PDA

View Full Version : What kind of sunglasses do you use?

Grasshopper
12-18-2006, 05:24 AM
I'm curious what types of sunglasses people use. Since we're staring up in the sky for extended periods of time, we need protection from the sun's rays. Unfortunately, when I wear them, they seem to "shadow out" my warbirds against the tree line on approaches.

Do you guys use colored, yellow shooting glasses or what? I usually end up having to take them off so I can stay oriented with the dark colors on my planes.

Tom

BradT
12-18-2006, 05:34 AM
My regular prescription, with amber tint, polarized, and anti-glare coating. Normally no problem as the planes drop below the tree line, as the sun is at our backs all afternoon, so as long as the plane has a little colour to it (no camo!!) it shows up well.
Brad.

aviatordave
12-18-2006, 05:43 AM
I wear something similiar to these. I call them wrap-arounds as they fit snugly and dont let any light in. I even wear them on overcast days...seems my eyes get more sensitive to light as I get older. I am debating on wearing them into some of these super stores as they are lit up inside like a sunny day. Since I wear them so much I really dont have difficulty with RC flying (the important stuff!)

Just like on my avitar!

Dave

Rugar
12-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I wear my auto darkening prescription glasses.

Don Sims
12-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Same as Gerald but the tri-focals get interesting when following fast planes through aerobatics. I do a lot of head bobbing.

Rabbitcreekok
12-18-2006, 03:12 PM
I wear a pair of Zurich sunglasses. They fit over my prescription glasses and provide wraparound coverage from the sun. They work really well and come in many tints and shapes. They will also stop bullets. I don't really expect to be shot in the sunglasses at the flying field but hey, stranger things have happened.

Adrian
12-27-2006, 07:52 PM
I wear polarized varifocal sunglasses with whats called MAR or AR coatings front & rear. (I'm a manager in an opticians) I've tried every lens on the market & tints etc, polar with MAR is the best by far! Dig deep into that wallet-how much do you value your eye's (or your models):cool:

rca
12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
I wear some Maui Jim sun glasses that were a gift from Mary Kay on one of my wife's Top Director Trips. I'm pretty sure they are from the Maui Jim's Sport line. I believe all of the Maui Jim's are polarized.

I've been flying in very bright cloudless blue skys the last few days and they have worked great. I wear these every day for regular activities like driving too. Very good contrast.

Ron

Jason T
12-28-2006, 12:45 AM
I wear polarized sunglasses that wrap around some.

ORD2FRA
01-21-2007, 04:06 AM
http://www.habervision.com/

Started by the same guy that started Bolle back in the 90's. They have both prescription and regular specs, and they are always polarized.

When you first look at their catalog, prices may seem high, but then you get a "special" rate about 3-4 minutes after clicking on their site, and the prices drip considerably.

I have Pumice Montserrats, and love them. They come with a nice aluminum crush-proof case. Sorry if I sound like a shill but these are one of my top 10 possessions (others being car, stereo, digital camera, ipod...)

Crash Test Dummy
01-21-2007, 04:51 AM
I have an OLD pair of Ray Ban Way Fair's. God are they ugly but they have some of the best len's I have ever looked through. I look like Tom Cruise in the movie Risky Business!! However I don't care they work great on those bright sunny days.

CTD

Tinman
01-22-2007, 08:41 PM
I have a pair of Randolf Aviator glasses, highly recomend them :)

http://randolphsunglasses.com/Store/Service/Detail/Product/11/Aviation_Sunglasses/Aviator___Chrome_Frame.html

redneckflyer
01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
i use just regular $15 walmart brand aviator glasses. they work better than some of the high dollar ones too!

Tinman
01-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Thats a good idea redneck, im with you there, especially if you sit on your glasses your not out of a lot of $$

Lieutenant Loughead
05-04-2010, 04:55 AM
I know I'm late to this discussion, but here's my story:

Circa 1985, I started wearing Vuarnet Cat Eyes. Back then, they cost me $200 per pair, and I bought two pair... Those eventually got scratches on the lenses, which I sent back to France to be fixed (and they did fix them) -- and then I scratched the lenses again...

Then, I found a deal on Vuarnet Cat Eyes at Sam's Club -- $100 per pair. I bought two more pair... Eventually, those got scratches on them, but I continued to wear them -- until I broke the plastic earpiece... I loaned my "good pair" to a friend so he could play Tom Cruise at a costume party he was attending -- he said he got drunk and broke them (but I wonder if he just couldn't bear to see me wearing 20-year-old-style sunglasses, and broke them intentionally)...

So, I bought a NEW pair on eBay for $20. :cool:

Now, I know they're a style that's about 30 years old. However, they look BLACK from the front, and YELLOW when you look through them. They have a BLUE anti-glare coating on the back of the glass. Most importantly, many of you know me as someone who really TESTS things (motors, speed controls, etcetera) -- well, my sunglasses are no different.

I ran a small battery of tests on my Vuarnet Cat Eyes and found they REALLY DO BLOCK UV LIGHT. I've tested many other brands which SAY they block UV light -- but they DON'T!!! :eek: That's the main reason I've never bought anything else...

Now, my "good pair" of Vuarnet Cat Eyes have a new scratch on them... I'm thinking of going Oakley this time -- but I'm just not sure they'll really block UV light... :o How good are they -- really? :o

hillbillynamedpossum
05-04-2010, 05:12 AM
If you want a pair of glasses that block uv....get a pair of uv safety glasses. Mine are ugly as homemade soap and are tinted yellow. They do make colors "pop" though. I use the uv glasses to save my eyes when doing a uv freon leak search. (I shoot in a dye, run the system a few months......the leak sticks out like a sore thumb when the uv light hits it)

As far as sunglasses go, I wear Stihl brand safety glasses from the local feed and farm supply. They are about shade 2...so I can use them when I silver solder with the torch. They are the wrap around style, they look good, are ANSI Z-87 rated for safety glasses, and best of all, they are about $10.

Possum

Possum

BEAR-AvHistory
05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Aviator style prescription for distance, polarized & antiglare coated glasses. They are very good at not letting any light in.

JetPlaneFlyer
05-04-2010, 03:25 PM
What is this 'sun' thing?

Steve
(Resident of Aberdeen, north Scotland where the sun is rarely seen)

stevecooper
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
What is this 'sun' thing?

Steve
(Resident of Aberdeen, north Scotland where the sun is rarely seen)
I'm with you on the Sun thing as I live in Florida USA,,,If I gotta see another darned pretty sun-set over the Bay I'll shoot myself!:Q,,,
I wore Maui jim's for years but gave my last pair ot KnuckelHead (wattflyer Bub I sail with), As I can't see with Glasses anymore,,so I use the transition lense's now,,Bubsteve

groundrushesup
05-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Because I wear Rx glasses I picked up a pair of these:

Walmart: OveRxCast Polarized Sunglasses - Black (http://www.walmart.com/ip/OveRxCast-Polarized-Sunglasses-Black-Gray/9607054?sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9607054)

20 bucks, they wrap around the sides...

Not exactly studly but I don't lose a plane in the sun lol

JetPlaneFlyer
05-04-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm with you on the Sun thing as I live in Florida USA,,,If I gotta see another darned pretty sun-set over the Bay I'll shoot myself!:Q,,,

Ahh.. but; Scotland may not get much sun but we are richly blessed with two of the earth's other great natural resources.. winds and rain.

Somehow I find this of cold comfort:sad:

Steve

Lieutenant Loughead
05-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Well, you guys got me thinking... During lunch, I went to Lowe's today, and bought a UV light. After work, I went to Bass Pro Shops to visit the sunglass counter. There, I asked the nice man if I could test his sunglasses with my UV light -- he agreed. He was SHOCKED at the results, though was very interested at the same time.

I, on the other hand was not at all surprised by the results...

I tested 3 different pair of Oakley sunglasses ($150 to $200 per pair) -- all failed the test and allowed approximately 20% of the UV light to pass through the lens.

I tested 1 pair of Maui Jim sunglasses ($280) -- it also failed the test and allowed approximately 20% of the UV light to pass through the lens.

I tested 1 pair of Wiley X sunglasses ($150) -- it also failed the test and allowed approximately 20% of the UV light to pass through the lens.

Finally, I tested 4 pair of Cocoons ($45 per pair) -- 2 pair failed the test (allowing approximately 20% of the UV light to pass through the lens), but the other 2 pair actually blocked about 98% of the UV light. This was ALMOST as good as the Vuarnet sunglasses -- which blocked 100% of the UV light.

I honestly don't understand how so many sunglass manufacturers can claim they block 100% of UV light, when such a simple test proves them wrong. :confused:

For what it's worth, I offered to let the sunglass salesman test any of his sunglasses against my 1980's Vuarnets -- and he eagerly accepted. He said my test made a believer out of him! He said I was the first person in 5 years to bring in a UV light and test the glasses, and asked what I did for a living -- I told him I'm a project manager for an engineering company. He said he figured it would be something like that. ;)

While the sunglass salesman was testing his glasses against my Vuarnets, a CUSTOMER asked what we were doing. The salesman acutally told him all about it, and the three of us had a great time testing sunglasses for the next 20 to 30 minutes. :D

Turner
05-05-2010, 05:19 AM
How about a pair of good old Ray ban Aviators with G-15 neutral gray lenses. I've been using them for almost thirty years and nothing else even comes close in my opinion.

groundrushesup
05-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Well, you guys got me thinking... During lunch, I went to Lowe's today, and bought a UV light. After work, I went to Bass Pro Shops to visit the sunglass counter. There, I asked the nice man if I could test his sunglasses with my UV light -- he agreed. He was SHOCKED at the results, though was very interested at the same time.

I, on the other hand was not at all surprised by the results...

I tested 3 different pair of Oakley sunglasses ($150 to $200 per pair) -- all failed the test and allowed approximately 20% of the UV light to pass through the lens.

I tested 1 pair of Maui Jim sunglasses ($280) -- it also failed the test and allowed approximately 20% of the UV light to pass through the lens.

I tested 1 pair of Wiley X sunglasses ($150) -- it also failed the test and allowed approximately 20% of the UV light to pass through the lens.

Finally, I tested 4 pair of Cocoons ($45 per pair) -- 2 pair failed the test (allowing approximately 20% of the UV light to pass through the lens), but the other 2 pair actually blocked about 98% of the UV light. This was ALMOST as good as the Vuarnet sunglasses -- which blocked 100% of the UV light.

I honestly don't understand how so many sunglass manufacturers can claim they block 100% of UV light, when such a simple test proves them wrong. :confused:

For what it's worth, I offered to let the sunglass salesman test any of his sunglasses against my 1980's Vuarnets -- and he eagerly accepted. He said my test made a believer out of him! He said I was the first person in 5 years to bring in a UV light and test the glasses, and asked what I did for a living -- I told him I'm a project manager for an engineering company. He said he figured it would be something like that. ;)

While the sunglass salesman was testing his glasses against my Vuarnets, a CUSTOMER asked what we were doing. The salesman acutally told him all about it, and the three of us had a great time testing sunglasses for the next 20 to 30 minutes. :D

Are you a retired man, leftenant? :p>

Lieutenant Loughead
05-05-2010, 01:19 PM
LOL -- no, I'm not retired. I'm only 17 years into my post-graduate career -- I still have another 25 years (or so) before retirement. I just question everything. People don't do what you EXpect -- they do what you INspect. That's something I learned as a "green" project manager a few years ago. :)

groundrushesup
05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
LOL -- no, I'm not retired. I'm only 17 years into my post-graduate career -- I still have another 25 years (or so) before retirement. I just question everything. People don't do what you EXpect -- they do what you INspect. That's something I learned as a "green" project manager a few years ago. :)

Well, the ability to slow down enough to examine things this much is something I truly envy, and not sometign I do as much as I used to...

Case in point - I was at Subway the other day ordering a sandwich - when I asked for Swiss cheese, the 16 year-old "Sandwich Artist" announced from behind the counter that "We are out of Swiss, but we got Provolone. Its the same thing really just not round."

After a good deep guffaw, I looked at the lady next in line and said "Sure, its the same - but without the bubbles, right?" The woman rolled her eyes and smiled knowingly. The kid, however, looked at me like I was a mental patient.

Feeling the urge to educate Mr. Spicoli well up inside me, I took deep breath, and decided I would enjoy my sandwich more if I just walked away.

So I guess, I pick my battles. :D

Uhh, off topic? Sorry, I was wearing my sunglasses at the time :p>

Lieutenant Loughead
05-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Well, thank you, but don't envy it too much -- it gets me into a lot of trouble with people who don't understand that is my normal mode of operation. Some people take offense, as if I am attacking them personally.

It happens more often on web sites (like this one) -- I won't even visit RC Groups any more... :o

MS_in_NY
05-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Ummm, because it's not a valid test?

What was used as a UV detector in those tests?

The visible light emitted by a "UV" lamp is not UV. Any dimming of the lamp observed with your eyes was happening well below UV wavelengths.

.......Mike

Lieutenant Loughead
05-06-2010, 01:41 AM
That's a valid point -- my eye can not see UV light. I had not thought of that. Okay -- where can I buy a UV detector? I want to do this right.

So, I suppose my Vuarnet sunglasses block light "well below UV wavelengths" as well as UV light. :D

MS_in_NY
05-06-2010, 02:43 AM
Okay -- where can I buy a UV detector? I want to do this right.

Don't know, but as someone who dabbles in astrophotography I know that some, perhaps most, unfiltered ccd chips are sensitive to light on both sides of the visible spectrum. Because wavelengths of light focus at different distances, infrared (long) and UV (short), they must be filtered out or they will blur an image focused at the center of the visible spectrum.

Using the equipment of astronomy, I'd say you'd need a ccd detector sensitive to UV and a bandpass filter that blocks everything but UV. Then you'd need an ultra stable UV source and a calibrated aperture.

By taking precisely timed exposures with and without the sunglasses in front of the UV pass filter you could analyze the resulting images and determine the filtering properties of the shades.

However, given the learning curve involved in ccd image processing at that level and the expense of even "cheap" ccd detectors capable of such an experiment I think the result of such an endeavor would be wholly unsatisfying.

Meaning...I suspect even the cheapest pair of sunglasses that claims to block 100 percent of UV light probably does.

........Mike

For the curious here's a link to my astrophoto gallery...

http://autostarsuite.net/photos/mike7mak/default.aspx

...they are average photos at best. There are a lot of guys way better at it than I.

offtom
05-08-2010, 01:23 AM
I like the KISS principal myself.

A baseball hat and the sun behind me.

All that other stuff is outta my pay grade.

Lieutenant Loughead
05-08-2010, 03:53 AM
I hear ya, Tom... I really have trouble letting go of $150 to $200 for a pair of sunglasses that I'm going to scratch or chip (and ruin) eventually anyway... :rolleyes:

Alpea42
05-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Yep , because I need corrective lenses to see clearly far,,, expensive perscription Sun Glassess are out of my price range...I get any cheap ones at the 99 cent store that fit over my glasses. LOL Right now I'm useing ones that have that red " Hi Def " effect. They help with orientation while flying.