PDA

View Full Version : Pedestrians 1 - Formosa 0

CustomCougar
12-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Punched in my Formosa today. Here's the grim details.

Getting near the end of my battery cycle and notice some people walking towards me from downwind. Knowing I had to land soon and seeing that that their direction of travel would take them right thru my landing approach, I made a quick (stupid) decision to land immediately.

I was really too high for a final approach so the angle was very steep and in my haste I forgot to set my ailerons and elevators to low rates.

Long story short. Steep down angle...throttle cut.....flattening out for landing...gust of wind.....over reaction with high rates = Inverted nose in.

The autopsy revealed a fuselage broken in two thru the cockpit. B/L Motor destroyed. Cowling shattered. Rudder hinges ripped out. Stick mount loose. But the wing was fine!

I have to say, this Formosa was an awesome airplane. I recently graduated to it from an E-starter and had probably 30 crash free flights on it until this ugly incident. It's powered by a GWS 2208 BL motor and after getting it fine tuned, it just goes where you point it. I have learned to do rolls, outside loops and split S's. I was about teach myself inverted flight but I guess that'll have to wait.

Here's a shot of the damage.

offtom
12-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Should be a law about pedestrians.....;)

radralph
12-29-2006, 01:33 AM
glue it back together and train on it some more!

Rugar
12-29-2006, 01:41 AM
glue it back together and train on it some more!

I agree. A little epoxy and she will fly like new.

CustomCougar
12-29-2006, 03:30 AM
I agree. A little epoxy and she will fly like new.

I will definately patch it up. Hopefully it will fly like new. Actually better! I plan to upgrade the powerplant since I trashed the motor. The GWS 2208 was a great introduction to brushless. It was awesome on my E-Starter (and it's ultimate demise) and it was much better than stock on the Formosa. But as always........ MORE POWER!

I'll let you know when she flys again!

mpotter187
12-31-2006, 09:40 PM
I will definately patch it up. Hopefully it will fly like new. Actually better! I plan to upgrade the powerplant since I trashed the motor. The GWS 2208 was a great introduction to brushless. It was awesome on my E-Starter (and it's ultimate demise) and it was much better than stock on the Formosa. But as always........ MORE POWER!

I'll let you know when she flys again!

Thats the excact same place I broke my mosa, I just epoxied it back together and it still flies great. Worse comes to worse pm me I got almost a complete plane worth the spares I am looking to get rid of due to allergies with foam.

CustomCougar
01-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Thats the excact same place I broke my mosa, I just epoxied it back together and it still flies great. Worse comes to worse pm me I got almost a complete plane worth the spares I am looking to get rid of due to allergies with foam.

Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you about it.
I did get mine back together, but need a new brushless motor. In the mean time I'm going to try a brushed Electifly 370 with Gearbox from a Fun Force Hellcat I'm building. That motor setup supposedly gives the Hellcat unlimited veritical. I weighed that plane (minus electronics) and my Formosa (minus electronics) and 'Mosa only weighs 1 once more so I figure there should be enough power available to fly it.

Robbie d
01-02-2007, 09:25 AM
brushless motors are never destroyed!!!!
especially outrunners.

CustomCougar
01-02-2007, 06:18 PM
brushless motors are never destroyed!!!!
especially outrunners.

The outer housing with magnets is out of round. The magnets were scrambled too but I fixed that. It runs but heats up quickly 'cause the stator rubs on the magnets due to out-of round.

May use it resurrect my retired E-Starter that is more epoxy than foam.
Run her 'til she drops!

Twizter68
01-03-2007, 01:55 AM
You can rebuild her...you can make her better than she was before....

Better

Stronger

Faster

*insert audio clip fom Six Million Dollar Man here*