PDA

View Full Version : flying an EasyGlider without a rudder servo?

Aero Ace Ace
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
If FedEx ever catches up with the packages that piled up over Christmas, I might have myself a non-electric EG on my doorstep soon. A few months ago I taught myself to fly with an electric EG. I learned a few things about stripping servos and building planes with cheap radios...despite the Elapor, it could only take so many crashes. My question is, should I bother with the rudder servo? I never used the rudder on the electric and I could turn it pretty tight for a 71" plane. My primary use for the new plane will be flight on the slope.

Sparky Paul
12-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Rudder is nice.
It's not mandatory, but personally satisfying to use it correctly.
And when you get into helicopters, your left thumb WILL get a 2-axis workout! :)

Aero Ace Ace
12-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Well I built it without adding a rudder servo, and it seems to fly well enough...I took it up Sierra Madre road to a spot overlooking a valley. Even as the wind seemed to be dieing down for the afternoon, the EG continued to climb. I can only guess it was warm air rising up from the valley. It didn't seem to matter where I put the plane it just wanted to stay up. And that made landing almost impossible! My Tx doesn't have the capacity for spoilerons.

AEAJR
12-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Flying on the slope, you can do without the rudder. Rudder control really helps on the thermal flights as it can help make the thermal turns more efficent, thus conserving energy. This is less of a concern on the slope.

Likewise the rudder can help with precision landings which may not be as much of an issue on the slope.

Just enjoy it. A great plane.

Don't forget the ballast rod for the wing tube. Makes a big difference on the slope.

Up&Away
01-02-2007, 07:34 AM
I concur with Ed. Just, in addition, you'll find the tail wiggling a bit in tighter turns. You're likely to loose speed/altitude easier in tighter turns. Keep that in mind, and go fly:)!