PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Export Tax on RC goods

Rugar
12-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I bought a little over $300.00 worth of Lipo's from a well known Thunder Power dealer in Canada (I'm sure you know who it is). This was several months ago. Within a day or two of receiving my order, I get a bill from Canada (From a Tax agency or something. Don't remember exactly who sent it) telling me I owe $48.00 in Export Tax :eek:. I was like "ya right" and promptly filed it away in file 13 (The trash can). A month or so later I get a letter from a Collection Agency in Canada requesting the $48.00 be paid to keep my credit rating clean (File 13 again!). Since then I have received two more letters from the same Collection Agency telling me the same thing.

How can Canada charge a US citizen Export Tax for something leaving their Country. I could understand if the US wanted to charge me something for my goods entering this Country (which they do not). If Canada wants export tax paid they should be going after the company that exported it. I have made lots of orders from this company without ever being charged a Export Tax, but all the previous orders were under a $100.00

Anyone else ever had this happen? I wonder if they really can put a bad mark on my Credit history from another Country? But I STILL AINT PAYING IT :rolleyes:! It just sucks because now if I order anything else from Canada I'm sure they will hold my order. Guess the next order will have to be in another name and sent to another address ;).

MacMyers
12-22-2006, 03:11 PM
I bought a little over $300.00 worth of Lipo's from a well known Thunder Power dealer in Canada (I'm sure you know who it is). This was several months ago. Within a day or two of receiving my order, I get a bill from Canada (From a Tax agency or something.
<snip>
But I STILL AINT PAYING IT :rolleyes:! It just sucks because now if I order anything else from Canada I'm sure they will hold my order. Guess the next order will have to be in another name and sent to another address ;).

I'm a Purchasing Agent and buy lots of stuff from Canada. It's never happened to me so I would assume that my Vendors are paying it... and of course, working it into the price I pay.
Any "company etc." can lodge a "claim" with the 3 big credit reporting agencies. They do have to prove their claim if/when you challenge it (which you would). That will give them like 30 days to provide the evidence. It they don't then off it goes. You'd have a chance to reply and have that as part of the record too.
Now... As am American whenever a Govt. Agency says I owe money I squeal like a little girl, fold up into the fetal position, and mail a check ASAP. It's cheaper and keeps you off the IRS etc.'s radar. I dunno about Canada coming after an American.
I'd contact the Vendor and ask them to explain it.

ronstew
12-22-2006, 04:30 PM
This must be a scam. Please scan and post one of these letters (blacking out personal information, obviously). You are certain that you threw out the first one?

Canada and the US have a free trade agreement. I know that there is an export tax on softwood lumber, but that is a special case. I am 99.999% certain that there are no export taxes on consumer goods. Even if there is one, the exporter is responsible for paying the export tax. You, the importer would be responsible for import tax.

Also, what company did you buy from? Spell it out - you are not accusing them of anything.

Rugar
12-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Yes I did throw out the original. I do have one of the letters from the Collection Agency.

The Company I purchased the goods from is Dragon Fly Innovations. They have the best prices on TP packs I have found, free shipping on most packs, and no tax (well, usually ;))
https://www.rctoys.com/rc-products-catalog/RC-PARTS-THUNDER-POWER-LITHIUM-BATTERIES.html

I just called Dragon Fly and was told that this does happen now and then, but it is a mistake in paper work on the part of the Canadian Govt. Agency. Dragon Fly asked me to send them a copy of the letter and said they would take care of it for me. They said if they could not get it straitened out, they would pay the tax for me. I will let you know how this turns out. Thanks for the responses guys.

ForestCam
12-22-2006, 10:23 PM
Maybe you can only buy two battteries at a time with a minimum stay in Canada of 24 hours.

Rugar
12-28-2006, 07:49 PM
My wife gave the letter from the Canadian Collection Agency to a friend that owns a US Collection Agency. All sorted out now :D. Shouldn't be hearing from them again ;).

TLyttle
12-29-2006, 02:37 AM
Government bureaucrats... bleah...

Some braindead Arizona cop wrote me a ticket instead of helping me when my car broke down on the highway. They have been sending me letters for 12 years now, dunning me for payment of that ticket. I wrote them once to tell them that I was not properly represented in court on the ticket, but apparently the Legal System (I refuse to recognise it as a Justice System) are officially deaf. 12 years!

Your tax dollars at work...