway, see you sooner or later... :)