PDA

View Full Version : New Product "Foam In A Tube"

E-Challenged
09-24-2005, 05:17 AM
Somebody mentioned "Foam In A Tube" Should be a boon to GWS foam plane builders for filling gaps, mold holes or making repairs.:) BTW, it's sold in Craft stores and craft departments.

james aerni
09-29-2005, 02:35 AM
Somebody mentioned "Foam In A Tube" Should be a boon to GWS foam plane builders for filling gaps, mold holes or making repairs.:) BTW, it's sold in Craft stores and craft departments.

E-Ch....do you have any more information on this product? I can't find in
at the Michaels Craft and Hobby. Closest thing is at Home Depot and referred to as expanding foam for insulation purposes.

K5083
09-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I couldn't find it at my Michaels either and would like to know more.

DiabloKid
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I already use a product similar to this. its called Great Stuff and is vasically plumbers foam. It expands as it dries and is good to fill in spots. I used it to repair my Twinjet that lost its front end in a crash. Once dried you sand it to how you like and then paint it. You can also fill it with filler and sand if you want a super smooth finish.

I usually dont since my Twinjet is an old beater

Find it at Lowes, Home Depot or similar in the plumbing section.

matt

John Seidelman
09-29-2005, 11:39 PM
You have to be prepared though, You will press the button and get a spay of stuff. Then it WILL GROW in size and Grow some more. Practice before you turn it loose on your models.

E-Challenged
10-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Haven't gone looking for it but it's supposed to be at craft stores. BTW, does Great Stuff dissolve model foam at all? I've seen it at Home Depot, etc. so it is not hard to find.

james aerni
10-03-2005, 12:13 AM
http://greatstuff.dow.com/

I sent them a question asking if it melted styro....
The sited mentions that it also as adhesive qualities....and some types
foam more than others. Very interesting, no?

watt_the?!
10-03-2005, 12:16 AM
guys , if its anything like the expanding foam filler we have here for plumbing, then its very heavy....very heavy.

i filled the centre of a FS F16 and wanted to carve a tight centre to house the motor etc....

its alot heavier than depron/foam etc...

and a very coarse, crystalline structure. it also expands aggressively and if constrained can actually rupture the area its in.

Tim.

james aerni
10-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks John and Tim. Good things to consider. This is the reply I got from
Dow when I asked them if the Great Stuff would melt or deform styro.
"Dear Jim,

Thank you for contacting The Dow Chemical Company. Great Stuff will not melt Styrofoam,
or other foams it comes in contact with. If we can further assist you, please contact
us at 1-888-868-1183 opt#1.

WWI Ace
10-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Might be fun to make a mold and shoot some of this into it to make variations of the GWS warbirds!!!

Fred420
10-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Do Not Use ................. Shoe-Goo!!!!!!!! :eek:

I was told that it is OK for foam ............... WRONG
It changed a small crack, in my combat wing, to the Grand Canyon. I could not stop the melt down :( I scooped out what I could to remove as much foam to minamise the damage. Now I will have to do a a patch job with real foam. I might even try the expanding type.

Fred420

hoppy
10-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Another way to make foam is to add water to Polyurethane glue. It will foam up and harden into a light, hard, sandable mass. Gorilla or Elmers PU work great. Just add an equal amount of water, stir, pour off the excess water and put a small amount in the hole to be filled. It is also an excellent adhesive for all foam construction.

Fred420
10-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Hoppy,

Is that foam repair strong? I guess what I need to know, is it flexable or is it rock hard? This is on my glow combat wing and it is made out of the Blue Foam.

Fred420

frvrngn
10-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Do Not Use ................. Shoe-Goo!!!!!!!! :eek:

I was told that it is OK for foam ............... WRONG
It changed a small crack, in my combat wing, to the Grand Canyon. I could not stop the melt down :( I scooped out what I could to remove as much foam to minamise the damage. Now I will have to do a a patch job with real foam. I might even try the expanding type.

Fred420

I was told the same thing, and the exact same thing happened to me:mad: I used it on my Stryker. One thing I did notice, it will "melt" the foam around it as it did all get very soft. BUT - once it cured overnight, all that melted foam was hard as a rock. The ShoeGoo itself was still its regular rubbery self, but the foam that surrounds it that was all mush dried rather hard. It is holding up now to flying, but I havent used it since. I am still looking for a good, thick adhesive to glue back pieces.

hoppy
10-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Hoppy,

Is that foam repair strong? I guess what I need to know, is it flexable or is it rock hard? This is on my glow combat wing and it is made out of the Blue Foam.

Fred420

The PU without water foams slightly, fills into any small cracks, and sets up hard. Hard enough to require a dremmel to sand it. The foamed with water is a little softer but not elastic. It is very strong. If you get a new break, it will not be in the repaired joint. When I use it, I cover the joint with masking tape to minimize the amout of ooze out that needs to be sanded off later.

runwaydodger
10-07-2005, 04:14 AM
I was told the same thing, and the exact same thing happened to me:mad: I used it on my Stryker. One thing I did notice, it will "melt" the foam around it as it did all get very soft. BUT - once it cured overnight, all that melted foam was hard as a rock. The ShoeGoo itself was still its regular rubbery self, but the foam that surrounds it that was all mush dried rather hard. It is holding up now to flying, but I havent used it since. I am still looking for a good, thick adhesive to glue back pieces.

i use the handymans adhesive found at your wal-mart. it is kinda rubbery, but it holds up very well. used it on several foamy jets.(if you new how i fly you would believe me.:rolleyes:) also dries clear.

Chip60rc
01-25-2006, 12:45 AM
I found that Liquid Nails Perfect GLUE 1 makes a great foam cement/adhesive that works real nice on 1/4" BlueCor FF. I have tried other adhesives including Gorilla and Weldbond and they worked well, but the Perfect GLUE 1 worked the best. I am prototyping a BlueCor / foam meat tray 36"WS P-38 for twin Speed 400 motors and I am using the Perfect GLUE 1 on the BlueCor foam and the xlarge foam meat trays. The combo of both foam materials makes a nice flying and lightweight plane. Most super markets have the large foam meat trays (12" x 18" approx 3/16" thk) and will sell them or in some cases give the damaged ones to you. I have access to a lot of the meat trays and BlueCor if anyone has an interest.

"Foamies fly high and dry.. Into the Sky.."

cfischer505
02-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Another way to make foam is to add water to Polyurethane glue. It will foam up and harden into a light, hard, sandable mass. Gorilla or Elmers PU work great. Just add an equal amount of water, stir, pour off the excess water and put a small amount in the hole to be filled. It is also an excellent adhesive for all foam construction.

You can add about 50% micro balloons to that mix and it foams up well and is light, I would use less if you need it to be structual

meatball
02-18-2006, 10:02 PM
I second the water and poly glue, works great and is very strong, and for wing trailing edges, woodpecker then paint on the glue and water, and it foams up into the holes to form rivets, very strong stuff.

Practice with it first, a little water goes a long way, and also, it takes about 15 minutes to stop foaming, then after 30, its dry to the touch, cured in about 45 and done in 3 hours or so.

VACaver
02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
You have to be prepared though, You will press the button and get a spay of stuff. Then it WILL GROW in size and Grow some more. Practice before you turn it loose on your models.

Sounds like a project I was working on at work...I had to make a "positive" form out of a "negative" mold.

I used a foam that you had to mix, but had no clue how much to use. Needless to say, I mixed up too much, poured it in, then watched as a Monster expanded and flowed EVERYWHERE:eek: