PDA

View Full Version : Gsp P-40

rcjake
07-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Hi All,

I am finishing the smaller version of the Giant Scale Planes P-40 arf that calls for a 46 2c or 70 4c. It is being powered with a PJS 3D 2500, has a Jeti 40 Amp speed controller and two Tanic 14.8v 2450 MAh Li-Poli battery packs wired in parallel. A seperate 4.8v battery pack is being used to power the servos. Hopefully, it will fly tomorrow AM. (today?!?!?!)

Photos of the motor installation and finished aircraft will be posted later along with a flight report.

Jake

Matt Kirsch
07-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Looks like you're going to beat me into the air... I won't be able to test fly until at least tomorrow morning.

rcjake
07-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Here are a few photos of the P-40 I just finished. (I thought!)

We got to the field for the check out and test hop only to find that the elevator servo would not hold neutral and was very jittery. (New Hitec HS 635HB) There is now a new servo installed and we will be trying the P-40 out this afternoon, weather permitting! I will post the results later.

I may not get into the air first, Matt. Good luck with yours!!!

Jake

135 136 137 138 139

Mike Parsons
07-29-2005, 09:06 PM
That looks sweet!

rcjake
07-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks Mike. It should be fun to see against the desert mountains around our club field...

Jake

rcjake
07-30-2005, 05:19 AM
Well, the P-40 got into the air late this afternoon and it flew great. It only required 6 clicks of up trim on the elevator for straight & level flight. There was power to spare and it was flown at 1/2 throttle for most of the flight. Full throttle was only used at take-off and during vertical manuevers.

I am very impressed with this ARF from Giant Scale Planes and this power system. So much so, that I believe that I need to build one for myself!!!

Jake

JFGrn
07-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Great Job on the conversion Jake!! Thats one of the best looking P-40 ARF's I've seen!

John

pcphill
07-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Nice Job! The P40 is my favorite warbird, and the GSP is on my Christmas list, although I'm hoping for the larger version. Are you doing retracts?

rcjake
07-31-2005, 08:51 PM
pcphill,

Retracts were ordered from GSP with the P-40, but they would not fit in the wing correctly. So, after a quick call & trip to the LHS, I purchased and fit a set of Hobbico 40 size Corsair retracts into the wing. I did have to swap the gear legs from one side to the other to get them to retract into the wing correctly, but now everything works great. However, I found out from Hobbico support that these particular retracts have been discontinued.

This P-40 is not a handfull on the ground or during take-off. It tracks straight down the runway with very little rudder input during the take-off run and lifts into the air easily. It tracks great in the air and really looks great on those low fly-bys with the gear up and drop tank hanging down.

You should get you one and try it.

Jake

pcphill
08-01-2005, 12:52 AM
My budget is maxed out now, but by Christmas (and SEFF) I'm gonna have one. Which retracts didn't work? I was hoping to find some Robarts or Spring-Air to fit. I've seen a lot of the Hanger9 glow Arfs have gear failures...

luc
08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
not on the P-40,...no problem on the std H9 retracts

fldmshlschroe
08-12-2005, 10:43 PM
rc jake,

I have the GSP p-40 140 version and am about to finish it, although I fly some electric planes, I made this one gas....

Can you please tell me what you set your cg at and also what you set the throws for the control surfaces at???? Just want to check what worked good for you!

If you guys want I will post some pictures of it, but since this is an all electric site, I dont want to offend you guys(and ladies).

Thanks,
John

Gonsos
08-15-2005, 07:42 AM
rc jake,

I have the same P-40

AXI 4130/16
CC PH 60
4 packs Polyquest 2600 10C 6S2P 5200mAh
Hitec HS-85BB for ailerons and elevator
Hitec HS-225BB for rudder
Hitec HS-75BB for retract

I'm still working on it.

I've seen the Cubano8 thread in RC Groups with a fatal end in the maiden.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375831 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375831)

Cubano thinks that the recommended CG is not wright. Please can you tell us your experience about that?

Thanks.

drksyd
11-22-2005, 02:45 AM
The cg will be good for a glow setup, I would move it up a bit say maybe 3/8-1/2". Why? When you balance a glow plane you balance it empty. When you add fuel, the cg changes drastically as the fuel tank is usually mounted near the motor. For a .40 size plane, that would be about 10oz's of weight, where would that put the cg? The reason why you balance the plane empty is if you run out of fuel in flight, you still need it to be balanced to come down. Since we don't add fuel before flying, move the cg up with batteries in place. Besides, you can always move it back to tailor it how you want it. On the other hand, don't get crazy and move it up too much or you might not have enough elevator.