PDA

View Full Version : AWESOME Gee Bee ARF !!!!

donjiskra
12-16-2006, 11:08 PM
All you Gee Bee lovers, check out this very impressive electric ARF:
www.x-flight.hk/e/products/productdetails.asp?ic=YFM-EG-GB (http://www.x-flight.hk/e/products/productdetails.asp?ic=YFM-EG-GB)

Video available at:
http://www.x-flight.hk/e/products/viewvideo.asp?fn=62

YFM company information: http://www.yfrcmodel.com/

$89.00 plus shipping costs from Hong Kong.

Looks like a winner, but no US distributor, so it needs to be ordered from Hong Kong. Contact "Rocky",
Customer Services X-Flight xflighthk@gmail.com

His reply to me regarding shipping costs:

The shipping charge of all our products can be check after you add the item to our cart system.

For your quick information, the shipping cast is:

Location United States of America Weight 2.7 kg (5.95 LBS)
SpeedPost: (Within 1 weeks) US$ 49.50
Overseas Parcel Air Parcel: (Within 2-3 weeks) US$ 38.56
Overseas Parcel Surface Parcel Nearly 1 month) US$ 24.70

We do not have a US distributor, you may directly purchase from us.
Regards
Rocky

buzzltyr
12-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Don, have you ordered one of these? If you do, I'd enjoy hearing about the construction, what power system, etc. I just bought a set of plans for the Z, and have been thinking about scratching one this winter. But it's a daunting task, especially the landing gear. The plans I have are for one about the same size, and roughly about the same weight. It was designed for glow with a .25 engine.

So, if you jump in and get one, please post about it. Thanks!

Mark

donjiskra
12-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Mark,
No, I haven't ordered one yet. Have to wait until budget allows it.
Looking forward to more information also, from somebody who orders one.

I've done some ot their metric specs: Thanks to the eCalculator program

Flying weight: 2.6 - 3.11 lbs
Wing Area: 356 sq in
Wing Loading: 17.6 oz/sq ft

I like that it has a fiberglass fuselage.

I do know that the Gee Bee needs to keep the power up for landing but otherwise it is a very capable perfomer. I saw Delmar Benjamin's full scale replica at EAA's Air Venture for many years, it is an amazing sight to behold. The FAA made him stop doing aerobatics. Too bad!!

Regards,
Don

buzzltyr
12-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Don,
Watching the video, it is a rocket. And it has the nose over on landing that I have seen with all Gee Bee's. I had also done the metric/english conversions on the stats.

I purchased a set of plans from Rob, link to his Z here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6382685&postcount=523
Rob's has a wingspan of 38" and weighs 2.1 lbs. He designed it for a .25 two stroke before he converted it to electric. Having looked at the plans, the only thing that I find daunting is the LG and the spats. I think getting them "right" is going to be a task (along with getting the big wing fairings correct). Rob does think a careful builder could lighten it up somewhat, though.

I live in a suburb of Springfield, MA (home of the Granville Brothers). A couple of guys I fly with used to hang out with the Granville's as kids, and remember the GB's (they are now in their 70's and 80's). One of them served as an interviewer and consultant on a public television documentary about the Granvilles that our local PBS station did a decade ago. There is about a 75% scale model that hangs in the Springfield visitors center of an R2.

I am really tempted by this one.....

Mark

donjiskra
12-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Mark,
Our club has the documentary. Excellent history, great interviews.
in 1940, my okder brother built his first rubber model, the Gee Bee. I've been in awe of it ever since.

The FYM Gee Bee video clearly shows it's a rocket and lives up to it's fame.
The nose over at the end probaly could have been prevented if the pilot applied UP elevator to keep the tail down, but it shows the models strength.

Hope you do get one.

Don

cyclops2
12-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Fairings are ALMOST fun with chunks of sanded foam.:cool:

stinkweed007
01-07-2007, 10:56 PM
well.. dont beat him up on the landing... he landed with ALOT of backwind (saw that on his antenna streamer) you could see the had a gust or two that lifted him twice at about 6'.. snazzy plane though!!

diablo
01-08-2007, 04:39 AM
WOW, I want that ;)

Ron
01-11-2007, 11:31 PM
doesn't look like it has the right cowl on it?

Rudderman98
01-12-2007, 02:05 AM
These are the same planes that KMP sells.
The Gee Bee is the same model as the KMP "white" version.

Good planes overall.